• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 12 |OT| What Are You Thankful For?

Gooster said:
On one hand, Francessa certainly gets his juice on shitting on the Jets. He was downright brutal and kept hammering points past the point of them being relevant.

On the other hand, he's right on a great many of the underlying points. You can't call your guys "character" guys after the past two seasons.

There's another rookie QB that had more turnovers than TD's, and also had pathetic QB rating. He stuck around and did okay.

McNabb

Weeden will definitely be in the mix. It depends who CLE has as GM/Coach.

Holy shit you cant be serious. Mcnabb was an option QB in college who come in on special situations as a rookie and was incredibly raw. Weeden was supposed to be this experienced guy that could step right in and play well. There is no comparing them at all.

Calm down Yankee, he'll be here next year ..... I could see us bringing a veteran guy however (alex smith -_-) just in case. or having more of a Qb battle next year. But I fully expect him to be our Qb next year.
And I think it's been known I've never been the biggest Weeden fan

I think the Browns will bring in a big time coach who will want a fresh start with his own guy. The Steelers had 8 turnovers yesterday and were playing with no QB and still almost won, Weeden was horrid and seems to be really struggling now. I just dont see how they can waste more time with him after this year. Clearly he will still be on the team next year, but I definitely expect them to bring in a guy to build the team around.

bionic77

When we got our ass beat by the Browns we went undefeated the rest of the season.

Lets see the Steelers do that.
The Steelers could actually do that if Ben comes back healthy. Challenge accepted!

Without a healthy qb we could also easily lose the rest of the our games. Our offense is even worse than the Browns without Ben back there, and that is saying something. :(

ari

Banned
No QB, let alone a rookie, would have played well on this 2012 browns team.

not brady, not manning, not rodgers, not ben....nobody.

I had a feeling we'd lose the game against the Browns and I was not wrong. The Steelers did their usual "who cares; it's the Browns" routine which led to all those fumbles, but I think a big part of the loss was the absence of Willie Colon.

This team just cannot run when Colon has a bad game or is injured. He's such a mauler that he blows open barn door size holes for the RB to run through. When he's not there Pouncey alone isn't enough to get leverage, and Foster can't do anything on the block without holding. Adams is competent, but he's also fresh and kept on an island.

Antonio Brown's absence has solidified the positions on this offense - 1. Brown 2. Sanders. 3 Wallace. Unless Wallace goes deep he's invisible, and he can't even do the deep stuff recently without dropping the ball or losing a competition for the ball in the air. Dude is soft and needs to realize that DBs aren't going to just let the ball float into your hands.

12 Weeks in, and here comes the Steelers defense. The secondary is no longer a weakness, and we've looked like kings on the ground recently too. Turnovers have been increasing as well. The D playing well softened the blow of the loss a bit, but that's not saying much.

Oh, also, everybody shut the fuck up about Timmons already. Dude had a monster game. Never gonna doubt that guy again. Woodley on the other hand...

I think the Browns will bring in a big time coach who will want a fresh start with his own guy. The Steelers had 8 turnovers yesterday and were playing with no QB and still almost won, Weeden was horrid and seems to be really struggling now. I just dont see how they can waste more time with him after this year. Clearly he will still be on the team next year, but I definitely expect them to bring in a guy to build the team around.
Who would you have us build the team around? I just dont see any Qbs coming out in the draft I would want to take a chance on in the draft. Weeden is probably better then all of these guys coming out this year or just as good. I don't think we can afford to waste a top pick on a Qb this year. we need to take the coming year to build the team with other players, build the Defense really and try and sure up the offense. If anything i really just picture Weeden as a stop gap Qb until someone special comes along. I just want Weeden to atleast be our Alex Smith

What are you basing this on? They have a good OL, and a decent running game. There WRs suck but lots of QBs have had success with bad WRs. You are nuts if you dont think Rodgers would put up great numbers as the Brown QB.

Who would you have us build the team around? I just dont see any Qbs coming out in the draft I would want to take a chance on in the draft. Weeden is probably better then all of these guys coming out this year or just as good. I don't think we can afford to waste a top pick on a Qb this year. we need to take the coming year to build the team with other players, build the Defense really and try and sure up the offense. If anything i really just picture Weeden as a stop gap Qb until someone special comes along. I just want Weeden to atleast be our Alex Smith

I totally see what you are saying but I cant see them paying A guy like Saban $10m a year and then having him waste a year or 2 waiting for the right guy to come along. I heard an NFL scout make a case for Barkely yesterday saying that he is the same QB he was a year ago and his numbers are only worse since the D is so bad he is being forced to take more chances trying to score since they are behind so often.

ari

Banned

keep Weeden, build around him, get rid of the GM and coach. Trade. Draft........Simple.

