• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL WEEK 15 |OT| Everybody Stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesmir

Banned
Do you think if the Browns have a strong showing these last 3 games they may get a shot at a primetime game?

(outside of the Thursday night ones that everyone now gets)

Honestly, probably. Their next three games are against playoff-potential teams...if you guys continue your climb
lol
, there's a shot next season.

MechDX

I was going to just give you a Texans pony avatar but then I thought your punishment must be more severe.

Gatorchest.jpg

If you had half a brain you would have made me wear one the avatars I had made up for you! :jnc
But you are just a petty Jags fan without much rational thinking.

If you had half a brain you would have made me wear one the avatars I had made up for you! :jnc
But you are just a petty Jags fan without much rational thinking.

Yes, but unlike you Tennessee fans he actually has a complete brain and he gave you this thing of beauty.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yup. I think the Texans are going to be good for the next few years, be competitive..but can't win the big one.

I don't know if it's worth the risk tanking and drafting a bust QB, or selling the farm to get an ELITE QB.

I think good but not great has been accepted because we were just so fuking bad before.
I was so happy last year winning the division. This year I'm so down and we're 11-2!
Success requires more success, and at some point good isn't good enough I guess.

So the Texans are the new Eagles?

MechDX

I know it burns your soul to wear that avatar.

Not really. Everytime you make another post I think youre sitting at home typing while wearing your Khan mustache and giggling in your cartoon laugh.

6a00d83451b84f69e20153941e0841970b-450wi

That's best kind of imposed avatar, especially when it's harmless on everyone else.

The last time someone made me wear a Titans avatar from a bet, Squicken, we went on a 7 game win streak......and I kept wearing it!

One New England player watched video of the Houston Texans wearing their spiffy high school-like Texans letterman jackets. Texans players wore them before enduring what would be a complete and embarrassing 42-14 plastering at the hands of the Patriots.

"They look cute," the Patriots player said of the Texans in their jackets. "They look like a high school swim team."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...os-boss-in-afc-look-like-super-bowl-favorites
Hopefully last night was the part in the movie where evil triumphs initially in order to make the impending redemption (playoff victory over the Pats in the AFC Championship) that much more meaningful. Andre Johnson hoisting a teary-eyed Schaub with his hands raised into the air --- that kind of thing.

Hopefully.

Russell Wilson didn't need to look good. He did his job because we Seahawks found a way to expose Cardinals Defense and special team. If Russell Wilson weren't pulled out in 3rd quarter. He could have tossed 3 TD in second half.
HAHAHAHA really? you did? It wasn't the 8 turnovers that resulted in defensive/ST touchdowns or putting your offense right on the goal line for 3 Lynch TD rushes? Your offense still blows (besides Lynch).

Talon said:
Harbaugh is going to stick with a guy like Joe Flacco because he is, regardless of what anyone here says, a Top 16 QB, and he's going to give you winning seasons. You're not going to do what Squicken suggests and dump him to take a chance by starting all over with a new guy.

It got Andy Reid, what, almost 14 years in Philadelphia?

storybook77 said:
Other teams want to win the Superbowl but would be fine with showing signs of consistent success over the short-term.
Right and I don't disagree with either point. What I am saying is that at some point, at the highest levels of the organization you have to decide what it is you want your team to be. Are you a perennial contender that never gets over the hump and therefore you maintain for 10-14 years without ever reaching the promised land? Or do you take risk and make the changes necessary to win that championship?

In most cases, that's an ownership question.

squicken

Ask Mike T or Rex with the Jets which he would have preferred?
Or Andy Reid?

well of course the coaches and GMs and even owners want that SB. they are legacy building, and that ring matters. brian billick still gets introduced as a SB winning coach

but to use a college example, has auburn had a better 5 years than georgia?

Looks like RGIII won't be starting this week. No word from Shanny but Garcon may have let the cat out of the bag.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/11/redskins-wideout-may-have-let-something-slip-re-rg3/

While all the reports on Robert Griffin III seemed positive yesterday, Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garcon may have let the cat out of the bag regarding his quarterback’s status for this week’s game.

Talking about their meeting with Cleveland, he said on ESPN’s SportsCenter (via CSNWashington.com) “We have a little bit tougher of a task with Kirk starting.”

“We have to play well around Kirk so Kirk doesn’t feel like he has to save the team and help him to be a comfortable as possible,” he continued.

“Kirk” would be Kirk Cousins, the rookie backup, and it’s unclear if Garcon just misspoke or was preparing for something the players are planning on happening.

Talon

Right and I don't disagree with either point. What I am saying is that at some point, at the highest levels of the organization you have to decide what it is you want your team to be. Are you a perennial contender that never gets over the hump and therefore you maintain for 10-14 years without ever reaching the promised land? Or do you take risk and make the changes necessary to win that championship?

In most cases, that's an ownership question.
And all I'd say is that, while the decision seems so obvious in a vacuum, think about all the franchises that have mired in failure for the past decade. The Chiefs, the Raiders, the Bengals, Miami, etc. It's easy to laugh about the lack of effort, but it's not necessary for wont of trying.

It's a serious risk you're taking when you try to effectively rebuild your leadership core when things are going well.

The Panthers of the mid-2000s are a good example of that, though. They stuck by Jake Delhomme and a strong rushing attack, and they never really got anywhere. Delhomme was purely a mediocre guy, and they, for some reason, decided to stick by him even when he was in sharp decline.

If you ask all 32 Owners, they're all going to want to win a Championship.

Not really. Everytime you make another post I think youre sitting at home typing while wearing your Khan mustache and giggling in your cartoon laugh.

6a00d83451b84f69e20153941e0841970b-450wi

The last time someone made me wear a Titans avatar from a bet, Squicken, we went on a 7 game win streak......and I kept wearing it!

The more you call me a Jags fan the more the Texans fraudness continues.

MechDX

Imagine if the colts win on Sunday and week 17 gets flexed.

If they win the season is seriously over and I would rather they just lose out and have an epic collapse. It would completely destroy the franchise and a force a major rebuild.

Squicken may have multiple teams but he doesn't have multiple accounts.

At least not mine.

It was Squicken who made me wear it....

The more you call me a Jags fan the more the Texans fraudness continues.

mjdsplooge.gif

So if ATL and Houston get the #1 seeds. What playoff teams are worried about them?

None, until proven otherwise.

Of course, if the Falcons beat the Giants then other teams might at least be cautious.

The Colts would be worried about the Texans if they are the #1 seeds because that means the Texans beat them.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Panthers of the mid-2000s are a good example of that, though. They stuck by Jake Delhomme and a strong rushing attack, and they never really got anywhere. Delhomme was purely a mediocre guy, and they, for some reason, decided to stick by him even when he was in sharp decline.
They were a botched kickoff away from winning the Superbowl, but then the forces of darkness prevailed.

Jerry Jones turned down winning SBs just because he wasnt happy with the division of credit. I think most owners really would take consistant success instead of winning big and then disappearing. Look that the Bucs, they have 2 sellouts this year and there were more Eagles fans then Buc fans in the crowd on Sunday. No owner would take a SB if they knew their franchise would become a laughing stock like the Bucs have become.

Talon

They were a botched kickoff away from winning the Superbowl, but then the forces of darkness prevailed.
Mid-2000s meaning after that Superbowl.

Damn, that was a dark ass year in football.
Jerry Jones turned down winning SBs just because he wasnt happy with the division of credit. I think most owners really would take consistant success instead of winning big and then disappearing. Look that the Bucs, they have 2 sellouts this year and there were more Eagles fans then Buc fans in the crowd on Sunday. No owner would take a SB if they knew their franchise would become a laughing stock like the Bucs have become.
The Glazers don't care anymore.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/11/terrell-owens-begged-the-clippers-to-sign-him/

The NFL isn’t the only league Terrell Owens wants to play in.

Owens, who was last seen begging the Jets to give him a chance, also begged the NBA’s Los Angeles Clippers to sign him, according to Clippers forward Blake Griffin.

“Terrell Owens is always — he was at our practice facility this summer, begging coaches for a 10-day contract,” Griffin said on the Dan Patrick Show.

Although Griffin allowed that Owens “can play a little bit,” it’s safe to say that at age 39, Owens won’t be taking up a second career in the NBA. And seeing as he hasn’t played in an NFL game since December 19, 2010, we can just about declare his first career over as well.

Griffin also mentioned that he played football in high school and sometimes wonders what he could have accomplished if he had stuck with it instead of quitting during his sophomore year to turn all of his attention to hoops.

