• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 12 |OT| What Are You Thankful For?

JCizzle

I bet that conversation between Harbs and Alex was super awkward.

Yo, Alex, I'm going to stop lying to you. You suck, in fact you're total fucking hot garbage. All that shit I said to you about being my guy was bullshit. I would have kicked you to the curb earlier had that fat foreheaded fuck not betrayed me, but I digress. Colin's ready and I no longer have to pretend to like you. Good Bye Alex.

BTW, We have a 10:00 tee time at Olympic tomorrow, see you there!

In all seriousness, I have to agree. I don't see this working out well for the Niners at all. Colin looked good on Monday night, and he's certainly shown that he's got the physical tools to be successful, but he's a rookie QB at this point. Not a known commodity whatsoever. Alex got you to overtime in the NFCCG and was one Kyle Williams away from the Super Bowl. Smith was certainly not spectacular, but he was dependable. Alex Smith was not the guy who was going to lose the game for the Niners. How does Kaepernick react? Yet to be determined.

There's also the question of loyalty, which this makes it look like Harbaugh has none. The guy who got you to 13-3 and a deep playoff run gets yanked (while he's playing well no less) essentially just because he reported a concussion. That's not going to be a good look in the locker room for Harbs if things go south.

Sure, he won't lose games - but is he capable of pulling off 2-3 of those Saints performances against elite defensive competition and schemes in the playoffs? I still have my doubts. As much as Kyle blew it, it's not like Alex was making plays in the Giants game either. If the average expectation from your QB is that he won't blow it, then you need to look to upgrade. I don't see the consistent threat of a big play from Alex like you get with a more dynamic QB. I love the guys intelligence and determination, but I think he's plateaued as an athlete.

as funny as it sounds, the panthers would have more wins this year if alex was their QB instead of scam. remember all that jibber jabber earlier in the year when jon beason and the other losers on your team tried to tear alex down for saying that winning is more important than stats when referring to scam? lulz

Now Alex's record and his stats are better. :(

squicken

I think I'm going to go with the best coach is football over you wankers. Do you think Giants and 49ers fans want to see Kap or Alex in the playoffs? mmm hmm

Kap pulled the trigger on throws where Alex would have just ate the sack. Yes, I know Alex beat NO last year. But this is the kind of game where they need to score some points, and Harbs is going to play the guy with the higher ceiling

It's not like he hasn't stomped on Alex's balls before. If it doesn't work, Kap goes back to bench for more seasoning and Alex goes in and does the same middling job he always has.

Sure, he won't lose games - but is he capable of pulling off 2-3 of those Saints performances against elite defensive competition and schemes in the playoffs? I still have my doubts. As much as Kyle blew it, it's not like Alex was making plays in the Giants game either. If the average expectation from your QB is that he won't blow it, then you need to look to upgrade. I don't see the consistent threat of a big play from Alex like you get with a more dynamic QB. I love the guys intelligence and determination, but I think he's plateaued as an athlete.

the game wasn't all on alex. yes he was 1/13 on 3rd downs (and that conversion meaningless on the last play of regulation) but look at the wr's he had. crabtree, kyle williams, brett swain and joe hastings. give me a fucking break. throw in some shitty weather and you get what we got.

not 100% excusing alex because its the NFC title game and MAYBE you take some more chances on guys who are blanketed but all other things being equal we should have won that game and would have without kyle williams turnovers. doesn't do any good to talk about what-ifs now but i just don't think alex caused us to lose that game. he didn't win it for us obviously but he's not the reason we lost

Although I will say that Harbs was smart to move Kap in for the game against the Saints.

That D will probably make him look like Steve Young reincarnated and his confidence (and the team's confidence in him) will skyrocket.

JCizzle

the game wasn't all on alex. yes he was 1/13 on 3rd downs (and that conversion meaningless on the last play of regulation) but look at the wr's he had. crabtree, kyle williams, brett swain and joe hastings. give me a fucking break. throw in some shitty weather and you get what we got.

not 100% excusing alex because its the NFC title game and MAYBE you take some more chances on guys who are blanketed but all other things being equal we should have won that game and would have without kyle williams turnovers. doesn't do any good to talk about what-ifs now but i just don't think alex caused us to lose that game. he didn't win it for us obviously but he's not the reason we lost

Certainly not trying to suggest it was all on Alex at all (90% Kyle, 10% everyone else IMO), but I think that game pointed to some of his limitations. Your point in the last sentence is where I'm going with my point - I think Harbaugh views CK as the kind of guy that CAN be difference in winning those games as opposed to just not being the main reason why we lost. Put another way, i think talking to a drunk, uninhibited Harbaugh would say Alex is a good/very good QB for his system, but would also say that CK has the potential to be something beyond that.

