• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 14 |OT| Christmas Time is Here

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Well, College Football/Basketball coach at a historically successful school is pretty much the perfect job in terms of perks. You're not going to be paying for your home in many cases. You're never paying for a vehicle. You may not pay for a meal depending on the program. Chances are, you're getting free vacations.

I'm pretty sure Saban could bend the Alabama governor's ear pretty easily as well.

I mean, which would you guys rather be:

"King of Alabama" or "Coach of the Cleveland Browns"?

Saban's annual salary is $5.97m and Whiz's annual salary is $5.75m. Saban just signed his extension and it is backloaded so he makes less this year though.

Yeah, I was at that one.

I think if they played that game now Cleveland wins easily. Weeden obviously had stagefright.

I wouldnt be so sure. The defense played their best game yesterday now that they are freed from the shackles of the wide 9, and Foles is much better at reading blitzes then Vick ever was.

storybook77 said:
Messing with the playoff machine. NFC East might get very interesting.

If the Cowboys and Skins win their next two and the Giants lose one of the next two, the Skins-Cowboys game will be for the division with the winner playing the Giants most likely.

If the Giants somehow mess around and lose 2 out of their next 3 and the rest of the above scenario (or one of those two wins out) happens, they'd be out of the playoffs. That's just crazy to even think about but not entirely impossible.

Still wouldn't be as crazy as the Jets somehow finding their way into the playoffs. :jnc
We have to win 10 games to get in.

The worst we can do is 2-1 if we want to get into the tourney. Period.

Nope I still want him gone. I'm basically looking at it as a combo deal. If Shurmur stays Heckert will be staying and vice versa. These last 3 games will decide Shurmur's fate I feel.

If they battle hard in all 3 and he doesn't Shurmur it up with bonehead moves he'll have a good chance to stay.

I'll give him respect when he deserves it though, the last few games he hasn't Shurmur'd it up much if at all. Yesterday was probably the best game I've seen him coach. They were flawless other then the first two drives for KC.
Yeah I still kinda want him gone, and idk but I think think Heckert will be tied to Pat. If anything it'll be a interesting offseason for the Browns, with lots of news. I wonder how they'll update the unis if they really end up doing it.

I'm pretty sure Saban could bend the Alabama governor's ear pretty easily as well.

I mean, which would you guys rather be:

"King of Alabama" or "Coach of the Cleveland Browns"?

I've always thought if it's just an ego thing for Saban, what better place to build a dynasty and a legacy than Alabama, where we still worship Bear Bryant.

Why is Whisenhunt not in the same conversation as Rivera, Reid, and Turner?

Arizona Cardinals strong safety Adrian Wilson has spent his entire 12-year career in the desert, but after Sunday's 58-0 dismantling at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks, the veteran sees the writing on the wall.

"This is the lowest of the low, to be quite honest with you," Wilson said, according to the Arizona Republic. "Something like this will make you not want to play anymore."

"[It] definitely makes me ponder about my future," he said. "I love the guys that I play with and I love this organization. It's tough to take right now."

After a 4-0 start to the season, the Cardinals have dropped nine straight games -- culminating in Sunday's embarrassing loss -- and will look toward next season by evaluating younger players. Whatever his future brings, Wilson will look to help the only NFL franchise he's known try to shake the stink of the last nine games.

"I think guys still look up to me and look up to the way that I work," he said. "I'm not a hard guy to read. I wear my emotions on my sleeves, and I try my best to just go out and practice hard.

"We have three more games left, and I'm going to try my best, to play those three games hard and see what happens after that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...son-of-arizona-cardinals-talks-about-quitting

Poor Larry, having no one to throw to him has dried up all of his talent. Now he's washed up.

squicken

The thing that kills me about the Browns is that they should easily be at least 7-6 right now. They gave away the Dallas game and were a dropped pass away from beating Indy too. There were also tons of dropped passes in their Thursday night game against Bodymore.

Ah well.

young teams give away games. just part of getting better. sucks when it's the coach doing the giving but the future can be bright. BAL is in decline imo. They really haven't reloaded like PIT has, and have been pretty damn lucky this year

Saban could easily become emperor of Cleveland if he comes in and starts winning right Way, Trent would be second in the line for the Kingdom. Let's not forget that we have a previous King that ruled everything, until he Decided to forsake us

Whisenhunt totally is on the "will be fired" list.

Yeah I assume no one is talking about it since it is such a foregone conclusion. Unlike a guy like Ried though Whiz will have to go back to being an OC and build his name up again. He has been a complete failure as a HC once Kurt retired.

Yeah I assume no one is talking about it since it is such a foregone conclusion. Unlike a guy like Ried though Whiz will have to go back to being an OC and build his name up again. He has been a complete failure as a HC once Kurt retired.
Hmmm I disagree, I think Whiz will get another coaching job right away. He'll probably be one of the hot options if he gets fired.

Hmmm cleveland maybe

Talon

I don't know how much input he has in the FO, but the personnel decisions on offense have sunk that team. Levi Brown that high, and he's been nothing but average/perpetually injured.. Deuce Lutui slithered his fat ass out of there.

It's nice that you pick guys like Early Doucet, Leonard Pope, Steve Breaston, Beanie Wells - skill position players when you have complete ass blocking for you.

Hmmm I disagree, I think Whiz will get another coaching job right away. He'll probably be one of the hot options if he gets fired.

Hmmm cleveland maybe

I dont see how a guy like Whiz would excite a fanbase. Hey we hired a guy that got to a SB when he took over a team with a HoF QB, and the second that QB left they hit rock bottom and he hasnt done anything to make them better. Especially damning for him is he is supposed to be an offensive genius and their offense has been horrible for years. If the Eagles hired him I would be leading the riot.

I dont see how a guy like Whiz would excite a fanbase. Hey we hired a guy that got to a SB when he took over a team with a HoF QB, and the second that QB left they hit rock bottom and he hasnt done anything to make them better. Especially damning for him is he is supposed to be an offensive genius and their offense has been horrible for years. If the Eagles hired him I would be leading the riot.
A lot of good offensive and defensive coordinators suck as head coaches, though (plus you have to factor in the front-office).

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Hmmm cleveland maybe

I honestly thing this scenario is more believable than Saban.

I might be overestimating Saban's capability for rational thought though. He pretty much has college football either locked up or close to it for probably another 3 or 4 years. It's also really hard to imagine a world where the Cleveland Browns are good.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah I still kinda want him gone, and idk but I think think Heckert will be tied to Pat. If anything it'll be a interesting offseason for the Browns, with lots of news. I wonder how they'll update the unis if they really end up doing it.

For sure. All signs point to Haslam and Banner making a quick decision on this at least so it won't be sitting around with us wondering.

I don't know if you've been keeping up with the Heckert situation but it seems his issue may come down more to what control he has over the team. If he gets a contract with Haslam and Banner somewhat the same as what he signed with Holmgren it's a good chance he'll stay but if Banner gets final say on the roster he may bolt.

squicken

Anybody have a gif of Ponder under throwing Wright by 10 yards at the end of the first half yesterday?

ponndda1qxp.gif

So I just saw this on the bleeding green site, it is rookie QBs stats when facing a blitz:

Player

Attempts

Completions

Acc. %**

Yards/Att

TDs

INTs

QB rating under pressure

Nick Foles

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Ryan Tannehill

Brandon Weeden

Russell Wilson

It is absolutely nuts how good RGIII is in that situation, and how poor Weeden has done.

KingGondo

Banned
Shurmur has to go.

While they're somewhat unlucky to be 5-8, they also only beat San Diego 7- 6 at home and needed 8 turnovers to barely beat the Steelers at home as well.

He's a supposed offensive guru, right? Get someone who will allow Weeden to play from the shotgun more and utilize his strengths.

And draft some playmakers on offense. Tavon Austin is my dream RB/WR combo. Guy is the next Sproles.

I don't actually believe the Saban talk just saying he could be the new king of a new Land :lol.
But I do have a short list of a couple coaches: Shaw, Kelly, Wiz, Ried?, Mcdaniels, Saban?

MechDX

Watt already fined for potential hit on Brady!

http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/1...fined-for-illegal-hit-on-tom-brady-before-mnf

The Monday night tilt between the Houston Texans and New England Patriots has yet to even kick off, and already Roger Goodell is hitting players in the wallet. Before a single snap has been played, Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has been fined an eye-watering $150,000 in anticipation of an illegal hit against Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

"We at the NFL take player safety incredibly seriously," said Commissioner Roger Goodell in a statement about Watt's illegal future hit, "and we don't even want to risk the possibility of lasting harm to our players."

The fine is the result of a recent change to an obscure rule which allows for punishment of players for illegal acts they might commit. One local blog has taken to calling this new obscure rule the "Pollard Rule" after the most infamous player to cause serious injury to one of the biggest stars in the league: Bernard Pollard. Punishments range from fines for simply lining up against what the league terms an "at-risk" player, such as Brady, to heavier fines for possible illegal hits all the way up to four game suspensions for each individual sack registered against these "at risk" players.

jnc

squicken

Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog
Wow RT: @ESPNStatsInfo: Over the last 7 gms Adrian Peterson has more rush yds (1,101) than Ponder has pass yds (962) #Vikings

So I just saw this on the bleeding green site, it is rookie QBs stats when facing a blitz:

It is absolutely nuts how good RGIII is in that situation, and how poor Weeden has done.
Tannehill's numbers are better than I expected. He really needs to cut down on the INT's, though. It would help if he had a WR who could get open in a 1 on 1 situation once in awhile.

I need to stop making excuses for Tannehill. Obviously I just really want him to work out but he has missed a decent number of throws that you have to make.

squicken said:
Sad day for Steelers fans, Dan Patrick says changes coming to Ravens staff and likely guy is Cameron
My wife was giddy when I told her that this morning. She fucking hates Flacco but hates Cameron even more.

I don't actually believe the Saban talk just saying he could be the new king of a new Land :lol.
But I do have a short list of a couple coaches: Shaw, Kelly, Wiz, Ried?, Mcdaniels, Saban?

I would actually give McD another chance but not let him anywhere near personal decisions. No way would Ried work with Banner again. Those guys dont get along at all.

Sad day for Steelers fans, Dan Patrick says changes coming to Ravens staff and likely guy is Cameron

This shit should have happened way sooner, but definitely after the Steelers game.

Wes

venison crêpe
Saban could easily become emperor of Cleveland if he comes in and starts winning right Way, Trent would be second in the line for the Kingdom. Let's not forget that we have a previous King that ruled everything, until he Decided to forsake us

Saban would require us switching to 3-4. I don't want that to happen. We're stacked player wise for a front 4.

Shurmur has to go.

While they're somewhat unlucky to be 5-8, they also only beat San Diego 7- 6 at home and needed 8 turnovers to barely beat the Steelers at home as well.

He's a supposed offensive guru, right? Get someone who will allow Weeden to play from the shotgun more and utilize his strengths.

And draft some playmakers on offense. Tavon Austin is my dream RB/WR combo. Guy is the next Sproles.
He was suppose to be a guru with young Qb I believe. Id like to see us finally draft a good TE in the early rounds. I've wanted Fleener and Rudolph in the past years. I'm on the Manti Train right now, but I'd like to trade down and pick up a second or somthing

I finally think people back at home are realizing that the Ravens nine wins were done with smoke and mirrors, and PI calls. Odds are, we're making the playoffs, but what good is that going to do? Can people really call this a successful season? Do they think this is something to build on? We lose out, go 9-7 and make the playoffs, that should be a failure. There is no way we can hold up our defense after yesterday. Cam Cameron is incapable of performing his task. I seriously think Ray Rice must have wronged him in some way, because the way he goes away from the best player in key times, makes no sense. My thoughts on Flacco are well documented. Sane Harbaugh doesn't need to go yet, but I may have seen enough of Dean Pees as well. We don't make defensive adjustments, and this "bend don't break" comment about our D is stupid. How about you don't break on their side of the field, instead of the red zone. We're bad, and it's now becoming obvious to everyone.

squicken said:
Pocket pressure from the left killed that initially. Ponder has pretty decent presence there to move and avoid a possible sack but he never resets and throws off his back foot. Never gets his hips into the throw and practically jumps when he does throw it. Happy feet equals unhappy results...

I don't watch many Vikings games but I would imagine this is a consistent issue with Ponder?

MechDX

I finally think people back at home are realizing that the Ravens nine wins were done with smoke and mirrors, and PI calls. Odds are, we're making the playoffs, but what good is that going to do? Can people really call this a successful season? Do they think this is something to build on? We lose out, go 9-7 and make the playoffs, that should be a failure. There is no way we can hold up our defense after yesterday. Cam Cameron is incapable of performing his task. I seriously think Ray Rice must have wronged him in some way, because the way he goes away from the best player in key times, makes no sense. My thoughts on Flacco are well documented. Sane Harbaugh doesn't need to go yet, but I may have seen enough of Dean Pees as well. We don't make defensive adjustments, and this "bend don't break" comment about our D is stupid. How about you don't break on their side of the field, instead of the red zone. We're bad, and it's now becoming obvious to everyone.

Put on your Battle Red shirt Larry and join the Patriots hate parade!!

Top Bottom