• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL WEEK 15 |OT| Everybody Stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Award arguments are my second most hated thing in football because it'll be another backwinded stats argument.
"Aaron Rodgers isn't the MVP because of Matt Flynn" argument.
You are the worst.

Really disappointed that we didn't get to see Kirk Cutler in his full glory yesterday.

eznark

Banned
Award arguments are my second most hated thing in football because it'll be another backwinded stats argument.

You are the worst.

Really disappointed that we didn't get to see Kirk Cutler in his full glory yesterday.

Lets drop stats then. According to that ESPN guy, who is the least cornball between Wilson, RGIII and Luck?

Luck is the only one without a white girlfriend/wife so I go with him. Luck is the Bill Clinton of quarterbacks.

BBI already has the "Should Coughlin be back next season?" threads going.

yes_the_book_of_mormon_gif_by_squallykins-d3iybrf.gif

Giants fans really can be the fucking worst sometimes...

Talon

Lets drop stats then. According to that ESPN guy, who is the least cornball between Wilson, RGIII and Luck?

Luck is the only one without a white girlfriend/wife so I go with him. Luck is the Bill Clinton of quarterbacks.
But who would drive if the three of them were going on a Taco Bell run at night?
It's not like he's won a Superbowl...in the last 12 months.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/165/3/2/yes_the_book_of_mormon_gif_by_squallykins-d3iybrf.gif[IMG]

[spoiler]Giants fans really can be the fucking worst sometimes...[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Maybe they're just trying to start the "we have no chance" train on purpose

I'll also say that Hope played one hell of a game filling in for William Moore yesterday.

This defense is not the same old Falcons. The old defense would've just mailed it in after last week.

Thank you based Nolan! So glad that you've brought in game adjustments to Atlanta.

Is BVG still searching for a job after getting the axe at Auburn? :jnc

jmdajr

Welp. Danario Alexander pretty much cost me the playoffs victory. Perfect timing to kill that streak he was having.

Zero points :(

Win the last 2 we are in because Cowboys and Skins have to play each other, so that Guarantee one of them with a lost, also we have a better conference record than the Bears...

Edit: Forget the division title, it's going to the Skins or Cowboys one of them will end up with 4 wins in the division that's Guaranteed, Giants can only get to 3 wins....

squicken

Gus Johnson was discussing Brian Schottenheimer as in-demand coordinator for a HC job. How is that even possible? I don't think he's awful or anything, but he's also nothing special

Talon

I'll also say that Hope played one hell of a game filling in for William Moore yesterday.

This defense is not the same old Falcons. The old defense would've just mailed it in after last week.

Thank you based Nolan! So glad that you've brought in game adjustments to Atlanta.

Is BVG still searching for a job after getting the axe at Auburn? :jnc
Secondary has been unreal. I can't ever remember a moment in my Falcons fandom when I trusted the back end to make plays on the ball.
Gus Johnson was discussing Brian Schottenheimer as in-demand coordinator for a HC job. How is that even possible? I don't think he's awful or anything, but he's also nothing special
Was he working with Chris Davis? I'm sure Chris Davis stuck that idea in his mind.

What I'm saying is, Chris Davis is stupid.

bionic77

Man I am feeling really good about our chances to win it all if we get it.

I was really getting worried when we were 6-3, but then Ben got hurt and the rest of our team collapsed and we are sitting really pretty at 7-7. The Colts have a better story but our record speaks for itself.

I was really getting worried when we were 6-3, but then Ben got hurt and the rest of our team collapsed and we are sitting really pretty at 7-7. The Colts have a better story but our record speaks for itself.

Colts "Chuckstrong" bump is over.

There is very little room for error as we all know, you don't want to guarantee yourself a spot in the playoffs before the last week or two but at the same time you have to make sure you don't miss out entirely either. Only the most exceptionally mediocre teams know how to achieve that balance optimally. I was a little unsure about the Steelers but that convincing loss yesterday has me thinking that they've got a real shot. They aren't in quite as good of a position as the Giants though, that Falcons game was the mark of an NFL champion if I've ever seen it.

