• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 10 |OT| Wish You Were Here

bionic77

I just want to add to the discussion that I and most people were kind of hoping that Sandy would have wiped the Pats off of the map and the pages of history.

cajunator

Banned
With that Oline, what in the fuck will Philly do against Dallas?
Mike Vick might not make it out alive.
I'm kind of scared for him actually.

With that Oline, what in the fuck will Philly do against Dallas?
Mike Vick might not make it out alive.
I'm kind of scared for him actually.

Reid always seems to beat the Cowboys. I think he will find some way but I have no idea how with 4/5 of the OL out. Just have to find away to keep it close and wait for Romo to Romo the game to the Eagles.

Smokey

Cutler > Schaub
Forte > Foster
BMarsh > AJ
Bears D > Texans D

Bears win by 40!

Your team is a bunch of front runners who relies on your defense to score points. Your offense is trash. Cutler is trash and has diabetes. Webb is going to get embarassed by Watt and co. and a new Jpout.jpg will arise. The Texans don't turn the ball over. Schaub doesn't throw picks. The exact opposite of your team. You will fall to 7-2 before Alex Smith comes in and finishes flushing you down the sewer where you'll come out full of shit and 7-3.

Dragon

Banned
Your team is a bunch of front runners who relies on your defense to score points. Your offense is trash. Cutler is trash and has diabetes. Webb is going to get embarassed by Watt and co. and a new Jpout.jpg will arise. The Texans don't turn the ball over. Schaub doesn't throw picks. The exact opposite of your team. You will fall to 7-2 before Alex Smith comes in and finishes flushing you down the sewer where you'll come out full of shit and 7-3.

I have diabetes too :(.

Cutler is better than Schaub? Based on what exactly?

Well to put it into perspective this is bob's website: http://drbobenterprises.com/

Not exactly the most credible source.

So yankeehater, how much blame do you (or any other Eagles fan) put on Vick? I haven't watched him play other than last night but he definitely didn't look like the biggest problem with the team, I'd say that honor goes to the replacement OTs.

I'm not saying Vick deserves no blame though, he definitely shouldn't be turning the ball over as much as he has regardless of how good or bad his o-line is. I remember how terrifying it was watching him run at VT because of how he didn't protect the ball at all and that hasn't changed one bit.

MechDX

stanley2.gif

Mrbob

Jay Cutler is the number one rated QB in the league in the 4th quarter. He'll close the game out!

Well look who finally emerged from hiding.

I have diabetes too :(.

A reason to hop back on the Bears bandwagon. Cutler fights for you as well!

So yankeehater, how much blame do you (or any other Eagles fan) put on Vick? I haven't watched him play other than last night but he definitely didn't look like the biggest problem with the team, I'd say that honor goes to the replacement OTs.

I'm not saying Vick deserves no blame though, he definitely shouldn't be turning the ball over as much as he has regardless of how good or bad his o-line is.

I would say it is 90% OL 5% play calling and 5% Vick. He needs to read the blitz better but the OL is the worst in the NFL by far. He gets hit every play, and on top of that he is so worried about turnovers, it is to much for any QB to overcome. The Eagles were a top 10 scoring team last year when Vick was in and the only difference was the OL.

RBH

On all accounts, it's a very good phone.

2 caveats:
If you're used to the weight of an iPhone 5 without a case, you might want to pick one up first to see if you think it's too heavy. I don't. It's huge though, but most smartphones seem to be these days.
And if you're an app guy, you might wanna check the availability of those first.

What are your specific doubts?
The app selection is my main concern (although I don't currently use many apps outside of the major ones like Pandora and WatchESPN).

bionic77

Way more than 5% is on Vick. He seems incapable of reacting to the blitz anymore (which is where great qb's kill defenses normally). I just don't get it because he seemed to be able to get the ball out on time in the past. Now whenever a defense sends an extra man he just seems to look for a way to run, he can't get away, and then he just goes down like Brady.

Greg

Way more than 5% is on Vick. He seems incapable of reacting to the blitz anymore (which is where great qb's kill defenses normally). I just don't get it because he seemed to be able to get the ball out on time in the past. Now whenever a defense sends an extra man he just seems to look for a way to run, he can't get away, and then he just goes down like Brady.
Vick deserves more respect than that

Dragon

Banned

Smokey

Well look who finally emerged from hiding.
A reason to hop back on the Bears bandwagon. Cutler fights for you as well!

