• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 11 |OT| Turn Your Head and Cough

Wrayfield

So in this "game" you'd be watching lots of college football, measuring the inseams of college dudes, doing a fantasy draft, balancing the team's roster against the salary cap, and then the big payoff is watching the results from the sideline?

whiterussian.gif

Yeah :D. You Americanskis want your shit always served as meals on a tray or wutt? Craving a white russian now...

Edit: By "watching", you mean hiring scout who send you reports, I guess. Yes, that would work. Thing is the game would need to be somwhat realistic and still balance some fun progression with your team. It's a heck of a task to accomplish. Even most eurofootball managers fail at that so I don't expect an NFL manager anytime soon.

squicken

This Mehta guy runs with a lot of un-named sources. Like everything I've ever read from hims is 90% anonymous quotes. I have a hard time believing that there aren't some voices in favor of McElroy

Sanchez will be fine vs STL. He can throw to the middle of the field and the Rams can't cover there

Wes

venison crêpe
I would want the whole Football Manager enchilada (the other football), man. It might be a Euro thing, but it's pretty nice to run every aspect of an organisation. By that, I don't mean choosing play from pre-defined playbooks that are horribly simplified. I want to scout properly, I want to train and coach properly, and I want to manage the finances. Whoever makes a sim that comes close to it gets my money for sure.

Exactly. I think it would be relatively easy to make but would make a fair amounto cash. In fact I'm surprised Sports Interactive (The football Manager guys) haven't done it. Whilst a match engine would have to be created from scratch a lot of the basic foundations for following players is already there.

Slo

If you guys send me $59.99 each, I'll send you a spread sheet of heights, weights and 40 times. If you want me to perform Wonderlic tests, you'll have to buy the $9.99 DLC.

Wrayfield

Exactly. I think it would be relatively easy to make but would make a fair amounto cash. In fact I'm surprised Sports Interactive (The football Manager guys) haven't done it. Whilst a match engine would have to be created from scratch a lot of the basic foundations for following players is already there.

I worked on a project with them a while ago (hockey) and was always wondering about it. Meant to ask them but it felt wrong to breach the subject so I never really said it. I think it wouldn't be easy. A good balanced database of players, scouts, coaches, trainers and what-have-you is the core of FM, to compile that for US football would be a copyright nightmare.

Actually, I thought they should do a test in some european leagues, say GFL I and II and try to sell the idea to a bigger studio that can afford the licenses for NFL and NCAA stuff. Only things is, it would end up being EA. Nothing against them per se, but I don't see them investing in that. They probably would make an NFL Coach 2013 out of it.

squicken

You know my primary "I hate America" gripe is the celebrity culture that is so pervasive. And it applies to football as well. Actually writing about football and what is going on is somehow nerd/geek/loser stuff, but puking out gossip on backup QBs and Brady's new haircut is somehow fine

Might explain Europeans enjoyment of their management sims relative to US gamers

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You know my primary "I hate America" gripe is the celebrity culture that is so pervasive. And it applies to football as well. Actually writing about football and what is going on is somehow nerd/geek/loser stuff, but puking out gossip on backup QBs and Brady's new haircut is somehow fine

Might explain Europeans enjoyment of their management sims relative to US gamers

Pretty sure we're not the only celebrity obsessed culture. Isn't the UK drowning in tabloids for instance?

And I'm not part of the problem, I've got 335 hours clocked in on Darkest Hour (grand strategy ww2 game).

Wes

venison crêpe
I worked on a project with them a while ago (hockey) and was always wondering about it. Meant to ask them but it felt wrong to breach the subject so I never really said it. I think it wouldn't be easy. A good balanced database of players, scouts, coaches, trainers and what-have-you is the core of FM, to compile that for US football would be a copyright nightmare.

Actually, I thought they should do a test in some european leagues, say GFL I and II and try to sell the idea to a bigger studio that can afford the licenses for NFL and NCAA stuff. Only things is, it would end up being EA. Nothing against them per se, but I don't see them investing in that. They probably would make an NFL Coach 2013 out of it.

