• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 14 |OT| Christmas Time is Here

Lunchbox

Banned
The bears have a good chance at running the table this year in the playoffs. the pieces isn't in play for obvious superbowl pick or whatever (one offensive weapon, old D...etc..etc..). But we have the ability to do so.

Pats Niners superbowl is already set

bears are just the texans of the NFC, a no threat against big teams

ari

Banned
It was bizarre having Bears fans cheering for the Vikings this past Sunday at the local bar I visit to watch the games. Those of us Vikings fans, in turn, were cheering for the Bears in the hopes that they would bring Seattle down a bit further from their Wild Card position. Unfortunately those cheers were few and far between & both teams staggered away with losses.

This weekend we will be enemies once again.

so true, i had an avatar bet in hoping the packs drop one....:(

i think the vikes needs a QB change, ponder is shaping up to be a fucking bust, that team won't be able to catch up with the packers and bears any time soon with him. Seriously.

Pats Niners superbowl is already set

bears are just the texans of the NFC, a no threat against big teams

wouldn't that be the denver broncos?

watch denver and chicago make it. haha.

RBH

Rex Ryan hasn’t revealed his starting quarterback for this week's game against the Jaguars, but the Daily News has learned that owner Woody Johnson prefers Greg McElroy to start this week. General manager Mike Tannenbaum and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano prefer Mark Sanchez, who was benched for the first time in his career last week and watched as McElroy rallied the Jets to a win over the Cardinals.

Ryan met with various members of the organization on Monday in order to make an informed decision, according to sources. However, he hadn’t definitively decided on his signal caller by the end of the day.

Ryan wasn't given an ultimatum by his bosses to start a particular quarterback. He simply solicited opinions and preferences.

Tim Tebow, who is dealing with two cracked ribs, doesn’t appear to be in the mix to start in Jacksonville.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/je...reg-mcelroy-but-mike-tannenbaum-tony-sparano-

LevelNth

Banned
I really think it came down to the Rams DL being able to handle your offensive line, and coaching. In the first game your plan to stop the Rams didn't understand that Amendola was the only WR to worry about (Givens was out)

The second game, the Kap decision hurt them. The Rams offense did nothing besides late FGs. I think they ran a limited playbook for Kap, b/c both teams after the game had quotes that STL knew the plays. Weird to say but Harbs kind of looked bad both times
Not to mention that pitch play call was probably one of the most unnecessary I've seen since Harbs took over. New QB, inside own 35, run a high risk/reward play on 3rd down when you don't need to as outside of an incorrect IG call the defense is currently pitching a shutout.

Chances are if we run up the middle and don't convert, we punt and you guys have about 2:15 with 2 timeouts at your 30. Likely game over.

Very, very stupid play call.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
They kind of are thought arnt they? Unless they are going to make the playoffs what good does winning meaningless games do? In 1969 the Eagles had the worst record in football going into the last game, and they went out and won that game and finished with the 3rd worst record. The top pick was OJ Simpson, and the EAgles took a different RB at 3. They would have been much better off losing that last game and getting the better pick. Once my team is out of the playoffs I want them to lose every game.

That's straight loser talk man.

So basically if you ain't first you're last?

Fox318

Is he Sisyphus now?

EURCj.jpg

Not to mention that pitch play call was probably one of the most unnecessary I've seen since Harbs took over. New QB, inside own 35, run a high risk/reward play on 3rd down when you don't need to as outside of an incorrect IG call the defense is currently pitching a shutout.

Chances are if we run up the middle and don't convert, we punt and you guys have about 2:15 with 2 timeouts at your 30. Likely game over.

Very, very stupid play call.

One thing that just dawned on me, don't the niners call two plays in a huddle and let the QB decide which to run after looking at the defensive setup (Hence, "let it roll" and "kill kill kill")?

That's straight loser talk man.

So basically if you ain't first you're last?

Damn right. I was at Target yesterday and they had a ribbon for sale that said "2nd place" real big on it, and then under in small print it said "is the first loser". In a sport like football you either have a chance to win or you dont. I dont see what finishing 6-10, instead of 3-13 does expect ruin draft position.

TheFatOne

I wonder when Bolden will be activated if he is even activated. Would be nice for RB depth for the Pats, but I'm not sure they need him right now.

LevelNth

Banned
One thing that just dawned on me, don't the niners call two plays in a huddle and let the QB decide which to run after looking at the defensive setup (Hence, "let it roll" and "kill kill kill")?
Not always. Plus the whole point with a new QB like Kap is not to put him in a position that if an incorrect call is made, it can result in something like that.

He didn't even read the blitz incorrectly, the Rams just got good penetration and it forced that error. Play never should have been called. I adore Harbs and Roman's play calling, but without question they sometimes buy their own brand a little too much.

Say what you want about the IG or Kap running out of bounds, but IMO this game is on Harbaugh.

And Akers. Seriously, 7 of 15 from beyond 40? Get him the fuck out.

I am not saying that the SB is all that matters, you can improve without winning it, but what good does it do you to win a few meaningless games at the end of the season?
Oh I agree, I was just posting that because we had a very similar discussion. I wasn't talking about the specifics that you brought up.

harSon

Banned
If the Chargers beat us, I'll probably snap. After choking against the Ravens and Bengals, ya'll damn well better lay down for us too.

Meier

Has the Colin Kaepernick birth mom been discussed?

Russo has a Twitter account in which her profile notes that she has "a very special place in my heart for Colin Kaepernick." She said Kaepernick, who through his agent declined to be interviewed for this story, has exchanged a few messages with her, but that most of her tweets over the years have gone unreturned. Kaepernick's adoptive parents, Rick and Teresa, have said in the past they are supportive of whatever he wants to do. At the same time, Colin, Rick and Teresa have always been uncomfortable with the term "adoptive" parents.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--b...s-starting-qb-colin-kaepernick-052911423.html

I personally find stuff like this to be pretty gross. She apparently went to see him play for the first time in 2010, but if he hadn't become a star QB, does anyone think she would have tried to get back into his life? I don't. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but it comes across as callous to me. You gave him up, move on with your life and quit trying to interfere with his and the relationship he developed with his adoptive parents who raised him.

I disagree. Myself and the rest of Browns-GAF have not been laughed out of here.

And we even allow the Gator to stay although he refuses to admit he truly loves the Jags.

Browns GAf is good people, and I think the Gator is still here since we are all waiting for the day that he finally admits he is a Jags fan.

JCizzle

Not always. Plus the whole point with a new QB like Kap is not to put him in a position that if an incorrect call is made, it can result in something like that.

He didn't even read the blitz incorrectly, the Rams just got good penetration and it forced that error. Play never should have been called. I adore Harbs and Roman's play calling, but without question they sometimes buy their own brand a little too much.

Say what you want about the IG or Kap running out of bounds, but IMO this game is on Harbaugh.

And Akers. Seriously, 7 of 15 from beyond 40? Get him the fuck out.

It's 90% on Harbaugh IMO. Why even bother with the switch to CK if you're going to run the same old boring, conservative offense you ran with Alex? You promoted the guy because he can push the ball downfield and keep teams honest with his legs, yet didn't really take advantage of that at all during the game. Beyond that, why isn't VD getting the ball more? It's ridiculous that Delanie is seemingly getting more targets than our stud TE that can actually make a play. Finally, playing for a 51 yard FG is straight up stupid and cowardly. He played not to lose and it cost the team.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and he's an awesome coach - but it's time to evolve from the 2011 Niners strategy and push the envelope in terms of going for the jugular and not letting lesser teams stick around. Playing for 50 yard FG's in the playoffs will make for a quick exit.

eznark

Banned
Jake Long is also available?

Green Bay could use that guy...

lol, no. He is going to want Thomas money despite a not-stellar year. Plenty of solid tackles available who won't expect the moon.

Plus, we all know we aren't signing free agents.

According to the Giants, RT Sean Locklear sustained a "significant knee sprain" during Monday's loss to the Redskins.

If Locklear truly avoided a ligament tear, he's lucky. The gruesome replays showed his right knee getting bent the wrong way in horrific fashion. The Giants are going to have to roll with declining veteran David Diehl at right tackle going forward.
Thank God Locklear didn't blow his knee out. *sigh* welcome back Diehl :C
Hakeem Nicks said he played through a nasty nose injury during Monday's loss to the Redskins.

Midway through the first half, Nicks took a hard hit and appeared to land right on his face. He said his nose isn't broken, but he was struggling to talk in the locker room postgame. "I don't know what happened, but blood was spewing everywhere," Nicks said.
Sounds a tad serious, I saw at times he was having trouble breathing yesterday.

I love Chicago media.

So, Lovie Smith, take us through the decision to go for it on fourth-and-1 behind a patchwork offensive line from the Seahawks' 15-yard line with a 7-0 lead early in the second quarter. Any regrets, coach?

"I should have taken the field goal in a game like that," Smith surprisingly volunteered. "I feel like we had momentum and wanted to really kind of knock them out. That was the big play of the game."

That was the biggest play. Or maybe was it Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson's 12-yard scramble on third-and-5 in overtime? Or tight end Zach Miller's fourth-down catch? Rice's TD reception? I keep changing my mind.

Apparently so did Smith, who is more likely to tell jokes at a postgame news conference than show candor. Yet minutes after wishing aloud that he would have kicked the field goal, Smith must have realized he publicly had agreed with so many critics in Chicago. He contradicted himself.

"Would I do it again?" Smith asked. "Probably so."

Huh? Smith would make the same decision he called the wrong one? Put the Lovie Smith Waffle on the United Club menu. Smith uncharacteristically sending mixed messages only underscored how much this loss rattled the coach and his team.

That is what happens when a tired defense that once was Super Bowl-caliber lets a rookie quarterback orchestrate a fourth-quarter, 12-play, 97-yard go-ahead drive. As old and slow as Wilson made the Bears look defensively, nobody should have been surprised when the Seahawks marched 80 yards in overtime with relative ease.
Contrary to Monday's likely lament, the game didn't come down to Smith not trying a second-quarter field goal. Smith would have been better off defending his decision and stressing too much happened in 43 minutes that followed to blame one play. Focusing on Smith's flip-flop only obscures bigger issues suddenly confronting the Bears.

"This is a tough time," Marshall said. "This is a time where it's easy to point fingers ... but we're going to come together."

Like playoff teams do in December. Like the Seahawks did Sunday.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ears-haugh-chicago--20121203,0,4333178.column

Lovie and the team crushed because of a last minute loss to the Seahawks? lololol

What a bunch of pretenders

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
lol, no. He is going to want Thomas money despite a not-stellar year. Plenty of solid tackles available who won't expect the moon.

Plus, we all know we aren't signing free agents.

I know we won't sign anyone but we're due for the next Charles Woodson level signing. Maybe we'll get Andre Smith instead.

Our draft picks have been mostly good but not great. I feel like Casey Hayward was our best pick out of the 2012 class. Bulaga was good for a RT but we're still missing a good LT. Who knows what we'll do at center once they drag Jeff Saturday off to the nursing home.

eznark

Banned
I know we won't sign anyone but we're due for the next Charles Woodson level signing. Maybe we'll get Andre Smith instead.

Our draft picks have been mostly good but not great. I feel like Casey Hayward was our best pick out of the 2012 class. Bulaga was good for a RT but we're still missing a good LT. Who knows what we'll do at center once they drag Jeff Saturday off to the nursing home.

Woodson is gone, Jennings is gone. That should free up some space if they do want to make a splash somewhere I guess.

Top Bottom