Nobody hiding from you you frontrunning Weasel. You'll get exposed once you see your defense isn't going to score touchdowns for you. Texans are one of the least sacked teams or turnover prone team in the league. Bears are not. I could go on. The only thing you have going for you is that aggressive defense which is going to get ate alive by the play action.

You and cuevas will then be forced to wear an amazing avatar that I bestow upon you.

cajunator

Banned
Vick has zero pocket awareness.
Brees actually gets hit a lot lately because the Oline really isnt as good as people think, but he at least sees the blitz, sidesteps the rush and keeps his eyes downfield. Vick doesnt seem to even know HOW to do that. He just sees the pass isnt there and takes off. He has to stay in the pocket and learn to sidestep a bit, or at least roll out away from pressure and quick pass. Its not easy with that oline, but its possible to do.
Still with that Oline even elite QBs would have a bad game.

During the Falcons game they said he has one of the highest QB ratings aginst the blitz this year. The problem is he is getting blitzed almost every play. Teams know the Eagles cant block so they will always get someone through free. Vick doesnt see the blitz, and he makes terrible reads, but if he had even decent blocking he would put up more points like he did the last 2 years.

jmdajr

Nobody hiding from you you frontrunning Weasel. You'll get exposed once you see your defense isn't going to score touchdowns for you. Texans are one of the least sacked teams and turnover prone teams. Bears are not. I could go on. The only thing you have going for you is that aggressive defense which is going to get ate alive by the play action.

You and cuevas will then be forced to wear an amazing avatar that I bestow upon you.

Lets not forget about that dude Devin Hester. Gotta keep him in check.

verbum

Football Outsiders, a web site that specializes in advanced statistical analysis, has calculated the chances of the Falcons winning each week based on Weighted DVOA ratings, which calculates a team's success on down, quarter, rushing vs. receiving, location on field and so on.

9-0

Opponent: At New Orleans (2-5 )
Fear factor: 6
Why: Because while it's Joe Vitt instead of Sean Payton on the sideline, it's still the Saints and Drew Brees, who are 6-2 against the Falcons in the Mike Smith era.
Football Outsiders says: 55.7% chance of staying undefeated
How many have stumbled: One, 1977 Dallas Cowboys
10-0

Opponent: Arizona (4-5)
Fear factor: 3
Why: This is the easiest game left on their schedule. The Cardinals are in free-fall mode right now.
Football Outsiders says: 42.6%
How many have stumbled: Three, 1972 Minnesota Vikings, 2003 Kansas City Chiefs, 2006 Indianapolis Colts
11-0

Opponent: at Tampa Bay (4-4)
Fear factor: 8
Why: Bucs rookie Doug Martin is running wild and the Falcons, despite playing ahead for much of the season, are 24th in the NFL in run defense, having allowed 127.5 yards per game.
Football Outsiders says: 19.4%
How many have stumbled: Four, 1975 Vikings, 1990 49ers, 1990 Giants, 2008 Titans
12-0

Opponent: New Orleans (2-5 )
Fear factor: 6
Why: Getting the Saints at home hasn't been any better for the Falcons of late. They're 1-3 at the Georgia Dome against New Orleans under Smith.
Football Outsiders says: 14.9%
How many have stumbled: Three, 1969 Rams, 1984 Dolphins, 1991 Redskins.
13-0

Opponent: at Carolina (2-6)
Fear factor: 7
Why: The Panthers nearly beat them in Week 4. Roddy White's 59-yard catch saved the day. Carolina would be a dangerous team at this point, with the role of spoiler and saving their jobs their only reasons to play.
Football Outsiders says: 7%
How many have stumbled: One, 1985 Bears.
14-0

Opponent: New York Giants (6-3)
Fear factor: 9
Why: They're the defending champs and Sunday's loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers could be indicative of their annual slide here. That's bad for the Falcons because mid-to-late December is when the Giants often get back together.
Football Outsiders says: 3.5%
How many have stumbled: Four, 1998 Broncos, 2005 Colts, 2009 Saints, 2011 Packers.
15-0

Opponent: at Detroit (4-4)
Fear factor: 8
Why: The Lions look to be getting their act together after a rough start to the season and Calvin Johnson had seven catches for 129 yards on Sunday. This is a dangerous road trip against a contending team late in the year for a team sniffing perfection.
Football Outsiders says: 1.6%
How many have stumbled: One, 2009 Colts.
16-0

Opponent: Tampa Bay (4-4)
Fear factor: 10
Why: Not because Greg Schiano's bunch will be the toughest opponent the Falcons will face but because we can't imagine this game even coming close to meaning anything if Atlanta is still perfect. They'll have a bye and home field locked up. Rest the starters? Run a vanilla offense to hide some things for the postseason? It's all not exactly conducive to winning a game against a potential playoff contender.
Football Outsiders says: 1.1% chance of finishing undefeated
How many have stumbled: None.

