• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 13 |OT| My Favorite Things

Why?

Do you really think the 49ers can't win a SB with Alex Smith? He's completed 70% of his passes this year. His team was 25-1 in his last 26 starts.

Feel like the narrative for Alex Smith is so, so different if Kyle Williams didn't choke away a super bowl appearance last season.

Alex Smith's offensive production is completely dependent on the 49ers game plan and execution. It requires the Running game to be clicking at all times and the defense to be on point. How likely is that through 3 games against the best teams?

neoemonk

Seahawks beat some good teams. They've also lost to some bad teams as well (Arizona, Detroit, Miami, St Louis).

I don't know what to think.

Seanspeed

Banned
Most fraudulent are the Falcons, Pats and Ravens (based on their records).
Pats? C'mon, its possibly the best offense in the league with a strong front 7 on D. Their points deficit with all the games lost combined is only 4 points.

Falcons and Ravens perhaps aren't as good as their records show, but they're still pretty good teams.

I'd say the Colts and maybe the Broncos are ones whose records flatter them a bit.

Lions are one of the only bottom teams that I think are better than their record. Cowboys should probably be doing better, but its their own self-destructing thats lead them to be where they are right now.

K-19

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing Kaepernick in New England and in Seattle. Should be very interesting.

Yeah, but there is some chance (minimal) that it won't be the case if we perform against miami the way we did this week with Kap as a starter. I would have prefered a game against a chicago D as prepared as the rams, that would had been very relevant. There is a lot of luck in football.

Smith should have get his concussion earlier.

squicken

I'm looking forward to seeing Kaepernick in New England and in Seattle. Should be very interesting.

I still agree with the switch but Kap literally was the reason they lost. It was a bad call, but the safety came on a play from the 16 yard line. He retreated 23 yards and threw it out of bounds. Harbs put him in a bad spot on the dumb pitch play, but he was rushed on his pitch and should have eaten it

Alex, to a fault, doesn't screw up. And a game like that, it was all they would have needed. You can say he will make the plays that Alex can't to beat the elite teams, but it's possible he'll screw up even more plays than he makes

Also, that win vs CHI needs to be re-evaluated. Either they were frauds all season or that defense is just slow. Rice outran Jennings badly on that TD. 5 yards of separation on a guy people were touting as All-Pro earlier in the year. SF also had lots of WRs in open space vs them. Maybe it's just their age and a long year, but they are not the same defense

eznark

Banned
I still agree with the switch but Kap literally was the reason they lost. It was a bad call, but the safety came on a play from the 16 yard line. He retreated 23 yards and threw it out of bounds. Harbs put him in a bad spot on the dumb pitch play, but he was rushed on his pitch and should have eaten it

Alex, to a fault, doesn't screw up. And a game like that, it was all they would have needed. You can say he will make the plays that Alex can't to beat the elite teams, but it's possible he'll screw up even more plays than he makes

Also, that win vs CHI needs to be re-evaluated. Either they were frauds all season or that defense is just slow. Rice outran Jennings badly on that TD. 5 yards of separation on a guy people were touting as All-Pro earlier in the year. SF also had lots of WRs in open space vs them. Maybe it's just their age and a long year, but they are not the same defense

I think Kaepernick will be an above average quarterback for year to come, but I do not at all agree with the move now. They were winning football games. Kap's poor performance against the abysmal Saints defense (when Smith was still not cleared to play) was the perfect cover for Hardon to reconsider and go with the steady hand.

When your defense is that good you don't need to ride momentum at QB, you need to stick with the steady, boring guy.

DoubleTap

Tough loss last night, but I still confident for the next weeks. Kap has to improve, nobody said the contrary, and rams set perfectly its defense, they won, it's ok. Harbs has to work with Kap till the end, Smith must stay where he is. There is a lot of task ahead, like for every team, to get perfect. I am confident that the issues will be resolve and that the future will be more successful. Believe.

Agreed. Any reasonable fan wouldn't expect Kap to go undefeated. One thing that stood out to me is that Harbs didn't rotate Gore out and kept him almost the whole game save for a few plays. Thus he ran out of gas, got hurt and put more pressure on Kap to get it done. Puzzling non-move considering Jacobs and Dixon were suited up. We really missed Hunter. And enough of the gimmick plays FFS.

There's going to be some growing pains with Kaepernick. Offense didn't perform much differently from what Alex was doing though.
I think Kaepernick will be an above average quarterback for year to come, but I do not at all agree with the move now. They were winning football games. Kap's poor performance against the abysmal Saints defense (when Smith was still not cleared to play) was the perfect cover for Hardon to reconsider and go with the steady hand.

When your defense is that good you don't need to ride momentum at QB, you need to stick with the steady, boring guy.

Harbaugh's been looking for an excuse to get rid of Alex since before the season.

bionic77

Pats? C'mon, its possibly the best offense in the league with a strong front 7 on D. Their points deficit with all the games lost combined is only 4 points.

Falcons and Ravens perhaps aren't as good as their records show, but they're still pretty good teams.

I'd say the Colts and maybe the Broncos are ones whose records flatter them a bit.

Lions are one of the only bottom teams that I think are better than their record. Cowboys should probably be doing better, but its their own self-destructing thats lead them to be where they are right now.
I am going by what I have seen of them. Their defense can be carved up by any good qb. Their coverage is laughable. They are built to beat shitty teams. They can stop the run and their offense only works against a certain kind of shitty defense. Brady can't beat anyone with his arm anymore.

I don't see them beating either the Steelers or Texans if they play them in the playoffs. They can beat the Broncos, Bungles, Colts, and potentially the Ravens (though that will be close as it always is). I am not sure we can beat the Texans, they are a really bad matchup for us. Hopefully they choke or someone else beats them so it is not our problem, but seeing as how we are going to be the 6 seed I don't see how that is going to happen...

How did Kap perform poorly against the Saints? He had a really good game, with several passes completed to Wrs and down the field. Alex has 6 passing plays that went for 30 yards all season. That is horrible, eventually you are going to face a good team in the playoffs that will just stuff the box and dare you to throw deep and small hands cant do it. 9ers have a better shot at winning in the playoffs against a tough D with Kap at QB. I still think Harbs made the right move.

eznark

Banned
How did Kap perform poorly against the Saints? He had a really good game, with several passes completed to Wrs and down the field. Alex has 6 passing plays that went for 30 yards all season. That is horrible, eventually you are going to face a good team in the playoffs that will just stuff the box and dare you to throw deep and small hands cant do it. 9ers have a better shot at winning in the playoffs against a tough D with Kap at QB. I still think Harbs made the right move.

I think this pretty much seals the fact that it was a terrible decision.

And I meant to say the offenses terrible performance, not his personally/statistically.

In New Orleans Kaepernick threw an INT right to a guy and would of been another but Moss threw the DB to the ground.

The Rams
It was a game in a dome vs. mediocre D and got 13 points with 13 possessions.

And I meant to say the offenses terrible performance, not his personally/statistically.

So you cant or dont disagree with anything I said, just that it was me that said it. We will see how it turns out but the fact that Harbs tried to dump alex in the offseason and was willing to pull him now says what he thinks of him and he should know him better then anyone else does.

bionic77

So you cant or dont disagree with anything I said, just that it was me that said it. We will see how it turns out but the fact that Harbs tried to dump alex in the offseason and was willing to pull him now says what he thinks of him and he should know him better then anyone else does.
He should have started the season with Kap then. This is probably the last year of their window to win a SB unless they hit the lottery in the draft this offseason. And they still don't know who their qb is.

This was a horrible decision by Harbs, and I don't feel bad for him because he comes from a family with a long history of d-bagism.

K-19

Banned

I would say a risky move, but srly, we can conjecture all day about if Kap was the right decision, but Harbs has to act and we'll be only able to say if it was nice or not at the end of the SB run. Still, as a 49ers fan, even if it's my first year here, I can say that Smith didn't show impressive thing this season. However we could also agree to bionic with his interesting theory which say that only shitty-average team can make for the SB, if it's true we should go with Smith

Bionic I agree with you 100% that he should have started Kap day 1. The 9ers would be in much better shape if he had done that. Maybe he thought another year of development in their system would help alex mature but it clearly didnt happen.

bionic77

I would say a risky move, but srly, we can conjecture all day about if Kap was the right decision, but Harbs has to act and we'll be only able to say if it was nice or not at the end of the SB run. Still, as a 49ers fan, even if it's my first year here, I can say that Smith didn't show impressive thing this season. However we could also agree to bionic with his interesting theory which say that only shitty-average team can make for the SB, if it's true we should go with Smith
Not my theory, many others have noticed this.

And just look at recent history dude. The 5 and 6 seeds own this league now!

eznark

Banned

So far Kaepernick's only above average performance came in a game in which he entered late and the defense was not game planning for him. He struggled against a very, very bad (historically bad) defense in New Orleans and essentially forfeit the game yesterday.

If you like Kaepernick go with him in the off-season is all I am saying. I don't see how throwing him into this situation really benefits anyone.

I'd cut Smith the minute the season ends though.

I would say a risky move, but srly, we can conjecture all day about if Kap was the right decision, but Harbs has to act and we'll be only able to say if it was nice or not at the end of the SB run.

If we are just going to say "well, we have to default to authority" then you may as well shut down the internet and all sports talk radio and all editorials and ESPN etc...

bionic77

Bionic I agree with you 100% that he should have started Kap day 1. The 9ers would be in much better shape if he had done that. Maybe he thought another year of development in their system would help alex mature but it clearly didnt happen.
I think what bothered Harbs is the rest of the team is at its peak right now except their qb. But that is just shit luck and one of the big reasons why it is so hard to win a SB.

There are not many great qb's in the league right now. Harbs did not have a lot of great options (once PeyPey told him to go fuck himself) but the timing of this decision was shit.

Wrayfield

I think what bothered Harbs is the rest of the team is at its peak right now except their qb. But that is just shit luck and one of the big reasons why it is so hard to win a SB.

There are not many great qb's in the league right now. Harbs did not have a lot of great options (once PeyPey told him to go fuck himself) but the timing of this decision was shit.

Imagine Peyton would run that offense and had that D...

So far Kaepernick's only above average performance came in a game in which he entered late and the defense was not game planning for him. He struggled against a very, very bad (historically bad) defense in New Orleans and essentially forfeit the game yesterday.

If you like Kaepernick go with him in the off-season is all I am saying. I don't see how throwing him into this situation really benefits anyone.

I'd cut Smith the minute the season ends though.

Oh I have no doubt they will cut Smith in the offseason. I thought Kap made plays against both the Bears and Saints that alex wouldnt have made. Kap gives their offense a totally different dimension then they had before. He extends plays with his legs and looks to go down field way more. You are totally right thought that this move should have been made way earlier. With alex in their they have to have the defense and running game going great to win, that is a lot to ask of a team to do 3 times against playoff teams. Kap gives them a chance to win even if the running game gets stuff.

bionic77

Their offense works on any defense who isn't on top of their game - no different than any other team.
They can't go deep. If you don't give them a short field, press their receivers and get decent (not even amazing) pressure on Brady they will not do shit.

This is something that is going to get exposed in the playoffs.

And I am going to enjoy watching every second of it!

They can't go deep. If you don't give them a short field, press their receivers and get decent (not even amazing) pressure on Brady they will not do shit.

This is something that is going to get exposed in the playoffs.

And I am going to enjoy watching every second of it!

They can run the ball this year.Thats whats needed in the playoffs.

K-19

Banned
If we are just going to say "well, we have to default to authority" then you may as well shut down the internet and all sports talk radio and all editorials and ESPN etc...

Sometimes we should. I am sure it doesn't help the situation, imagine the guy who start his NFL career as QB at the end of the regular season with the playoff run ongoing, he is on a team disturbed by a QB controversy and he gonna get a player cut (cut!). + you got all the mediatic stuff around about, who's the best, playoffs and SB possibility, tattoos polemic and others interesting but useless discussions. We should think about the impact of the opinion on a team and its mental situation.

squicken

In the playoffs, where the defenses are at least not terrible, you need big plays. It's hard to go 80 yards on 10 plays. Short fields and big gains are what win games. That's the problem with the Pats dink and dunk.

Imagine Peyton would run that offense and had that D...

We all knew last year that the QB position was holding that team back. Thomas and Decker were clearly good WRs, and Thomas flashed elitie ability on plays like the one vs Ike Taylor.

Peyton is a fantastic player but he has never played an NFL game w/o great WR talent. Doom and Miller are a young Freeney and Mathis. It's a much better fit for him than SF would have been

I think the bigger problem with the Pats is that Brady's receivers can't beat press coverage and if they're not wide the fuck open Brady can't get them the ball.

eznark

Banned
Sometimes we should. I am sure it doesn't help the situation, imagine the guy who start his NFL career as QB at the end of the regular season with the playoff run ongoing, he is on a team disturbed by a QB controversy and he gonna get a player cut (cut!). + you got all the mediatic stuff around about, who's the best, playoffs and SB possibility, tattoos polemic and others interesting but useless discussions. We should think about the impact of the opinion on a team and its mental situation.

That's Hardon's job.

squicken

I think the bigger problem with the Pats is that Brady's receivers can't beat press coverage and if they're not wide the fuck open Brady can't get them the ball.

If they can get a run game actually going those TEs on play action can be enough. I mean if Gronk is healthy they beat NYG last year. Injuries get lots of teams of course, but that's why we all joke about the playoffs just being a lottery. Get lucky with health and a hot QB

dbFvT.jpg

lulz

Wrayfield

In the playoffs, where the defenses are at least not terrible, you need big plays. It's hard to go 80 yards on 10 plays. Short fields and big gains are what win games. That's the problem with the Pats dink and dunk.

We all knew last year that the QB position was holding that team back. Thomas and Decker were clearly good WRs, and Thomas flashed elitie ability on plays like the one vs Ike Taylor.

Peyton is a fantastic player but he has never played an NFL game w/o great WR talent. Doom and Miller are a young Freeney and Mathis. It's a much better fit for him than SF would have been

I wouldn't call Thomas/Decker great talent. Thomas might have the potential though, I give you that. I am sure Crabtree and Moss* would strive with Peyton at the helm, too. They might not be as good as Thomas (as for Decker, not enough special there, imo). Also, Davis. Also, top D.

*Haven't seen him play this season, but I refuse to think he couldn't do better than catching balls from Smith in SF, stats-wise that is.

eznark

Banned
Patriots new found awesome incredible running game is averaging 0.3 more yards per attempt that the disgustingly awful nonexistent pathetic achilles heel of a run game in Green Bay.

K-19

Banned
Patriots new found awesome incredible running game is averaging 0.3 more yards per attempt that the disgustingly awful nonexistent pathetic achilles heel of a run game in Green Bay.

There was a lot of talk about Starks, what was the point?

bionic77

You only get like 4 yards a carry, which is pretty average.

IF the Pats can run the ball consistently then yes I agree it does change things. I am unconvinced they can do it and I still think this is all smoke and mirrors, the same shit we have been seeing the last 3 years. I don't know why this year is different.

I still think the Pats are made to beast on shit teams. They were incredibly lucky to make it to the SB last year, no way they are that lucky two years in a row.

Wrayfield

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

I was curious and looked it up on imdb. Who writes those horrible synopses?

The Patriots running game impressed me yesterday on that final drive. When they really needed it to close out the game it was there for them, and I don't think that's been the case in previous years. And say what you will about the Dolphins being awful but their run defense is at least well above average.

Average yards per run is very misleading as well (as with any stat). Just look at Reggie Bush. He runs 5 times for 2 yards, 4 yards, -2 yards, 3 yards, and 18 yards. Wow, 5 yards a carry! Not too shabby!

I'd much rather have a guy who does 5, 3, 4, 6, and 7.

squicken

On the Colts winning TD Avery was the 5 option. Lined up in 4WR 1TE and Luck gets all the way to the last guy. Just absurd that a rookie is doing what he does.

I wouldn't call Thomas/Decker great talent. Thomas might have the potential though, I give you that. I am sure Crabtree and Moss* would strive with Peyton at the helm, too. They might not be as good as Thomas (as for Decker, not enough special there, imo). Also, Davis. Also, top D.

*Haven't seen him play this season, but I refuse to think he couldn't do better than catching balls from Smith in SF, stats-wise that is.

Decker is good. Not a #1 but a good #2. Thomas has the talent to an Andre Johnson type of player. A LB playing WR. I don't think SF had the WRs to really suit Peyton. Crabtree is more Decker than Thomas, and Moss has lost a few steps

bionic77

Average yards per run is very misleading as well (as with any stat). Just look at Reggie Bush. He runs 5 times for 2 yards, 4 yards, -2 yards, 3 yards, and 18 yards. Wow, 5 yards a carry! Not too shabby!

I'd much rather have a guy who does 5, 3, 4, 6, and 7.
It is really hilarious to me that the Ravens have a guy like that (except even better) who is their MVP on offense and when they needed to chew up time and get some first downs late in the game they don't use him once and just put the game in Flacco's hands.

BLarry was probably ready to choke a bitch at that point.

Top Bottom