• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 10 |OT| Wish You Were Here

How did the league know Sanders was faking?

(He probably was, but how did they know it?)

“Despite the account given by Sanders during our November 2nd meeting, neither the video sequence of the pertinent plays nor the observations of the on-field official support Sanders’s contention that he was in severe pain, either before, while falling to the ground, lying on the ground, or when he was being assisted in leaving the field,” Anderson wrote. “Moreover, after missing the one play that is mandatory pursuant to the playing rules, and receiving no apparent treatment, Sanders returned to the game for a fourth down punt, on which he out sprinted all of his teammates 26 yards down the field, arriving at the ball ahead of all other Pittsburgh players, and then downing the ball. The video of the play shows Sanders running swiftly and effortlessly toward the punted ball, and then leaving the field with no sign of discomfort. Sanders also played the rest of the game without difficulty. Finally, there is no indication that Sanders has had prior cramping issues while in the NFL, and no Steelers’ medical records or information of any kind were presented that would support a finding that he incurred a cramp that was both as serious and as transient as Sanders suggests.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/09/emmanuel-sanders-steelers-fined-for-fake-injury/

harSon said:
I don't understand the notion that one shouldn't be outraged in bad calls that didn't cost a team the game. A bad call is a bad call, and I'm going to call it as such regardless of the outcome of the game.
Yeah, the problem is you keep calling it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. At a level far greater than any of the other more rational Steelers fans in this thread. It's just noise now, dude. That's what I think you don't realize. Most Giants fans in this thread disagreed with the PI call and the flag for the hit on Cruz being called a headshot. Most disagreed with it in the game day thread. I personally disagreed with them and said as much in that thread so what are you after outside of calling attention to your vagina profusely bleeding?

There comes a point when things are "better left to the delete key" to put it in your own words. Having a level of moderation and the ability to be reason tends to win the day against conspiracy theory and team martyrdom. I don't need to "get over" anything. I can't stop you from posting whatever the hell it is you want to post and it's certainly your right to do so but I'm genuinely curious what it is you seek to gain by going on and about this? It's not like your changing anyone's opinions? Teams get bad calls. It happens every week in every game. I think YOU need to get over it and move on.

harSon

Banned
How did the league know Sanders was faking?

(He probably was, but how did they know it?)

A. He was in the huddle, perfectly fine, before he dropped to the ground with "injury."
B. He wasn't out long.
C. He was able to go back onto the field without any help from the trainers.
D. Apparently on the ensuing punt, he out sprint every other Steelers player to the ball, and showed no signs of injury on that or any other future play.
E. He has no medical history of cramps (I didn't know you had to have medical history of crippling cramps to have one, but I'm not a doctor.)

They don't know 100% sure that he was faking, more like 99.9% sure.

harSon

Banned
Hey look:

I'm actually surprised considering they fined Harrison $20,000 for this hit on Brees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvfmN50ECQs

And Clark is every bit as big a repeat offender as Harrison too.

Edit: And knowing our look these last two years, Ben's child is definitely going to be born on the day of the Raven's game: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58662/could-big-ben-miss-ravens-game-over-baby I personally agree with his decision to be there for the birth of his first son, it'd just suck, as a fan, if it had to be on the day of one of the more important games of the season :(

bionic77

Edit: And knowing our look these last two years, Ben's child is definitely going to be born on the day of the Raven's game: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58662/could-big-ben-miss-ravens-game-over-baby I personally agree with his decision to be there for the birth of his first son, it'd just suck, as a fan, if it had to be on the day of one of the more important games of the season :(
It is scary to think that Ben can be a father!

You know you can't do it. You want Baltimore to suffer the same shame as the Steelers!

But they won't!
Was the game against the Steelers the best your team has played this year? I mean you scored on every possession against us in the 2nd half.

I am hopeful that Carson repeats that performance but I am also skeptical. I picked the Ravens in the office pool but I hope I am wrong.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah, the problem is you keep calling it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. At a level far greater than any of the other more rational Steelers fans in this thread. It's just noise now, dude. That's what I think you don't realize. Most Giants fans in this thread disagreed with the PI call and the flag for the hit on Cruz being called a headshot. Most disagreed with it in the game day thread. I personally disagreed with them and said as much in that thread so what are you after outside of calling attention to your vagina profusely bleeding?

