• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

Godslay

Banned
I want Tavon Austin to come to Denver. He would be a perfect fit to replace/upgrade Stokley. He's small, but goddamn if he isn't dynamic.

Sanjuro

Get your Kleenex ready. No way he comes back. He is going to leave and get paid. I think only Brady and Pats fans want him to stay. Bellicheat has gone out of his way to groom the other guys to replace him.

There is still a chance he signs. I honestly can't think of many teams willing to pay his price without hesitation. Well...maybe the Jets, but still.

bionic77

There is still a chance he signs. I honestly can't think of many teams willing to pay his price without hesitation. Well...maybe the Jets, but still.
He would be a great for for PeyPey. And the Jets are the obvious choice though they can't afford it.

Any team looking for a possession receiver is most certainly going to offer more than the Pats.

Face facts, your team does not like him. He is not long for your team.

So which coaches are done for?

NFC

Andy Reid - time is done in Philly
Ron Rivera - I think Jerry Richardson want to win now. I suspect he wants a coach who can make that happen.
Jim Schwartz - dude is a major douchebag but last year's 10-6 might have won him another season
Lovie Smith - if the Bears miss the playoffs, I think he's done
Ken Whisenhunt - maybe he's a probable at this point. He's got to be coming to the end of the line.

AFC
Rex Ryan - maybe he holds on for one more year, but his schtick isn't working in the Big Apple any more
Chan Gailey - a decent enough OC but he's not a HC
Norv Turner - a great OC who has been a horrible HC. Can't see him ever getting another HC job.
Romeo Crennel - lol
Pat Shurmur - he may have done enough over the past couple of weeks to hold onto that job, but with a regime change normally comes a HC change
Mike Munchak - like Richardson, Bud Adams doesn't like losing. Munchak might keep his job for another season but I suspect a quick trigger finger
Mike Mularkey - it's only his first season, but the Jags are horrible (so bad that Gata insists he's squickened to the Pats)
No way pat keeps his job, even if he some way wins out

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So which coaches are done for?

NFC

Andy Reid - time is done in Philly
Ron Rivera - I think Jerry Richardson want to win now. I suspect he wants a coach who can make that happen.
Jim Schwartz - dude is a major douchebag but last year's 10-6 might have won him another season
Lovie Smith - if the Bears miss the playoffs, I think he's done
Ken Whisenhunt - maybe he's a probable at this point. He's got to be coming to the end of the line.

AFC
Rex Ryan - maybe he holds on for one more year, but his schtick isn't working in the Big Apple any more
Chan Gailey - a decent enough OC but he's not a HC
Norv Turner - a great OC who has been a horrible HC. Can't see him ever getting another HC job.
Romeo Crennel - lol
Pat Shurmur - he may have done enough over the past couple of weeks to hold onto that job, but with a regime change normally comes a HC change
Mike Munchak - like Richardson, Bud Adams doesn't like losing. Munchak might keep his job for another season but I suspect a quick trigger finger
Mike Mularkey - it's only his first season, but the Jags are horrible (so bad that Gata insists he's squickened to the Pats)

Which is why it's amazing to me that it's a given that Saban would go to the Browns of all teams. I get that there's a connection but several of these future openings are vastly better than the Browns.

Godslay

Banned
He would be a great for for PeyPey. And the Jets are the obvious choice though they can't afford it.

Any team looking for a possession receiver is most certainly going to offer more than the Pats.

Face facts, your team does not like him. He is not long for your team.

This is why I want Austin. He would be perfect for this offense, and we don't have to pay him like Welker will get paid.

The one with Eli or the one with some not so good QBs? Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally giving up, but that's mostly b/c they have to keep him next year anyway.

As far as draft history, at some point you just have to fix a problem. Devaney didn't believe in drafting WRs high and he never found a good one. They need a plug in starter on the OL. The defense really just needs depth and a good free safety. Hopefully Jenkins gets better and Johnson can slide in to full time slot duty

Here it is: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...tml_dce0b7ce-bbe7-5954-a9dd-f2069cc954b1.html

Not as bad as expected. He certainly doesn't deserve the money he is getting, but honestly I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for a lot less money if the 2014 QB draft class is as unpromising as this one.

I'd say we need at least one more linebacker too. Big fan of Jenkins though. Has the raw skills to be a ballhawk

Here it is: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...tml_dce0b7ce-bbe7-5954-a9dd-f2069cc954b1.html

Not as bad as expected. He certainly doesn't deserve the money he is getting, but honestly I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for a lot less money if the 2014 QB draft class is as unpromising as this one.

I'd say we need at least one more linebacker too. Big fan of Jenkins though. Has the raw skills to be a ballhawk

Homer: Look, look I got my invitations back from the printers.

Lisa: "Come to Homer's B.B.B.Q. The extra B is for B.Y.O.B.B." What's that extra B for?

Homer: That's a typo.

Godslay

Banned
It's totally worth it to take out loans for nursing, engineering, or accounting.

Go do it!

School is good, do it!

Unless its a for-profit university. Then the odds are not so good.

Both of these are the correct answer. You can't go wrong with STEM. If you want to save money go to JuCo first, then to a four year school. It usually works out better if the schools you pick work together, makes it easier to 'align' classes for a particular degree.

Stafford loan.

Yes.

Also jak once you are done with your degree, you have a 6 month grace period, where you don't have a payment. After that you can have it based on your income if you can't make the full payment. It's pretty flexible now.

squicken

I like Jenkins too. If he didn't have all the personal issues he would have been a top 15 pick, so that's really the wildcard for him. Hopefully he settles down. The suspension was worrying

I don't really think Lauranitis is a true 4-3 MLB. I think he'd be better as a Will. He's the only player in the NFL to take every defensive snap this year, and he's fine in coverage and as a blitzer. Not great, but a solid guy for that role. Run and hit player

What they need is a bigger MLB that can help with the run. Take him off the field on 3rd down, but someone that can shed blocks and stuff runs. Luckily that's not a premium player and can be found later in the draft. I don't know of any stud safeties, but that's really the only position that they should absolutely address early on the defensive side

WedgeX

Banned
Im going for welding :p

Also i'll def have to look into the stafford loan thingy. The program will cost about 6500 then i'd have to pay to get certified.

A few of my friends have gone the same route. Seems to be good money involved, although some have gone crazy with their co-workers. But that certainly can just be the particular shops they worked in. Good luck!

Godslay

Banned

Also i'll def have to look into the stafford loan thingy. The program will cost about 6500 then i'd have to pay to get certified.

Have you looked into a pipefitter's union? I know unions get a bad rap, but I have a relative that is a pipefitter (orbital welder), and the union provided all his training. He makes a pretty good living.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I think I would rather be an electrician...my brother has made really good money installing ridiculously expensive hospital equipment in various parts of the US/Canada.

The whole hurting your vision thing would turn me off from welding! But despite all that, if you want to weld, I won't discourage it!

Have you looked into a pipefitter's union? I know unions get a bad rap, but I have a relative that is a pipefitter (orbital welder), and the union provided all his training. He makes a pretty good living.

My dad was a pipefitter (I'm the lazy accountant in a family of tradesmen) and he made a fantastic living doing some sort of specialized arc welding before moving on and up into foreman and eventually as a plant maintenance manager for Miller Brewing.

WedgeX

Banned

The boilermaker's union did the same for a good friend. They're good options.

Godslay

Banned
The boilermaker's union did the same for a good friend. They're good options.

I agree. The only downside to it from what I have seen is that jobs move around. For example, he worked in Virginia for a couple years, once that project was done, he moved to Oregon, then to Colorado, etc. I'm not sure how true that is for different unions, or even different jobs in the same union. YMMV.

jakncoke

Banned
good on ya!

I'm heading back to school @ 30... at least you are still young!
I feel old at 24 though
I havent really looked into any unions, I have looked into a place called Lincoln Electric because my exs mom was a teller and she had customers that'd bring in 5 digit bonus checks and I always hear how they make fat loot there.

WedgeX

Banned
I agree. The only downside to it from what I have seen is that jobs move around. For example, he worked in Virginia for a couple years, once that project was done, he moved to Oregon, then to Colorado, etc. I'm not sure how true that is for different unions, or even different jobs in the same union. YMMV.

Same problem for my friend. His union kept the jobs regional, so he stayed in Michigan and upper Indiana most of the time, but he was in places for a few weeks or months at time. But yeah this isn't all unions, or all positions.

Only Eznark is allowed to slander me, feudal serf!

I can't wait till I'm 2nd in charge of Packers Age :(

Anyway...
1. Get in better shape
2. Get a better job
3. Improve skills (programming, videography)
4. Read 24 books
5. Finish my book

Pretty sure you can do all those in Texas. Sounds like it's settled then! Buckethead is moving to Htown and Packers Age grows ever stronger in the energy capital of the world.

Do you already have a good list of books picked out? I want to try and read one book a month but so far i only have Enders Game and Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku. Need more ideas!

So far my list is pretty small

1) read a book a month
2) get joocy
3) perform a 360 dunk and send the video clip to greg. Capture greg crying on my iphone and post it to NFL-GAF
4) Get into a Petroleum Engineering program in any of the Texas schools that offer it(preferably UT Austin)

So I've owned it since release and beat the coop with a buddy but I haven't gotten around to playing Portal 2 single player until now. Just reached Chapter 7. Boy I should have moved this up the backlog a long time ago.:D

LJ11

I want Tavon Austin to come to Denver. He would be a perfect fit to replace/upgrade Stokley. He's small, but goddamn if he isn't dynamic.

He's one of the best talents in the draft, I don't know how he isn't a top 15 pick. In what world can a guy do what he does and not go high? Don't want to live in it that world!

Stop and starts on a dime, eludes defenders while maintaining speed, it's just insane how he turns the corner and accelerates by everyone. Fuck size, just give him the damn ball.

Godslay

Banned
Do you already have a good list of books picked out? I want to try and read one book a month but so far i only have Enders Game and Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku. Need more ideas!

I know they get a lot of mileage on GAF, but Snow Crash and Hyperion.

The Alchemist is a personal favorite of mine as well.

He's one of the best talents in the draft, I don't know how he isn't a top 15 pick. In what world can a guy do what he does and not go high? Don't want to live in it that world!

Stop and starts on a dime, eludes defenders while maintaining speed, it's just insane how he turns the corner and accelerates by everyone. Fuck size, just give him the damn ball.

Everything I've read has him dropping because of his size. I don't really care about that though, like you said just give him the ball and let him work. The more I think about it though, I could see Denver working Holliday into a similar position. But he is significantly smaller, and not nearly as talented at Austin imo.

Top Bottom