Tabris

HELP ME. I am in roster lineup hell! I am in a super competitive 10-man league and I'm currently in 1st and a win this week will clinch me a bye spot.

Who do I play as my flex (other 2 RB spots are AP and CJ) ? Marcel Reece, Matt Forte, or Benjarvis Green-Ellis?
Who do I play as my 3rd WR (other 2 WR spots are AJ and ) ? Mike Wallace, Denario Alexander, or TY Hilton?

I need me some roster nirvana.

Certainly not trying to suggest it was all on Alex at all (90% Kyle, 10% everyone else IMO), but I think that game pointed to some of his limitations. Your point in the last sentence is where I'm going with my point - I think Harbaugh views CK as the kind of guy that CAN be difference in winning those games as opposed to just not being the main reason why we lost. Put another way, i think talking to a drunk, uninhibited Harbaugh would say Alex is a good/very good QB for his system, but would also say that CK has the potential to be something beyond that.

i agree with you about kap. high risk, high reward. he will take those chances. i just can't envision us winning a superbowl this year with him. i CAN with alex but maybe time will prove me wrong

squicken

Exactly. Alex wasn't at fault for the Giants game. Like I said a few days ago, it was a battle of game managers and Kyle Williams shit the bed to lose it

But Kap can be the guy to make the plays to win it. Against the Bears pass rush he moved around and kept his eyes down field. Unlike the Rams game, he scrambled to throw and not run. But he's got that run element that could have converted a lot of those 3rd downs that Alex couldn't vs NYG when the WRs were covered.

Like I said though 49ers fans have a lot of history with Alex and don't like seeing him done this way after all he has given the team.

squicken

HELP ME. I am in roster lineup hell! I am in a super competitive 10-man league and I'm currently in 1st and a win this week will clinch me a bye spot.

Who do I play as my flex (other 2 RB spots are AP and CJ) ? Marcel Reece, Matt Forte, or Benjarvis Green-Ellis?
Who do I play as my 3rd WR (other 2 WR spots are AJ and ) ? Mike Wallace, Denario Alexander, or TY Hilton?

I need me some roster nirvana.

No Steelers, and no Bears until the starters are back at QB. Hilton/Alexander and Reece/BGE are coin flips.

cajunator

Banned
Harbaugh's gutsy decision is either going to wind up being brilliant or blow up in his face.

Its not a very gutsy decision because Alex was concussed and CK played extremely well.
Although how the next game goes will obviously determine how good or bad of a decision it was.

Its not a very gutsy decision because Alex was concussed and CK played extremely well.
Although how the next game goes will obviously determine how good or bad of a decision it was.

I thought Alex Smith was clear to play this week?

Kind of feel bad for Small Hands.

Is he? I dont really follow 49er news.

Pretty sure he was. Oh well, guess we'll see how NO's defense handles a rookie QB in the dome again. Last time RGII gave the Saint's defense (and offense) a run for their money. Obviously San Fran is a much better team then the Redskins, but since Kap'n is athletic like RGIII, I wonder how that will play out.

cajunator

Banned
Pretty sure he was. Oh well, guess we'll see how NO's defense handles a rookie QB in the dome again. Last time RGII gave the Saint's defense (and offense) a run for their money. Obviously San Fran is a much better team then the Redskins, but since Kap'n is athletic like RGIII, I wonder how that will play out.

The whole team was shit back then.
They are playing much better.
Should be a very competitive game.

Thanksgiving prediction:

Texans 56
Lions -2

Before anyone asks how it's possible to get negative points ... they will find a way. Trust me. Just as Schwartz will find a way to get a three-year contract extension and crush our dreams.

squicken

New owners want their own leadership. New GMs want their own coaches. Coaches want their own QBs. Harbs drafted and developed Kap. He looked high and low to replace Alex in the offseason but had to bring him back. Kap was always they choice

FMT remember when we said Pete was letting Wilson "win" the job vs KC in the preseason b/c he knew that D was shit and Wilson would coast to it? That's what Harbs is doing here vs NO. He plays Alex and then there is a controversy, b/c almost anyone will look good vs that defense

he has not been cleared to play yet, only to practice. he was cleared to practice last week and then did not pass the final test to get the ok to play on monday night

Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter
BREAKING: Jim Harbaugh has informed Alex Smith that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday, per source. Said decision not based on health.