So a 1.1% chance of remaining undefeated in the regular season. 98.9% is not that hard to overcome. Falcons can do it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2012/11/05/atlanta-falcons-8-0-undefeated-perfect-season/1684481/

Smokey

Lets not forget about that dude Devin Hester. Gotta keep him in check.

We will do what the Panthers did. Squib it. We saw that the Bears offense can barely do anything when given the ball at the 35+ yard line. Only reason they even won that game was cuz..Carolina. Bears offense is garbo.

Bob gon get this work

Milchjon

The app selection is my main concern (although I don't currently use many apps outside of the major ones like Pandora and WatchESPN).

App selection is improving. But, as much as I hate to say it, I don't think WatchESPN is available yet.

Edit: If you have any questions, be sure to stop by in the WP thread. I don't know too much about the US situation when it comes to apps/carriers/prices.

Vick has zero pocket awareness.
Brees actually gets hit a lot lately because the Oline really isnt as good as people think, but he at least sees the blitz, sidesteps the rush and keeps his eyes downfield. Vick doesnt seem to even know HOW to do that. He just sees the pass isnt there and takes off. He has to stay in the pocket and learn to sidestep a bit, or at least roll out away from pressure and quick pass. Its not easy with that oline, but its possible to do.
Still with that Oline even elite QBs would have a bad game.
I don't know, I think this is being overly harsh towards Vick. There were definitely some plays where Vick looked like he had zero pocket awareness (a few of the obvious blitzes come to mind) but for the most part he didn't even have a chance. Brees is good at avoiding pressure but he didn't have to put up with 3 or 4 guys collapsing on him at the same time play after play after play like Vick did. How is Vick supposed to stay in the pocket when there is no pocket? He had no option on 90% of those pass plays but to bail after 1-2 seconds!

I honestly think almost any other QB in the league would look just as bad if they were playing with that o-line. You can't do it by yourself, I don't care how good your pocket awareness is.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know, I think this is being overly harsh towards Vick. There were definitely some plays where Vick looked like he had zero pocket awareness (a few of the obvious blitzes come to mind) but for the most part he didn't even have a chance. Brees is good at avoiding pressure but he didn't have to put up with 3 or 4 guys collapsing on him at the same time play after play after play like Vick did. How is Vick supposed to stay in the pocket when there is no pocket? He had no option on 90% of those pass plays but to bail after 1-2 seconds!

I honestly think almost any other QB in the league would look just as bad if they were playing with that o-line. You can't do it by yourself, I don't care how good your pocket awareness is.

I know, hence my last statement.
Behind that Oline ELi, Brees, Big rapist, Mrs Brady, Amidget, MAtty Lice would all crumble. That is a fucking abysmal oline to give up seven sacks to my Saints.

jmdajr

We will do what the Panthers did. Squib it. We saw that the Bears offense can barely do anything when given the ball at the 35+ yard line. Only reason they even won that game was cuz..Carolina. Bears offense is garbo.

Bob gon get this work

Hmmm. So the Bears beat..

Colts
Rams
Cowboys
Jags
Lions
Panthers
Titans

One team with a winning record at this point.

Texans beat

Miami
Jags
Denver
Titans
Jets
Ravens
Bills

Two teams with a winning record...

Ultratech

Another day, another week. Maybe I'll learn how to count straight this week.

Picks:

IND @ JAC
SD @ TB
TEN @ MIA
BUF @ NE
OAK @ BAL
DEN @ CAR
NYG @ CIN
DET @ MIN - Vikebike. 'Nuff Said.
ATL @ NO - The Streak lives on. For now.
-----------
NYJ @ SEA
DAL @ PHI - I shouldn't even be picking this game, honestly. It's very likely to go either way or pull a repeat of most Cowboys games the last few years.
(Play at same level as team they're playing; score stays fairly close; Romo throws INT; receivers drop balls/make stupid moves; game comes down to < 7 points; Cowboys lose it despite making something of an effort only to blow it; accumulate garbage time stats)
STL @ SF
----------
HOU @ CHI
KC @ PIT

I honestly don't have much to say for games this week.

Cowboys-Eagles in the "let's get our coach fired" bowl! Guaranteed hilarity.

Pretty much. Who can play the worst?

Behind that Oline ELi, Brees, Big rapist, Mrs Brady, Amidget, MAtty Lice would all crumble. That is a fucking abysmal oline to give up seven sacks to my Saints.

How many sacks did Vick escape also. I think it was Levelnth that argued with me last week that the Eagles OL wasnt that bad. They are by far the worst in the NFL this year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/177413511.html

Good piece on the Eagles failures with the OL in the draft. I'm not exactly what level of power Reid had at the various points of making draft picks. But it seems like even if someone wants to defend Reid the coach or player caller, I don't see how Reid the personnel evaluator and developer can be retained

What team would be good if they lost 4 starters on the OL? What team has that kind of depth?

Bowser

Still can't believe we lost that Bears game. If Smith doesn't slip or if McDermott doesn't call a prevent-style 2-deep shell (with more than 2 minutes to go holding a 2 point lead!!), we win. Ugh.

Man, just imagining Brady with that line is so funny... he would probably give up at half-time.

cajunator

Banned
How many sacks did Vick escape also. I think it was Levelnth that argued with me last week that the Eagles OL wasnt that bad. They are by far the worst in the NFL this year.

It reminds me of that game yall had against the Steelers a few years ago when the Steelers Oline was running around like lost puppies and yall had a gang meeting at the quarterback.
Anyone still got that gif?
I think my photobucket might have it.

harSon

Banned
It reminds me of that game yall had against the Steelers a few years ago when the Steelers Oline was running around like lost puppies and yall had a gang meeting at the quarterback.
Anyone still got that gif?
I think my photobucket might have it.

Fuck that game.

squicken

What team would be good if they lost 4 starters on the OL? What team has that kind of depth?

Honestly I have no clue on OL injuries. No position group seems to get destroyed like that one. I mean it's not hard to figure out why they get hurt, but I don't understand how best to plan and develop for it happening, or how some teams always have injuries and some never seem to

verbum

Was it 2 years ago the Eagles picked up all those free agents? I remember how the fans were talking about a dream team,etc.
What exactly happened? Did they have to cut too many players because of the new contracts they had signed? Was it coaching?

KaYotiX

Banned
Am I nuts for actually considering getting the Lumia 920? (current iPhone 4 user with an expired contract)

Nothing wrong with the iPhone, but I just feel like considering my options (Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, Lumia 920, iPhone 5) before possibly jumping into a new two-year contract.

I made the jump to a android phone from iPhone and didn't regret it at all.

Wish I wasn't on this damn train anymore....I want to get off of work and play halo :p

bionic77

Did you see the Giants game on Sunday? Where Ben was able to avoid the rush and withstand it, Tammy instead would whimper like a bitch and crumble against the rush instead of keeping his head up and looking downfield.

Explaining why stats by themselves are worthless to a Pats fan (most of whom only watch Pats games and started watching football in 2003) is as useless as trying to explain evolution to a Packers fan, dieting to a Bucs fan, or electricity to a Amish person.

Was it 2 years ago the Eagles picked up all those free agents? I remember how the fans were talking about a dream team,etc.
What exactly happened? Did they have to cut too many players because of the new contracts they had signed? Was it coaching?

I dont think they lost a single guy due to those signings. Banner had them in amazing cap shape so that isnt a problem. The guys they have drafted outside of the skill position guys havent panned out for the most part, they got killed by injuries to the OL this year, Nnamdi hasnt been close to what they thought they were getting, Mudd and Washburn havent helped out either line group and the wide 9 hsnt fit their personal at all. Andy also is the type of coach that coaches the team to play the way he wants them to play rather then the team hat he has. Some times that can be a good thing but this year it is a disaster. They want to throw deep and hit big plays, but they cant block and teams just keep their safeties back. They are not a 15 play drive team but that is what they have to do.

bionic77

I was at that game. Even Ben got a little gun shy and started to look at the rush after like the 9th or 10th sack. It takes a lot for Ben to get worried about the rush. One of the advantages of being big as fuck, I think those hits hurt a lot less. Luck should also have this advantage.

cajunator

Banned
What really sucks is that 3-5 in the NFC South is hopeless whereas the NFC East is so fucking bad that the Eagles actually still have hope.
Its sickening.

Top Bottom