• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 14 |OT| Christmas Time is Here

verbum

I thought Sanchez was the starter this week?

That's what I just read.It looks like it is a "financial" decision? It doesn't make any sense football-wise.

For the Jets, the decision to keep Sanchez as the starter has far more to do with finances than performance. The team gave Sanchez, the fifth-overall selection in the 2009 NFL draft, a five-year, $58.5 million contract extension in March of this year that guarantees him $8.25 million in 2013 whether he plays or not. This season, he's completed just 55 percent of his passes, and thrown 13 interceptions to 12 touchdowns.
The Jets would like to have a better option, and it might be McElroy -- which says more about the team's overall quarterback situation than it does about McElroy's specific talents. However, it's worth mentioning that after he replaced Sanchez in the third quarter against Arizona, the 2011 seventh-round pick from Alabama completed 5 of 7 passes and threw for a touchdown. These days, that passes for high production in the Jets' quarterback pool.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/rex-ryan-names-mark-sanchez-starter-vs-jacksonville-144248054--nfl.html

Idk how people are Jets fans. Financial decision? New York is starting some1 they think isn't the best because of money? The team that brought Tebow in just to sell jerseys has to start Sanchez another game because of money?

How are you guys not all Giants fans by now?

Godslay

Banned
The Texans are 2nd in the league in points scored, just behind the Pats (by 6 points per game--inflated by their 40+ games, which they had well in hand... Bellicheat is about the only coach in the league that likes to run up the score). I think we can hang with them scoring wise if needed. I worry about our injuries in the secondary though.

Top three scoring teams are all bloated with points over weak teams. The real question is who can slow down who, enough to pull a win out. Going off the last few weeks and injuries Houston is going to struggle against high powered offenses.

I think if the Pats are fully healthy Gronk + Hernandez, and Ridley can run like he has, anyone who has to face them is going to have a tough time. That includes Denver, Houston, Baltimore, etc.

Top three scoring teams are all bloated with points over weak teams. The real question is who can slow down who, enough to pull a win out. Going off the last few weeks and injuries Houston is going to struggle against high powered offenses.

I think if the Pats are fully healthy Gronk + Hernandez, and Ridley can run like he has, anyone who has to face them is going to have a tough time. That includes Denver, Houston, Baltimore, etc.

The texans stopped the powerhouse that is the bears offense.

Bowser

The fact that this is being reported 10 months after the fact makes me suspicious. What's the point?

Ray_Lewis_Cam_Newton_Moon_Event.jpg
4367d30ca318724

Yeah that looks like a guy that's going to diss Ray Lewis

eznark

Banned
Looks like a guy who should hire an adult to dress them.

Schaub is more likely to throw an idiotic interception. Patriots are going to win.

Idk how people are Jets fans. Financial decision? New York is starting some1 they think isn't the best because of money? The team that brought Tebow in just to sell jerseys has to start Sanchez another game because of money?

Yeah it is nuts that a big market team like the Jets are worried over $8m. I could see it from a team struggling to survive, but they just got a new stadium and are making tons of money. I think the money must be an excuse and that Rex is just to stubborn to admit he made a mistake.

eznark

Banned
Tom Pelissaro seems to be implying Harvin is a healthy scratch. That he is actually faking.

That's what I get for sticking up for someone! Never again!!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Team loyalty is a thing. I realize this may be hard for you to understand as a Florida sports fan.

Thats pretty much the only reason I got. The Jets are a fucking clown organization at this point.

effzee

Tom Pelissaro seems to be implying Harvin is a healthy scratch. That he is actually faking.

That's what I get for sticking up for someone! Never again!!

Weren't there similar rumors in years past? And then he demanded a trade this offseason. Wouldn't put it past him. Always seemed like a headcase.

Weren't there similar rumors in years past? And then he demanded a trade this offseason. Wouldn't put it past him. Always seemed like a headcase.

Yeah there was a rumor about him and Chilly almost coming to blows. Vikings should have traded him in the offseason when they had the chance.

JABEE

Does he still play?
I don't think so.

When he played he had to support his entire crew. He bought an entire wardrobe with jewelry and expensive clothes in every town they traveled to. He would just leave the 10s of thousands of dollars of clothes in the hotel room to be discarded by the hotel.

Todd Heap was still in the league?
If you count two games per season being in the league, then yes.
I'd laugh if the Ravens fired Harbaugh and signed Andy Reid.
Then we scoop up Harb and the brothers have an eternal dual within the division! If a Harb can save a shitty organization like the niners, one can for us too!
Still gotta get around to playing Xenogears. Pretty much the only RPG from Squares golden age that I missed out on.
Yes, yes you do.
Great point Ez, I hadnt even considered that but now it makes perfect sense.
Just like we are playing Lindley because "It's our best chance to win". You aren't fooling anyone, Whiz!

verbum

Team loyalty is a thing. I realize this may be hard for you to understand as a Florida sports fan.

Thats pretty much the only reason I got. The Jets are a fucking clown organization at this point.

This is what I don't understand, they have two quarterbacks that cost a bit of money.
You probably have a quarterbacks coach who thinks things are OK. So why do the Jets still have that quarterback coach on the payroll? Why haven't they looked for someone to coach up Sanchez and Tebow some more? Why not protect your investments?
A coach costs maybe 1-2 million/year. Sanchez will cost them 8.25 million next year even if he doesn't play.

I don't think so.

When he played he had to support his entire crew. He bought an entire wardrobe with jewelry and expensive clothes in every town they traveled to. He would just leave the 10s of thousands of dollars of clothes in the hotel room to be discarded by the hotel.

Doug Collins had an AI story the other day on the radio about how one year AI showed up to a game in a convertible Bentley with the top down in the dead of winter. Doug said he told he that he needed something more practical for winter in Philly so the next day AI showed up with a new Bentley that wasnt convertible. It is almost sad to think how much money he blew, but he did bring it on him self.

Bowser

Darin Gantt the voice of reason

Newton’s a big boy, and doesn’t need defending. But as the first pick in the 2011 draft, it’s been open season on the kid since he walked through the doors at the combine. And the fact he’s playing for a team in a tailspin only makes him an easier target.

He carries himself differently than some players, and he’s made some questionable decisions (“entertainer and icon,” unveiling a clothing line after a bad loss, etc.). But according to multiple co-workers with the Panthers, players and front office alike, he’s made a conscious effort to present a different image this season, even as coaches try to press him into a leadership role that he may not be ready for.

He’s also played more efficiently of late, not that you’d notice. He’s accounted for eight touchdowns with no turnovers the last three games, and 12 touchdowns and two turnovers the last five. So while there’s a perceived sophomore slump, he’s actually playing better lately, as the team sags around him.

The Panthers are in the middle of an avalanche that’s going to result in many changes in that organization, from top to bottom.

But guys taking shots at him for his behavior almost a year ago seems as misplaced as folks in Charlotte who were all in a bunch because he put a towel over his head earlier this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/05/for-some-reason-afc-players-taking-shots-at-cam-newton/

eznark

Banned
The people that PFT decide to cover for and the ones they generate hit pieces about always boggles my mind. Ultimate trolls.

Bowser

The people that PFT decide to cover for and the ones they generate hit pieces about always boggles my mind. Ultimate trolls.

Darin Gantt isn't a PFT troll, he was a local Panthers beat writer (you'll say he's biased but he's as unbiased as they come - he just calls 'em like he sees 'em) who was unceremoniously moved from covering the Panthers beat to the Wingate Golden Eagles (local college team). He left shortly thereafter (a lot of people think the paper was pressured by the Panthers to move him off the Panthers beat for being overly critical of the team - I don't believe that however, wayyy too conspiratorial), freelanced for a bit, then was hired by PFT.

Mashing

PFT is shit. I like ProFootballFocus a lot. It seems they've been getting more notoriety too, which is well deserved IMO.

mr2xxx

Banned
PFT is shit. I like ProFootballFocus a lot. It seems they've been getting more notoriety too, which is well deserved IMO.

Two completely diffirent site, PFT is geared toward news while PFF is just analysis. Granted when PFT attempts to do some type of analysis they are garbage.

Top Bottom