• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 12 |OT| What Are You Thankful For?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wtf at the texans/bears feud here. Lol

I assure you Texans fans, chicago bear fans don't give a fuck. I am calling a truce on behave of all bears fans because you are not in our sights what so ever.

This is all starts with Bob and ends with him. Deal with him since we could care less about your team.

Don't know if he should really be a top 3 prospect, but that right there is really valuable in the NFL. The best interior lineman won't show up in high lights or stat books because they make the rushers look good.

It's definitely really valuable, but it seems like an elite defensive tackle should be able to do at least something against some double teams in college and he just seemed to get erased by them.

Maybe my expectations for the position are off though.

did even niners fans actually like smith

i always thought they defended him cause you defend your QB and thats it. if they had that kapneclickyuspotamus guy last year they couldve won the superbowl

i like alex smith. i think if he is comfortable in the system he is a top 15 QB. teams like the jets and cardinals would be lucky to have a QB like alex. i am conflicted because alex is the definition of a team guy and he has given everything to this team and never complained, never acted like a bitch through all the shit.

but at the sametime, kap is just a much more difficult guy to defend. he might not be as smart/comfortable with the system yet but if you just watch him play vs. alex you can see the difference. he extends plays and really gives WR's a chance to make plays by throwing the ball up to them. alex is much more careful with the ball. this is sometimes a blessing and a curse

squicken

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
Unusual for 1 tm to have 3 DBs facing performance-enhancing suspensions. Winston Guy, Brandon Browner, Richard Sherman for SEA.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
Unusual for 1 tm to have 3 DBs facing performance-enhancing suspensions. Winston Guy, Brandon Browner, Richard Sherman for SEA.

maybe its unusual but it makes sense. all the DB's are doping up together. i'm sure the rest of their DB's are roiding up too but just didn't happen to get tested

Lunchbox

Banned
alex is much more careful with the ball. this is sometimes a blessing and a curse
alex smith's niners remind me of the 05 bears. like watching rex grossman being screamed at to not fuck up so the rest of the team can cover for him

with the new guy they actually look threatening offensively

Systemic cheating under Pete Carroll's watch?

Not like it hasn't happened before.
cushingmatthews.jpg

alex smith's niners remind me of the 05 bears. like watching rex grossman being screamed at to not fuck up so the rest of the team can cover for him

with the new guy they actually look threatening offensively

but grossman still did unleash the dragon. alex smith has never, and will never, "unleash the dragon". it's not in his nature. he'll take a sack before he'll risk a pick. that can be good or it can be bad.

but watching the game today i mean kap kept so many plays alive just by moving around in the pocket and finding guys open. people want to see a night and day difference between alex and kap and you won't find it in the boxscore necessarily but if you watch the game kap is just more of a threat and harder to defend.

still, i just think alex should've been able to finish what he started here. i am a niners fan first but he has gotten the short end of the stick everytime

squicken

"The injury, and the fact that Alex had symptoms seven days later, eight days later on a concussion," Harbaugh said. "I've had some bad experiences, not going to put a guy back out there who has symptoms like he had. They were serious enough."

Smith was injured Nov. 11. The 49ers played Chicago eight days later. Smith has been symptom-free since Tuesday, according to comments Harbaugh made Friday.

Doctors cleared Smith on Saturday. Harbaugh made Smith the No. 2 quarterback Sunday. Meanwhile, Kaepernick passed for one touchdown, rushed for another, took zero sacks and helped the 49ers win third down. Smith watched from the sideline and often kept on his helmet, just in case.

"Now, he eventually got cleared," Harbaugh continued, referring to Smith, "but the thought was to rotate him back into the action. But not all the way to the front lines. Thought that would give him a chance to get cleared up completely. That was the rationale."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/82689/victory-trumps-qb-confusion-for-49ers

LJ11

It's definitely really valuable, but it seems like an elite defensive tackle should be able to do at least something against some double teams in college and he just seemed to get erased by them.

Probably plays too many snaps as well. His diet was absolute garbage before this season, dude would feast at Wendy's. He flashes big time talent just not consistent. Against USC Holmes was terrified for a full quarter, Star dominated but eventually wore down and became a non-factor. Louis Nix on the hand just got stronger against Holmes and played virtually the entire game. Conditioning is critical, you can't be eating Wendy's even if you weigh 340.

Edit: Ngata had similar knocks when he came out, but when a man that big moves that well you have to make exceptions. Plus, like I said, they play too many snaps in college, don't rotate as much as they do in the pros, unless you're Bama.

bluemax

Banned

He destroyed one of the best centers in college when Utah took on USC. Then USC double teamed him and he wasn't as much of a force.

The guy is really good.

squicken

fortunately bluemax has me on ignore and won't get upset about me saying mean things about USC players, but isn't khaled holmes kind of over-hyped?

Cagey

Banned
You know it's a beatdown when you're in the middle of the third quarter and the talk is "so... what time should we leave the stadium and grab a train back since we've got work tomorrow?"

Levyne

Banned
Good job today, Bears. In the middle of a 14 hour road trip (still. 90 minutes from home) but was in range of the chicago station the entire game. I don't think the injuries are season threatening until Cutler or Marshall go down.

Seeing a Packer loss is also nice even if it flips positions for just a week.

I hope we don't suck against the Seahawks again, CBs or no.

Lastly

"So the Bears managed not to lose....." -Seda

i like alex smith. i think if he is comfortable in the system he is a top 15 QB. teams like the jets and cardinals would be lucky to have a QB like alex. i am conflicted because alex is the definition of a team guy and he has given everything to this team and never complained, never acted like a bitch through all the shit.

but at the sametime, kap is just a much more difficult guy to defend. he might not be as smart/comfortable with the system yet but if you just watch him play vs. alex you can see the difference. he extends plays and really gives WR's a chance to make plays by throwing the ball up to them. alex is much more careful with the ball. this is sometimes a blessing and a curse

Yeah, on one hand it sucks for him to lose his job like this. I read that since he's team captain, he still has to go out for coin tosses and stuff. However, Kap clearly gives the niners an added dimension.

At best? He's definitely ahead of Finley at this point. 0 catches is amazing to me.
Let me clarify.

WRs:
1. Jennings
2. Nelson
3. Cobb
4. Jones

Of course Jennings was out but that doesn't change the fact that Jones is generally the #3 target.

And as mentally disabled as Finley is, he should have been in a significant portion of the gameplan.
He is the reason the Packers were able to beat the Giants in 2011.

Instead of repeating the successful gameplan and giving some of Finley's reps to Crabtree or even Williams,
McCarthy went 4-wide when he should have been running 2 TE, 2 RB sets.

This game was a perfect example of the shortcomings of Mike McCarthy and why Philbin's departure was such a large blow.

bluemax

Banned
i'll quote you so he can see it

p.s.

you're ruining this thread with your disrespectful tone

Maybe he's over rated but every draft site I can find with a quick google search has him as the consensus best center in this draft class. His injury early in the season pretty much single handedly cost USC the game against Stanford. Of the 5 main people USC will lose on offense this off season (Barkley, Woods, Holmes, McNeal, Redd) I think Holmes absence will be the most notable next season.

Tabris

I BELIEVE IN ELI!

I BELIEVE HE CAN TOUCH THE SKY!

I THINK ABOUT IT EVERY NIGHT AND DAY

HE SPREADS HIS WINGS AND FLYS AWAY!

I BELIEVE HE CAN SOAR!

I SEE HIM RUNNING THROUGH THAT OPEN FIELD!

I BELIEVE IN ELI!

I BELIEVE IN ELI!!!!

Mrbob

How is that by the way? I saw it was on sale and might pick it up during the winter sale.
It's good. Of course I didn't play the original Elemental so I couldn't tell you the changes. Game is super deep, my first skirmish lasted about 3 hours and I'm still coming to grips with all the game systems involved.

did even niners fans actually like smith

i always thought they defended him cause you defend your QB and thats it. if they had that kapneclickyuspotamus guy last year they couldve won the superbowl

Nope. Seating the first year is good for most people not named RG3 or Andrew Luck

Alex Smith to the Jets next year. Please let this happen.

Would be great if he went there and somehow got to the AFC champ game.

etiolate

Banned
I like Alex. I actually feel a bit safer with him starting a playoff game than Kap starting one. One thing Kap is better than Alex at is throwing on the run. Alex is athletic and can avoid a rush, but he's been less likely to do so and he's not as good at throwing downfield on the run. He tends to take his head down and worry about holding on to the ball. On the other hand, the way Kap holds the ball while he scrambles makes me nervous that he'll get stripped. After two games, I imagine there will a lot of coaches pointing to Kap holding the ball a little loose and to try to strip him every time he scrambles.

Top Bottom