---
Also had forgot that Harbs called Alex elite earlier

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
Wonder if Harbaugh will contend that Alex Smith is elite backup.

lulz

New owners want their own leadership. New GMs want their own coaches. Coaches want their own QBs. Harbs drafted and developed Kap. He looked high and low to replace Alex in the offseason but had to bring him back. Kap was always they choice

FMT remember when we said Pete was letting Wilson "win" the job vs KC in the preseason b/c he knew that D was shit and Wilson would coast to it? That's what Harbs is doing here vs NO. He plays Alex and then there is a controversy, b/c almost anyone will look good vs that defense

Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter
BREAKING: Jim Harbaugh has informed Alex Smith that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday, per source. Said decision not based on health.

---
Also had forgot that Harbs called Alex elite earlier

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
Wonder if Harbaugh will contend that Alex Smith is elite backup.

lulz

i trust whatever harbs does. i think kap does things better than alex and some things worse. guess we'll find out soon enough if he is better for the team. i still feel bad for alex. he has done everything the team has asked him to do, he's having the best season of his career and he's getting benched for a guy that had 1 good game. not saying its right or wrong for the 49ers but alex just can't catch a break

squicken

Dilfer did something that countered Trotter's story so Trotter posted this

Jim Trotter @SI_JimTrotter
i have great respect for @tdespn and alex smith, and stand behind my report. harbaugh to alex: "I'm going with Kaepernick. Alex, I'm sorry."

Alex, I'm sorry

i trust whatever harbs does. i think kap does things better than alex and some things worse. guess we'll find out soon enough if he is better for the team. i still feel bad for alex. he has done everything the team has asked him to do, he's having the best season of his career and he's getting benched for a guy that had 1 good game. not saying its right or wrong for the 49ers but alex just can't catch a break

I was posting this yesterday. Alex does everything right. I believed him when he said he wanted to start what he finished. He's been everything they could have asked him to be the last couple of years. He had total shit for coaching and nothing around him, then he finally gets a chance, performs pretty damn well, and gets his throat cut after a concussion. I don't see how any real 49ers fan wouldn't have mixed emotions

Ranvier

Yeah I want to win and still think Alex deserves to start. Guess we'll have to see how this plays out. Tomorrows press conferences should be really interesting.

etiolate

Banned
I don't feel confident with Kap at QB because he does take risks. He didn't face much of a pass rush versus the Bears. The Niners OLine doesn't normally play that well though. I'm sure NO will go after him, but no matter who is at QB, all the Niners have to do is hand the ball off against the Saints.

Really QB play hasn't been the concern this year. It's inconsistent effort from the defense and poor special teams coverage. The Niners tried to be a different team versus the Giants and it totally backfired. I hope Kap doesn't lead to trying that cute stuff again. Just run over people and take what that opens up.

The question lost in all of this - how much are the Cardinals going to pay Alex Smith next season?

EDIT: A couple of Packers updates from McCarthy's presser:

- CB Sam Shields had a setback and will be out a couple of weeks. It's a more serious injury than we anticipated.
- Clay Matthews is doubtful for the week.
- It would be a stretch for Greg Jennings to make it this week despite running routes today.

Greg

Just got home.

I was dared to speak to these 2 women at a table alone. Mission complete, and I entertained them for 30 minutes. One of the workers that was off the clock was saying his goodbyes, and he spilled the rest of my beer on my lap. Apologized even though it wasn't a big deal and threw down 8 dollars to buy myself and the ladies a drink.

Girls left after the one added me on facebook, and I kept the money for a tip.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Narag

Just got home.

I was dared to speak to these 2 women at a table alone. Mission complete, and I entertained them for 30 minutes. One of the workers that was off the clock was saying his goodbyes, and he spilled the rest of my beer on my lap. Apologized even though it wasn't a big deal and threw down 8 dollars to buy myself and the ladies a drink.

Happy Thanksgiving.

All I'm going to say is I miss externally hosted avatars as an automatic rotation of random goofy Rodgers faces would complete you.

squicken

The question lost in all of this - how much are the Cardinals going to pay Alex Smith next season?

EDIT: A couple of Packers updates from McCarthy's presser:

Alex will be nothing more than a caretaker QB. Either for a rebuilding team team that is a draft away from grabbing it's QB, or a team with a young QB that needs to sit and watch. The new Matt Hasslebeck

gregg rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal
Harbaugh has done such a great coaching job that people are actually outraged he's benching Alex Smith.

Milchjon

Just got home.

Happy Thanksgiving.

8 dollars buys you 3 drinks?
And some guys said Ohio sucks?

Greg

8 dollars buys you 3 drinks?
And some guys said Ohio sucks?
16oz drafts were 2.25 tonight

the worker was so wasted he was just throwing down cash though - he even made me look good in front of the ladies acting so sorry for offending me

Top Bottom