• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

eznark

Banned
121218wilson600.jpg

CHEATIN' PETE

How much do the USC boosters pay Carroll to continue recruiting for them? Shady as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

squicken

Is Rex Ryan officially the biggest douchebag coach of all time?

Not even Belicheat is that evil to his players.

As with all sinking ships, everyone is now trying to figure out a way to save himself. Ryan is hanging on by a thread. So is Tony Sparano, the offensive coordinator who was supposed to make this experiment work. Not to mention general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who has overseen the gutting of a franchise that seemed on the rise not so long ago.

If Tebow plays now — and plays well — those Jets fans still paying attention would undoubtedly wonder, “Hey, why haven’t they been playing him all along?” Which would lead to all the above-mentioned figures finding themselves looking for work next season. They may be anyway, but they no longer have any chance of surviving on Tebow’s back.

squicken

But center Eric Wood didn’t hold back Wednesday morning on his weekly segment on 97 Rock, calling the series “a joke,” and saying he hoped the contract wasn’t renewed.

“I think that Toronto series has turned into pretty much a joke,” Wood said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. “I think they started it hoping that we’d have a lot of fan support in Toronto. We have none.

“I mean, it’s a crucial third down for them in the first quarter, and they’re running just regular snap count, where I don’t care if we have a half-filed Ralph Wilson Stadium, they don’t do that.”

The Bills were hammered 50-17 by the Seahawks Sunday in a half-filled Rogers Centre, dropping them to 1-4 in their games north of the border.

“You’re making a team from out west travel, and then you give them the comfort a dome, and you don’t make them play in our stadium,” Wood said. “We have no home-field advantage allowed. We travel, too. I just think it’s a joke.

“And it’s a bad atmosphere for football. I mean, nobody wants to play there. I guess for opposing teams it beats the hell out of going in somebody else’s stadium and dealing with a bunch of crowd noise.

“I don’t think it’s turned out they way we wanted, and I hope we don’t renew it. That sucked.”

eznark

Banned
Maybe if Buffalo wasn't a completely moribund and overlooked franchise they'd be able to draw fans from LESS THAN 100 MILES AWAY.

Give me a fucking break. Pittsburgh fans dominated Dallas. It's not Toronto's fault you fucking suck and have sucked for 15 years. Play better football you fucking loser.

squicken

Unlike a guy like Urlacher who's entire career is due to fans and media over-hyping him, I actually don't have much of a problem with Wood's comments. He's not the GM or coach that has screwed things up, and if anything, it says he still cares and wants to win. He should have thrown some caveat in there about the loss being on them, but I think his main point is that the Toronto series was of no benefit to the team in growing the fanbase, it put them at a competitive disadvantage, and he hopes they don't do it again

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Maybe if Buffalo wasn't a completely moribund and overlooked franchise they'd be able to draw fans from LESS THAN 100 MILES AWAY.

Give me a fucking break. Pittsburgh fans dominated Dallas. It's not Toronto's fault you fucking suck and have sucked for 15 years. Play better football you fucking loser.

True, but it is also true that it's bullshit that the team has to travel for a "home" game. Toronto has made it clear they don't really support the team for pretty much the same reason. They're not the home team.

Also, they suck. So. Get better you fucking fucks. You owe me 13 seasons of my life back, you no QB having, weak ass coach hiring, buying shit over the hill players strategy, cutting talent before it's time, non-competitive fuckstains. Fuck your franchise, fuck your face and maybe go back to fucking Pop Warner where you may have a winning record.

eznark

Banned
True, but it is also true that it's bullshit that the team has to travel for a "home" game. Toronto has made it clear they don't really support the team for pretty much the same reason. They're not the home team.

Also, they suck. So. Get better you fucking fucks. You owe me 13 seasons of my life back, you no QB having, weak ass coach hiring, buying shit over the hill players strategy, cutting talent before it's time, non-competitive fuckstains. Fuck your franchise, fuck your face and maybe go back to fucking Pop Warner where you may have a winning record.

Milwaukee supported the shit out of the Packers when they used to play two games a year there and that was a longer drive than Buffalo to Toronto (and the Packers suuuuuucked).

Buffalo players just need to embrace the essentially legalized prostitution that Toronto offers and enjoy themselves.

WanderingWind

I remember buying a Bills Bledsoe jersey. I supported the team greater than any "real" fan.

No. Bills have never had issues selling tickets. We love to show up and bitch about the shit play. One thing you can't levy about us is that the fans suck.

Milwaukee supported the shit out of the Packers when they used to play two games a year there and that was a longer drive than Buffalo to Toronto (and the Packers suuuuuucked).

Not really the same thing, to be honest. That's the same state. Playing in a different country for half the home games, is a big blow to the fanbase that has supported the team through decades of suck.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Bills in Toronto can go fornicate itself.

The problem is the NFL seemed to make an assumption that because we are geographically close to Buffalo there must be a lot of Bills fans here. There are a lot of passionate NFL fans in Toronto but we all have our own teams we care about.

Also add in that any of us that actually want to watch the Bills play will just take the 3-4hr drive to the border and get a much better experience. We can't tailgate like you guys can in the states (due to our laws) and frankly to me at least that's a very big part of the whole NFL experience.

Sanjuro

No. Bills have never had issues selling tickets. We love to show up and bitch about the shit play. One thing you can't levy about us is that the fans suck.

Admit it. I'm the best you've got.

The problem is the NFL seemed to make an assumption that because we are geographically close to Buffalo there must be a lot of Bills fans here. There are a lot of passionate NFL fans in Toronto but we all have our own teams we care about.

Also add in that any of us that actually want to watch the Bills play will just take the 3-4hr drive to the border and get a much better experience. We can't tailgate like you guys can in the states (due to our laws) and frankly to me at least that's a very big part of the whole NFL experience.

Maybe one day you can share a team with England.

eznark

Banned
How does it take 4 hours to go from Toronto to Buffalo?? I drove from Boston to Toronto in like 7 hours and that's 5 times as far!

WanderingWind

Tailgating is legalized binge drinking. Which is essential to watching Buffalo play. So, yeah. If you can't tailgate, we've deduced the root cause of the problem there.

Admit it. I'm the best you've got.

I'll admit that you buying a Bills jersey pre-Brady shows that you're one of the many converts to the Pats after 2001.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
How does it take 4 hours to go from Toronto to Buffalo?? I drove from Boston to Toronto in like 7 hours and that's 5 times as far!

Sorry my bad, I was thinking of Detroit which I go to more frequently. Toronto to Buffalo is 2hrs or so.

After listening to Jennings on the radio, he definitely gone.

Nelson, Jones, and Cobb isn't bad but the Packers need that 4th guy.
Or just a better O-line and run game.

How much will he command on the market? Garcon, Jennings, Moss in the slot...I like that. I like that a lot.

Sanjuro

I remember getting into an argument with some stupid Frenchie Habs fan on here. Claimed I knew nothing about the team as I lived "thousands of miles away". I could have been getting a lap dance by the time it took him to figure out reality.

This world is too cruel though, miss going to the Whalers games more than anything. Nothing wrong with making the day out of going to a sporting event, or more.

Sanjuro

I'll admit that you buying a Bills jersey pre-Brady shows that you're one of the many converts to the Pats after 2001.

This...this makes no sense. It's okay. You can stop pretending. You've only been a Bills fan for a short time since they've finally changed their uniform to something reasonable.

7 hours? Were you going 200 miles an hour?

It's a little more than seven hours, but close. Montreal is about four and a half.

eznark

Banned
How much will he command on the market? Garcon, Jennings, Moss in the slot...I like that. I like that a lot.

Franchise tag is around $10m so I assume like $12m? Brandon Marshall's contract plus market inflation. Depends on how scared teams are of his injuries. I could also see him signing a long term deal with a massive signing bonus but per year dollars lower than the tag number because of injury concerns. It'll be interesting.

Between Jennings, Welker and Wallace the market might go goofy if one of them signs early for a bunch. Like it matters to Washington though. They'll get the guy they want.

eznark

Banned
7 hours? Were you going 200 miles an hour?

It's only like 550 miles. The bulk of that is through the barren wastelands of Western Massachusetts where you can go 100. I did get a ticket in New York though going 85 which annoyed the piss out of me. It was like 4:30 in the morning. Leave me alone. Terrible way to start a bachelor party.

Sanjuro

It's only like 550 miles. The bulk of that is through the barren wastelands of Western Massachusetts where you can go 100. I did get a ticket in New York though going 85 which annoyed the piss out of me. It was like 4:30 in the morning. Leave me alone. Terrible way to start a bachelor party.

Nice. Bachelor parties in Canada are incredibly fun. I need to get my ass a a fucking passport someday, it's bullshit. I miss the days of crossing the border with nothing more than a license and a hand full of singles.

eznark

Banned
Nice. Bachelor parties in Canada are incredibly fun. I need to get my ass a a fucking passport someday, it's bullshit. I miss the days of crossing the border with nothing more than a license and a hand full of singles.

Yeah, we went up for my bachelor party and it was also the WBC so it was doubly awesome.

Franchise tag is around $10m so I assume like $12m? Brandon Marshall's contract plus market inflation. Depends on how scared teams are of his injuries. I could also see him signing a long term deal with a massive signing bonus but per year dollars lower than the tag number because of injury concerns. It'll be interesting.

Between Jennings, Welker and Wallace the market might go goofy if one of them signs early for a bunch. Like it matters to Washington though. They'll get the guy they want.

Man we pay Josh Morgan that much. Hopefully we can just cut him loose and pick up Jennings, but otherwise we're screwed cap wise because we "abused the system" during the lockout. We've got to pay Fred Davis also, so it probably won't happen.

I could see the Panthers overpaying for his services.

Who are the defensive free agents next year?

SonnyBoy

I'm in total agreement that the Redskins need someone who can compliment Garcon. I think the questions about his ability to be a #1 WR for us have been answered. However, we still have bounty-gate to deal with. IMO, the following positions need to be addressed in the off-season.

Safety - Do we give Tanard a chance to come back? We need a competent backup plan, behind him. Merriwewather, he's back. But do we draft someone to back him up? I'd say yes.

Corner - Hall, he has to restructure. I'm fine keeping him for cheaper. We have some young corners in the stable, one of which we stole last year. I can't remeber his name but he went undrafted because of an injury and we got him. He's on IR and I'd suspect he'll make some noise next year.

MLB - London, he won't last forever. We need to get the best young MLB we can via the draft.

Dline - I love Cofield but we need a dominant linemen. That's what anchors the 3-4.

Oline - RT needs an upgrade. But we have plenty that we have drafted, Mike seems happy with them. Maybe we have who we need...

TE - Do we resign Fred? What will he command? He's not an elite TE, yet and will he ever be?

WR - Josh Morgan is our leading second WR. If we were to acquire Jennings, I believe it'd be Garcon, Jennings and then Josh. However... I doubt they'll do this. I suspect that Hankerson is being given the chance to solidfy his position. Moss, he has earned his spot on this team for at least 1-2 more seasons. Garcon, Morgan, Hank, Moss, Robinson... They've been fine this year. They were fine without Garcon, now they're amazing with him. Eh... I think we are fine.

I also factor in that, this is the first year in this new offense. Not only a new offense but a new QB. How much better can the current WR corp be with...

1. An offseason of practice
2. Familiarity with the QB
3. RGIII's growth and maturation into the second year.

Everyone says that this offense will get figure out, that RGIII will struggle. I doubt it, his work ethic will not allow that. With an off-season and a years worth of experience, he'll continue to mature in the traditional pro-style offense. And we saw that Kyle obviously can adapt this offense to whatever it needs to be.

Man we pay Josh Morgan that much. Hopefully we can just cut him loose and pick up Jennings

I'd rather keep the continuity that we have and not turn this into the free-agent carousel of years past. We gotta give guys some time to adapt and truly learn the system. He's made some great catches. His YAC is great. He fights for yardage. His run blocking is amazing. No, he's not going anywhere.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Yeah, we went up for my bachelor party and it was also the WBC so it was doubly awesome.

Just for anyone else planning to go up to Canada for a bachelor party I would definitely recommend Montreal over Toronto.

krzy123

Man we pay Josh Morgan that much. Hopefully we can just cut him loose and pick up Jennings, but otherwise we're screwed cap wise because we "abused the system" during the lockout. We've got to pay Fred Davis also, so it probably won't happen.

I could see the Panthers overpaying for his services.

Who are the defensive free agents next year?

Josh Morgan's deal is 2yrs/11mil, outside of catching the ball, he's really good in the run game. Fred Davis is on a franchise tag + his injury, I wouldnt be suprised if the Skins let him walk.

I'd rather see Robinson step up than keep Moss in the slot.

you always have an excuse as to why the steelers are trash. our run blocking sucks, our pass blocking sucks, our coaches suck, our guys are injured, etc etc etc

steelers are a mediocre team, that's just who they are now. at one point, they were an upper team in the league, but no longer. meanwhile, the 49ers are elite and you'll just have to live with that harson..... you'll have to live in the bay area with that FACT!

Hey you beat the Pats, so you're a-ok in my book!

Niners biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch or something. I might not have enough i's.

As for us Steelers fans, we are holding onto bionic's vision of this season. We will win the next two, probably barely escaping both of them with some crazy bullshit. (We never blow out anyone.) We will get into the playoffs as the 6th seed, on a 2 game winning streak, and then we go on an epic run to win it all.

Edit: By the way, bionic, I know you say playing the lottery is a fool's game, but if this all happens I suggest you play the PowerBall, the Mega Millions and anything else you can get a ticket for the week after the SB.

I'm in total agreement that the Redskins need someone who can compliment Garcon. I think the questions about his ability to be a #1 WR for us have been answered. However, we still have bounty-gate to deal with. IMO, the following positions need to be addressed in the off-season.

Safety - Do we give Tanard a chance to come back? We need a competent backup plan, behind him. Merriwewather, he's back. But do we draft someone to back him up? I'd say yes.

I think you have too much there not to give it another shot, but hopefully Meriweather rehabs well.

Corner - Hall, he has to restructure. I'm fine keeping him for cheaper. We have some young corners in the stable, one of which we stole last year. I can't remeber his name but he went undrafted because of an injury and we got him. He's on IR and I'd suspect he'll make some noise next year.

Agreed. I don't really like grabbing corners in free agency anyway, guys develop in a system, work well with it, go elsewhere and fall off.

MLB - London, he won't last forever. We need to get the best young MLB we can via the draft.

I think he's good for another year. I'd actually leave this position alone as far as this off-season and address it when our bounty gate woes are over the following free agency.

Dline - I love Cofield but we need a dominant linemen. That's what anchors the 3-4.

Agreed. I like DE/Lineman for our top draft picks this off-season, or as a number 1 free agency priority.

Oline - RT needs an upgrade. But we have plenty that we have drafted, Mike seems happy with them. Maybe we have who we need...

Another place where you can get burned in FA. I'd stick with what we have.

TE - Do we resign Fred? What will he command? He's not an elite TE, yet and will he ever be?

Its going to depend on his market value. We can't invest too much but I definitely want him back. I hate Paulsen.

WR - Josh Morgan is our leading second WR. If we were to acquire Jennings, I believe it'd be Garcon, Jennings and then Josh. However... I doubt they'll do this. I suspect that Hankerson is being given the chance to solidfy his position. Moss, he has earned his spot on this team for at least 1-2 more seasons. Garcon, Morgan, Hank, Moss, Robinson... They've been fine this year. They were fine without Garcon, now they're amazing with him. Eh... I think we are fine.

I also factor in that, this is the first year in this new offense. Not only a new offense but a new QB. How much better can the current WR corp be with...

1. An offseason of practice
2. Familiarity with the QB
3. RGIII's growth and maturation into the second year.

Everyone says that this offense will get figure out, that RGIII will struggle. I doubt it, his work ethic will not allow that. With an off-season and a years worth of experience, he'll continue to mature in the traditional pro-style offense. And we saw that Kyle obviously can adapt this offense to whatever it needs to be.

I'd rather keep the continuity that we have and not turn this into the free-agent carousel of years past. We gotta give guys some time to adapt and truly learn the system. He's made some great catches. His YAC is great. He fights for yardage. His run blocking is amazing. No, he's not going anywhere.

Not a Morgan fan personally. Want him replaced but I see what you're saying and agree with a lot of it.

I do like Robinson in the slot but I think Moss has been too surehanded in the passing game to drop.

eznark

Banned
Just for anyone else planning to go up to Canada for a bachelor party I would definitely recommend Montreal over Toronto.

Having done both, I totally agree. We went to Montreal for my buddies bachelor party the year before mine. And I wanted to go to the World Baseball Classic.

jmdajr

So he's no longer elite? That was short

Trying to think what game things crashing down.

I know after the Texans loss they came back strong, but then the wheels just came flying off.

edit: Looks like they haven't bounced back since that Steelers loss.

Ravens have been lucky all season. It's finally coming back to haunt them.

2 more games and the collapse is complete!

The collapse began and ended in Houston; we've collapsed, no further can we fall. All we can do is field the shambles of the remaining team and hope not to be embarassed. But we've been embarassed for 3 straight weeks now.

Top Bottom