• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL WEEK 15 |OT| Everybody Stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crazy how close the Pats play divisional games. In their seven game win streak they've won by an average of 34 points over non-divisional teams (3 games) and only 11 points over teams in their division (4 games). And the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills aren't exactly tearing it up this year.

Not saying that at all, but the Pats have lost to 2 NFCW teams already and now they are playing the best that the NFCW has to offer.
Those Pats loses seem so far away now, though. They are hot right now.

It's crazy how close the Pats play divisional games. In their seven game win streak they've won by an average of 34 points over non-divisional teams (3 games) and only 11 points over teams in their division (4 games). And the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills aren't exactly tearing it up this year.

Those Pats loses seem so far away now, though. They are hot right now.

They are hot not but that is going to run out some time. I just hope it happens before the SB this year. I would rather see a new team get beat down by the NFC.

squicken

So is Jeff Fischer really the defensive guru that people think he is? I mean, it's no secret what the Viking's offensive strategy is going to be...

There's good defensive talent. The CBs are very exploitable but you guys don't have the talent to do it. Curious if they can stop Peterson. They'll definitely load up and dare Ponder to go over the top

squicken

Squicken, you're older than most of us in this thread. You of all people should know that it's fucking rare to win a SB - think of all that greats that never managed to get there.

I absolutely agree. The joke on GAF is that 1 SB > 3 NFCCG. And for a fan that is true. But for a good organization that is very much false. Getting an elite QB is pure luck, and then which one of those gets the title any given year is another random event

I just question how much patience the fans have. I can tell you that HOU fans will sit on their hands next week and wait for something to go wrong. They will boo the Texans on the first 3 and out. If the Falcons have rough first quarter in their firt playoff game, I imagine they'll get the same. Just wonder what the masses will think of bringing back Ryan if they go one and done, especially if his numbers are close to Brees money

jmdajr

Here are just a few examples of what some recent Super Bowl champions looked like at this point in the season:

The 2011 Giants: The G-Men gave up 49 points to New Orleans, 38 to Green Bay, 34 to the Cowboys, and then lost 23-10 to the Redskins who led 23-3 until late with Rex Grossman at quarterback. It was their fifth loss in six games, with only two games remaining in the season they were 7-7. Beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

The 2009 Saints: scored points in losses to Dallas and Tampa Bay, then lost the season finale when they didn’t play more of their starters. Yet, scored 45, 31, 31 points in Super Bowl run.

The 2008 Steelers: Pittsburgh was 11-3 and traveled to the 12-2 Titans on December 21, the next-to-last game of the season with home-field advantage on the line, and got smoked like a pack of Kool’s 31-14.

The 2007 Giants: Note how all we typically hear about this team is how dominant their defense is, particularly the defensive line, thanks to shutting down the NFL’s most prolific offense in the Super Bowl, holding the Patriots to 14 points? Well, they allowed 45, 35, 31, 41 and 38 points in games during the season, and they lost two of their last three.

Yeah but we have Matt :'(

squicken

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler

Schaub's QB rating in 5 national TV games (NYJ, GB, Chi, Det, NE) is 70 (4TD, 6 INT). For reference Mark Sanchez for the season is 71.8

jbug617

Banned
I listened to some Houston talk radio last night and one guy was sort of complaining that the Pats were running up the score. On the last TD drive it was mostly running plays.

Here you go:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Ramp up the Braylon-Edwards-back-to-Jets story. Jets released RB Kahlil Bell to make room for a wide receiver, per league source.

EDIT: Eagles update:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Eagles' McCoy, Vick, Celek, Patterson all out Thursday

I have bad news for you, the motivations of fans and coaches/GMs are only aligned to a point. No GM is going to risk his hide by dropping off an adequate QB that will give you winning seasons to maybe, hopefully get lucky with a longshot player.

The difference is a good 4-7 years of employment with a winning franchise, perhaps significantly longer or getting fired in 2 years after your shitty fourth round quarterback gets his ass whooped.

It's easy for us fans to say, "Championship or bust!" when our jobs aren't on the line.

This is why I snicker when people say if we don't win in the playoffs this year then Smith and Ryan should be gone.

Yea, it'll be disappointing but do we really want to tempt fate by knee-jerk replacing the two guys that have consistently won for this franchise for the first time ever?

People tend to forget our history rather quickly.

MechDX

The Pats shouldve let them score sooner

Jags_fan.gif

Its ok to have two teams but one should be in a different conference.

Tom Penny

I listened to some Houston talk radio last night and one guy was sort of complaining that the Pats were running up the score. On the last TD drive it was mostly running plays.

Instead of complaining about the Texans waving the white flag to start the 4th quarter which is basically unheard of? I've seen countless blowouts there and never seen a team of that caliber surrender. Flat out concede a game that early.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
This is why I snicker when people say if we don't win in the playoffs this year then Smith and Ryan should be gone.

Yea, it'll be disappointing but do we really want to tempt fate by knee-jerk replacing the two guys that have consistently won for this franchise for the first time ever?

People tend to forget our history rather quickly.

There's no one to replace Matt with but Smitty should be fired.

Look what a coach like Harbaugh did with Alex. Smith is a dumb ass and he's soft.

squicken said:
The joke on GAF is that 1 SB > 3 NFCCG. And for a fan that is true. But for a good organization that is very much false.
I agree with the underlying point that good organizations are generally far more patient than fans. They have to be as they understand the difficulties in getting to the big game not to mention that there is an amount of luck and the ball bouncing your way to achieve a Super Bowl win given the parity in the league.

I do, however disagree with the assertion that any organization would prefer 3 NFCCG over a Super Bowl. The end goal of this game we watch is to hoist that Lombardi. Ask any Coach/Owner/GM in this league if they would prefer supposedly "sustained" success in reaching a conference championship game for 3 years in a row or hoisting that trophy once in that span? It's not even a contest - they'll pick the latter option every time and twice on Sunday. Of course most would cheat and say they'd like both but they can't all have their cake and eat it too.:)

Ask Mike T or Rex with the Jets which he would have preferred?
Or Andy Reid?

Tom Penny

LOL at Hernandez. There was another play on my side of the endzone were a guy wasn't covered but somehow Brady didn't snap the ball quick enough. Texans really didn't know what hit them last night.

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler

Schaub's QB rating in 5 national TV games (NYJ, GB, Chi, Det, NE) is 70 (4TD, 6 INT). For reference Mark Sanchez for the season is 71.8
Haha, I love how Mark Sanchez is now basically the benchmark for awful QB play. That is the silver lining in this season for me.

I agree with the underlying point that good organizations are generally far more patient than fans. They have to be as they understand the difficulties in getting to the big game not to mention that there is an amount of luck and the ball bouncing your way to achieve a Super Bowl win given the parity in the league.

I do, however disagree with the assertion that any organization would prefer 3 NFCCG over a Super Bowl. The end goal of this game we watch is to hoist that Lombardi. Ask any Coach/Owner/GM in this league if they would prefer supposedly "sustained" success in reaching a conference championship game for 3 years in a row or hoisting that trophy once in that span? It's not even a contest - they'll pick the latter option every time and twice on Sunday. Of course most would cheat and say they'd like both but they can't all have their cake and eat it too.:)

Or Andy Reid?

Coaches and GMs would definitely rather win a SB, but I bet every owner woul take the 3 NFCC games. If you win a SB but miss the playoffs the other 2 years then at most you would win 4 playoff games in those 3 years. While you could win 6 playoff games the other way, those 2 extra wins, and 2 or 3 extra games that you lose adds up to a lot of extra revenue.

MechDX

"Nobody's covering Chris Johnson!"

Im telling you right now. Houston football is cursed! People told me last night I shouldnt be bitchin about a curse because we were not Cleveland or Atlanta...etc...they seem to forget the damn Oiler years. Remember 1993 Oilers in Buffalo!!

Talon

Or Andy Reid?
...? The alternatives weren't win consistently or win a Superbowl and then suck.

The alternates were: continue the course with consistent success or change course haphazardly because your QB might be good but not great.

Afrikan

2013 Free Agents.

QB Derek Anderson
QB Charlie Batch
QB Jason Campbell
QB Chase Daniel
QB Trent Edwards
QB Joe Flacco
QB Bruce Gradkowski
QB Rex Grossman
QB Tarvaris Jackson
QB Byron Leftwich

interesting...

does anyone think if Sean Payton moves on, he'll take Chase Daniel with him?...Maybe to Dallas...to *backup* Romo, until Payton Harbaughs Tony.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Do you think if the Browns have a strong showing these last 3 games they may get a shot at a primetime game?

(outside of the Thursday night ones that everyone now gets)

Talon

interesting...

does anyone thing if Sean Payton moves on, he'll take Chase Daniel with him?...Maybe to Dallas...to *backup* Romo, until Payton Harbaughs Tony.
"Short -> He's the next Drew Brees" has really overtaken "Black -> He's the next Mike Vick" in the QB stereotypes game.

Talon said:
The alternatives weren't win consistently or win a Superbowl and then suck.

Talon said:
continue the course with consistent success or change course haphazardly because your QB might be good but not great.
I didn't say they were and I'm not speaking specifically about the Falcons (i.e. I'm not telling you to dump your QB).

I'm saying that from an general organizational standpoint - the end goal is to win a championship. Period. Sustained success is fine (and certainly wanted) but you only need to look at the Eagles to see where sustained success becomes meaningless.

..and by the way that isn't a knock against the Eagles. Most Eagles fan would tell you its become meaningless. I have to listen to them all day.:)

jmdajr

...? The alternatives weren't win consistently or win a Superbowl and then suck.

The alternates were: continue the course with consistent success or change course haphazardly because your QB might be good but not great.

Yup. I think the Texans are going to be good for the next few years, be competitive..but can't win the big one.

I don't know if it's worth the risk tanking and drafting a bust QB, or selling the farm to get an ELITE QB.

I think good but not great has been accepted because we were just so fuking bad before.
I was so happy last year winning the division. This year I'm so down and we're 11-2!
Success requires more success, and at some point good isn't good enough I guess.

I didn't say they were and I'm not speaking specifically about the Falcons (i.e. I'm not telling you to dump your QB).

I'm saying that from an general organizational standpoint - the end goal is to win a championship. Period. Sustained success is fine but you only need to look at the Eagles to see where sustained success becomes meaningless...

I think it varies from franchise to franchise depending on their history, finances, location, etc....teams like Dallas, Philly, New York, New England, etc....are superbowl or bust teams.

Other teams want to win the Superbowl but would be fine with showing signs of consistent success over the short-term.

I think the Falcons are starting to approach the line where it will become a superbowl or bust mentality but I don't think they're quite there yet.

Talon

I'm saying that from an organizational standpoint - the end goal is to win a championship. Period. Sustained success is fine but you only need to look at the Eagles to see where sustained success is meaningless...
We're having two different conversations here.

As a GM or Coach, your primary motivation is to keep your job. It's all about risk. 31 teams don't win the Superbowl every year. Maybe Biscotti gets tired of 9-12 win seasons without a ring at some point, but it's certainly not going to be this season.

Harbaugh is going to stick with a guy like Joe Flacco because he is, regardless of what anyone here says, a Top 16 QB, and he's going to give you winning seasons. You're not going to do what Squicken suggests and dump him to take a chance by starting all over with a new guy.

It got Andy Reid, what, almost 14 years in Philadelphia?

This Peyton Manning scenario this offseason is a once-in-a-decade chance to take a flyer on a HoF QB. Is that going to happen with LORD BRADY in three or four years? Doubtful.

MechDX

Yup. I think the Texans are going to be good for the next few years, be competitive..but can't win the big one.

I don't know if it's worth the risk tanking and drafting a bust QB, or selling the farm to get an ELITE QB.

I think good but not great has been accepted because we were just so fuking bad before.
I was so happy last year winning the division. This year I'm so down and we're 11-2!
Success requires more success, and at some point good isn't good enough I guess.

manningtexan.jpg

Could have been so beautiful!
Could have been so right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom