• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 12 |OT| What Are You Thankful For?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I agree. The problem was Sanchez had a 2012 cap number of 11.25m and the Jets had no cap room. So they could have cut him and throw in the towel on 2012 or restructured his deal. In retrospect it's easy to say they should have cut him, but did you think that in the offseason? Did most fans? Did the owner?
Pretty sure the answer to that is a resounding "yes!" I don't think anyone read the news of the Sanchez extension and thought "Good move."

Ænima

c'mon bro. He put himself in that situation by screwing up their cap so bad he had no choice but to compound his mistake and extend him. Unless it's a Luck/RG3 QB draft it's all a guess at the position, and they got unlucky with Sanchez. Then screwed up their cap by handing out bad extensions to fading players so that when it came time to move on, they couldn't

What happened this year isn't Sanchez's fault. It's the culmination of bad decisions by an owner, GM, and HC. How much better would they be with Stafford, Cutler, or Ryan?
I would bet they would at least be a couple of wins better (at the end of the season) with a middle-of-the-pack QB like Stafford or Cutler, and significantly better with Matt Ryan. You are understating how awful Sanchez has been.

While Rex sucks as a head coach, if we were ranking the 32 coaches and 32 QBs, Rex would be much higher up on his list than Sanchez.

squicken

Pretty sure the answer to that is a resounding "yes!" I don't think anyone read the news of the Sanchez extension and thought "Good move."

So cut him? I mean that definitely would have been the right move, but that also would have meant completely giving up on the season. Can't remember who we were discussing it with but don't you now have to trade Revis? If you were going to cut Sanchez, wouldn't trading Revis last offseason also have been a good idea?

LJ11

Been saying it for a while now: Rex is just like his dad, a great defensive cordinator but a terrible HC. My guess would be his brother will be the same.

Same situation down here. Kubiak isnt a great HC but the hiring of Wade (same issue) has greatly helped to balance things.

His brother isn't a good DC, not as good as Rex. Coordinator for life most likely but you never know.

Ænima;44692002 said:
I would bet they would at least be a couple of wins better (at the end of the season) with a middle-of-the-pack QB like Stafford or Cutler, and significantly better with Matt Ryan. You are understating how awful Sanchez has been.

While Rex sucks as a head coach, if we were ranking the 32 coaches and 32 QBs, Rex would be much higher up on his list than Sanchez.

He's awful, but it's on the GM to find a better backup/alternative. Instead, the brain trust brings in Tebow and gave up a third to do so.

Let's weaken an already weak roster, bring in a guy who can't QB and forgo a selection in the draft to do so. LOL

Link

The Autumn Wind
So cut him? I mean that definitely would have been the right move, but that also would have meant completely giving up on the season. Can't remember who we were discussing it with but don't you now have to trade Revis? If you were going to cut Sanchez, wouldn't trading Revis last offseason also have been a good idea?
I think they could have stuck McElroy in there and the season wouldn't have been any worse. Heck, they had Drew Stanton before the Tebow trade. He was more than serviceable with the Lions. Sanchez literally brings nothing to the table the team couldn't have gotten with a much cheaper alternative.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with Revis. His salary this year wasn't very high, and he's probably the best in the league at his position. Why would you feel the need to cut him?

MechDX

His brother isn't a good DC, not as good as Rex. Coordinator for life most likely but you never know.

Some guys just arent cut to be a HC in this league. Wade is in a good spot. He and his family are put on a pedistool here, his hometown and being near his dad as he gets older and he is the highest paid assistant in the league at 2.5 million per year.

He did back out of an interview for the Tampa job last year so I am believing he is happy doing what he does. I do think the chances of us losing DB's coach Vance Joseph to a DC spot this year are likely.

Whats gonna happen:

1341423556987_zpse3808f4f.gif
:jnc
Can't wait to hear what happened

squicken

I think they could have stuck McElroy in there and the season wouldn't have been any worse. Heck, they had Drew Stanton before the Tebow trade. He was more than serviceable with the Lions. Sanchez literally brings nothing to the table the team couldn't have gotten with a much cheaper alternative.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with Revis. His salary this year wasn't very high, and he's probably the best in the league at his position. Why would you feel the need to cut him?

Revis is an asset. If you aren't a playoff team (and w/ McElroy they aren't), then why keep him? Are the Jets a playoff team next year? Seems unlikely. No QB + cap issues + fewer picks. Revis is getting close to 30. To me it's just as much a no brainer to trade him as it was to cut Sanchez

Ænima;44692002 said:

I haven't once said Sanchez was good or even okay. We also disagree on on the those QBs. Not sure why Ryan is significantly better

Link

The Autumn Wind
Revis is an asset. If you aren't a playoff team (and w/ McElroy they aren't), then why keep him? Are the Jets a playoff team next year? Seems unlikely. No QB + cap issues + fewer picks. Revis is getting close to 30. To me it's just as much a no brainer to trade him as it was to cut Sanchez
Revis is only 27 and a franchise player. You can't get rid of every good player you have because you're anticipating a down year. There's a responsibility to the fans as well. Besides, that's all a bit moot now, as Revis will probably be a relative bargain coming off injury.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
1) Tannenbaum had to extend Sanchez in order to create cap space. They had big time need at safety so had to pick up Landry and Bell at a relatively cheap price of $5.4M for the year for both. Further, they couldn't get much more than replacement level players at other need spots (Chaz Schilens).

