• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 11 |OT| Turn Your Head and Cough

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I feel like you're still living 6 months in the past. Have you watched the Lions play?

All young teams go through growing pains and stretches of inconsistency. Rodgers didn't make the playoffs his first season, and lost to the Cardinals in the first round the year after. During those two years we saw stretches where he looked great and time when he looked like he was making rookie mistakes.

This team is going through those same type of mistakes that young teams make and thats reflective on our record so far.

So...if the injured secondary isn't an excuse...why exactly did the Vikings beat us twice and yet you still say the Lions are better than them?

The first game was due to shitty special teams play, while the second was always going to be a tough game because we're playing a divisional opponent on the road. Either way I went in expecting the Lions to win, because we have better young talent at the positions that matter and win games.

11 TD 8 INTs

That's a right now kind of year.

Plus 3 rushing touchdowns where he showed his speed, to go along with zero fumbles so far this year. Against the Jaguars he also got the ball down to near the goalline, resulting in 3 Mikel Leshoure TD's.

Against the Bears on Monday night the Lions had two touchdowns that were taken away because of stupid fumbles in the end zone. Those are the type of mistakes a young team will make, and I expect them to be corrected soon.

Doorman

So who has been happy with their teams 1st round picks?

Oddly enough...although I won't argue that we probably could have gotten someone at a position of more immediate need, I'm fairly satisfied with how Riley Rieff is coming along. He's getting blocking experience without having the pressure of replacing someone on the line as a total rookie, and they seem to already be taking a liking to running behind his blocks. If we can get another young-ish center and guard grooming up to overtake Raiola and Peterman, respectively, then I think we'll more or less have our offense ready to go moving forward for a few years.

beast786

good of you to notice our games. it's embarrassing for the 49ers to tie the rams. when the lions lose its just another sunday in detroit. no one really pays attention to the lions, it's just assumed that when the dust settles it'll be another failure

but hey! matt stafford is only 23 years old or whatever he is! the future is so bright even though he has regressed! but he's so young! he can only get better! lions might not be a factor this year, or next year, or in 2014, or 2015 or even 2027, but rest assured that ONE DAY the detroit lions will not only make the playoffs again, but they will win *A* playoff game! this much i am sure of

Even the lions beat the rams this year.

Stafford "regressed"? At least there was something to regressed from. he is still getting his yards and offense is ranking up there.

let's see where the 9ers end this year.

This is all you need to know about the Lions as a franchise:

603188_10151145324118605_1133512762_n.jpg
LOL, is that real? Oh man

I love the Jones and Hightower picks.Jones has been the best player on defense this year and Hightower has made some big plays this year.

I would have really liked them to Get Doug Martin if they didn't get Ridley or Vareen last year though.

Even the lions beat the rams this year.

Stafford "regressed"? At least there was something to regressed from. he is still getting his yards and offense is ranking up there.

let's see where the 9ers end this year.

oh thank god stafford is getting his yards!

and the 49ers will do something the lions wont this year or anytime in the near future: make the playoffs. i'll take my odds in the playoffs vs. sitting at home like the lions will be doing

squicken

Jets not playing to avoid salary cap ramifications

Tebow is one of the last remaining players that should be playing under the old CBA rookie contract structure. Under the old CBA 1st round draft picks often had low base value deals to comply with CBA rules with easily attainable escalators based on playing time. For instance Dustin Keller this year saw his salary increase to $3.052 million as he entered the final year of his deal. As a QB drafted in the 1st round those incentives are increased dramatically. Tebow’s rookie contract had a base value of $9.7125 million with an easily achievable value of $11.125 million based on reaching the standard playing time escalators of either 35% as a rookie or 45% any year thereafter. He unlocked that in 2011 when he played in about 76% of the Broncos offensive snaps. As a first round QB he had the potential to turn the contract into a $33 million dollar deal through incentives that would only be realized if he turned out to be the next John Elway. The more realistic number was that the contract would be worth $22.5 million if he developed into a starting QB.

The additional $11.25 million, if earned, would be added onto the backend of Tebow’s 5 year contract in 2013 and 2014. He had two avenues to earn the escalators. If he played in 55% of the snaps in two of his first three seasons (2010-2012) he would earn an additional $5 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014. If he plays in 70% of the snaps in 2013 he earns the full payment in 2014.

Tebow’s current cap number in 2013 is $2,586,875 which includes a guaranteed payment of $1,531,875 that goes to the Denver Broncos as part of the terms of the trade. If Tebow was to earn that escalator his cap charge would balloon to $7,586,875. That is a number the Jets cant handle next season, considering they owe Sanchez $8.25 million guaranteed next year and a cap charge of over $12.8 million. 2014 is not an issue for the Jets but clearly 2013 is and maybe that is playing a role in the management of Tebow’s snaps.