What are you basing this on? They have a good OL, and a decent running game. There WRs suck but lots of QBs have had success with bad WRs. You are nuts if you dont think Rodgers would put up great numbers as the Brown QB.

No he would not. The browns is a bad team, the browns doesn't burn through QBs for nothing.

sajj316

Hey guys ..

Any GAF GIF ninjas want to take this gif, take the frames of him kicking, and speed it up?

bunkley-head-11-25-12.gif

I would try but I'm getting websensed like hell at work!

bionic77

I had a feeling we'd lose the game against the Browns and I was not wrong. The Steelers did their usual "who cares; it's the Browns" routine which led to all those fumbles, but I think a big part of the loss was the absence of Willie Colon.

This team just cannot run when Colon has a bad game or is injured. He's such a mauler that he blows open barn door size holes for the RB to run through. When he's not there Pouncey alone isn't enough to get leverage, and Foster can't do anything on the block without holding. Adams is competent, but he's also fresh and kept on an island.

Antonio Brown's absence has solidified the positions on this offense - 1. Brown 2. Sanders. 3 Wallace. Unless Wallace goes deep he's invisible, and he can't even do the deep stuff recently without dropping the ball or losing a competition for the ball in the air. Dude is soft and needs to realize that DBs aren't going to just let the ball float into your hands.

12 Weeks in, and here comes the Steelers defense. The secondary is no longer a weakness, and we've looked like kings on the ground recently too. Turnovers have been increasing as well. The D playing well softened the blow of the loss a bit, but that's not saying much.

Oh, also, everybody shut the fuck up about Timmons already. Dude had a monster game. Never gonna doubt that guy again. Woodley on the other hand...
I will admit I was wrong about Timmons, though he seems to be a different player when Harrison is back. Maybe we were asking too much of him without Harrison to apply pressure?

And speaking of Brown versus Wallace, I would like to take credit for saying that before the season started. Even a filthy Packers fan like eznark noticed the same thing. I would like to keep Wallace because it is great to have a guy stretch the defense, but Brown is the better and more important player.

Get well soon Ben!

BigAT

The real reason the Giants won yesterday: they were kind to a cancer patient instead of spitting on one.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_inspired_by_speech_of_1.html#incart_river

I'm hoping the initial diagnosis on Kenny Phillips is accurate, definitely need him back on defense for the rest of the year. Stevie Brown has been great all things considered, but they need Kenny back there. Losing Andre Brown definitely sucks, but hopefully this will give Wilson the opportunity he needs to step up and show what he can do.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Packers offensive line is so, so bad.

Rodgers has taken 37 sacks this season which is the most in the league and 5 more than the next guy.

We talk about the Saints, the Bears, the Steelers when we talk about bad lines but ours might be the worst in the league.

Striker

Holy shit you cant be serious. Mcnabb was an option QB in college who come in on special situations as a rookie and was incredibly raw. Weeden was supposed to be this experienced guy that could step right in and play well. There is no comparing them at all.
Then why use some numbers to detail why a player is good or not? Do you watch them enough? Browns are one of the league leaders in drops, but you don't bother writing that out. You seem to just base all this off the Week 1 game where he played terrible, which was expected in a young offense. Considering their talent at WR right now, and getting into a pro system, he's done alright.

He's staying whether you agree or not.

bionic77

Ben could win on any team. It would honestly not be that impressive winning on the Browns team. They have a good defense, good OL and great running back. Even Joe Flacco can win with that formula!

eznark

Banned
Packers offensive line is so, so bad.

Rodgers has taken 37 sacks this season which is the most in the league and 5 more than the next guy.

We talk about the Saints, the Bears, the Steelers when we talk about bad lines but ours might be the worst in the league.

Off the top of my head I give at least 30% of those to Rodgers. 25 sacks is still not good, but he himself is inflating those numbers quite a bit.

bionic77

More games would be won, granted, but the talent just isn't there for the browns. Weird to say that a qb change would make the browns a contender.
They have been in every game this year. The reason they keep losing is they can't convert 3rd downs or get any big plays. Even a decent qb could do those things for this team.

A guy like Ben makes them a Superbowl contender. Or would in theory except for the fact that God would probably strike him down with some disease or injury for giving them a chance to win.

Then why use some numbers to detail why a player is good or not? Do you watch them enough? Browns are one of the league leaders in drops, but you don't bother writing that out. You seem to just base all this off the Week 1 game where he played terrible, which was expected in a young offense. Considering their talent at WR right now, and getting into a pro system, he's done alright.

I was just replying to king saying that he is a franchise QB at this point. If we cant use numbers what can we use to judge a QB? Also I have seen way more Brown this year then I would have ever expected.

bionic77

Off the top of my head I give at least 30% of those to Rodgers. 25 sacks is still not good, but he himself is inflating those numbers quite a bit.
Fuck you.

What do you want him to do, throw it away? That will hurt his completion %!!!!

You are a selfish bastard.

JCizzle

Rodgers should take off a bit more and just settle for 4-5 yard pickups before sliding. Don't keep waiting around behind a bad line for someone to break open.

bionic77

yankee is an expert on evaluating quarterbacks.

Draxal

Is it him or the scheme? I really wasn't impressed by McCarthy's gameplan yesterday, but then again it's a throw away regular season game, and Coughlin has done the same in previous years.

ari

Banned
Ben could win on any team. It would honestly not be that impressive winning on the Browns team. They have a good defense, good OL and great running back. Even Joe Flacco can win with that formula!

understandable, but i think another draft and off season is needed for them to build around weeden. thats all.

Slo

It's going to be interesting to see how the Packers get played moving forward. The Giants ran a pretty bland four man rush with two deep safeties the whole game but they did some interesting stuff underneath with man switches and kind of odd zone drops on the weak side of the field. Lots of teams are going to be learning from that game.

If you can manage to hold Ponder to under 3.7 ypa, you might stand a chance.

Weedens growing on me, but I won't be so bold to call him our franchise guy. Like I said before if we can build the team, I'd bd fine with him just being a Game manager for now

yankee is an expert on evaluating quarterbacks.
I was wondering how long this would go on before some said something like this.

cajunator

Banned
Well the Saints playoff chances just got completely shut down (not like they really had a chance) but the fun part is being a spoiler.
49ers with Kap are going to be pretty fucking beastly, even against actual defenses.
If we had a full Oline I think we may have hung with them better but pass rush is a hugely important factor in any game, and if you cant rush the passer and allow your passer to get knocked around, you arent winning many games. Isnt that right Packers?

eznark

Banned
Fuck you.

What do you want him to do, throw it away? That will hurt his completion %!!!!

You are a selfish bastard.

It's a pretty strong trend throughout the league. I think it's a result of the spike in QB fumbles over the last decade that coaches (and QB's) have decided that when under duress, take the sack and don't try to throw it away.

With Rodgers, I think a lot of times it's also a miscalculation of his speed vs. the defenders speed. He gets tripped up from behind a fair bit or seems to be surprised that someone is on him. The Packers have talented and athletic receivers so he tries to buy them time to get open. I don't really have a problem with it generally. It's a philosophy issue. Rodgers will always get sacked a lot.

Rodgers should take off a bit more and just settle for 4-5 yard pickups before sliding. Don't keep waiting around behind a bad line for someone to break open.

lol no

I will admit I was wrong about Timmons, though he seems to be a different player when Harrison is back. Maybe we were asking too much of him without Harrison to apply pressure?

And speaking of Brown versus Wallace, I would like to take credit for saying that before the season started. Even a filthy Packers fan like eznark noticed the same thing. I would like to keep Wallace because it is great to have a guy stretch the defense, but Brown is the better and more important player.

Get well soon Ben!

Lebeau's defense relies heavily on the defensive Ends getting pressure. Hampton is finally rounding into shape, and Keisel is finally showing up. Hood was actually drawing double teams last night.

Look how free all the linebackers were. Harrison ran amok, Timmons was in every play, Foote got a strip (that wasn't called :mad:) and even Worilds had a good game.

KingGondo

Banned
keep Weeden, build around him, get rid of the GM and coach. Trade. Draft........Simple.
I agree with this. Getting rid of Shurmur and replacing him with a decent offensive coach will do more than replacing their QB. The Browns playcalling and super risk-averse style is the main problem.

And I was being tongue-in-cheek when I called Weeden their franchise QB. He has a shot to provide stability and leadership at the QB position for 5-6 years, which I'm pretty sure any Browns fan would gladly take. It remains to be seen whether he can take them to the playoffs and beyond.

Top Bottom