• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Any of you doing new years resolutions/goals?

Same boring stuff most people do. I plan to drop this weight for good. I definitely need to stick to this the older I get the worse it definitely will become for me.

Football related I am going to do everything possible to FINALLY see my first Browns game in Cleveland.

Getting shanked in Cleveland is optional

Wrayfield

Sadly not, but Miami sounds pretty nice right about now. I've only been there once actually, but I did see the Dolphins play the Bengals while I was down there. It was the year they went 1-15 so tickets near the 50 were about $25...

I paid $30 for Falcons@Eagles this year (was in the area). Amazingly cheap to watch some NFL games!

Edit: That 1-15 season... I am still suffering from it.

eznark

Banned
Seahawks rocking the 1:1 aspect ratio.

By the way, you still enjoying your WiiU? I just got one yesterday and the minute I played a level of Mario in bed I was in love.

It's a Christmas gift so I haven't even gotten it yet. I'm not going home til New Years so it'll still be another week. (I had totally forgotten about it though, as has the rest of the world it seems)

Any of you doing new years resolutions/goals?
My goal for 2013 is, as it is every single year, to read Gravity's Rainbow. It's never going to happen.

It's a Christmas gift so I haven't even gotten it yet. I'm not going home til New Years so it'll still be another week. (I had totally forgotten about it though, as has the rest of the world it seems)
Gotcha. Mine was supposed to be a Christmas gift... It's pretty cool, honestly a lot better first impression than I expected. The interface is as slow as advertised, though.

eznark said:
. (I had totally forgotten about it though, as has the rest of the world it seems)
Once you get past ZombiU and NSMBU, it's hard to blame folks. The rest of the launch is full of ports of already existing games so not much that's enticing at the moment. Still, no regrets. ZombiU was worth the price of the launch to me and Rayman will be here soon enough.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, there is honestly a lot on the horizon that I am looking forward to and the hardware seems rad. Just seems like not a lot of people give a fuck.

I can't wait for that Lego City game!

It seems like all launches start out slow now. There were so many gloom and doom threads about the 3DS when it came out. I have no doubt at all that the WiiU will do huge numbers by the end of the next gen. Once we get a new 2D Zelda it is going to blow up big time.

Once you get past ZombiU and NSMBU, it's hard to blame folks. The rest of the launch is full of ports of already existing games so not much that's enticing at the moment. Still, no regrets. ZombiU was worth the price of the launch to me and Rayman will be here soon enough.
My wife said she wanted to buy me two more games since Target was doing buy two get one free but the only ones she could find were Mario and ZombiU... So yeah, not the best launch lineup but I knew what to expect. I'm in it for the long haul.

The Rayman demo was the first thing I played on it. I was very impressed.

eznark

Banned
I think I am actually sold on ZombiU. I hate horror games but it sounds like it does enough cool stuff with the hardware that I'll need to check it out.

I'm looking forward to breaking it out on New Years. My parents have a monster party for the Rose Bowl every year (150ish people) so it'll be fun to see how some of those folks react to the new Neeeentendo.

Wrayfield

Yeah, there is honestly a lot on the horizon that I am looking forward to and the hardware seems rad. Just seems like not a lot of people give a fuck.

I can't wait for that Lego City game!

Heard good things about it from some old work buddies. They are usually quite skeptical about their games, but this one seems to be nice.

The launch line-up is a joke though. They have to be careful else they lose all momentum with the new hardware.

My first impression was also much better than the reviews I read about it. The OS is slow as fuck though but the browser wonderfully fast (I set up my FF teams with it on a big TV screen and it was really comfortable).

eznark

Banned
How is the new update? Did it speed up load times and the like? That's my one huge concern. It sounds like they nailed multitasking even better than on the Vita but that it reacts super slow. That patch was supposed to fix it.

eznark said:
How is the new update? Did it speed up load times and the like? That's my one huge concern.
Nope. It was more a stability update more than anything. Iwata just recently announced they are working on another update to help speed up app load times and general OS functionality though I didn't see a time frame on it. It's sorely needed. It's really the only fundamental complaint I have with the system (along with the battery life issues on the gamepad itself. The thing desperately needs a better battery).

eznark said:
I think I am actually sold on ZombiU. I hate horror games but it sounds like it does enough cool stuff with the hardware that I'll need to check it out.
I'm a huge survival horror fan and there's such a distinct LACK of those types of games anymore (all of the old franchises have moved towards Call of Duty action rides) that I couldn't say no. If you dig that type of resource management/high tension atmosphere - it will click with you.

How is the new update? Did it speed up load times and the like? That's my one huge concern. It sounds like they nailed multitasking even better than on the Vita but that it reacts super slow. That patch was supposed to fix it.

It seems like it still takes the same amount of time to start up and then boot up a game. That is really all I have done with it so far though. I meant to check out TVii yesterday but I have been crazy busy lately.

eznark

Banned
Nope. It was more a stability updater more than anything. Iwata just recently announced they are working on another update to help speed up app load times and general OS functionality though I didn't see a time frame on it. It's sorely needed. It's really the only fundamental complaint I have with the system (along with the battery life issues on the gamepad itself. The thing desperately needs a better battery).

Yeah I am watching this Giant Bomb video of Klepek setting up tvii and wow, that is some slow ass load times.

Wrayfield

I thought a patch came out this week?

My bad, I haven't turned the system on since a week after launch (we only have Nintendoland). Didn't realise they had another update. It would be great if I could watch Gamepass through that browser, that's an update I'd love.

Nope. It was more a stability updater more than anything. Iwata just recently announced they are working on another update to help speed up app load times and general OS functionality though I didn't see a time frame on it. It's sorely needed. It's really the only fundamental complaint I have with the system (along with the battery life issues on the gamepad itself. The thing desperately needs a better battery).
Yeah, I'm already considering picking up an extra charger for the gamepad to keep in the bedroom since I don't want to keep taking the other one out of the dock. I had a hard freeze yesterday as well, I clicked on the Daily Log and it just sat there for about 5 or 10 minutes before I gave up and turned it off. I actually had to unplug the thing to get it to power off...

But yes, other than that stuff my only complaint so far is the slow OS. It's really kind of a downer when you're used to a fast phone and computer.

The_Darkest_Red said:
But yes, other than that stuff my only complaint so far is the slow OS. It's really kind of a downer when you're used to a fast phone and computer.
It really kills my buzz with the Miiverse to be frank. I LOVE the Miiverse setup and the interactivity there but when it takes damn near 30 second to load it up in the middle of a game to post something - it just isn't worth the time. If they can shave that down to something more reasonable they really are onto something with it.

Same goes for the friends list. It should not take damn near 30 seconds of loading to view which of your friends is online.:(

It really kills my buzz with the Miiverse to be frank. I LOVE the Miiverse setup and the interactivity there but when it takes damn near 30 second to load it up in the middle of a game to post something - it just isn't worth the time. If they can shave that down to something more reasonable they really are onto something with it.

Same goes for the friends list. It should not take damn near 30 seconds of loading to view which of your friends is online.:(
Indeed. Everyone complains about how slow and sluggish PSN and XBL are nowadays but they are greased lightning compared to some of the stuff I've seen with the Wii U. I really like the OS itself it's just too slow.

squicken

Mike Florio was on the local radio today. He said Sean Payton is the Eagles top choice at coach next year but he thinks the Saints are going to fuck him over by making him wait until the day his contract actually expires to be a free agent. Florio said he thinks that would be in March, and by then all the teams will have hired new coaches already. He thinks the Eagles are going to wind up with Chip Kelley, which seems to be the overwhelming consensus. He also thinks the Browns will hire McD.

It's weird b/c Jason Cole had Saban to Browns as a real rumor. I have no doubt the Saints would make Payton wait, but then I have no doubt that Jerry will wait. Saints will file a tampering charge and some deal will be worked out where NO gets some lost picks back from Dallas

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It's weird b/c Jason Cole had Saban to Browns as a real rumor. I have no doubt the Saints would make Payton wait, but then I have no doubt that Jerry will wait. Saints will file a tampering charge and some deal will be worked out where NO gets some lost picks back from Dallas

For what it's worth Trent Richardson was asked about the Saban and rumours and doesn't believe any of it.

Our future is Josh McDaniels. And on that day Dutch will spit on me and hate me forever. :(

squicken

For what it's worth Trent Richardson was asked about the Saban and rumours and doesn't believe any of it.

Our future is Josh McDaniels. And on that day Dutch will spit on me and hate me forever. :(

Everyone in Denver hates him. Everyone in STL hates him. The only place he has succeed is with Brady and Belichick. How is he a candidate?

I guess Jerry could just keep Garret round and then dump him if Payton does become available. The NFL draft is on april 25th this year so he would have like a month to prepare, I have no idea how long a coach would need to get ready for something like that. I wish I could remember who it was yesterday on cbsradio that said Saban was 100% staying in Alabama but I agree that he will stay. To much risk in going to the pros. If he leaves the top job in college and then fails in the pros again he would get stuck with a lesser college job.

eznark

Banned

Players don't know shit about shit, rookies even more so. Rodgers had zero idea that the QB coach he has right now was even in the running for the position, and that's basically his personal coach!

bionic77

It sucks missing out on launches.

I have now missed out on the Vita, 3DS and WiiU launch.

Speaking of the WiiU, how much do you guys use the feature where you can play games on the controller and watching something else on the tv? I can see that being my favorite part of the console.

Short response:

Browns.

I wonder how Browns fans will react to another guy from the Cheats coaching tree. Crennel and Mangenious have already both failed in Cleveland, along with the cheat himself.

It sucks missing out on launches.

I have now missed out on the Vita, 3DS and WiiU launch.

Speaking of the WiiU, how much do you guys use the feature where you can play games on the controller and watching something else on the tv? I can see that being my favorite part of the console.

Just once to check it out. I most play NG3 on my WiiU and you need a pro controller for that. ZombieU also needs the screen for info so you cant play it on the gamepad I dont think.

squicken

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/21/bills-have-10-year-lease-with-seven-year-out/

Bills staying in BUF for another 7 years, at least

I guess Jerry could just keep Garret round and then dump him if Payton does become available. The NFL draft is on april 25th this year so he would have like a month to prepare, I have no idea how long a coach would need to get ready for something like that. I wish I could remember who it was yesterday on cbsradio that said Saban was 100% staying in Alabama but I agree that he will stay. To much risk in going to the pros. If he leaves the top job in college and then fails in the pros again he would get stuck with a lesser college job.

I didn't see slo's post about Payton and NO needing a new coach too. That's a good point, though I'm sure Benson is vindictive enough to figure out a way to hold him to the fire

All personnel guys have contracts that run through the draft. When teams fire coaches and GMs, it's still the outgoing personnel guys that run the following draft. With Dallas it wouldn't matter as much with Jerry and his son being so involved with that.

I just don't see why Saban stays at Bama. What does he have left to prove? He'll win another title and be one of the best college coaches ever. You've got to think he wants that last shot at building a winner in the pros, and if Haslam is really offering $10m a year, it's hard to turn that down

eznark

Banned
Dude, the Vita is a must buy, especially for a guy like you who I am sure spends time with portables.

Also, hat tip. Now that my son is a couple months old and ole enough to cause a ruckus, I can see why two kids is exponentially harder than one. I actually have to do stuff now! Bullshit.

TheFatOne

I still can't believe all it takes is for McDaniels to come back to NE for a year, and all is forgiven. How he gets another shot at a HC gig is amazing. He seems like one of those good coordinators bad head coach.

I still can't believe all it takes is for McDaniels to come back to NE for a year, and all is forgiven. How he gets another shot at a HC gig is amazing. He seems like one of those good coordinators bad head coach.

I think people are willing to give him another chance because a lot of the problems he had were due to having way to much power. If he is just a HC, and there is a football guy above him maybe it could work better.

Norv Turner and Wade Phillips fit this description and they've had multiple HC jobs.

squicken

Are we sure he's a good coordinator? Did New England's offense fall apart w/o him?

eznark

Banned

Guy is 36 years old. You really thought he'd never have another shot? And he was talked about last year too while he was OC in St. Louis.

Slo

Dude, the Vita is a must buy, especially for a guy like you who I am sure spends time with portables.

Also, hat tip. Now that my son is a couple months old and ole enough to cause a ruckus, I can see why two kids is exponentially harder than one. I actually have to do stuff now! Bullshit.

You keep saying shit like this and your team of nannies are going to unionize.

Coming their way
Steelers cornerback Keenan Lewis is one of the most targeted cornerbacks in the NFL this year. A list of the most-targeted corners in the league and the stats against them:

Rank, player, team TA REC TD

1. Sean Smith, Miami 106 58 6
T2. Keenan Lewis, Steelers 100 51 3
T2. Cortland Finnegan, St. Louis 100 73 0
4. Cary Williams, Baltimore 99 65 6
5. DeAngelo Hall, Washington 97 67 3

Source: ProFootballFocus

Keenan Lewis having a great season. I'm also surprised to see Finnegan's numbers.

Saban and McDbag both took HC jobs, made the teams worse, and then left/got fired. I can't imagine a world where they are attractive as candidates.

I've only owned it for a day so obviously I've still got plenty to see but the feature of playing on the gamepad is what I like the most about it so far. I was sitting upstairs in bed with the Wii U downstairs turned off and I turned on the gamepad right there to play some Mario right after going onto the store to download a demo in the background. It's the full console experience which just seems incredibly cool to me since I'm a big fan of handhelds anyway and I play them around the house a lot.

And since it isn't made to be portable you don't have to compromise anything in terms of controls and the screen is bigger than what you'd get with a portable. I had the 3DS turned on right beside it and the quality level is not even comparable (in terms of resolution, not obvious stuff like graphical quality).

Also, the Vita is fantastic.

Rank, player, team TA REC TD

1. Sean Smith, Miami 106 58 6
Not bad I suppose but I'd like to see that TD number come down.

bionic77 said:
Speaking of the WiiU, how much do you guys use the feature where you can play games on the controller and watching something else on the tv?
Often but mainly for my 6 year old. She loves NSMBU so she will play that on the gamepad while I'm watching something on TV. I don't use it much personally.

cajunator

Banned
If they did that wouldn't they also be waiting to hire their next coach until after all the top candidates have been swooped up?

Or are the going to have two coaches on the payroll for a bit. Fucking cajun shitbags. :jnc

First off, what the fuck?
Secondly, NEW ORLEANS IS NOT CAJUN.

TheFatOne

Guy is 36 years old. You really thought he'd never have another shot? And he was talked about last year too while he was OC in St. Louis.

Not this soon. I'm still not convinced he is a great coordinator yet.
Are we sure he's a good coordinator? Did New England's offense fall apart w/o him?

Yea I'm not sure he is a great OC yet. Pats are great on offense this year. Better than last season at least, but I think that has more to do with Brady/Belichick than McDaniels right now.

Edit: Although I will give McDaniels credit for the Pats running game. I think that one part of the Pats offense can be attributed to McDaniels influence.

Top Bottom