• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 11 |OT| Turn Your Head and Cough

Has "u" really replaced "you" for a lot of people? I usually don't care about people mangling a language, but seeing that one everywhere bugs me. There's no 140 character limit outside of texting/Twitter, don't forget about that...

I type out all my words with immaculate grammar and punctuation unless I'm shitting or masturbating. u kno what I mean

So how did u guys win then? Was it not on a blown coverage on the game winning drive? It was like 3rd and 17 and he converted.

The Rats were driving to tie the game, not win. At best that's all they would have done.

Rats had a great first half, shit 2nd. Steelers reversed. Rats didn't let the Steelers win, they choked.

Why are u magnifying our shortcomings but failing to see how bad the rest of the teams we are competing with are as well?

It's call tempering my expectations. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. It's a defense mechanism I use for repeat playoff failures, and now, marriage.

To be honest I'd be fine if my daughter never played video games. I don't like the idea of her sitting in front of the TV for extended periods no matter what the activity (watching TV/Movies, playing games).

If I didn't already have a Wii I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one for her. Not because she's a girl either.

I agree totally. Everything in moderation for kids, because they lack the control. But if my daughter decides to play, it'll be the option. One of her friends had the dumb EyePet game, which introduced a desire for gaming, but that kind of game is bullshit.

I liked Bioshock 1, but for me Mass Effect is the best franchise this gen and the games keep getting better. I wouldnt be surprised if Halo 4 gives ME3 a run for best game this gen though. The changes to Halo 4's mp are fantastic. It is easily the best mp Halo experience to date. I really wish they had left firefight in though. Spartan Ops is good but I loved FF so much in ODST and Reach.

I agree totally. Everything in moderation for kids, because they lack the control. But if my daughter decides to play, it'll be the option. One of her friends had the dumb EyePet game, which introduced a desire for gaming, but that kind of game is bullshit.

Even though I hope she doesn't gravitate towards games I highly doubt that will happen. I fell in love with games at 3 years old and she is my kid. She'll be 3 in May. That plus she's already a savant at using the iPad and already knows how to navigate a pc with a mouse.

I try my best - I rarely play video games in front of her and I never play any violent games until she's asleep, but I fear it's just a matter of time.

I liked Bioshock 1, but for me Mass Effect is the best franchise this gen and the games keep getting better. I wouldnt be surprised if Halo 4 gives ME3 a run for best game this gen though. The changes to Halo 4's mp are fantastic. It is easily the best mp Halo experience to date. I really wish they had left firefight in though. Spartan Ops is good but I loved FF so much in ODST and Reach.
Halo 4 has been great fun so far but the best game of this generation is Dark Souls by a long shot. C'mon man!

bionic77

To be honest I'd be fine if my daughter never played video games. I don't like the idea of her sitting in front of the TV for extended periods no matter what the activity (watching TV/Movies, playing games).

If I didn't already have a Wii I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one for her. Not because she's a girl either.
Yeah I am going to see if I can delay games for my kids as long as possible.

But if they are going to play it I would recommend they don't start until they are at least 8.

I really want my kids to get into readings and other sorts of activities that help develop their brains and critical thinking. Games, while fun when you are a kid and have a shit load of free time, don't really develop anything other than a big ass and a gut.

This going to be especially tricky though because I still like to play games so I don't know how the fuck I am going to pull it off once they get a little older. I might just give it up or secretly play handhelds out of the house.

Completely incorrect.

Amendola suffered a collarbone dislocation at the sternoclavicular joint, which most frequently occurs outwards towards the shoulder. In rare occurrences, such as the inward compaction during a car accident, the collarbone can dislocate inwards, towards the heart.

Ben has suffered a dislocated rib (and simply sprained his SC joint), of which there have no reports to state how badly, nor which rib. For all we know, this is simply a run-of-the-mill rib dislocation, at the very common angle that is not in any way life threatening, that Ben is simply going overkill on as he always does.

In very infrequent cases, a dislocated rib can point towards the heart and aorta, risking a puncture. However in relation to an inward dislocated SC joint, the likelihood of that is massively less so.

I chalk to this up to Ben being Ben again.
So Ben is making his own medical decisions now?

You are crazy.

:lol

But if they are going to play it I would recommend they don't start until they are at least 8.

I really want my kids to get into readings and other sorts of activities that help develop their brains and critical thinking. Games, while fun when you are a kid and have a shit load of free time, don't really develop anything other than a big ass and a gut.

This going to be especially tricky though because I still like to play games so I don't know how the fuck I am going to pull it off once they get a little older. I might just give it up or secretly play handhelds out of the house.

3DS/Vita seems to be the answer. I've recently gotten in short bouts of Order of Ecclesia in and when she's done hanging out with her mom or eating and comes to see what i'm doing I just slam it shut and go read to her or something.

colin01odbh5.gif

You can watch

3DS/Vita seems to be the answer. I've recently gotten in short bouts of Order of Ecclesia in and when she's done hanging out with her mom or eating and comes to see what i'm doing I just slam it shut and go read to her or something.
So good.

I played hundreds of hours of Demon Souls but I couldnt get into DS. I am sure it is a great game though, just not the kind of game I would consider for best overall.
Interesting, that's kind of surprising. I also enjoyed Demon's Souls quite a bit but I think the small changes in Dark Souls make it a much better game overall (plus the fact that the whole word is connected which is just fantastic). You should give it another shot sometime.

Milchjon

I grew up with very limited access to TVs/consoles, and spent most of my time reading and playing outside.

Look how that turned out.

In the end I think you'll have to accept that there's a limit to how well you can control your kids' media use.

I definitely made up for the lack of TV/gaming access (fast food, too) later in life.

I don't have kids so feel free to disregard my opinion but I've been around friends' for a good decade so I'm not making shit up.

Moderation isn't a word you can use until after they hit puberty.
It's all about structure and setting healthy boundaries that you have to be firm on.

I haven't seen too much obsessive behavior in girls to be honest so I suppose that applies to the crazy boys I've been around.

Fox318

Let's just face it man, the AFC East is a division of pure suck minus the Patriots.
Bills need a better QB than Fitzmagic.
Fish need that statue that the Marlins have
Pats need some better wiretapping equipment.
Jets need an OC with an actually brain who isn't attached to the quitter Parcells.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bills need a better QB than Fitzmagic.
Fish need that statue that the Marlins have
Pats need some better wiretapping equipment.
Jets need an OC with an actually brain who isn't attached to the quitter Parcells.

Are we really still blaming the OC?

Sanchez is fucking garbage. That wasn't on Schotty. It wasn't on Rex. It's not on other players on the team. The dude fucking sucks, always did and always will.

bionic77

I grew up with very limited access to TVs/consoles, and spent most of my time reading and playing outside.

In the end I think you'll have to accept that there's a limit to how well you can control your kids' media use.

I definitely made up for the lack of TV/gaming access (fast food, too) later in life.
Totally disagree.

That is for shitty parents!

Ez's kid is probably going to get a 3DS and Vita at age 2 and he already probably puts Coke or Pepsi in her bottle (he is not a total monster, no booze until she turns 10), but that ain't how we roll in my house!

I do admit that the fact that you turned out to be a dirty Pats fan is a little disconcerting. Did the dirty guy at the bicycle shop touch you when you were a kid? Where did it all go wrong? I want to avoid those mistakes!

jmdajr

l

Shit my kid is only 4 months old and I feel guilty playing games now. I only do it when she's asleep, and on the weekend. Games require just way too much attention.

LevelNth

Banned
So Ben is making his own medical decisions now?

You are crazy.

:lol
I just find this whole tirade year after year tiresome. Ben has no credibility whatsoever when it comes to describing his injuries, and when combined with his hilarious over exaggerations, I just don't buy it until an official team report is issued stating exactly the same. I mean, look at this from PFT:
Roethlisberger told reporters he also dislocated a rib Monday night, and that doctors were concerned it could cut into his aorta. He said he didn’t think it was a season-ending injury.

Roethlisberger said he’s still in serious pain, pegging it as “nine on a scale of 1-10.”

He said he’s slept a total of four hours over the last two nights, and wore a sling to talk to reporters because doctors don’t want the rib jostled out of place while it heals.

“I can move [the arm] around, that’s not the issue,” Roethlisberger said. “Sometimes when I do move it the rib will kind of pop out of place again, which is pretty painful. I just try to keep it as still as I can for the most part.”
This is without question season ending. A fully dislocated (meaning repeated dislocations, as Ben states) would take minimum 3-4 weeks to heal (for even the freakish of athletes) simply to prevent further re-dislocations. This of course doesn't remotely approach how easily it would be to dislocate again while, oh I don't know, playing football.

