• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 11 |OT| Turn Your Head and Cough

beast786

Bring it on, Packers.

No, seriously. I'm right on the verge of turning into a complete anti-fan right now, so close to hoping that we just get absolutely fucking destroyed in all of our remaining games so that I can at least laugh at the pathetic failure. I'm sick of the way this team has played most of its games, win or lose, and at this point I just want the season to end so I can go back to daydreaming about the draft. No, I mean the 2014 draft.

I meant to post this yesterday but didn't get around to it: Watching last week's game forces me to reiterate something that I originally posted several weeks ago. Y'know, back when the Vikings beat the Lions for the first time. We are done. No playoffs this year and, I believe, no playoffs next year. And we will never win a Super Bowl under this coaching staff. Schwartz could maybe pull a Lovie Smith and replace all of his coordinators, and that might be enough to get us there, but otherwise I think that this team is just so fundamentally unsound that we can never sustain a run of wins necessary to reach the ultimate goal. I can't say "fire Schwartz" though, because with him just getting a nice fat contract extension this offseason, any complaints of that nature are going to fall on completely deaf ears within the organization. We're stuck where we are, and all I have to hope for is that two of the division's other teams just fall apart on their own.

lions problem is simple, due to injuries/talent the secoundy is horrible. fact. you can only hide your secoundy for so long. eople now have the tape, every team runs quick slants and post and takes away all the strength of Dline. we can't go man on man and give big cushions. That is why these game managing QB have so much success. This Defense system doesn't work unless at least we can get base minimum talent in secoundy .

our only hope is next week if Rodgers get greedy and instead of taking what defense gives , he gets greedy and try to force crap down field.

Slo

lions problem is simple, due to injuries/talent the secoundy is horrible. fact. you can only hide your secoundy for so long. eople now have the tape, every team runs quick slants and post[ and takes away all the strength of Dline. we can't go man on man and give big cushions. That is why these game managing QB have so much success. This Defense system doesn't work unless at least we can get base minimum talent in secoundy .

our only hope is next week if Rodgers get greedy and instead of taking what defense gives , he gets greedy and try to force crap down field.

So what you're saying is that Christian Ponder is your team's worst nightmare?

beast786

So what you're saying is that Christian Ponder is your team's worst nightmare?

Yes, him any any other game manager. Check stats of the opposing QB's.

until we get the personnel that is meant to run this type of D, this D will be screwed unless we play a hot headed QB.

We lost players left and right all year long. We put players at starting cb/safeties that weren't in NFL week before.

cajunator

Banned
So, you'd rather fish on a swamp than on one of the Great Lakes, or one of the thousands of freshwater lakes that are all over Wisconsin and Minney?

Actually, yes.
But we have several nice lakes to fish in besides the swamps.
Toledo bend is a gorgeous lake to fish for example.

cajunator

Banned
On a serious note, I do sometimes wish gaffers could visit each other and see that where most people live is as good as anywhere else. Theres a high probability that a lot of you would actually love this city.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Bring it on, Packers.

No, seriously. I'm right on the verge of turning into a complete anti-fan right now, so close to hoping that we just get absolutely fucking destroyed in all of our remaining games so that I can at least laugh at the pathetic failure. I'm sick of the way this team has played most of its games, win or lose, and at this point I just want the season to end so I can go back to daydreaming about the draft. No, I mean the 2014 draft.

I meant to post this yesterday but didn't get around to it: Watching last week's game forces me to reiterate something that I originally posted several weeks ago. Y'know, back when the Vikings beat the Lions for the first time. We are done. No playoffs this year and, I believe, no playoffs next year. And we will never win a Super Bowl under this coaching staff. Schwartz could maybe pull a Lovie Smith and replace all of his coordinators, and that might be enough to get us there, but otherwise I think that this team is just so fundamentally unsound that we can never sustain a run of wins necessary to reach the ultimate goal. I can't say "fire Schwartz" though, because with him just getting a nice fat contract extension this offseason, any complaints of that nature are going to fall on completely deaf ears within the organization. We're stuck where we are, and all I have to hope for is that two of the division's other teams just fall apart on their own.

I think this all stems from a natural negativity most Lions fans have. Lions fans are already starting draft threads because we're used to it, but this team is going to be a force in the NFL as long as Matthew Stafford is healthy and playing. We should've beaten the Vikings both times, for numerous reasons, the most important being we are better and more talented than them.

But we're being led by a 24 year old quarterback, and a team that is young pretty much all around. Not a lot of veteran leadership, which is something we're going to need to address in the offseason. I think it's a natural progression for a young team to go through some sort of growing pains. It happened to Rodgers and the Packers, happened to Cutler when he was in Denver, happened to Eli in New York etc.

Schwartz and his coaching staff took over a 0-16 team which they had to completely build up with the only remnants of that team being Calvin Johnson, Dominic Raiolo, Jeff Backus and Gosder Cherlious. Everyone else from Stafford to Titus Young to Suh etc. are all still young.

What Schwartz and co. have been pretty mediocre at play calling this year. I feel like they're trying to establish the run a little to much as opposed to slinging the fucking ball downfield like we were doing to much effectiveness last year. The playcalling has been far to conservative for the passing and receiving talent we have.

We're still not out of the playoff race yet. If we lose this week then I'll say it officially, but if we win we're right back in the close NFC Wildcard race.

Mrbob

Lions a force? The team had a chance to get out of the cellar and couldn't do it. Losers lose. Lions have a history of being losers and are comfortable at it.

I hope the Lions don't fire Schwartz any time soon. Team is reckless with him at head coach.

Lions a force? The team had a chance to get out of the cellar and couldn't do it. Losers lose. Lions have a history of being losers and are comfortable at it.

I hope the Lions don't fire Schwartz any time soon. Team is reckless with him at head coach.

everything you said is true. i know a lions fan and he has backed schwartz again and again and i dont understand why. there are many problems with the lions, but top of the list is schwartz and the attitude he has instilled. i know he took over a winless team and turned them into whatever you want to call them now, but the bottom line is he is a failure and the lions will never do anything meaningful with him at headcoach.

Talon

everything you said is true. i know a lions fan and he has backed schwartz again and again and i dont understand why. there are many problems with the lions, but top of the list is schwartz and the attitude he has instilled. i know he took over a winless team and turned them into whatever you want to call them now, but the bottom line is he is a failure and the lions will never do anything meaningful with him at headcoach.
Well he's a success in the fact that he has never gone winless!

beast786

this post is a typical symptom of someone suffering a post traumatic stress disorder from a failure of a tie game against a QB name Bradford.

beast786

And the rest of NFL hopes cutler comes back healthy and plays and finish his career in Chicago.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

We were 10-6 last year, and made the playoffs, three years after going 0-16.
When was the last time the Bears made the playoffs?

Lions are a young team knocking at the door of yearly playoff contention. In a league based mainly on how effective your quarterback can play, we have one of the youngest and most talented quarterbacks in the league. Stafford will be part of the new era of QB's that take over after Brady, Manning and Brees are gone.

beast786

I think this all stems from a natural negativity most Lions fans have. Lions fans are already starting draft threads because we're used to it, but this team is going to be a force in the NFL as long as Matthew Stafford is healthy and playing. We should've beaten the Vikings both times, for numerous reasons, the most important being we are better and more talented than them.

But we're being led by a 24 year old quarterback, and a team that is young pretty much all around. Not a lot of veteran leadership, which is something we're going to need to address in the offseason. I think it's a natural progression for a young team to go through some sort of growing pains. It happened to Rodgers and the Packers, happened to Cutler when he was in Denver, happened to Eli in New York etc.

Schwartz and his coaching staff took over a 0-16 team which they had to completely build up with the only remnants of that team being Calvin Johnson, Dominic Raiolo, Jeff Backus and Gosder Cherlious. Everyone else from Stafford to Titus Young to Suh etc. are all still young.

What Schwartz and co. have been pretty mediocre at play calling this year. I feel like they're trying to establish the run a little to much as opposed to slinging the fucking ball downfield like we were doing to much effectiveness last year. The playcalling has been far to conservative for the passing and receiving talent we have.

We're still not out of the playoff race yet. If we lose this week then I'll say it officially, but if we win we're right back in the close NFC Wildcard race.

I disagree, they did not have the talent last week to beat Vikings, better team won. can you name a secoundy personel/talent worse than lions?

Lions are a young team knocking at the door of yearly playoff contention. In a league based mainly on how effective your quarterback can play, we have one of the youngest and most talented quarterbacks in the league. Stafford will be part of the new era of QB's that take over after Brady, Manning and Brees are gone.

jnc.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
this post is a typical symptom of someone suffering a post traumatic stress disorder from a failure of a tie game against a QB name Bradford.

Niner fans are still reliving the glory of the Alex Smith/2011 fluke season.

Harbs showed how much confidence he has in Alexis after trying to court a nearly 40 year old Peyton Manning in the offseason.

Niner fans are still reliving the glory of the Alex Smith/2011 fluke season.

Harbs showed how much confidence he has in Alexis after trying to court a nearly 40 year old Peyton Manning in the offseason.

I feel like you're still living 6 months in the past. Have you watched the Lions play?

Doorman

I guess this is where we begin to disagree then. I don't care about what we should have done, the fact of the matter is that we didn't. When a team beats you twice in a year, once on your own turf, and they have a better record and a clearer playoff picture than us, in what world can you really say that we're better than them aside from optimism? We made the playoffs last year for the first time in a decade. It's time to want more than on-paper wins.

I haven't given up on Stafford being a good quarterback, but I'm not crowning him yet either. A lot of numbers coming on 4th quarter comebacks--regardless of winning or losing the game--is not something that I want to have to rely on, and with every game that he and the offense as a whole get off to slow starts, that fantastic season last year continues to look more like the exception and less like the rule.

The Schwartz stuff, yeah, I get it. He took over the worst team ever, so on and so forth. But we're four years removed from that now. Turnarounds in the NFL can happen really quickly if the situation is made up right. The 49ers under Harbaugh and the resurgence of the Ravens under...the other Harbaugh have both shown that, among other teams. Becoming -not- the worst team in history isn't exactly a tall order, becoming the perennial playoff team and Super Bowl contender that a lot of fans here seem eager to declare them is a much tougher task. A lot of that falls on Mayhew, too; we still aren't filling our most gaping needs and our depth is still lacking. That said, I will admit that I don't understand how it's possible for literally our entire starting secondary to be injured, and we're down to literally fifth-string corners. Is that just bad luck, or picking up a lot of brittle players? I don't know.

Very optimistic of you to say that, given the schedule coming up and the way we've played the entire season. Then again, I gave up on the playoffs after the first Minnesota loss, and I'm admittedly a pessimist (not just in relation to the Lions, but many things). Considering the run we'd have to put together against other proven playoff teams, I just can't see it happening with the makeup of the team right now.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I disagree, they did not have the talent last week to beat Vikings, better team won. can you name a secoundy personel/talent worse than lions?

Lions secondary has been garbage and had injuries, but every team in the league has had injuries so its not fair to use that as an excuse. The only time you can use injuries as an excuse is if your QB is out for a significant time like Cutler last year.

The Lions are one draft, and about two solid free agent acquisitions away from being a perennial contender. I base this on how much faith I have in Stafford, having watched almost every start he's had since his first game in New Orleans to last years playoff game against New Orleans.

When you have a franchise QB half the battle is over. The other half is surrounding him with proper talent, and I think Mayhew and the FO have done a solid job so far.

Its like every other day Kastrioti goes off on a rant or something.

I'm just preaching the gospel man. You can get on the bandwagon if you want, but it'll be leaving the station shortly.

Woot. Texans to have their 3rd winning season after Sundays game! :)
Woot! Only a Texans fan would be excited about such an accomplishment!

I feel dirty. Rooting for the Pats this week so the Texans can wrap up the division early.

Im a dirty, dirty whore.
We got the south, rather have a cushion to wrap up the AFC.

MIA @ BUF

GB @ DET
ARI @ ATL
TB @ CAR
CLE @ DAL
PHI @ WAS
NYJ @ STL
CIN @ KC
JAC @ HOU
NO @ OAK
SD @ DEN
IND @ NE
BAL @ PIT

CHI @ SF

Two upsets this week, San Diego and Indy.

NawidA

Banned

Uh, the year before that. And they clearly would've gone last year if Cutler and Forte both hadn't gotten injured for the year. Or they had anyone but Hanie.

Talon

Green Bay owns the NFC North for the next decade as long as Rodgers stays healthy. He's the best QB in the league, and he's not even 30.

Doorman

Lions secondary has been garbage and had injuries, but every team in the league has had injuries so its not fair to use that as an excuse. The only time you can use injuries as an excuse is if your QB is out for a significant time like Cutler last year.

So...if the injured secondary isn't an excuse...why exactly did the Vikings beat us twice and yet you still say the Lions are better than them?

Mrbob

Stafford has worse mechanics than Cutler. He also is due for another season ending injury and the Lions don't have JCamp quality at backup!

good of you to notice our games. it's embarrassing for the 49ers to tie the rams. when the lions lose its just another sunday in detroit. no one really pays attention to the lions, it's just assumed that when the dust settles it'll be another failure

but hey! matt stafford is only 23 years old or whatever he is! the future is so bright even though he has regressed! but he's so young! he can only get better! lions might not be a factor this year, or next year, or in 2014, or 2015 or even 2027, but rest assured that ONE DAY the detroit lions will not only make the playoffs again, but they will win *A* playoff game! this much i am sure of

Mrbob

good of you to notice our games. it's embarrassing for the 49ers to tie the rams. when the lions lose its just another sunday in detroit. no one really pays attention to the lions, it's just assumed that when the dust settles it'll be another failure

but hey! matt stafford is only 23 years old or whatever he is! the future is so bright even though he has regressed! but he's so young! he can only get better! lions might not be a factor this year, or next year, or in 2014, or 2015 or even 2027, but rest assured that ONE DAY the detroit lions will not only make the playoffs again, but they will win *A* playoff game! this much i am sure of

This is all you need to know about the Lions as a franchise:

603188_10151145324118605_1133512762_n.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So who has been happy with their teams 1st round picks?

Nick Perry is okay. Doesn't seem like a first round talent...same with Bulaga. Sherrod is like a 5th round pick.

Green Bay needs to quit striking out on the 1st round. Fortunately, we're doing awesome in the 2nd round.

Top Bottom