I'm sure all you Packers fans are loving this:

Jermichael Finley said:
It's a business and I would love to be here my whole career. I'm comfortable here and I want to be a Packer for life. That's all I can say about that.

PCKR 4 LYFE

Unnamed Bucs player on Schiano and co.:

lololololol

Considering that college coach has gotten them closer to the playoffs than they even sniffed last year, I wouldn't bite the hand that feeds you. Just because they're incompetent doesn't mean they get to place the blame somewhere else.

Going into prevent last night is still incredibly frustrating to me. The Pats weren't even in the game until we let up on the gas. Hopefully someone learns something from that game. I'm still happy with the win though. We went to foxboro and beat a team who doesn't lose at home in December, who destroyed the Texans the week before, with a still rough, young qb. I will take that. Also some of the verticals we employed in the game give me hope that we will start implementing more of the same in the playoffs.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Steelers Boards have been on the "Fire Tomlin!" wagon since week 3.
We've got the usual Coughlin threads along with fire Gilbride and Fewell. So much overreaction and I don't believe scheme is the issue. The execution just isn't there. Even in the Saints game last week, the execution was lacking. Folks will point to 52 points on the board but the defensive front was still soft surrendering the run (poor gap integrity, over pursuit to the ball, linebackers out of position), plenty of coverage breakdowns and offensively it should have never been a game early on considering the ridiculous field position we had. In some cases it's tiny miscues (wrong route here, bad throw there), in others its downright complete lapses in communication or personnel issues. All fixable.

This coaching staff is proven and when everyone runs to the "Fire so and so" nonsense I have to ask - who do you have in mind to replace them? Who's the better option? That fact that we're STILL in a good position to get in is amazing considering how poorly this team has played in its losses this season. In the end, get in and anything is possible..

Draxal

Unnamed Bucs player on Schiano and co.:

lololololol

He's got the ego/attitude of Saban, without any of the success that Saban's had. He'd be a good DC on the right team though.

We've got the usual Coughlin threads along with fire Gilbride and Fewell. So much overreaction and I don't believe scheme is the issue. The execution just isn't there. Even in the Saints game last week, the execution was lacking. Folks will point to 52 points on the board but the defensive front was still soft surrendering the run (poor gap integrity, over pursuit to the ball, linebackers out of position), plenty of coverage breakdowns and offensively it should have never been a game early on considering the ridiculous field position we had. In some cases it's tiny miscues (wrong route here, bad throw there), in others its downright complete lapses in communication or personnel issues. All fixable.

This coaching staff is proven and when everyone runs to the "Fire so and so" nonsense I have to ask - who do you have in mind to replace them? Who's the better option? That fact that we're STILL in a good position to get in is amazing considering how poorly this team has played in its losses this season. In the end, get in and anything is possible..

I'll be honest, I don't think Fewell's a good fit for the team schematically, even last year some of our great defensive perfomrances were more of the other team shitting the bed (Packers Divisional round) than anything the Giants did. I'm still high on Gilbride, and a little down on Tom (that bluster of we're going to win the next three games and then shit the bed like this was really reallly really bad). Tom's still coach of the Giants until he decides to leave though, but I can still be down on him a little for yesterday.

Cagey

Banned

Giants fans BBI really can be the fucking worst sometimes...

Fixed.

BBI needs a massive bloodletting.

