• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 14 |OT| Christmas Time is Here

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nevermind, there's a Dallas game at 4:25...I'd miss it even if they did flex it. I'm sure we'll get Giants at Atlanta also.

They really messed up the scheduling this week. What was MNF thinking by picking Tennessee and Jets?

Talon

Nevermind, there's a Dallas game at 4:25...I'd miss it even if they did flex it. I'm sure we'll get Giants at Atlanta also.

They really messed up the scheduling this week. What was MNF thinking by picking Tennessee and Jets?
What they wanted:
Locker and Tebow | Two inaccurate, buff white dudes, bumbling for first downs!

What they got:
Sanchez and Hasslebald | Two scrawny, shrimpy white dudes, bumbling for incompletions!

squicken

Why can't they flex Monday night games too?

Logistics are impossible. Giant blocks of hotel rooms. Police and other services needed to coordinate a game. Not to mention all the scheduling involved with a stadium and the people that run them

eznark

Banned
Logistics are impossible. Giant blocks of hotel rooms. Police and other services needed to coordinate a game. Not to mention all the scheduling involved with a stadium and the people that run them

Also the issue of forcing some teams to play on short rest significantly more often than others resulting in competitive imbalances. And playoff implications of short weeks v. Saturday games etc.

People are questioning why make the Cam firing this late in the season. Harbaugh has been loyal to Cam and given him authority over the offense, stood by Rice getting unused, but makes the change now. My theory; not his choice, it came from above.

According to ESPN, if RGIII doesn't have a significant sprain he's going to force himself onto the field, pain or not. Not so sure that is a good thing. Shanahan better call some more traditional plays next game to keep his QB healthy for the last three games, if they want any shot at the playoffs.

Washington fans better hope Green Bay beats the living crap out of Chicago next week. Just like Broncos and Raven fans are Texan fans tonight.

Footballoutsiders has an article up on coverage sacks or play call sacks. Specific to a reader asking questions about the Packers issues with the line and Rodgers being sacked so often. Also a mention on the Niners struggles in that department as well. (this is from last week by the way so it doesn't take this weekends games into account)

You can give it a read here:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2012/under-pressure-play-call-sacks

On 2.9 percent of Packers pass plays, Aaron Rodgers has been put down by a sack that can not be directly attributed to a missed block by a Green Bay lineman, back, or tight end. Rodgers is a quarterback who likes to hold the ball, looking for a big play when coverages start to break down. It’s hard to argue with the results -- he’s one of the best big play quarterbacks in the league -- but it does also mean that he takes more than his share of coverage sacks. In my charting project, a sack is blamed on the coverage when a quarterback has plenty of time to throw, but holds the ball beyond the length of time that his blockers can reasonably be expected to protect him.

Unfortunately, there has to be some subjectivity in deciding whether a sack is a coverage sack or not, but there are some general rules. No coverage sack this year has taken place in less than 3.1 seconds, and the vast majority (214 of the 219 coverage sacks) have taken 3.3 seconds or longer. The median time of a coverage sack is 4.1 seconds, so we’re talking about sacks where the quarterback had time to check his primary receiver, look at his secondary, eye the back looking for an outlet pass, and then see the rush bearing down on him.

Rodgers has plenty of these coverage sacks. 10, to be exact, for 2.2 percent of all of his pass plays. All of those 10 sacks came on plays where Rodgers held the ball for 3.5 seconds or longer.

Rodgers isn’t the king of the coverage sack though: The 49ers take that crown. Alex Smith had 10 coverage sacks in 251 pass plays (4.0 percent), while new 49ers starter Colin Kaepernick has picked up five coverage sacks in only 115 pass plays (4.3 percent). The 49ers also had four sacks that could be blamed on the quarterback or the play call. One involved Smith falling down with no one around him. Another was a flea flicker that took way too long to develop, giving the Lions time to nab Smith before he was ready throw a full 3.5 seconds after the snap. There was a pass where Smith decided to run before he was really pressured, and it wasn’t a great idea as he got run down from behind. The fourth quarterback/play call sack was a halfback pass where the halfback decided not to pass.

The 49ers wind up with coverage sacks on 4.4 percent of pass plays, worst in the league. San Francisco has had coverage or quarterback/play call sacks on 5.6 percent of dropbacks, also the worst percentage in the league.

On the other end of the spectrum, Peyton Manning is back to being Peyton Manning. Manning has only two coverage sacks all season (0.4 percent of pass plays), best in the league. He also has two quarterback/play call sacks, both on plays where unblocked pass rushers off the edge reached Manning in 2.2 seconds or less.

MechDX

My gawd! We lose tonight, then choke against the Colts at home and then Week 17 is a must win, in Indy on the same day Pagano returns to the sidelines!!

starts hyperventilating...

According to ESPN, if RGIII doesn't have a significant sprain he's going to force himself onto the field, pain or not. Not so sure that is a good thing. Shanahan better call some more traditional plays next game to keep his QB healthy for the last three games, if they want any shot at the playoffs.

Washington fans better hope Green Bay beats the living crap out of Chicago next week. Just like Broncos and Raven fans are Texan fans tonight.

not being able to rely on his speed and running might be a good learning tool for Griff, however if there is any risk of him hurting himself further they better keep his ass out.

We're just betting on the Giants losing one of a few tough games coming up. Under that scenario we control our own destiny and can get in as a division winner.

And there's no way Griffin plays if he isn't at least 80%. There's just no reason to against a club like the Browns--even if they are streaking.

I do think we might have a better shot with Rex though. Even with the way Kirk showed up I'm not too comfortable with him for an entire game. I think Rex is good enough to win a game like this.

eznark

Banned
No one is going to win an MVP based off of a 9 win season in a shit ass division.

Footballoutsiders has an article up on coverage sacks or play call sacks. Specific to a reader asking questions about the Packers issues with the line and Rodgers being sacked so often. Also a mention on the Niners struggle in that department as well.

You can give it a read here:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2012/under-pressure-play-call-sacks

Sounds right. So about 30% of his sacks are considered coverage? I had guessed closer to 40% two weeks ago and since some coverage sacks are also the result of quick combo routes covered I don't totally agree with his methodology but it gets the point across.

I'd like to see that list plotted against a list of interceptions thrown after say, 3 seconds in the pocket.

Do you just surf around the internet thinking that every time someone posts something, they are trying to pass it off as revelatory? As such, does it then become your job, nay, DUTY, to point out that they are not?

I don't mean to ruin this amazing self sacrifice of yours, but I do have some news for you. People aren't that narcissistic that they think everything they post is an original idea. I hope this doesn't bother you too much.

I can't wait to repost these when cheatin pete gets his and his teams ass handed to him.

jmdajr

My gawd! We lose tonight, then choke against the Colts at home and then Week 17 is a must win, in Indy on the same day Pagano returns to the sidelines!!

starts hyperventilating...

I've been thinking about this even before the damn Titans game.

Whatever happens tonight we better win next Sunday. My heart can't take this shit if it drags out until then.

Dick thing to say but nothing short of Kubiak/Wade being diagnosed with some life threatening disease will help us overcome that drama of win one for the ol' gipper mush.

Vick came in 2nd in 2010 with a 10 win team in a shit division. He might have won if not for the dog fighting stuff and RGIII is a million times more likable then Vick.

Any chance JJ Watt wins MVP or is his position too subtle for voters to care about or not valuable enough to actually deserve it? He's been awesome this year for the best team in the league.

People are questioning why make the Cam firing this late in the season. Harbaugh has been loyal to Cam and given him authority over the offense, stood by Rice getting unused, but makes the change now. My theory; not his choice, it came from above.

Possible and they needed a change in their play calling, but it's still an odd thing to do at this time. But hey, in today's NFL, just throw some shit at the wall and see what sticks. Anything can happen.

MechDX

Well, that's enough GAF for me for a while.

jimmicane.jpg

Gatorbait.

Top Bottom