Would they not just have to strike up a deal with the NFL? If not Sports Interactive, how about EA - they already have NCAA and NFL rights and repeatedly try to break the strangelhold Football Manager has on the Soccer sim market.

You could do it two ways, have the NFL with licensed players and all the colleges are populated with random regen players. Or get the licenses for NFL and College currently and have the regen players only for high schools - that would add a layer of complexity on to it but would be rather easy to reproduce I would've thought. You're just making more organisations - it's extra rows in a database at the end of the day.

squicken

Pretty sure we're not the only celebrity obsessed culture. Isn't the UK drowning in tabloids for instance?

Yeah that's a good point. I know they stalk their athletes there far more than here. But is that in their sports section? Seems like tabloid stuff passes for sports reporting a lot. I thought that "most overrated" list on coaches and players was poop. It's just letting people grind axes. I guess the morning sort of had a confluence of stuff I hate. Don't like anonymous sources and don't like the path of modern sports writing. Deadspin LCD stuff

Milchjon

BRB, creating AdvancedBradyHair.com database. America's gonna love my proprietary BHOL (Brady Hair Over Luck) metric.

Wrayfield

Would they not just have to strike up a deal with the NFL? If not Sports Interactive, how about EA - they already have NCAA and NFL rights and repeatedly try to break the strangelhold Football Manager has on the Soccer sim market.

You could do it two ways, have the NFL with licensed players and all the colleges are populated with random regen players. Or get the licenses for NFL and College currently and have the regen players only for high schools - that would add a layer of complexity on to it but would be rather easy to reproduce I would've thought. You're just making more organisations - it's extra rows in a database at the end of the day.

Filling a database isn't the problem. I think it's more filling it realistically. FM has local people working on their database and tweaking the shit out of it a lot (from what I hear). That's why you can sign a 17 year old Ukrainian mid-fielder who actually exisits for cheaps to your local irrelevant football club. And his skills are somewhat realistic as well. And your club is researched pretty well, too.

Don't get me wrong, you could pull it off with NFL/NCAA, just a lot of effort. Madden ratings just won't do for a sim. :) You wouldn't even have to go as deep into being realistic as FM.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So this is kind of weird. It's nowhere like official, but the rumors out of STL are that the coaches caught the suspended players smoking pot in their hotel room. They cut one guy and suspended the other two, but I wonder how that goes with league enforcement.

Jenkins has been a fuck up his whole life and has multiple arrests for pot, so I doubt he'll ever actually learn to change. Plus he doesn't seem very interested in becoming good at football

But Givens is supposed to be a nice guy who just sort of followed along. Still dumb, but I don't want to write him off, since he seems good at football
It's much better for the players if the coaches don't tell the league. Of course, that could lead to massive suspensions for those in the know. That is, if, you know, Goodell finds the evidence.
They'd rather back a loser than a winner. Is that a surprise? They probably all voted for Gary Johnson!

clowncar.jpg

ari

Banned
23-17 versus the Jets? 21-9 versus the Bills? These are both games that the Texans just played very vanilla football against obviously inferior teams.

Again I'm not saying the Texans can't blow out the Jaguars, we all know they can. I'm just saying I'm wouldn't count on that being their goal and I wouldn't take that -15 1/2 betting line.
The jets was still in that game and the bills just stayed around. i watched both games man.

How can anyone believe this shit when the texans got the second most blowup differential in the league after the bears? What is the angle? Are you really trying to discredit teams like the jets and bills by saying the texans played vanilla against them or something?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You know, Rex might be ok in Boston. He won't mind if Belicheat fucks his wife.
As long as he's allowed to watch. And rub his feet.

Hammer24

Banned
I would want the whole Football Manager enchilada (the other football), man. It might be a Euro thing, but it's pretty nice to run every aspect of an organisation. By that, I don't mean choosing play from pre-defined playbooks that are horribly simplified. I want to scout properly, I want to train and coach properly, and I want to manage the finances. Whoever makes a sim that comes close to it gets my money for sure.

It should tie into that fantasy football craze. Have real players, and every year in the season you´d score like in fantasy football. They could sell the new (college draft) rosters every year, and I´d gladly pay.

Top Bottom