There comes a point when things are "better left to delete key" to put it in your own words. Having a level of moderation and the ability to be reason tend to win the day against conspiracy theory and team martyrdom. I don't need to "get over" anything. I can't stop you from posting whatever the hell it is you want to post and it's certainly your right to do so but I'm genuinely curious what it is you seek to gain by going on and about this? It's not like your changing anyone's opinions? Teams get bad calls. It happens every week in every game. I think YOU need to get over it and move on.

I think if Packer fans can move on from the "intercepdown" or "touchception" or whatever you want to call it, I think everyone else can move on from anything that doesn't happen in the playoffs.

Raider fans to this day still have the biggest license to complain for getting straight up robbed.

Rorschach

Was the game against the Steelers the best your team has played this year? I mean you scored on every possession against us in the 2nd half.

I am hopeful that Carson repeats that performance but I am also skeptical. I picked the Ravens in the office pool but I hope I am wrong.

It's one of the few games where they decided they were gonna use McFadden on the ground. Plus, it helps that your secondary played like shit. This week, they are missing McFadden and his backup Goodson. I like Jones, but he has zero experience because they never use him. They're gonna throw it 90 times. -_-

squicken

It is scary to think that Ben can be a father!

Ravens have been crap this year. I thought they'd lose to CLE last week and still think they'll crash this year. No D and their plan is to go as far as Flacco can take them. Problem is that the AFC is so terrible that I think a few teams will gift them a few games and Carson is nothing if not generous

Rorschach

Ravens have been crap this year. I thought they'd lose to CLE last week and still think they'll crash this year. No D and their plan is to go as far as Flacco can take them. Problem is that the AFC is so terrible that I think a few teams will gift them a few games and Carson is nothing if not generous
I think it's so fucking stupid that they based the entire offense around Flacco instead of Rice and that they started out the year using Rice as a pass protector/receiver mostly.

Aside from the Texans (who slaughtered them) and the Bengals, every team Baltimore has faced has taken them to the limit - including the Chiefs.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/RAVENS

Damn colonel sanders, need a little blood on the sock or something next time you need an injury timeout.

S'ok, Ravens released Dixon!

Sanders was guilty, the Steelers will probably pay for his part. Other than that, who cares. Oh, wait, Sanders' name has now been stained. He should take this to Tagliabue!

squicken

I think it's so fucking stupid that they based the entire offense around Flacco instead of Rice and that they started out the year using Rice as a pass protector/receiver mostly.

I agreed with the vague notion that they had to open it up a little, but to almost exclude Rice has been so dumb. Their D is really bad. They shouldn't be able to keep up with the Raiders speed guys. Such a shame about McFadden. Guy is such a good downhill runner but is getting close to a write off at this point. Why did they let Bush go?

bionic77

You obviously know nothing about football and anyone from the Ravens who listens to you should at the very least be fired and really should be incarcerated for some kind of fraud.

The Ravens defense is finished. This is a passing league. It should be all Flacco, all the time!

Rorschach

I agreed with the vague notion that they had to open it up a little, but to almost exclude Rice has been so dumb. Their D is really bad. They shouldn't be able to keep up with the Raiders speed guys. Such a shame about McFadden. Guy is such a good downhill runner but is getting close to a write off at this point. Why did they let Bush go?

He was a free agent and we had a full house in the backfield. He got paid pretty well in Chicago. First year he got 6 mil in total with all his bonuses and he gets 3-4.5 mil a year. With the ridiculous Al Davis contracts, they couldn't have kept him even if he wanted to stay. Luckily, a few of our guys, like Kelly, restructured to make some room this year.

harSon

Banned

Similar to the Eagles, they've bought into the same misguided assumption that this is a QB's league, and thus, all NFL offenses should force the brunt of their load on the backs of QB's. I personally hope they keep doing what they're doing (except the winning).

mr2xxx

Banned
I'm sorry, but I think it's really fucking stupid to bother complaining about these individual incidents like this. All 32 teams pander to refs for calls and all 32 have succeeded at some point or another. It happens. It's not a conspiracy against your team.

I agree even though the Carolina did get a free TD run against the Skins on a dead play. I think its the first time I've seen that happen ever.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mike Brown fired after 5 games is the equivalent of an NFL team firing their head coach right before the 2 minute warning of the first game.

Also heard that a radio station in Jacksonville was running a contest for Jaguars tickets. Winners got 2 tickets. The losers got 4.

It was against the league's rules before the warning, the example should have been made at that particular time. It's not like the league hasn't singled us out before. Goodell amending the wording of the player conduct rules so he can suspend Roethlisberger despite the fact that he was never charged with a crime. The league fining James Harrison for hits, and subsequently changing the rules mid season after legal hits by Harrison and Hines Ward. And now this.
Completely agree. I'm surprised that Goodell hasn't issued an edict mandating that Bengals will no longer be used as trenching tools!
1734_1350951066.gif

Brandon Bolden suspended for 4 games. No word yet on whether it was Adderall
Next year, everyone is going to say that they got busted for marijuana after they took a recruiting trip to Denver. Adderall is old news.

Narag

On Luck, it's crazy how many INTs he has avoided. Ross should have picked that deep pass off but wildly mis-played it. The other was negated by a helmet-to-helmet. I don't know if anyone charts those types of things but MIA had a couple of passes they should have intercepted. Doubt it would have changed outcome vs JAX, but it would have absolutely changed the result vs MIA

He'd set a record if the opposing secondaries he faced could actually catch the balls he throws at them.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Damn no Ben Tate against the Bears.... dude is too f-ing injury prone. Hopefully Grimes gets some carries cause Forsett has looked like shit. Cody out as well, expected that.

Also OD is questionable (game time), gonna make it insanely difficult to beat Mr.Poops eerr Bob's favorite team if OD doesn't play. He's having his best year yet sigh

bears-toilet-coincidence.jpg

Damn no Ben Tate against the Bears.... dude is too f-ing injury prone. Hopefully Grimes gets some carries cause Forsett has looked like shit. Cody out as well, expected that.

Also OD is questionable (game time), gonna make it insanely difficult to beat Mr.Poops eerr Bob's favorite team if OD doesn't play. He's having his best year yet sigh

bears-toilet-coincidence.jpg

Eznark to start aiming for the seat.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Quickly, some Luck college footage.

First, the infamous spider 3 y banana play. I have no fucking clue what he's thinking here.

Someone was nice enough to cut up the film of Luck's games last year. First up, Oregon.

Getting rushed? Heave it deep.

Not getting rushed, terrible decision/throw.

Versus VT. In his own endzone. Get rid of the football.

VT. Under pressure. Hucks it deep for another int.

VT again. Guy draped on him. Forces the ball.

I've got to be one of Luck's biggest supporters, but he has a flaw when he feels the rush or is in the grasp, he tries to make the big play instead of the smart one. He needs to throw it away/eat it more often. That's pretty much the only criticism of him I have.

Here's the flip side of taking that risk.

LJ11

You made it sound like he forced the ball deep all the damn time, he didn't, guy barely went deep. Of course he's made bad decisions, but not because of a tendency to push/force the ball downfield.

Notice how most of the deep throws aren't deep and to the outside, but near or inside the hash mark. That's his biggest problem, can't throw the deep fade/9 down the sideline.

Vyer

OD out would be very very bad news.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You made it sound like he forced the ball deep all the damn time, he didn't, guy barely went deep. Of course he's made bad decisions, but not because of a tendency to push/force the ball downfield.

Notice how most of the deep throws aren't deep and to the outside, but near or inside the hash mark. That's his biggest problem, can't throw the deep fade/9 down the sideline.

If that's how it sounded, it's not what I meant. It mostly appears that when he's under pressure, he throws the ball to whomever he's looking at.

As far as fade patterns, I know that Luck's said he wasn't allowed to throw them in college. No idea if that was a philosophical coaching decision or one made because he can't make those throws.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
OD out would be very very bad news.

Yep. Honestly I don't see how we can beat them on the road without him. He's a huge part of our offense. Bears can just double AJ all game and game over.... unless Foster and his chicken eating ways takes it to a new level.

ari

Banned
Yep. Honestly I don't see how we can beat them on the road without him. He's a huge part of our offense. Bears can just double AJ all game and game over.... unless Foster and his chicken eating ways takes it to a new level.
Aj gonna have over a hundred yards on the bears Sunday and will have only Tillman on him. They care more about the run, scoring, and plays like play action then the passing offense as a whole. Just look at the stats.

squicken

I don't know if Chip Kelly really wants to go to the NFL, but you'd think that NFL writers had never heard of negative recruiting with the way they breathlessly report it

Spinluck

Yup, last night Reggie would've had a TD if he could. He always throws it over their back shoulder in these situation, instead of leading them into the endzone or towards the open field.

Top Bottom