This is normally no problem and many a QB could back on the field, but all the while it's this supposed injury that is super rare that doctors feel the dislocating rib could puncture the aorta at any time? Cool Ben, see you on the field for the next Ravens game to lauded headlines of your toughness.

If actual reports come out that support this serious extent of injury, or Ben doesn't play again this season, I'll happily eat crow on this post.

Just curious, were you forbidden from media use at a young age?

My mother forced me to be vegetarian until I turned 18. Because of this I ended up loving meat more than I normally would have. It was such a forbidden pleasure that I would sneak out and eat it all the time, moreso even because of not getting it at home. I also grew to dislike fish because that was the only protein my mom would give me.

exarkun

So how did u guys win then? Was it not on a blown coverage on the game winning drive? It was like 3rd and 17 and he converted.

Are u watchig the same games I am?? The AFC has no dominant team right now so how are u so hard on the ravens?? The steelers lost to the freaking raiders and titans and nearly to the bengals. The pats barely beat the bills. Houston always chokes in the playoffs.

Why are u magnifying our shortcomings but failing to see how bad the rest of the teams we are competing with are as well?

The signal went up. I am here. I will battle you with rhetoric of mine own: Its hard to choke when your own fans had no expectations!

Also, BaltimoreLarry I would go the NES route. I actually thought about the same thing, if I had a kid I would start them with that. Or a SNES. But preferably the NES cause its hard to hit those click button on top of the SNES controller with Alex Smith hands.

Milchjon

Totally disagree.

That is for shitty parents!

Ez's kid is probably going to get a 3DS and Vita at age 2 and he already probably puts Coke or Pepsi in her bottle (he is not a total monster, no booze until she turns 10), but that ain't how we roll in my house!

I do admit that the fact that you turned out to be a dirty Pats fan is a little disconcerting. Did the dirty guy at the bicycle shop touch you when you were a kid? Where did it all go wrong? I want to avoid those mistakes!

Well, I mean in the long term. Of course you can keep them locked up when they're young, but at least in my case that only lead to me spending a disproportionate part of my teen years in front of some sort of screen.

As for me being a Pats fan, over the course of all these days I spent outside, I learned to fully appreciate the beauty of what nature has to offer. So it's only logical that I'm drawn towards the team being lead by the most impressive creature God has allowed to be put on earth.

These kids are vicious at games now. They are fine tuned to this shit.

I'm actually a little disgusted by this.

Mostly because I was the same when I was small, and in retrospect that meant a lot of weekends playing games that could have been spent more wisely elsewhere. If I have a son i'm severely going to severely limit his gaming use.

My mother forced me to be vegetarian until I turned 18. Because of this I ended up loving meat more than I normally would have. It was such a forbidden pleasure that I would sneak out and eat it all the time, moreso even because of not getting it at home. I also grew to dislike fish because that was the only protein my mom would give me.
Damn. I'll never criticize you again. That plus being a Steelers fan is punishment enough.

Milchjon

We just didn't own a TV until I was 14 (conscious decision by my parents, not us being dirty poors). My mother also disapproved of fast food, although her cooking was healthy, tasty and varied.

I wasn't forbidden to from media use per se, I just had almost no access. When I was at my grandparents, we always spent as much time in front of a TV as possible.

My parents weren't overly restrictive, I had all the toys/books/magazines I needed. Cinema too. Just no TV.

Edit: BTW bionic, give your kids LEGO. I think there are few toys that are as educating and creative while being as fun as those.

squicken

Completely incorrect.

Amendola suffered a collarbone dislocation at the sternoclavicular joint, which most frequently occurs outwards towards the shoulder. In rare occurrences, such as the inward compaction during a car accident, the collarbone can dislocate inwards, towards the heart.

Ben has suffered a dislocated rib (and simply sprained his SC joint), of which there have no reports to state how badly, nor which rib. For all we know, this is simply a run-of-the-mill rib dislocation, at the very common angle that is not in any way life threatening, that Ben is simply going overkill on as he always does.

In very infrequent cases, a dislocated rib can point towards the heart and aorta, risking a puncture. However in relation to an inward dislocated SC joint, the likelihood of that is massively less so.

I chalk to this up to Ben being Ben again.

Thx for correction. Didn't know they were different. I do know that Amendola had to be medically sedated at the stadium and shoulder reset b/c the were worried about moving him further.

When the gory detailed were relayed to the Rams Club VP the next day, he fainted and an ambulance was called b/c it was thought he might have had a heart attack lol

Top Bottom