“I think about that sometimes, I wish I had played it a little longer,” Griffin said. “But I’m glad I stuck with basketball.”

The 6-foot-10, 251-pound Griffin has amazing leaping ability and would be quite a threat as a receiver in the red zone. At least, he’d have a better chance of competing in the NFL than Owens would of competing in the NBA.

lol

TheFatOne

One New England player watched video of the Houston Texans wearing their spiffy high school-like Texans letterman jackets. Texans players wore them before enduring what would be a complete and embarrassing 42-14 plastering at the hands of the Patriots.

"They look cute," the Patriots player said of the Texans in their jackets. "They look like a high school swim team."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...os-boss-in-afc-look-like-super-bowl-favorites

Sounds like Welker or Mankins. Any word on Talib and Dennard? I hope both of those guys are alright. Still can't believe how much better the Pats defense looks with Talib. This is all I hoped for in the beginning of the season. Just a defense that can make plays even if they give up a bunch of yards.

Re-watch thoughts:

DEFENSE
- Tramon Williams had a great game.
- Brad Jones had an abysmal game.
- Moses is good at pass rushing, terrible at run defense.
- Zombo is good at run defense, terrible at pass rushing.
- Walden looked tremendously weak. Not even keeping contain. Huge regression.
- Capers had Hayward playing LB in some formations. No comment.

OFFENSE
- Fat Mike called a good game.
- Newhouse gets beaten outside like it's his job. Terrible.
- Greg Jennings was invisible. Troubling.
- The RBs looked good but I'm not a believer in the run game yet.

OTHER:
- Still don't know why they aren't using Finley or a TE in the middle of the field.
- Lots of late hits and dirty plays by the Lions. Scum team.
- Incredibly uneven called game by the refs.

Visual thoughts:

Love seeing great blocking. Jones, Cobb, and Barclay make this play. Notice EDS fucking up as usual.

vt1uvoi6.jpg

Why did they not exploit the cushions more? Slants? Posts? Something. It's like they're purposely avoiding exploiting the 2-high Safeties.

vt20re80.jpg

Talon said:
And all I'd say is that, while the decision seems so obvious in a vacuum, think about all the franchises that have mired in failure for the past decade. The Chiefs, the Raiders, the Bengals, Miami, etc. It's easy to laugh about the lack of effort, but it's not necessary for wont of trying.
It think I understand your point though which is - hey when you've been shit for so long, sustained success even without a Super Bowl is a pretty nice alternative and it's hard to say 'we need to make changes". Absolutely understandable. I think you'd agree though that eventually the consolation prize isn't enough both as a fan and an organization.

Talon

It think I understand your point though which is - hey when you've been shit for so long, sustained success even without a Super Bowl is a pretty nice alternative and it's hard to say 'we need to make changes". Absolutely understandable. I think you'd agree though that eventually the consolation prize isn't enough both as a fan and an organization.
It certainly sucks for the fans but, hey, 31 teams don't win the Superbowl every year. It is what it is.

Also, morons like Michael Lombardi and Jeremy Green lasted a long time in this league in FO. We really overrate the capabilities of NFL personnel folks.

Jerry Jones turned down winning more Super Bowls because he's an egomaniac.

Also, considering you're an Eagles fan I figured you would come down on the other side of this. Andy Reid has well used up the goodwill from MAKING it to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile Shanahan is still riding off his Super Bowl success almost 15 years later.

Talon

Jerry Jones turned down winning more Super Bowls because he's an egomaniac.

Also, considering you're an Eagles fan I figured you would come down on the other side of this. Andy Reid has well used up the goodwill from MAKING it to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile Shanahan is still riding off his Super Bowl success almost 15 years later.
And Bill Cowher is living off his gift from Detroit!

LOL at Hernandez. There was another play on my side of the endzone were a guy wasn't covered but somehow Brady didn't snap the ball quick enough. Texans really didn't know what hit them last night.
Seriously. For them to not recognize that quick snap counts were killing them and to continue to stand around lackadaisically as the Pats broke the huddle in the second half was just mind-blowing. How did they not see that on film? Brady's averaging 25 seconds between plays on the season - even ESPN had a graphic ready - seems like a pretty crucial thing to miss.

I'm in a dark place today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom