• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

squicken

What I mean by that is that they follow Phillips' example. There's no way they couldn't after going from having one of the worst D's in NFL history to stomping fools in one year.

Kubiak doesn't know anything about defense and made two awful hires for DC. He compounded it by turning over personnel control of the defense to the GM, who either couldn't hit in the draft or the coaches were so bad it didn't matter

Wade fell in their laps and championed Watt and Reed. To Rick Smith's credit he got Manning and Joseph for what Philly paid Nnamndi

I think the biggest problem is that Run blocking. Nobody respects the Steelers run game anymore, and Haley's offense is heavily dependent on it. Sucks when the one guy who makes up your whole run game is on IR.

True, and they certainly don't have a back the other teams would even come close to fearing. Compare Peterson's return from knee injury to Mendenhall's....it's like comparing Peyton to Sanchez.

A-b329-CAAAwXiy.jpg:large

"Can I get this Steve? Please?"

"Sure...whatever kid i'm just here for the publicity."

harSon

Banned
I think the biggest problem is that Run blocking. Nobody respects the Steelers run game anymore, and Haley's offense is heavily dependent on it. Sucks when the one guy who makes up your whole run game is on IR.

We should just run the no huddle :|

And maybe utilize Rainey in a Sproles like role, and use screens, dump offs and plays of that nature to supplement our complete lack of a traditional rushing attack. I suppose it's too late to make that significant of a change though.

A couple of notes since I've been gone.

1) Call me Groverstradamus

Grover Cleveland five weeks ago said:
I personally guarantee that we'll beat the Falcons in Charlotte.

I'm willing to bet my avatar and my good name on it.

I had this big long FMT-style victory rant planned where I suggest several members of the Falcons organization to eat bags of dicks (including, but not limited to: Cowardly Ryan, Julio Jones AKA Predator, and the Mob Boss Blank), but I still see us as a disappointing 5-9 team and the Falcons looked fantastic on Sunday. I have no room for trash talking them.

But I'll still post this incredible gif.
falcons-busfmu5l.gif

2) I'd like to personally apologize to the Ravens for giving them the Kiss of Death. When I predicted them to take the 1 seed in the AFC, I seriously underestimated Joe Flacco's ineptitude. I didn't know that such suck was possible at the QB position. Now I see why he's BLarry's favorite player.

Welcome back. But why not the Saints?

I figure the Saints have suffered enough. They already have to live and work in New Orleans, LA.

We should just run the no huddle :|

And maybe utilize Rainey in a Sproles like role, and use screens, dump offs and plays of that nature to supplement our complete lack of a traditional rushing attack. I suppose it's too late to make that significant of a change though.

Offense doesn't need changing. Players just need to buy in (and we need to get rid of some guys on the line. I love Starks but he's useless against the Run. Adams is the second best run blocker besides Colon).

Ben can't stop complaining about his problems with Haley. Arians is gone. Get over it.

squicken

Offense doesn't need changing. Players just need to buy in (and we need to get rid of some guys on the line. I love Starks but he's useless against the Run. Adams is the second best run blocker besides Colon).

Ben can't stop complaining about his problems with Haley. Arians is gone. Get over it.

Maybe when Rex is fired, they'll replace him with Arians and trade Revis for Ben. Then the two can live happily ever after

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
A Lions roundup of local opinions on coaching and management:

A couple of pages late but couldn't respond proprely due to being on my phone. I saw all of the articles you posted Wedge, and a lot are correct but a lot are hyperbole IMO.

-- Schwartz's inability to develop Matthew Stafford was evident as the quarterback threw for 246 yards, three interceptions (two returned for touchdowns) and had zero touchdowns (37.6 passer rating). Stafford's delay of game penalty in the fourth quarter was not only a bad mental error, but negated Kris Durham's touchdown reception. Stafford's error led to Arizona defensive back Greg Toler's 102-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Stafford had probably the worst game of his career. It happens. A lot of that is due to not having a NFL reciever outside of Megatron, who was constantly getting double teamed.

-- Schwartz's defensive line was supposed to be one of the league's best this season. While Ndamukong Suh had one sack and four quarterback hits, defensive ends Cliff Avril and Kyle Vanden Bosch were quiet against Arizona, and nobody else stepped up.

NEWSFLASH: KVB should retire, and Cliff Avrils stats are inflated due to having Suh, Corey Williams and Nick Fairley at DT. He should be raking up 15 sacks a season for the money he's demanding, along with the talent we have at DT but he's overrated and will be gone by the end of the season.

Draft a Dion Jordan, or Manti Te'o combined with a DE in the 2nd or 3rd. Cliff Avril looks good because of Suh. Some stupid team will blow 8 Mil a year on him though.

-- Schwartz was unable to find one receiver who could step up with the attention Calvin Johnson received on Sunday. Durham had one reception for 14 yards, while Brian Robiskie had one reception for nine yards.

We're playing with players who should be in the CFL. I'm not one to use injuries as an excuse but if there were ever a case our WR core has been decimated. Couple that with the fact our best #2 is an idiotic douchebag who has all the talent in the world but is a fucktard.

-- Schwartz's team was penalized seven times for 63 yards, and three of them were offsides penalties. Those are mental errors that should have been solved by now

Totally on Schwartz and the coaching staff. I still like Schwartz and think the main problem lies with Scott Linehan and his offense.

Let's not kid ourselves though. We're not the Chiefs or the Jaguars or the Raiders etc. We made the playoffs last year with a 23 year old QB, and have a bright future ahead of us. We've had shitty luck in numerous ways this year, but we can hang with any team in the NFL as long as we have Matt Stafford leading us.

A couple of solid draft picks and a FA aquisition or two and we're right back at the top of the NFC.

Fuck the Packers, Bears, 49ers, Falcons etc. we can hang with any of those teams, and with a couple of added pieces a close loss like what happened in Green Bay two weeks ago will turn into a W.

It starts this weekend vs. Atlanta when we kick the shit out of the sorry ass Flacons and there dirty cheapshoting offensive line.

Ben can't stop complaining about his problems with Haley.

I love that the media is all over that again. It was their favorite new "story" after they found out Wallace wasn't going anywhere. Then it was forgotten during the 4 game win streak and Ben's injury. Now it's back again, I think Ben does this shit on purpose just to see how many media stories he can get going. I'd hope he was doing it just to take the heat off the rest of the team for how shitty they've been playing, but I don't think he's smart enough for that. I just think he likes fucking with the media.

kastrioti said:
A couple of solid draft picks and a FA aquisition or two and we're right back at the top of the NFC.
Speaking of hyperbole...

I don't generally jump into this stuff but that statement is either well veiled sarcasm or outright delusional. It presumes that you were ever there to begin with. You made the playoffs once in 10 years and were dumped in the wild card. The Lions haven't even beaten the Packers in Lambeau in two decades. Before you can claim to be at "the top of the NFC" you actually have to be able to beat a division rival on the road at least once in 20 years as a bare minimum qualification to make said claim. Just once.

squicken

haha Simmons' betting podcast

"I think Josh Freeman dropped about 5 spots in my power poll after yesterday's game. Is he eating again? I think they need to keep him away from fried food"

A couple of pages late but couldn't respond proprely due to being on my phone. I saw all of the articles you posted Wedge, and a lot are correct but a lot are hyperbole IMO.

Stafford had probably the worst game of his career. It happens. A lot of that is due to not having a NFL reciever outside of Megatron, who was constantly getting double teamed.

NEWSFLASH: KVB should retire, and Cliff Avrils stats are inflated due to having Suh, Corey Williams and Nick Fairley at DT. He should be raking up 15 sacks a season for the money he's demanding, along with the talent we have at DT but he's overrated and will be gone by the end of the season.

Draft a Dion Jordan, or Manti Te'o combined with a DE in the 2nd or 3rd. Cliff Avril looks good because of Suh. Some stupid team will blow 8 Mil a year on him though.

We're playing with players who should be in the CFL. I'm not one to use injuries as an excuse but if there were ever a case our WR core has been decimated. Couple that with the fact our best #2 is an idiotic douchebag who has all the talent in the world but is a fucktard.

Totally on Schwartz and the coaching staff. I still like Schwartz and think the main problem lies with Scott Linehan and his offense.

Let's not kid ourselves though. We're not the Chiefs or the Jaguars or the Raiders etc. We made the playoffs last year with a 23 year old QB, and have a bright future ahead of us. We've had shitty luck in numerous ways this year, but we can hang with any team in the NFL as long as we have Matt Stafford leading us.

Fuck the Packers, Bears, 49ers, Falcons etc. we can hang with any of those teams, and with a couple of added pieces a close loss like what happened in Green Bay two weeks ago will turn into a W.

It starts this weekend vs. Atlanta when we kick the shit out of the sorry ass Flacons and there dirty cheapshoting offensive line.

1. any team can "hang" with any other team on any given sunday in the nfl. lions can't actually WIN against those teams, that is their problem

2. lulz @ "stafford has no one but megatron". oh boo fucking hoo. there are other QB's succeeding without megatron. stafford is overrated. not even a top 15 QB

cdyhybrid

This Mehta guy seems shady. Giant hit piece with old quotes and unattributed snipes. Now he posts a story that can never be verified. "Will asked to be released or traded" Of course they are going to release him, whether he asks for it or not. I've never seen a backup QB ruin a team like Tebow. He truly is amazing

Pretty sure the Jets ruined themselves just fine without Tebow's help.

No excuses at all! Even Vegas is favoring the Hawks. Look at that point differential!

Feeling slighted by a Vegas betting line is pretty weak.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Speaking of hyperbole...

I don't generally jump into this stuff but that statement is either well veiled sarcasm or outright delusional. It presumes that you were ever there to begin with. You made the playoffs once in 10 years and were dumped in the wild card. The Lions haven't even beaten the Packers in Lambeau in two decades. Before you can claim to be at "the top of the NFC" you actually have to be able to beat a division rival on the road at least once in 20 years as a bare minimum qualification to make said claim. Just once.

Honest to God if this team sucked and had no talent I would call them out on it. I'm a Lions fan I've been doing it for what feels like forever.

But we don't suck, and we have as much solid young talent as any team in the league. Not only were we 10-6 last year, but we won our last 4 games in the 2010 season.

Us not beating the Pack for 20 years is due to numerous reasons, one being which we had Matt Millen at the helm for 10 of those years. It will happen and was close to happening two weeks ago. I'm not going to hang my head over that a win will happen soon.

1. any team can "hang" with any other team on any given sunday in the nfl. lions can't actually WIN against those teams, that is their problem

2. lulz @ "stafford has no one but megatron". oh boo fucking hoo. there are other QB's succeeding without megatron. stafford is overrated. not even a top 15 QB

1.) Agreed. Any team can put up a W any week. The difference is Blaine Gabbert being your QB or Matthew Stafford. We can't win RIGHT NOW, but a few pieces and some maturity will take us a long way. Just you watch.

2.) Staff had his #2, #3, #4 WR plus #1 TE out for the game against the Cards. Like I said I'm not one to make injury excuses, it happens to all teams, but its hard to throw it to CFL receivers against NFL DBs.

Speaking of hyperbole...

So true.

If I were the Lions' new head coach I would go into the meeting room the first day and say "forget about the Super Bowl right now. Our goal is to beat the Pack in Lambeau. We're not going anywhere until we can defeat them in their house".

WedgeX

Banned
So true.

If I were the Lions' new head coach I would go into the meeting room the first day and say "forget about the Super Bowl right now. Our goal is to beat the Pack in Lambeau. We're not going anywhere until we can defeat them in their house".

....How much are you asking for in salary and compensation?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
20326869_BG2.jpg

This sexy motherfucker is 24 years old NFL GAF.

I know he may act older, and play older, but he's got at least 10 more years of playing this game. The Kaepernicks, Derek Andersons, Jake Delhommes come and go, but Stafford will stay and will scare the shit out of opposing defenses for the next decade. Get used to it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Kaepernicks, Derek Andersons, Jake Delhommes come and go, but Stafford will stay and will scare the shit out of opposing defenses for the next decade. Get used to it.

The only thing he scares are the people working at his local Chinese buffet.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I gotta try to be more active in the thread... every year around this time my posting slows to a crawl. I really hope the season doesn't get stretched out to 18 games. So few games will be relevant at that point.

Top Bottom