• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

firen

if the niners season sticks to the script, we will lose against seattle. niners have won 2, lost 1 throughout the season (except the 1 tie instead of a loss). beat gb/det, lose to min. beat nyj/buf, lose to giants. beat seahawks/cards, tie rams. beat bears/saints, lose to rams, beat dolphins/pats, lose to seahawks. beat cards/our first playoff opponent, lose in the divisional or nfc championship (depending on if we get the bye). oh well!

Won't happen this time, the losses usually come after defeating a less than stellar opponent. ;) Det (LOL) Buf (...) Cards (Yawn) Saints (Meh). The Pats win has burned the script. Plus, fuck Seattle.

Hammer24

Banned
WTS:
Taco Bell QB, freshly trimmed down, erratic but with clipholding potential.
WTB:
Tim Tebow. Might not win more games, but will help sell tickets to avoid more blackouts, and sell some jerseys.
Straight up trade preferred.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
If the Bengals lose out, the Steelers lose in week 17, and the Jets win out, the Jets are still in the playoffs.

This is madness.

Edit: Nevermind, forgot about the Jets loss to Pitt early in the season.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If the Bengals lose out, the Steelers lose in week 17, and the Jets win out, the Jets are still in the playoffs.

This is madness.
Can't happen. The Bengals play the Steelers next week and the Steelers hold a head-to-head tiebreaker, mathematically eliminating the Jets.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yeah, forgot the Jets lost to the Steelers earlier in the year. I thought the conference record would have been enough to get them in.

Narag

A tie isn't a win, but it's not a loss either. 8-7-1 > 8-8

I'd mentally written them off already. Probably for good reason at that barring this elimination case list is accurate:

Spot #6 - Wildcard

Case 1
Vikings beat the Texans
Case 2
Giants beat the Ravens
Case 3
Buccaneers beat the Rams
Case 4
Bears beat the Cardinals
Case 5
Vikings beat the Packers
Case 6
Bears beat the Lions
Case 7
Giants beat the Eagles
Case 8
Seahawks beat the Rams
Case 9
Redskins beat the Eagles, and
Cowboys beat the Saints
Case 10
Redskins beat the Eagles, and
Cowboys beat the Redskins
Case 11
Cowboys beat the Saints, and
Redskins beat the Cowboys

YES PLEASE.

R97MS.gif

SonnyBoy

Russel Wilson has Skittles Man and RGIII has Mike Shanahan as coach.

Andrew Luck is working with a 1-15 team. Give him some credit.

When the f*** did have having Mike Shanahan as a coach mean sh** on this forum?

And let's stop acting like the Colts were a "real" 1-15 team. They tanked the season and the squad fell apart because they lost a competent (one of the GOAT) QB. Granted, they had a lot of turnover, but we all know that a good QB makes any team better.

On defense the Skins lost Orakpo, Carriker, and both starting safeties before WEEK 3!

On offense, they lost Garcon for 3/4 of the season. Fred Davis, a major fixture of the pass game. RGIII is throwing to Santana Moss. Hankerson. And Josh Morgan who everyone mocked us for signing. I'm sorry but even an over-the-hill Reggie Wayne is better than Moss, Morgan and Hankerson.

Luck has put up good #'s. RGIII has put up good #'s. So has Wilson. But let's stop acting like Luck is playing with a junior varsity squad out there.

And if his OC can't put him in position to not get annihilated every play, then too bad. Don't hold it against Wilson and RGIII that their OC's have crafted offenses around them.

It's not that I don't think Luck is good or deserves consideration because he surely does. But I'm tired of hearing excuses for certain poor stats and the pity party that excuses them.

So, I'm studying in the university library and suddenly this girl runs by me, straight into the bathroom where she starts puking her guts out.

Now, I did notice her before and found her quite attractive, is this a good time to make my move ?

Saturday
Falcons at Lions

Sunday
Raiders at Panthers
Bills at Dolphins
Bengals at Steelers
Patriots at Jaguars
Colts at Chiefs
Saints at Cowboys
Redskins at Eagles
Rams at Buccaneers
Chargers at Jets
Titans at Packers
Vikings at Texans
Browns at Broncos
Bears at Cardinals
Giants at Ravens
49ers at Seahawks

Wes

venison crêpe
Lombardi leaving the NFL Network. Probably because he's coming here.

Fuck everything. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I didn't watch the game last night but seeing the result this morning pleases me. And the added bonus of 4 Sanchez INT's? Well I do say, it appears Christmas has arrived early this year!

Go Dolphins! Beat the Bills!

squicken

WTS:
Taco Bell QB, freshly trimmed down, erratic but with clipholding potential.
WTB:
Tim Tebow. Might not win more games, but will help sell tickets to avoid more blackouts, and sell some jerseys.
Straight up trade preferred.