2) From watching the games, I feel like Sanchez is out there on an island. Running into Moore's ass notwithstanding, his OL has been hit or miss all year, he hasn't had a running game for all but 2-3 games the whole season, his receivers definitely aren't doing him any favors, and he's got Tebow - and the fan base screaming for him - breathing down his neck. Put the offensive issues together with a fading D and you have a real problem. There are a lot of issues with the Jets, Sanchez is not near the top.

Fox318

Tebow and a new OC are in order.

New GM and they should trade all of the bad players to the colts and/or Rams.
Tebow forgives the Jets for their treachery. But I am pretty sure his Dad is going to give them a 1000 years of darkness.
You mean hurricane Sandy?

tmdorsey

2) From watching the games, I feel like Sanchez is out there on an island. Running into Moore's ass notwithstanding, his OL has been hit or miss all year, he hasn't had a running game for all but 2-3 games the whole season, his receivers definitely aren't doing him any favors, and he's got Tebow - and the fan base screaming for him - breathing down his neck. Put the offensive issues together with a fading D and you have a real problem. There are a lot of issues with the Jets, Sanchez is not near the top.

Yep. It's like people forget that the team got to 2 championship games with Sanchez behind center.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
1) Tannenbaum had to extend Sanchez in order to create cap space. They had big time need at safety so had to pick up Landry and Bell at a relatively cheap price of $5.4M for the year for both. Further, they couldn't get much more than replacement level players at other need spots (Chaz Schilens).

Sanchez is problem number one. He really is.

Tebow is a fucking non-factor. Any QB whos played as shitty as Sanchez this year has either lost his job by this point or his backup QB is the most popular guy in town.

I can't believe people still point the finger at other players on the Jets for Sanchez being a scrub. The reality is that Sanchez is just fucking garbage. He's the one killing the offense, its not the offense that is killing Mark Sanchez.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yep. It's like people forget that the team got to 2 championship games with Sanchez behind center.

I don't think people forget, what has been said above is that he needed top D, top OL, top everything and rode it to the AFC CG.

It's been a fast and far fall from 2 years ago.

BTW their pass D is top 5...!

But that's because their run D is bottom 3 and there's no sense in passing.

Rex quoting Sanchez's QB rating after that national embarrassment was just as funny as the butt fumble. Yeah, Rex, we're all real impressed with Sanchez's series of checkdowns in a 30 point ass kicking.

Rorschach

Rex quoting Sanchez's QB rating after that national embarrassment was just as funny as the butt fumble. Yeah, Rex, we're all real impressed with Sanchez's series of checkdowns in a 30 point ass kicking.

Garbage time QB rating saves a lot of mediocre (or shitty) QBs or vaunts them to "elite" status talk. Like how people thought Jason Campbell was a serviceable QB or that Carson Palmer is good.

I'm pretty sure that Rex isn't going anywhere. That's the only thing that makes sense of this whole ordeal.

Like it or not the Jets are stuck with Sanchez. That's why I think Rex is standing behind him so voraciously. He'll cost too much to cut, and the Jets are in a downward spiral anyway, so benching him is pointless.

This is a conversation I heard from two guards in Hitman Absolution.

"I've got money on the underdog, Sanchez."
"Sanchez? An underdog? Now there's a mix of words."
"Yeah, well I used to like the Patriots, but I think Sanchez is going to eat 'em for breakfast!"

Tom Penny

I'm pretty sure that Rex isn't going anywhere. That's the only thing that makes sense of this whole ordeal.

Like it or not the Jets are stuck with Sanchez. That's why I think Rex is standing behind him so voraciously. He'll cost too much to cut, and the Jets are in a downward spiral anyway, so benching him is pointless.

If by an act of god Tebow came in and won games Rex would look like even more of a buffoon. He can't win.

bionic77

Except they have Tebow.

Start Tim and win the next 3 Superbowls and then trick the Raiders that Sanchez is actually good and trade him for picks.

Link

The Autumn Wind

"Yeah, well I used to like the Patriots, but I think Sanchez is going to eat 'em for breakfast!"
You'd think AI would be better these days.

Rorschach

Carson is a top ten fantasy QB, friend.

He's riding all my benches!

...when game nerds try to go outside their boundaries... Just like when CSI and the like try to talk computer jargon.

Top Bottom