• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

Touchdown

Banned
Since my lowly Eagles have been cooked for a while, I've kinda already moved on to the next season in my mind....But wouldn't it be fun to destroy the Giants and Redskins chances on our way out?
Vwc3G.gif

Hammer24

Banned
Freeman is due $8.5m next year, not guaranteed. Just like a lot of teams, I'm sure they'd like to upgrade. But so many guys are middle of the road, that it's hard to find an obvious upgrade. But do you pay that much for middle of the road if it's so easy find? I doubt they cut hm, but he's a FA in 2014 so they'd have to have plan

Well, either you trade him to get something in exchange, or you sign him to a longterm contract which is heavily incentive laden, so he has to earn it.
Letting him become a lame duck would be the worst scenario.

NawidA

Banned
I think you have to stick with Freeman and go incentive laden, he's definitely talented. I don't know what's going on there and why he isn't putting up a 2.5+ TD-TO ratio anymore.

Hammer24

Banned
I don't know what's going on there and why he isn't putting up a 2.5+ TD-TO ratio anymore.

My private theory is a spoiled-kid-complex. He never had to earn anything, as he was brought in by RahRah to be the franchise saving qb without ever having thrown a ball at the pro level. He got a little wary when the Schiano regimen was brought in (weight loss and all), but got complacent in the middle of the season when everything went well.
The guy probably needs his ass kicked on a regular, two-hourly basis. Yes, I´d volunteer for the job if it´d help produce.

NawidA

Banned
My private theory is a spoiled-kid-complex. He never had to earn anything, as he was brought in by RahRah to be the franchise saving qb without ever having thrown a ball at the pro level. He got a little wary when the Schiano regimen was brought in (weight loss and all), but got complacent in the middle of the season when everything went well.
The guy probably needs his ass kicked on a regular, two-hourly basis. Yes, I´d volunteer for the job if it´d help produce.
I wonder if he would do better with the systems SF/SEA/WAS have established.

Since my lowly Eagles have been cooked for a while, I've kinda already moved on to the next season in my mind....But wouldn't it be fun to destroy the Giants and Redskins chances on our way out?

No it would be completely pointless. Only fans of loser franchise worry about shit like playing spoiler. I hope the Eagles lose both games and get better picks in the draft. Better players will help the Eagles way more then stupid moral victories.

NawidA

Banned
No it would be completely pointless. Only fans of loser franchise worry about shit like playing spoiler. I hope the Eagles lose both games and get better picks in the draft. Better players will help the Eagles way more then stupid moral victories.
Hoping your team loses is weak and something only crappy fans of loser franchises do.

You're no fun.

Sorry but there is no fun to have this year. Fun is making the playoffs and actually doing something then. Winning games at the end of the year after being eliminated isnt fun at all.

Hoping your team loses is weak and something only crappy fans of loser franchises do.

You cant be serious. What possible good does it do to win games that dont get you into the playoffs? All the Eagles can do now is worsen their draft pick. I understand you are a fan of a team that wastes all their draft picks, so they dont matter to you, but I am hoping the Eagles will actually draft guys that can help them with those picks.

No it would be completely pointless. Only fans of loser franchises worry about shit like playing spoiler. I hope the Eagles lose both games and get better picks in the draft. Better players will help the Eagles way more then stupid moral victories.

philadelphiaeaglestrophycase.jpg

NawidA

Banned
You cant be serious. What possible good does it do to win games that dont get you into the playoffs?
Winning. Pride. Sure, Super Bowl rings are the ultimate goal but every single win means something as well. People who think that rings are the only thing that matters baffle me.

LOL at a Cowboys fan talking shit. Eagles havent won a SB yet, but the Cowboys wont ever win one again as long as Jerry is alive. I hope you guys make the playoffs and keep Romo and Garret.

The bandwagon is filling up! Not too late, we still have room for more as Tony Romo takes us on our journey to NFL supremacy!

Winning. Pride. Sure, Super Bowl rings are the ultimate goal but every single win means something as well. People who think that rings are the only thing that matters baffle me.

This season is a total fucking loss. If they win 4 games or 6 it wont change that at all. In 1968 going into the final game of the season the Eagles had the worst record and they won their final game that year and wound up picking 3rd. The first pick was a RB named OJ, are you really saying that winning that final game was better then getting OJ? I am not saying rings are all that matters, I am saying they need to do what ever they can to improve and losing the last 2 games will help them going forward more then winning those games will. How can you even argue that?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This season is a total fucking loss. If they win 4 games or 6 it wont change that at all. In 1968 going into the final game of the season the Eagles had the worst record and they won their final game that year and wound up picking 3rd. The first pick was a RB named OJ, are you really saying that winning that final game was better then getting OJ? I am not saying rings are all that matters, I am saying they need to do what ever they can to improve and losing the last 2 games will help them going forward more then winning those games will. How can you even argue that?

Nonsense. You have to play for some sort of pride and momentum going into next season. There is so much talent from picks #1-#200 coming out of college it doesn't matter where you pick if you have a competent GM. Your GM signs defensive backs to $70 Million dollar deals and puts Michael Vick in front of a shitty offensive line.

Enjoy rebuilding for 3 years. If there is any fanbase that deserves it, its Philadelphia.

Hammer24

Banned
I wonder if he would do better with the systems SF/SEA/WAS have established.

I thought so too, especially with Schiano coming in as a college coach with negligible pro experience.
But fact is, there are some severe miscommunications with his WR´s going on. Hard to judge if thats on him, or if those are running the wrong routes.

So if Foles throws like 5 Taints this week are going to be fist pumping after each one? Draft can be a crap shoot, how can you pass up the chance to cheer for your team to ruin two divisional rivals' chances at making the playoffs?

Touchdown

Banned

Trust me there will be no OJ's in this draft coming up lol. And besides we don't have a great need for running backs. I say we can afford another win or 2.
tumblr_mbkali79iv1rpj2y8o4_r1_250.gif

Nonsense. You have to play for some sort of pride and momentum going into next season. There is so much talent from picks #1-#200 coming out of college it doesn't matter where you pick if you have a competent GM. Your GM signs defensive backs to $70 Million dollar deals and puts Michael Vick in front of a shitty offensive line.

Enjoy rebuilding for 3 years. If there is any fanbase that deserves it, its Philadelphia.

My god you are ridiculous. Last year the Eagles won their last 4 games, how did that momentum work out for them this year? I dont even know why I am trying to explain this to you since you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There was not one person that covers football that thought the Nnamdi deal was a bad deal at the time, and the Eagles can cut him this offseason and only owe him $4m. I will let you in on a secret, NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed so teams are never on the hook for the full amount. The Eagles OL was also one of the best last year but they had 4 guys go down with injuries this year, not that I would expect someone like you to know what is going on in the NFL.

So if Foles throws like 5 Taints this week are going to be fist pumping after each one? Draft can be a crap shoot, how can you pass up the chance to cheer for your team to ruin two divisional rivals' chances at making the playoffs?

I think Foles is garbage, so I dont care how he does. Of course I wont be fistbumping when they lose, but my rational mind understands it is better to pick sooner each round rather then later. I am amazed that this is a difficult concept for people. I dont care who wins the SB if it isnt the Eagles. If the Giants win again it wont be any worse then if the Falcons or some other non-Eagles team wins.
Trust me there will be no OJ's in this draft coming up lol. And besides we don't have a great need for running backs. I say we can afford another win or 2.
I am willing to bet you that there will be some hall of famers in this draft. I have no idea why you think there wont be great players, I wasnt talking about RBs specifically. The Eagles need great players at lots of positions, and earlier picks give them a better chance at that.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
My god you are ridiculous. Last year the Eagles won their last 4 games, how did that momentum work out for them this year? I dont even know why I am trying to explain this to you since you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There was not one person that covers football that thought the Nnamdi deal was a bad deal at the time, and the Eagles can cut him this offseason and only owe him $4m. I will let you in on a secret, NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed so teams are never on the hook for the full amount. The Eagles OL was also one of the best last year but they had 4 guys go down with injuries this year, not that I would expect someone like you to know what is going on in the NFL.