Wheels have sort of come off the Freeman bus. His numbers all year have sort of seemed crazy for a guy who people had been questioning.

Paraphrasing a quote on heard on that, but it's something like "In baseball stats are the end of the discussion, in football they are just a beginning"

vedderlax11

Neo Member
So, I'm studying in the university library and suddenly this girl runs by me, straight into the bathroom where she starts puking her guts out.

Now, I did notice her before and found her quite attractive, is this a good time to make my move ?

Nah, holding back the puking girl's hair is immediate friend-zone.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Tony Grossi feels pretty confident that Lombardi will take over as GM of the Browns and we will name Josh McDaniels as our head coach...

squicken

the hell at the Dolphins being alive

edit: and the Rams and the Saints!

hahaha Rams need every team ahead of them to lose out. no way that happens. was still a fun season. they got play a couple meaningful December games, which isn't bad off the year they had.

edit: kave_man . . . i'm sorry bro

cajunator

Banned
Saturday
Falcons at Lions - No way the Lions win that game.

Sunday
Raiders at Panthers - Panthers are better than they look.
Bills at Dolphins - Reg-gie Reg-gie.
Bengals at Steelers - No way the Steelers lose again.
Patriots at Jaguars - It would be hilarious if the Jags win, but that impossible.
Colts at Chiefs - Luck.
Saints at Cowboys - Depends on what Saints team shows up but we can win this one.
Redskins at Eagles - watch the script flip, but RGIII is really good.
Rams at Buccaneers Rams beat the niners so...I guess they can beat the Bucs.
Chargers at Jets - Holy shit the Jets are bad.
Titans at Packers - Pack attack.
Vikings at Texans - Texans are pretty good...
Browns at Broncos - Peyton...
Bears at Cardinals - Just for laughs.
Giants at Ravens - Flacco vs Manning...
49ers at Seahawks - stats favor the Seahawks at home, which is why the niners win.

Tony Grossi feels pretty confident that Lombardi will take over as GM of the Browns and we will name Josh McDaniels as our head coach...

Why do you have to steal Josh from us again? What has he ever done to convince people he would be a good HC? He fucked it up in Denver as a HC and he fucked it up as OC when he didn't have Tom Brady/Randy Moss/Gronk/Welker/Hernandez on his team.

Plus I would need a new avatar again.

squicken

Lombardi leaving the NFL Network. Probably because he's coming here.

Fuck everything. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

jesus. well if i know one thing it's lombardi hates weeden . . . and mccoy. maybe they'll trade for mallett

So I guess the Dolphins are in if:

Buffalo at Miami
Miami at New England

Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
Baltimore at Cincinnati
Cleveland at Pittsburgh

?

Wrayfield

bradySTEAMINmad.gif

lol no flag. Right in Hochuli's face too.

Double standard league. Bullshit.

So I guess the Dolphins are in if:

Buffalo at Miami
Miami at New England

Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
Baltimore at Cincinnati
Cleveland at Pittsburgh

?

I dunno, we sucked so much it feels bad to be even remotely in a position for playoffs. Also, can't see us win in Foxboro, as nice as it would be. Buffalo revenge should suffice for this year.

I dunno, we sucked so much it feels bad to be even remotely in a position for playoffs. Also, can't see us win in Foxboro, as nice as it would be. Buffalo revenge should suffice for this year.
Agreed on all counts. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where the Dolphins record is at least two games better (if Carpenter hits some clutch FG's, for example) but that kind of stuff can be said for every team.

Double standard league. Bullshit.
Hochuli's explanation: "There is a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct against the offense, number 12. However, because the offensive player is Tom Brady there is a 15 yard penalty negation effect that must be considered, therefore there is no foul on the play. In addition, I will gift the Patriots with a 50 yard pass interference call as soon as the opportunity arises."

squicken

The lowdown: These are the latest rumblings I’ve heard from NFL – and college – sources concerning the inevitable shake-up in Browns football operations being considered by CEO Joe Banner.

For the record, owner Jimmy Haslam and Banner recently have declined all meaningful interviews regarding the future configuration of their organization. They have pledged to not make any decisions until after the season.

But it is commonly believed that GM Tom Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur will not be back. Heckert, my sources say, knew it the day Banner reported to work in October as Haslam’s CEO. Shurmur surely knows it now, after that coaching debacle against Washington on Sunday.

The Lombardi Factor: Banner has diagramed an organization chart that calls for football operations to report to him. That means Heckert’s position will be replaced by a glorified player personnel director who will work closely with Banner. He may win some battles but ultimately he will have no real authority to establish a vision, pick players or make trades. Banner will set the agenda.

So who would accept these restrictions? Someone who has been out of the league for five years – Mike Lombardi.

The smooth-talking NFL Network analyst has fostered a relationship with Banner since working for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1997-98. Lombardi, who was Bill Belichick’s first lieutenant in Cleveland after GM Ernie Accorsi left in 1992, was not invited by Art Modell to join the Ravens organization in Baltimore.

Former Eagles coach Ray Rhodes rescued Lombardi with a job in 1997. This was a dream opportunity for Lombardi, who was from the Philadelphia area, but it was lost when the Eagles named Tom Modrak director of football operations. There is a story that on Modrak’s first day on the job, he marched into Lombardi’s office still wearing his overcoat and told Lombardi to pack his belongings. That was the third of Lombardi’s four firings from NFL clubs.

Nevertheless, Lombardi maintained a relationship with Banner, who has risen to positions of enormous power with the Eagles and now the Browns.

According to one source in the loop, the only other name associated in NFL circles with the soon-to-be-vacant position with the Browns is Tom Gamble. Gamble is director of player personnel with the San Francisco 49ers and is considered a viable candidate for several general manager positions expected to open in the NFL.

But because the position Banner has created is on a same plane with the job Gamble currently holds in San Francisco, Gamble would not give the Browns’ job a second thought.

Banner effectively has created a position that only Lombardi would accept.

The coaching candidates: Over the years, Lombardi has forged relationships in the agent business. One that Lombardi has maintained is with Jimmy Sexton. Sexton happens to be Alabama coach Nick Saban’s agent. This relationship partially explains the Saban-to-Cleveland rumors.

Independently, Saban, who has built a national powerhouse at Alabama, is believed to be Haslam’s first choice to coach the Browns. Lombardi is well aware of that, of course. According to a source, Lombardi has gained traction with Haslam by attaching himself to Saban’s coattails.

I have now have had three credible sources – two in the NFL and one in the college ranks – swear to me that Saban has no attraction whatsoever to Lombardi. One insisted Saban wouldn’t work with Lombardi “in a thousand years.” Another on Monday said there is “zero chance” Saban would leave Alabama to work alongside Lombardi in Cleveland.

There is one rumor that Haslam is prepared to offer Saban a $100 million deal over 10 years to coach the Browns.

Two sources who know Saban have told me that Saban is leaning toward staying at Alabama and if he ever sought to scratch that NFL itch again, it would not be in Cleveland. Once Saban left Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich., said one source, he has never traveled north of Tennessee.

Sexton and Lombardi could be scratching each other’s backs on the Saban rumors, said one source. The theory is that Lombardi gains stature with the Browns by forwarding this tall tale, and Saban inevitably will gain a new deal with Alabama.
The Crimson Tide could and would re-up whatever it takes to keep him, said a source.

If not Saban, then who?: In his many media platforms, Lombardi frequently talks up Oregon’s Chip Kelly as a quality NFL coaching candidate. In fact, Lombardi formed a relationship with Kelly several years ago. Lombardi may have introduced Kelly to Belichick, who has incorporated some of Kelly’s fast-paced offensive concepts into the Patriots’ scheme.

Kelly, however, would not be a candidate in Cleveland, said a source, because he has the ego and stature at this time to demand total control of football operatios. And that is something only Saban could wrestle from Banner in Cleveland.

Kelly will get full control somewhere in the NFL. One source predicts it will be Kelly’s demise as an NFL coach, given his total unfamiliarity of the league.

So what does that leave the Browns as head coach? Lombardi’s third choice is Canton-native Josh McDaniels, who failed as Denver Broncos coach but has risen form the ashes in his second stint as Tom Brady’s personal coach with the Patriots.

McDaniels, 36, was 11-17 as Denver Broncos coach in 2009-10 after a 6-0 start. His hiring would likely enable the Browns to retain Dick Jauron as defensive coordinator and much of the current defensive staff.

There are other possibilities of how the Browns’ new direction will unfold, but a Banner-Lombardi-McDaniels triumvirate is currently seen as the most realistic.

One source remarked of the Cleveland situation, “From a distance, I’m fascinated with how it turns out.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=9761

eznark

Banned
Some absolute garbage taken early with regards to the QB position.

Tyler Wilson is a better QB than a lot of these fools, not even on the same planet. Based on the past he's a top ten selection I think, but I wonder if teams get gun shy.

Jay Cutler 2.0. Concussion, fat face and despised by his team!

Wrayfield

More importantly, how do you know she puked? Did you follow her into the bathroom? Do you have extremely thin walls in HollandGermany?

Top Bottom