EDIT: dat quote about Schiano... man, to think the Bucs did my Scarlet Knights the favor of firing him for us. Eternal love to the Tampa Bay ownership.

squicken

Matt Bowen on Carr INT

3. Did Brandon Carr know what was coming in OT?

Hear me out on this as we talk WR splits. During the Cowboys’ OT victory over the Steelers, Brandon Carr stepped in front of a Ben Roethlisberger pass and took the ball back to the one-yard line to set up the winning FG. However, go back to pre-snap split of Mike Wallace. The WR was aligned at the bottom of the numbers. That’s a key to play for the out route (WR shortens split to create room on the sideline). Sure, Roethlisberger left this ball to the inside. I get it. But watching the replay, Carr was in a position to jump the route playing Cover 3. And this is why pro DBs study splits and formations.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Week-15-Five-questions-1722.html

Striker

The forum is hard to read after a loss (game threads in particular are always funny). Hyperbole everywhere. Eric probably should make users have x amount of posts before being allowed to make threads, though. It's astounding the things I read.

Vyroxis

Banned
I said at the beginning of the season the Vikings would go 8-8. Lots of people called me out, claiming they were a 3-5 win team.

I don't get to be right very often, so I am gonna savor this.

Gotta like how the Steelers improved, now losing to teams over .500 and not just under .500. The arrow is pointing north.

Cagey

Banned
I'll be honest, I don't think Fewell's a good fit for the team schematically, even last year some of our great defensive perfomrances were more of the other team shitting the bed (Packers Divisional round) than anything the Giants did. I'm still high on Gilbride, and a little down on Tom (that bluster of we're going to win the next three games and then shit the bed like this was really reallly really bad). Tom's still coach of the Giants until he decides to leave though, but I can still be down on him a little for yesterday.

I don't think the bolded part is true. Fewell deployed a quality defensive scheme in the divisional round: take away the sidelines at the intermediate and deep levels, and force Rodgers/McCarthy to demonstrate the patience to drive the field. His gameplan in the defensive backfield was anchored by a monstrous performance from Prince Amukamara.

I think the problem is a system that emphasizes high risk, high reward, but doesn't seem to adjust when the defensive line can't provide the foundation for his gameplan with four down linemen. My layman's opinion is that we lack a "In Case of Emo Tuck and Wide 9 Osi, Break Glass" emergency plan.

More generally, I don't like either coordinator's concepts or style, so it's irritating to watch when the team looks so inept. It's not to say either one is bad, it's just a personal preference.

squicken

Gotta like how the Steelers improved, now losing to teams over .500 and not just under .500. The arrow is pointing north.

Both you and NYG will make the playoffs, same as always. Giants are still SB contenders, but I don't think Pittsburgh is anymore.. For whatever reason, the offense just can't get it working. Easy to blame Haley, but there are just performance issues with RBs and WRs as well

Mrbob

Poor Steelers fans, they haven't realized their team has as good a chance to win the Super Bowl as the Bears this season.

eznark

Banned
Both you and NYG will make the playoffs, same as always. Giants are still SB contenders, but I don't think Pittsburgh is anymore.. For whatever reason, the offense just can't get it working. Easy to blame Haley, but there are just performance issues with RBs and WRs as well

I only blame Haley in so far as he hasn't been able to get Roethlisberger to buy into the offense. The scheme seems fine but if Ben isn't into it then it's doomed.

Crimmy

BTW, you know how people like to blame Romo for the Cowboys late season collapses?

27 TDS 5 INT in his last 12 Dec/Jan games.

I don't post here in the OT much but I actually was skimming this thread and was gonna post something similar. I'm at work but if memory serves correct, he has had better Decembers in the past 3 or 4 years than many QBs. I think last year in December he had 8 TDs 0, 2009 7 TDs 1 INT. Just going off memory but there's an interesting article that tells people to stop listening to ESPN about Romo's alleged "December collapses."

Of course QBs are only judged on how many SB's they win but Romo has 18 4th Quarter comebacks which is more than quite a few QBs again. I'll find the exact #s later after work.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

What?

Steelers Boards have been on the "Fire Tomlin!" wagon since week 3.

WHAT?

Are there Packer boards out there calling for McCarthy's head too? Or Patriots boards wanting the evil one out?

Actually I remember the Tom Coughlin stuff from a few years ago. I thought that was crazy talk then and it still is. The only issue with Coughlin is his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom