• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL WEEK 15 |OT| Everybody Stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

FBO put out a nice article on underachieving teams (ESPN Insider). Here's the blurb on the Panthers:

Carolina Panthers

What was supposed to happen?

Fresh off one of the great rookie seasons of all time, Cam Newton was supposed to lead a resurgence in Carolina. Further, after one of the most injury-ravaged seasons in recent history, a return to health among the front seven was supposed to lift the defense to the levels the offense achieved the year before.

What went wrong?

Not much, really. It feels like the Panthers have taken a step backward, but actually they've slightly improved, or at a bare minimum held their ground. They were 6-10 last year and they're 4-9 now -- it's hard to call that a meltdown. On a per-pass basis, Newton's yards are up, his interceptions are down and he's running for more yards this season, too. The Panthers' scoring defense has improved by nearly a field goal per game since last season, as well. Carolina's biggest weakness has been on special teams: The Panthers are 27th in field goal accuracy, 30th in net punting average, 21st in kickoff returns and 28th in punt returns.

Is there hope for 2013?

Absolutely. They've had a lot of bad luck in close games, going 3-7 in contests decided by eight points or fewer. That means they're only four or five plays away from being a potential playoff team. The 2011 season may have raised expectations to an unrealistic level, but there is plenty to work with here going forward.

Wow, I knew the ST play was poor, but not THAT bad. I have a sneaking suspicion that if Ron pulls 3 more wins and 7-9 out of his ass, he may be retained even with a new GM. I think Richardson is going to take the players' input into consideration - it seems pretty clear they haven't given up on him even though most people believe he's a lame duck coach. I don't know if retaining Ron is the right thing to do (I mean, the guy is 1-11 or 1-12 in one-score games, that's pretty atrocious), but then again, he's only had 2 years as a head man and his teams rarely get blown out (I can only remember 4 blowouts - last season vs TEN and @ NO, and this year vs NYG and vs DEN).

They also write about the Eagles, Bills, Chiefs, and Saints, if anyone else is interested in those evaluations.

squicken

Good article with insight into Richard Sherman's drug lust

"Some of those guys who got drafted [ahead of me], I was like, 'Wow, this is ridiculous.' I thought, 'What's the point of playing good ball if it doesn't matter?' By the time the fifth round rolled around, the damage was done. I was like, 'When I get to the NFL, I'm gonna destroy the league, as soon as they give me the chance.' And that's what I've been doing ever since."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--s...nd-become-the-best-cb-all-time-170800233.html

tmdorsey

One would think that about our offensive line but they seem to play better against more talented teams for some damn reason. They struggled against the Panthers more than any other team that they've faced this year. It's really odd.

That's all pass protection though, they've sucked in the run game all year long save for one quarter against NO.

That's true, it's still worrisome being that one-dimensional. If Moore doesn't play stick a fucking fork in us. He's like all our run defense at the second and 3rd levels.

Cagey

Banned
FBO put out a nice article on underachieving teams (ESPN Insider). Here's the blurb on the Panthers:

Wow, I knew the ST play was poor, but not THAT bad. I have a sneaking suspicion that if Ron pulls 3 more wins and 7-9 out of his ass, he may be retained even with a new GM. I think Richardson is going to take the players' input into consideration - it seems pretty clear they haven't given up on him even though most people believe he's a lame duck coach. I don't know if retaining Ron is the right thing to do (I mean, the guy is 1-11 or 1-12 in one-score games, that's pretty atrocious), but then again, he's only had 2 years as a head man and his teams rarely get blown out (I can only remember 4 blowouts - last season vs TEN and @ NO, and this year vs NYG and vs DEN).

They also write about the Eagles, Bills, Chiefs, and Saints, if anyone else is interested in those evaluations.

A competent new GM should be enough to fix your Panthers' ST woes. Generally, bad ST play can be ascribed to a weak bottom third of the roster, which is caused by bad scouting/drafting.

But that writeup is interesting. I remember thinking the Panthers were way worse than last year, but... they're pretty much the same. Offseason hype elevated expectations beyond reason.

That's true, it's still worrisome being that one-dimensional. If Moore doesn't play stick a fucking fork in us. He's like all our run defense at the second and 3rd levels.

Good news is that Eli isn't going to be running the QB read anytime soon. :jnc

Need Babs and Spoon to show up big against the run if Moore can't go.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Liking Superman movies should be a bannable offense.
Original '78 Donner Superman is fantastic. Elitist.

storybook77 said:
Need Babs and Spoon to show up big against the run if Moore can't go.
With Bradshaw injured, you might be the first team to see a real heavy dose of David Wilson...

By real heavy I mean 9 carries

Margot Kidder was hot. She had charisma and attitude.
All of the Hollywood starlets nowadays couldn't hold her... panty... strap.

And I mean literally. They're too weak from all the forced vomiting.

When I become mod I will ban anyone who has wronged me.

twilight-zone-meme-generator-i-sent-them-to-the-cornfield-5ce2a1.jpg

Original '78 Donner Superman is fantastic. Elitist.

The original Donner Superman was good. But it's been 30+ years. Bryan Singer comes back with Superman rescuing people in a plane. Yawn.

It's like Hollywood has some gentleman's agreement to make piss poor movies that go nowhere. Then they're the first to get offended when other forms of media eat into their market.

squicken

It all makes sense now.

Seems like it was Sherman who may have introduced Pete to the Addrerall. Very interesting

Carroll, long enamored of the idea of unearthing big, physical corners, had tried to recruit Sherman to USC and was intrigued by his size. After drafting him, Carroll got some bonus gifts, in the form of Sherman's focus, competitiveness and study habits.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Bryan Singer comes back with Superman rescuing people in a plane.
There were so many issues with that movie other than the only action sequence that was interesting to watch. Lack of any real action being the first, Forehead Bosworth, fucking Lex Luther AGAIN, horrible costume with the smallest "S" ever on his chest and a main villain plot that involved a fucking real estate plot/scam. Seriously?

The Man of Steel trailer had aliens. The bar is low but shit...ALIENS. Actual Kryptonians and what looked like actual action sequences!? *interest rising*

MechDX

That avatar brings back memories he thought were dead.The choke in Buffalo.Seeing the Titans make the superbowl.

But once again I was given a Titans avatar last season and we had a 6 game winning streak while I wore it. If history stays the same the Texans next 6 games:

Colts
Vikings
@Colts
AFC Divsional
AFC Championship
Superbowl

Thanks Jags fan! When Houston wins the Superbowl everyone can thank Gator!

There were so many issues with that movie other than the only action sequence that was interesting to watch. Lack of any real action being the first, Forehead Bosworth, fucking Lex Luther AGAIN, horrible costume with the smallest "S" ever on his chest and the a main villain plot that involved a fucking real estate plot.

The Man of Steel trailer had aliens. The bar is low but shit...ALIENS. Actual Kryptonians and what looked like actual action sequences!? *interest rising*

Not gonna be duped by a trailer again. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen looked amazing in the trailers.

Just get Doomsday or Darkseid in there and start flinging Superman through continents.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen looked amazing in the trailers.
Did the first movie really set an expectation of quality though?;) That's not to say the first movie didn't have its moments of nostalgia and balls to the wall action but there was never anything about the Bayformer movies that looked "amazing" outside of the effects work.

Dark of the Moon does have some of the best use of 3D I've seen I have to admit. Great Blu-Ray in that regard.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Just get Doomsday or Darkseid in there and start flinging Superman through continents.
I'm down for this, yes. Darkseid in particular.

Spectral Glider said:
So is Donner's version of II!
I've owned the Bl-u-Ray for nearly a year and have yet to watch it (Got it free in some give away). I should do that this weekend.

But once again I was given a Titans avatar last season and we had a 6 game winning streak while I wore it. If history stays the same the Texans next 6 games:

Colts
Vikings
@Colts
AFC Divsional
AFC Championship
Superbowl

Thanks Jags fan! When Houston wins the Superbowl everyone can thank Gator!

What have I even done to be called a Jag fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom