• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 13 |OT| My Favorite Things

squicken

A happy ending or passive aggressiveness

“Most of the time if something is said, whether it came out wrong or maybe it did come out the way they want it to, I have an open door policy at my locker. Come talk to me, and if you don’t, I’m going to come talk to you probably,” Rodgers said. “In that situation though, it was so far after the fact. Whenever the interview was done, I think it was Thursday before Detroit, we talked on [that] Saturday and had a great conversation. . . . In my opinion, there was nothing in that story that was going to come between our relationship. I didn’t really see the correlation between that story and anything that we had talked about on Saturday. So there was, in my opinion, no reason to talk to him about it.”

In Sunday’s loss to the Giants, Finely dropped a pass, and Rodgers went right back his direction, which he said suggests the level of trust he has.

“With Jermichael, I think it’s been about getting on the same page and spending some time together,” Rodgers said. “And I think the thing I appreciate about him over the last three or four weeks is just how he really has been a good teammate. I think he really has. He cares about his guys; he’s been intentional about spending time with me and wanting to make sure we’re on the same page. And I think it’s helped. I really do think it’s helped.

“I think the best is still in front of him for this season and I think there’s going to be even more opportunities as we go. I really like what I’ve seen from him and I think he’s going to be important to us as we make this stretch run.”

The Pats are not a balanced team. They can beat up on retarded teams like the Jets, but if they play a team with a good qb and a defense that can rush the qb and press their receivers they are going to lose 9 out of 10 times. Brady can't beat that kind of defense with his legs (always womenly) or even his arm anymore. And their defense only looks good against the Sanchez's of the world.

If the Steelers are healthy I honestly am not afraid of the Pats at all. Assuming the Texans try to score points I could see them tearing shit up as well. The Ravens could probably only beat then in Baltimore, but somehow they always find a way to keep the Pats in it and give the game away at the end. The Colts, Bungles, and Broncos all are good matchups for the Pats and I can see them beating any of those teams the majority of the time.

As always it depends on the health of your team and the matchups.

Also don't get cocking because your team runs up the scores and likes to style on shitty teams like the Jets. The Sanchez GIF properly explains why that game is not that impressive (remember you should have lost to that same team a month earlier).
All of this sounds hypothetical to me, although I definitely see where you're coming from (and I hope you're right). Brady has proven that he can be successful in the playoffs against good defenses (other than the Giants, anyway) and until we see a scenario that really shows that the Pats have regressed to what you're claiming (losing to a team with a good QB and defense 9 out of 10 times or whatever) I don't think it's necessarily a safe assumption. In other words, show me the evidence!

I would probably be buying into your line of thinking a lot more if not for that Pats/Colts game. Andrew Luck has really impressed me this year and the Pats absolutely embarrassed him in that game. Was it a fluke or only due to him being a confused rookie? Possibly, but again I don't think it's necessarily a safe assumption.

But hey, I'm not really into standing up for the Pats so I hope you're right. They play Houston and San Fran before year's end so we will definitely get an indication before playoff time, at least.

There's definitely a good chance the Pats are getting too hot too early though, I will say that much.

You're talking to a Dolphins fan, a smart one, but still.
lol, I will choose to focus on the "smart" part of this and ignore the rest.

It sure works out for fantasy teams though. heh.

Not sure who is worse at this... Saints, or Pats. Why run down the clock and get everyone home when you can still throw for three more TDs in the 4th Quarter up by 30 points.

Should just exclusively take a knee in the 4th when you have the lead, don't want to hurt the feelings of the opposing teams defensive players by pointing out that they suck at their job of stopping you.

Think of the class.

Was simply pointing out to him that you're not a Pats fan, since he probably thought you was.

jmdajr

Should just exclusively take a knee in the 4th when you have the lead, don't want to hurt the feelings of the opposing teams defensive players by pointing out that they suck at their job of stopping you.

Think of the class.

Was simply pointing out to him that you're not a Pats fan, since he probably thought you was.

Run the Ball and go home. Or heck, give the rookies some playing time.