I thought the Nnamdi deal was a bad deal because if you know anything about the game of football you know not to spend $60 Million + on defensive backs when your front seven is shit. If you have a strong front 7 they mask the weaknesses of the DBs. You guys did the exact opposite hence why your paper tiger dream team collapsed.

The Lions have had a bad luck, shitty season but we're built for the future and have a core of young players starting with our QB who will keep the team relevant and dangerous in every game we play.

But keep preaching the "lets lose to division rivals for a better draft pick" spiel. Hope you guys draft Matt Barkely with your #5 pick.

I thought the Nnamdi deal was a bad deal because if you know anything about the game of football you know not to spend $60 Million + on defensive backs when your front seven is shit. If you have a strong front 7 they mask the weaknesses of the DBs. You guys did the exact opposite hence why your paper tiger dream team collapsed.

The Lions have had a bad luck, shitty season but we're built for the future and have a core of young players starting with our QB who will keep the team relevant and dangerous in every game we play.

But keep preaching the "lets lose to division rivals for a better draft pick" spiel. Hope you guys draft Matt Barkely with your #5 pick.

Wow. Where to begin. Eagles lead the league in sacks last year, and their DL also had the most sacks. Sorry they didnt have anyone stomping on guys to get your attention. I would think you could do a better job spotting shit since you are a fan of such a shitty team. It is amazing that you are talking about another team collapsing, since the Lions are collapsing so spectacularly. No way do the Eagles draft Barkely, none of the rumored coaching hires would want anything to do with him. Cant wait to see who the Lions draft in a few years once they realize that Stafford isnt the guy. Enjoy your 1 playoff appearance every 10 years.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Wow. Where to begin. Eagles lead the league in sacks last year, and their DL also had the most sacks. Sorry they didnt have anyone stomping on guys to get your attention. I would think you could do a better job spotting shit since you are a fan of such a shitty team. It is amazing that you are talking about another team collapsing, since the Lions are collapsing so spectacularly. No way do the Eagles draft Barkely, none of the rumored coaching hires would want anything to do with him. Cant wait to see who the Lions draft in a few years once they realize that Stafford isnt the guy. Enjoy your 1 playoff appearance every 10 years.

Sacks are not indicative of total defensive line/linebacker play. They're nice to have, but do not tell the whole story. You can have guys getting 3 sacks in garbage time like Jason Babin did numerous times and it doesn't mean shit. Just a quick search put you guys in the bottom of the league in turnovers while the Lions were 4th. One of the reasons we didn't live up to our previous 10-6 playoff team. We'll be back healthy and reloaded next year so I ain't even mad.

Whether you guys draft Barkely or go with a mediocre free agent QB this offseason doesn't matter because your now in the group of teams who will be searching for their QB of the future and will be drafting high in the 2014 draft because your shit at the QB position. Stafford is the real deal so we're set for a long time.

eznark

Banned
A few of us said this last year with the Tebow craze, it got started at the college level for this very reason. Teams with inferior talent needed some kind of competitive advantage. Basically put their good athletes in space and put an athlete at QB to try and gain a numbers advantage because they couldn't win one on one

You only want a one on one in football when you have the superior athlete(s).

Teams haven't utilized complex option plays either, it's simple stuff, but teams are poorly coach and players lack discipline. No one is running a read with an unblocked DT, because your QB will likely be killed when he doesn't read the play fast enough.

I think it could work against the Bills. Their dline was about as clueless as Ive ever seen against the option last week.

cajunator

Banned
Sorry but there is no fun to have this year. Fun is making the playoffs and actually doing something then. Winning games at the end of the year after being eliminated isnt fun at all.

You cant be serious. What possible good does it do to win games that dont get you into the playoffs? All the Eagles can do now is worsen their draft pick. I understand you are a fan of a team that wastes all their draft picks, so they dont matter to you, but I am hoping the Eagles will actually draft guys that can help them with those picks.

Yeah it can still be fun. You always should want to see your team win.
My Saints were FUCKED this year by various things, but I will cheer just as hard for them to beatdown the Cowboys on sunday. You better fucking believe it.

squicken

Gotta disagree w/ YH. There's lots of fun to be had being a spoiler at the end of the year. The only time to really want to tank is if a draft is particularly front-loaded, or you are at the very top and some stud is separated from the others. That may end up being the case with Joeckel and some of the pass rushers, but right now no one thinks that.

Seems like Eagles fans should enjoy potentially keeping the Giants out of the playoffs and seeing Foles look better and better

The Saints staring at a potential cap crunch of $16 million when the 2013 league year begins in March.

That number doesn’t include defensive lineman Sedrick Ellis and offensive lineman Jermon Bushrod, both of whom will be free agents and thus have no cap numbers for 2013, yet.

Smith has a base salary of $10.5 million next year, and Vilma is due to earn $6 million.

Complicating matters is that the team-by-team cap isn’t expected to go up much, if at all, from its $120.6 million level in 2013. And if quarterback Drew Brees is looking for an explanation, he should look no farther than his own contract, with a cap number that increases from $10.4 million in 2012 to $17.4 million next year.

It’s almost enough to make a suspended head coach with an expiring contract think about exploring all his options before signing a new deal.

Tuck is probably out, oh damn we might get some Sacks from Tracey tomorrow.. Tuck needs to retire already he's talking about being mentally drain, he wanted to retire last season...

squicken

Tuck is probably out, oh damn we might get some Sacks from Tracey tomorrow.. Tuck needs to retire already he's talking about being mentally drain, he wanted to retire last season...

I see he had a couple of family members die in the offseason. idk. He'd be walking away from $6m if he retired. As someone who will always like him for stomping Brady, I hope he sticks around and gets his money

Gotta disagree w/ YH. There's lots of fun to be had being a spoiler at the end of the year. The only time to really want to tank is if a draft is particularly front-loaded, or you are at the very top and some stud is separated from the others. That may end up being the case with Joeckel and some of the pass rushers, but right now no one thinks that.

Seems like Eagles fans should enjoy potentially keeping the Giants out of the playoffs and seeing Foles look better and better

I just dont see why it would make any difference who wins the SB once it cant be the Eagles. So many people calling up the sports radio out here talking about how we have to keep the Giants out of the playoffs and I dont get it. I want what ever will get the Eagles closer to winning a SB, I really couldnt care less how many SB's the other teams in the division win.

SonnyBoy

Vwc3G.gif

Moral victories cost us draft position and subsequently a few first round picks to move up to get Griffin... I would much rather have loss to the Giants last year and kept the picks.

jakncoke

Banned
Getting a worse spot means you can take whomever you want instead of having to trade your future to move up. Also gives you option to trade down to pick up future picks from some desperate team that won too many to get who they really want.

brentech

Getting a worse spot means you can take whomever you want instead of having to trade your future to move up. Also gives you option to trade down to pick up future picks from some desperate team that won too many to get who they really want.
Wait, so you're saying teams are made up from more than a single great player!? FFUUCKKKK

This is exactly my thought. Maybe there isnt any bigtime cant miss QB this year, but that wont stop desperate teams for at least thinking about trading up to get a guy. I would love for the Eagles to be in a position to have the option to trade down if a team panics on draft day.

Moral victories cost us draft position and subsequently a few first round picks to move up to get Griffin... I would much rather have loss to the Giants last year and kept the picks.
Great point. As bright as the future is for the Skins, and I think they will have this division on lockdown soon, imagine if they had RGIII and all those picks back.

Would someone please explain to me why the Dallas Cowboys would take the NFC East from the Redskins if both teams win this week and Dallas wins in Week 16 against the Redskins? What tiebreaker do they have over the skins? They would have the same division record, same conference record; what advantage do they have?

Redd

Would someone please explain to me why the Dallas Cowboys would take the NFC East from the Redskins if both teams win this week and Dallas wins in Week 16 against the Redskins? What tiebreaker do they have over the skins? They would have the same division record, same conference record; what advantage do they have?

You should know this. More common opponents win record.

Top Bottom