• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 10 |OT| Wish You Were Here

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I don't know if Spin contradicted LJ, but I'll agree that it was a shit throw. Wasn't even on the sideline, more like the numbers.

squicken

You just contradicted what lj said.

LJ said Luck couldn't throw the 9, the play spin referenced was a 9 thrown poorly. How did he contradict him? He falls off on his throw. wonder if he placed it wrong or if it was a result of that

edit: Luck really does have it nice. Cam did too. Most high picks aren't throwing to guys like Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith

incl9urupq.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
LJ said Luck couldn't throw the 9, the play spin referenced was a 9 thrown poorly. How did he contradict him? He falls off on his throw. wonder if he placed it wrong or if it was a result of that

edit: Luck really does have it nice. Cam did too. Most high picks aren't throwing to guys like Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith

incl9urupq.gif

Upon further review, it looks like Luck threw a fade and Reggie ran a streak.

squicken said:
How does a streak differ from a Go/9?
I don't believe it does. Same play call as the receiver is tasked with running down the field. How they release from the line can differ depending on whether the coverage is man or off but the goal is the same - run straight down the field and hopefully occupy the safety.

squicken said:
Is that a route stem?
Yes, Wayne "stems" his route and executes a double move using the defenders technique against him to "fake" to the outside. He's attacking the coverage and using the corner's technique against them forcing him to open his hips long enough to blow by and put him in a trail technique. That's a TD with the right throw.

Alternatively, Wayne could have tried to stem the route to the inside of the defender since he's in man coverage forcing him to turn his hips, then he could plant his foot and run to the outside. Technically the same route but the release at the line can be executed differently based on what he sees in the coverage. The defender lines up a bit to the inside of Wayne though so an inside move on him may not have worked as well as the double move which he executed. That's my own read of it though I could be wrong....

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-the-NFL-route-tree.html

How does a streak differ from a Go/9? Is that a route stem? Isn't 9 straight up the field? Looking around a little I see some teams use different terminology on out and inward breaking routes

It's the same. A fade, imo, would be specifically up the sideline. So I'm going to disagree with this fellow's route tree. You can run a 9 up the seam and there's no way it'd be called a fade. The reason I'm saying it looks like Luck is throwing a fade is because that's the throw qb's usually try and drop into a trash can. If you look at that pass, it's exactly 20 yards, dropping right on the line.

Wes

venison crêpe
Got an e-mail from NFL saying I can have a free week of Game Pass to watch any game through their site.

Luckily I can use it next weekend and not this - the one that is likely to be the most boring of the year.

We're in Pittsburgh for a hockey tournament this weekend. We took the kids up the Duquesne incline yesterday. At the top there is this little old lady with red hair manning the ticket booth. She helpfully points out where Three Rivers Stadium used to be and then proceeds to tell us how much she hates Joe Flacco. She gave me a fist bump too.

Steelers fans are awesome.

squicken

We're in Pittsburgh for a hockey tournament this weekend. We took the kids up the Duquesne incline yesterday. At the top there is this little old lady with red hair manning the ticket booth. She helpfully points out where Three Rivers Stadium used to be and then proceeds to tell us how much she hates Joe Flacco. She gave me a fist bump too.

I thought real Steelers fans loved Joe Flacco?

So the Eagles had 20 plays inside the Saints redzone last week and they gained positive yards on 1 of them.

They were outscored 7-6 by the Saints in the Saints redzone.

That is unreal. I don't even know what they can do. They couldn't seem to run it down there either

That is unreal. I don't even know what they can do. They couldn't seem to run it down there either

Yeah they lost yards on every single redzone handoff. Teams stack the box and jam the WR when the Eagles are in the RZ. The pressure up the middle blows up the running plays and Vick isnt seeing the bltiz well so they cant pass.

Milchjon

Milchjon

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-the-NFL-route-tree.html

How does a streak differ from a Go/9? Is that a route stem? Isn't 9 straight up the field? Looking around a little I see some teams use different terminology on out and inward breaking routes

OK, I sent this to a friend of mine who just started playing football this year (I recruited him for this most beautiful game) and now we're caught up in a bit of an argument over the comeback route, specifically, the angle at which the player comes back. This diagram makes it look like he breaks to the outside. My friend is convinced that it's only a "real" comeback if he turns back 180 degrees (or goes to the inside, I think), since otherwise he wouldn't really be "coming back" towards the QB.

So does comeback refer to all routes that include the player turning around? Or only the ones where he breaks outside?

please don't make fun of us. Noone teaches us these things over here

Talon

So the Eagles had 20 plays inside the Saints redzone last week and they gained positive yards on 1 of them.
Which is almost as mindnumbing as the Eagles being turned away from the red zone four consecutive times last season against the 49ers.

The Falcons were great in the redzone when Vick was here with Dunn and Duckett in the backfield, Peerless Price and Dez White on the outside, and Alge on the inside. We got business done on rollouts having Alge along the back of the endzone and Griffith rolling at the front. And this was with Greg fucking Knapp calling the plays.

Red Zones? How do they work!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
OK, I sent this to a friend of mine who just started playing football this year (I recruited him for this most beautiful game) and now we're caught up in a bit of an argument over the comeback route, specifically, the angle at which the player comes back. This diagram makes it look like he breaks to the outside. My friend is convinced that it's only a "real" comeback if he turns back 180 degrees (or goes to the inside, I think), since otherwise he wouldn't really be "coming back" towards the QB.

So does comeback refer to all routes that include the player turning around? Or only the ones where he breaks outside?

I was taught that a hitch is the same as a curl is the same as a comeback. Different coaches will call them different things usually depending upon their depth. I listed them from short to long. So, a hitch would be 2-3 yards or less, usually used for wr screens. A curl would be 7-10 yards. A comeback would be 15-20 yards.

Rorschach

Which is almost as mindnumbing as the Eagles being turned away from the red zone four consecutive times last season against the 49ers.

The Falcons were great in the redzone when Vick was here with Dunn and Duckett in the backfield, Peerless Price and Dez White on the outside, and Alge on the inside. We got business done on rollouts having Alge along the back of the endzone and Griffith rolling at the front. And this was with Greg fucking Knapp calling the plays.

Red Zones? How do they work!
Don't say that name in this thread.

Great RZ teams can run the ball. Eagles can run the ball, but they elect not to. And it's not just an old Reid stereotype. It was on full display on national television!

eznark

Banned
Don't say that name in this thread.

Great RZ teams can run the ball. Eagles can run the ball, but they elect not to. And it's not just an old Reid stereotype. It was on full display on national television!

Pretty sure the Packers have been one of the best red zone teams in football the past few years.

I love the incline, great shot of the city from up there.

squicken

I also struggle a lot with the various nomenclature, as it seems a lot of stuff is used interchangeably and sometimes has different meanings depending on who is using it.

I think as far as a "comeback route" that is a route breaking towards the sideline. The Colts with Manning to Wayne and Harrison used this a lot. I don't think a WR would ever do a complete 180 and run b/c of the time it would take to do that

Hines Ward on a Curl route

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQdluYWJuek&feature=related

Announcer calls this an out but it's a comeback route

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7gTH8RGJus

Greg

Pretty sure the Packers have been one of the best red zone teams in football the past few years.
the stats will tell you it's because of Rodgers, but we all know the real reason the passing game opens up in the red zone is the fear of Kuhn

squicken

They talk about this a lot in STL b/c the Rams are awful in the RZ (I maintain they are awful everywhere and people get obsessed with RZ a bit too much). LJ has posted a few still from Bills games and I have from some Rams games.

You have to have a QB that can throw the fade/back shoulder and WRs that can catch those contested passes in the air. That opens up the slant which gets the safeties out of the box.

I'm not claiming any sort of insight. I'm just parroting what I've heard on that

eznark

Banned
They talk about this a lot in STL b/c the Rams are awful in the RZ (I maintain they are awful everywhere and people get obsessed with RZ a bit too much). LJ has posted a few still from Bills games and I have from some Rams games.

You have to have a QB that can throw the fade/back shoulder and WRs that can catch those contested passes in the air. That opens up the slant which gets the safeties out of the box.

I'm not claiming any sort of insight. I'm just parroting what I've heard on that

You don't "have" to have anything.

Talon

Packers have receivers that can beat one-on-one matchups on a consistent basis, and Rodgers has the best ball placement of any QB in the league. Not hard to imagine why they're so successful in the red zone. Puts an incredible amount of stress on the backend of your defense because Rodgers is going to find the weak link and exploit it (see: Owens, Chris).

Now if motherfucking Jermichael Finley could catch a cold, they'd probably average another TD/game.

T_T

Greg

Packers have receivers that can beat one-on-one matchups on a consistent basis, and Rodgers has the best ball placement of any QB in the league. Not hard to imagine why they're so successful in the red zone.

Now if motherfucking Jermichael Finley could catch a cold, they'd probably average another TD/game.

T_T
give him a break - he's built a lot of chemistry with Rodgers off the field, and he knows he has a lot of potential

Talon

John Kuhn and Jermichael Finley are on a raft in the middle of Lake Michigan. Eznark has a grenade launcher.

What happens next?

Greg

John Kuhn and Jermichael Finley are on a raft in the middle of Lake Michigan. Eznark has a grenade launcher.

What happens next?
they sink from the hole he put in the raft the night before

he fires the grenade launcher at the sky in celebration

Top Bottom