Over the summer the Jets proclaimed they were going to use Tebow close to 20 snaps per game which is about 25% of the teams offensive plays, specifically in the red zone. The Jets have played 546 offensive snaps through 8 weeks. If the Jets had played Tebow as advertised and continued at that pace the most they would likely be able to start him is the last 5 games to safely avoid the bonus. Had they used him in those blowout games early in the year you would be looking at is 4. With his current snap count and snap averages they should be able to get 7 starts out of him and miss the bonus payment. . Had they made move earlier to start they would be completely stuck with he and Sanchez eating up $20 million in cap room in 2013. If the escalators are a real possibility it at least may explain why the Jets don’t use him at all unless they really see him as that bad of a player in practice, which is why Denver coach John Fox used to say about his views on Tebow.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250676

squicken

That actually....makes sense. Why did it take so long for this to come out?

b/c it makes the Jets look bad and exposes the tough situations coaches and owners find themselves in over playing time incentives. Rex could have wanted to pull plug long ago, but was under orders from Woody to hold off on benching Sanchez and using wild cat stuff until the very end of the year where Tebow could take over full time. Reading the article it seems like that could happen either this week or next

b/c it makes the Jets look bad and exposes the tough situations coaches and owners find themselves in over playing time incentives. Rex could have wanted to pull plug long ago, but was under orders from Woody to hold off on benching Sanchez and using wild cat stuff until the very end of the year where Tebow could take over full time. Reading the article it seems like that could happen either this week or next

That is ridiculous. They could play Tebow now, give him his bonus, and then just restructure some other guys salaries. Teams do that shit all the time. My guess is they dont want to pay Tebow all that extra money if he might not be any better.

too bad kaepernick isn't a bible thumping college superstar because he deserves a lot more attention than tebow does. kaepernick is like tebow only he is faster and he can actually throw, but no one will ever give a fuck

too bad kaepernick isn't a bible thumping college superstar because he deserves a lot more attention than tebow does. kaepernick is like tebow only he is faster and he can actually throw, but no one will ever give a fuck

Why would the media care about Kap when Harbs doesnt even trust him?

ari

Banned
This is all you need to know about bears franchise and future
Great or not, cutler is still a winning mid-tier QB and will always make the bears a contender. That's more then I can say about half the leagues QBs and especially Stafford.

Dude couldn't beat the Rams. The RAMS!

kap wasn't the problem against the rams. he missed a few throws but i was very impressed with how he kept plays alive and how he kept his eyes down the field. give kap all the first team reps and develop a gameplan for him and see what happens. he'll never be elite because his throwing motion is so slow but he can be dangerous

squicken

do you want kapernick to start? i thought it was embarrassing of the rams to let a guy who couldn't throw from the pocket to beat them like that, but then I've found the defense far more embarrassing than the offense. the defense has lots of big money FAs and high draft picks. offense doesn't

Godslay

Banned
That is ridiculous. They could play Tebow now, give him his bonus, and then just restructure some other guys salaries. Teams do that shit all the time. My guess is they dont want to pay Tebow all that extra money if he might not be any better.

Of course they don't want to pay him. Teams will always find the cheapest way out, unless they can't live without that player. The Jets season is borderline in the toilet, so why pay more for a losing season? Tim will get his time, sooner or later.

Pfft. Does Kap have the heart that Tebow has?

Why would the media care about Kap when Harbs doesnt even trust him?

doesn't trust him how? i felt like we opened up the book quite a bit. no, we didn't go for a TD in OT but come on, we have a probowl kicker and you figure he can make a 41 yard FG to win the game. you play the odds. i guarantee if that was the first possession in OT he goes for the kill and gets it. oh well!

do you want kapernick to start? i thought it was embarrassing of the rams to let a guy who couldn't throw from the pocket to beat them like that, but then I've found the defense far more embarrassing than the offense. the defense has lots of big money FAs and high draft picks. offense doesn't

if alex is healthy he needs to start. he has been on fire the last few weeks. 2 incompletions in about 6 quarters of play.... i don't care if it is against the cards and rams D, that is extremely impressive. we also EASILY moved the ball with alex against the rams D and i have no doubt we win that game with alex.

kap isn't ready. i think maybe next year we see a real competition but this year there is no question that alex is the better QB

Mrbob

He does so he can get away from using Small Hands in Madden.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
kap wasn't the problem against the rams. he missed a few throws but i was very impressed with how he kept plays alive and how he kept his eyes down the field. give kap all the first team reps and develop a gameplan for him and see what happens. he'll never be elite because his throwing motion is so slow but he can be dangerous

Timmah = Winner
Kaep = Big little paws

ari

Banned
Paper Mario Sticker Star is my game of the year so far.

Holla.
Dishonored was the first game I played and went holyshit for the first time in about 5 years. By default, I will give goty to that.

Enjoying blops 2 and halo 4 but that's warranted given multiplayers and stuff.

squicken

if alex is healthy he needs to start. he has been on fire the last few weeks. 2 incompletions in about 6 quarters of play.... i don't care if it is against the cards and rams D, that is extremely impressive. we also EASILY moved the ball with alex against the rams D and i have no doubt we win that game with alex.

kap isn't ready. i think maybe next year we see a real competition but this year there is no question that alex is the better QB

i agree. rams d is awful and alex was killing them in the middle of the field. but kap was good as well but that stuff wouldn't work against a good defense

ari

Banned
i agree. rams d is awful and alex was killing them in the middle of the field. but kap was good as well but that stuff wouldn't work against a good defense
I'm sure harbuagh's Stanford playbook will work against the bears d next week.

no doubt. alex plays mediocre at best against good defenses. this is why i want alex to start against the bears (because he wont give the game away) but at the same time i'd really like to see kaepernick. alex wont take chances, especially against good defenses, which is why he usually ends games against upper D's with about 150 passing yards, 0 td's and 0 int's. maybe kaepernick has the courage to make some of those tight throws.... he certainly has the arm for it

beast786

Great or not, cutler is still a winning mid-tier QB and will always make the bears a contender. That's more then I can say about half the leagues QBs and especially Stafford.

lol.

Stafford carried lions to playoff with record breaking numbers last year. cutler is a game manager who thinks he is not. Imagine if actually had to win games and not count on his D to set up a 3 TD lead every game.

Cutler has never hit even a 90 rating all his career, which stafford accomplish in his first full season playing. Stafford 41 TD last year is close to cutler best two season TD COMBINE. LMAO

beast786

no doubt. alex plays mediocre at best against good defenses. this is why i want alex to start against the bears (because he wont give the game away) but at the same time i'd really like to see kaepernick. alex wont take chances, especially against good defenses, which is why he usually ends games against upper D's with about 150 passing yards, 0 td's and 0 int's. maybe kaepernick has the courage to make some of those tight throws.... he certainly has the arm for it

bears Strenght is secoundy. pound the ball down the middle and you guys will win easily. I honestly feel bears got lucky that cutler isn't playing.against team that are great pass rushers ie giants/Houston and 9ers he is a gift for defense and you know he can't control himself and is like rivers in prime time games.

now bears will run , run and run. Which is there obvious strength known to everyone but mike T.

ari

Banned
I really wish Harbaugh would listen to that post beast. Seriously. Foster had 104 yards sunday night.The majority of that came in the first half or so. Do you know the texans total yards for the entire second half? Go on, look at the stats. I'm gonna tell you anyway, Its 40+ yards. 40+ yards between foster,their second running back, and schuab in the second half. The Texans offense garnered 215 yards total the whole game.

The bears doesn't have a top ranked run defense for nothing. All that being said, that was with shitty weather and soldier field grass. So don't go spewing crap as if the bears run d is the flaw in that defense. LOL

Also, the texans pass rush had no effect whats so ever against the O line, 0 sacks for the first time since last year.

bears Strenght is secoundy. pound the ball down the middle and you guys will win easily. I honestly feel bears got lucky that cutler isn't playing.against team that are great pass rushers ie giants/Houston and 9ers he is a gift for defense and you know he can't control himself and is like rivers in prime time games.

now bears will run , run and run. Which is there obvious strength known to everyone but mike T.

the greatest myth in the NFL today is that the 49ers have a good pass rush. i know the talking heads on ESPN and NFLN suck our dicks but anyone who has watched our games can see it clear as day. we get no pressure on the QB.

now, aldon smith is on pace to have more sacks than last year (he has 9.5 so far), but i will take consistent QB pressure that doesn't result in a sack vs. no pressure 95% of the time and then one or two plays a game he sneaks in for a sack. that is exactly what has happened

i'm not sure what the issue is with our pass rush. all of our starts except parys haralson are back (and aldon is in his place). our run D has also been less than stellar for much of the year. i've read a lot about soapoaga not being NEARLY as effective as he was last year. he was injured early in the year and came back, i think he's feeling the effects of the leg injury because he hasn't been a force in the middle like he was last year. justin smith is the samething but i know of no injury for him.

but worst of all this year is carlos rogers. why does he play slot receivers? he gets obliterated against any receivers with shiftiness. got killed by harvin, got killed by cruz, got killed by amendola. when he does get picks served up to him (as in the giants game) he just drops it. not saying he is a complete waste but he is best served playing on the outside against bigger WR's. we have no problem stopping guys like fitz and megatron but we can't buy a stop against amendola and wr's like that.

tom brady is going to absolutely shred us with welker

Ranvier

I think both stafford And cutler just have unfortunate genetics in that they hold a ton of fat in their cheeks. I'm pretty sure they are relatively fit for a professional athlete. They for sure aren't obese like baseball's prince fielder or Pablo sandavol.

Anyone read any updates on Alex? Last thing I saw was Harbaugh saying he was feeling much better. How did staley come back so quickly after getting a concussion? He was knocked out against the giants but played during the Seattle game. Are there different rules for quarterbacks versus o-linemen? I can't imagine that would be the case.

Top Bottom