TheFatOne

All of this sounds hypothetical to me, although I definitely see where you're coming from (and I hope you're right). Brady has proven that he can be successful in the playoffs against good defenses (other than the Giants, anyway) and until we see a scenario that really shows that the Pats have regressed to what you're claiming (losing to a team with a good QB and defense 9 out of 10 times or whatever) I don't think it's necessarily a safe assumption. In other words, show me the evidence!

I would probably be buying into your line of thinking a lot more if not for that Pats/Colts game. Andrew Luck has really impressed me this year and the Pats absolutely embarrassed him in that game. Was it a fluke or only due to him being a confused rookie? Possibly, but again I don't think it's necessarily a safe assumption.

But hey, I'm not really into standing up for the Pats so I hope you're right. They play Houston and San Fran before year's end so we will definitely get an indication before playoff time, at least.

There's definitely a good chance the Pats are getting too hot too early though, I will say that much.

Pats defense was more aggressive in that game,but Luck is still a rookie. I wouldn't put too much stock into the Colts game. Like you said the real test for the Pats defense is the Houston/SF games coming up. If they have truly improved you will see it in those two games. If the Pats defense just becomes average they will be a hard team to beat in the playoffs.
Run the Ball and go home.

I disagree at least with this years Patriots team. The only reason they lost 3 games this season is that they couldn't close games, and they made the Broncos game much closer then it should have been because the offense got complacent. The defense is terrible, and they can't afford to relax on offense.

Run the Ball and go home. Or heck, give the rookies some playing time.

They ran like 5 straight times against the Colts on that last drive (with the back up RB), what the hell do you want them to do then? Give less effort so you can punt it to them again? This is the NFL, not some fucking peewee football league.

Considering how many teams choke away leads at the end of games people are giving the Pats too much shit. Like it or not that's one team you rarely hear about pissing away a game because of getting conservative.

Also, their defense is garbage.

Think of the class.
Even though my team has been on the receiving end of some of these beat-downs I totally agree with you. This is a professional sport, if "running up the score" is an issue in a game then the problem is the team getting destroyed, not the one doing their job exceptionally well.

Gross that someone might think that, haha.

I obviously hate the Pats but I respect them since I'm used to seeing Brady destroy the Dolphins.

Their front seven is serviceable enough, at least. Like TheFatOne said though, if the Pats defense manages to play even decently in the playoffs they will be tough to beat.

TheFatOne

Considering how many teams choke away leads at the end of games people are giving the Pats too much shit. Like it or not that's one team you rarely hear about pissing away a game because of getting conservative.

Exactly my point. Patriots lost 3 games because of the offense this season. Could not close out games early in the season, and they let Manning start a comeback earlier this season. That shit can't happen in the playoffs or it's going to be an early exit.

VIKEBIKE!

561658_437878392941270_162088070_n.jpg

SKOL!!!!
(stop fucking throwing to Jerome 'Flips' Simpson!)

Right, what I meant by that was that they can't just get a lead and sit on their defense.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

Also regarding the "running up the score" talk, how many coaches in the NFL would kill to see their team score 45 points just once in a game? I'm sure Philbin wouldn't mind! If you can do it every game then why not?

squicken

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
David Akers' FGs. Inside 40: 31-32 last yr, 12-13 this yr. 40-49 yards: 6-11 last yr, 6-10 this yr. 50+ yards: 7-9 last yr, 1-4 this yr.

Ignored the way he was trending

squicken

Everybody defending Alex Smith should pay attention to this.

But Alex was the QB for most of this year. They have been finishing drives better even with him as QB. I mean he still takes awful sacks, and he could have never made the runs or some of the throws Kap did, but he also wouldn't have thrown those INTs.

Going with Kap is probably best long term, but there will be more turnovers with him. Alex was turnover adverse to a fault

The Pats are not a balanced team. They can beat up on retarded teams like the Jets, but if they play a team with a good qb and a defense that can rush the qb and press their receivers they are going to lose 9 out of 10 times. Brady can't beat that kind of defense with his legs (always womenly) or even his arm anymore. And their defense only looks good against the Sanchez's of the world.

If the Steelers are healthy I honestly am not afraid of the Pats at all. Assuming the Texans try to score points I could see them tearing shit up as well. The Ravens could probably only beat then in Baltimore, but somehow they always find a way to keep the Pats in it and give the game away at the end. The Colts, Bungles, and Broncos all are good matchups for the Pats and I can see them beating any of those teams the majority of the time.

As always it depends on the health of your team and the matchups.

Also don't get cocking because your team runs up the scores and likes to style on shitty teams like the Jets. The Sanchez GIF properly explains why that game is not that impressive (remember you should have lost to that same team a month earlier).

The Pats have the best offense in the league so they are plenty balanced.They also put 30 on the Ravens,which I dont think the Steelers have ever done.

But Alex was the QB for most of this year. They have been finishing drives better even with him as QB. I mean he still takes awful sacks, and he could have never made the runs or some of the throws Kap did, but he also wouldn't have thrown those INTs.

Going with Kap is probably best long term, but there will be more turnovers with him. Alex was turnover adverse to a fault

I mean with those people who point to last year as something of a breakout season for him. *cough cough*

bionic77

The Pats have the best offense in the league so they are plenty balanced.They also put 30 on the Ravens,which I dont think the Steelers have ever done.
We actually dropped 35 on them in one half before.

And Batch is going to do it a 2nd time this Sunday!*

* I did not specify which team he would score 35 points for

squicken

We actually dropped 35 on them in one half before.

And Batch is going to do it a 2nd time this Sunday!*

* I did not specify which team he would score 35 points for

So 4 straight losses to Flacco. It this the Rooney's scheming to get the Ravens to extend Flacco for 15m/yr?

bionic77

So 4 straight losses to Flacco. It this the Rooney's scheming to get the Ravens to extend Flacco for 15m/yr?
We are all Flacco fans. I will take 4 straight losses or even 5 if it means a 5 year long term deal for Flacs.

And I think 2 of those losses came without Ben. The sweep last year was actually impressive (though I think the 2nd win was against gimp Ben), but Ben was on top and in charge for many years before that. He always beats them when it matters most.

MechDX

Great write up on Duane Brown from PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/28/analysis-notebook-week-12-2/

The Texans drafted Duane Brown with the 26th overall selection in 2008 in what was described as a reach by many at the time. Though Brown struggled early in his career, coughing up 11 sacks as a rookie, his PFF grade and ranking has improved every season since, and over the past 29 games he has surrendered just a single sack. The Texans were banking on his talent and potential, and right now they are being proved right with every game.

One sack allowed in 29 straight games as a left tackle is phenominal.

Wouldn't have thrown what ints?

The int he threw against the Saints wasnt his fault at all. It was a terrible snap and he threw it up with a dude right in his face. He could have taken the sack but I wouldnt say there will be a lot more turnovers with Kap yet. The whole is silly though, Kap makes plays that small hands couldnt even make in Madden. Going with Alex is waving the white flag.

We are all Flacco fans. I will take 4 straight losses or even 5 if it means a 5 year long term deal for Flacs.

And I think 2 of those losses came without Ben. The sweep last year was actually impressive (though I think the 2nd win was against gimp Ben), but Ben was on top and in charge for many years before that. He always beats them when it matters most.

The tide is turning in Baltimore. People are coming to my side of the Flacco argument. It's been two solid years of Flacco shitting every road game; they can't deny it anymore. Flacco has one chance to get the city back, and that is to take us farther than he has before.

jmdajr

The tide is turning in Baltimore. People are coming to my side of the Flacco argument. It's been two solid years of Flacco shitting every road game; they can't deny it anymore. Flacco has one chance to get the city back, and that is to take us farther than he has before.

Isn't his contract up soon? Think they'll resign if one and done in playoffs?

Any QB that can lead his team to the AFC Championship is a QB worth keeping, if you ask me. That's why the Jets need to sign Sanchez to a 15 year deal.

If the Jets lose this sunday they need to pull a bobcats and tank.

At this point, I have to hope we lose out for that pick. Sadly, the Jets are one of a few teams we can still beat and could jeopardize the pick. Tebow better make the stadium sing his praises! Our Center just went out for the season so good chance we'll lose. Guy played through every snap against the Rams through the injury so I didn't even know he was hurt until the next day.

bionic77

What other option do they have?

Even though Flacco has played like shit the Ravens are 9-2. You need to have something better to go to if you ditch him.

They are going to sign him to a lot of money and BLarry is going to be mad about it.

If he does that, absolutely not. We haven't been one and done in the playoffs since 2007, and never with Flacco, so it would be be a big disappointment (although not a surprise), especially with our inflated record.

What other option do they have?

Even though Flacco has played like shit the Ravens are 9-2. You need to have something better to go to if you ditch him.

They are going to sign him to a lot of money and BLarry is going to be mad about it.

God I hope your wrong. But I agree with part of your argument; we have no proven other option, and our team success despite Flacco. The problem is the money. Flacco loves Flacco. He is president of the Flacco fan club and his inflated self value and ego will have him demanding more than he's worth. Newsome is smart and the Ravens don't have huge amounts of cap space. We'll probably make a play at him, but not for what he thinks he's worth. Some desperate team can offer what Flacco thinks he's worth.

Really, anyone can throw 1 yard dump offs to Ray Rice. We'll be fine.

God I hope your wrong. But I agree with part of your argument; we have no proven other option, and our team success despite Flacco. The problem is the money. Flacco loves Flacco. He is president of the Flacco fan club and his inflated self value and ego will have him demanding more than he's worth. Newsome is smart and the Ravens don't have huge amounts of cap space. We'll probably make a play at him, but not for what he thinks he's worth. Some desperate team can offer what Flacco thinks he's worth.

Really, anyone can throw 1 yard dump offs to Ray Rice. We'll be fine.
Tyrod future baby! He was fun to watch at VT but I honestly never though he looked like an NFL QB.

It is odd we havent heard anything about the Ravens making a new offer to Flacco after he turned down the earlier offer. I think they are probably waiting and hoping that the FA market for him wont be close to what he is asking for and they can get him to sign for less.

Smokey

The Texans/Pats game is going to be great. Texans offense in the past few weeks has stepped up. AJ has woken from his slumber, and Foster will get his 100+ yards. 3rd in total offense and NE is 1. The Texans' defense is still good though. They've slipped up these past few weeks, but I really think that Chicago game took quite a bit out of them and the result was that Jags game. That went into OT and then of course the OT Detroit game. Them getting through that stretch and having 10 days to rest was crucial. Even if the defense has dipped it's still far and away better than the garbage up in NE. Texans are also the best road team in the league.

These are the reasons why you all will see Gator sporting a Jags avy the evening of Dec 10th.

The Texans/Pats game is going to be great. Texans offense in the past few weeks has stepped up. AJ has woken from his slumber, and Foster will get his 100+ yards. 3rd in total offense and NE is 1. The Texans' defense is still good though. They've slipped up these past few weeks, but I really think that Chicago game took quite a bit out of them and the result was that Jags game. That went into OT and then of course the OT Detroit game. Them getting through that stretch and having 10 days to rest was crucial. Even if the defense has dipped it's still far and away better than the garbage up in NE. Texans are also the best road team in the league.

These are the reasons why you all will see Gator sporting a Jags avy the evening of Dec 10th.

If I saw him with a Jags avatar I would have thought that he finally decided to stop living a lie and embrace his true self.

bionic77

True fact:2003 is the age of the Steelers defense and Batch combined.
The defense has actually played well in the last month or so. Granted they are banged up as fuck and it is all held together by shitty generic tape we bought at Ollie's but still!

The problem we have is the offense doesn't work without Ben. We don't have a system where we can just plug in any Matt Cassell or Tom Brady and have it work!

Top Bottom