• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 17 |OT| The Gift That Keeps on Giving

Branduil

On a different note, the guy at advancednflstats was bored (presumably) and made a Sports Column Generator. Sample output:

It went down just how everyone expected it to on Sunday, as Jacksonville beat New York in a critical matchup that has season-long implications for both teams. Jacksonville was finally able to find their identity and stick with what works. New York was never able to find a way to get the ball in the hands of their explosive playmakers often enough.

Tim Tebow showed that he has what it takes to fit into Jacksonville's new dynamic. "We just found a way to get it done today," he said after the game. "We've got a lot of great guys in the locker room. This team is special," he added. The debate over whether Tim Tebow is truly elite is far from settled, but he made his case forcefully all afternoon.

Buttfumble looked confident at times, but eventually let the game slip out of his grasp. "We stuck together and gave it 110 percent. It just wasn't enough to get the win in the end," he said in the post-game press conference. Buttfumble has a tireless work ethic. He's been a consumate professional, but he'll need to find his killer instinct for New York to claw back on top of their division.

What New York needs to do at this point is clear. New York fans had higher hopes for the defense this season, but if they keep playing at this level significant changes will be needed in the offseason. The offense's performance was downright ugly. Their futility was on display all day. They'll need to return to a run-heavy gameplan to set up the pass.

Jacksonville and New York are headed in different directions. Although there's no such thing as a moral victory, New York can take solace in knowing they played as well as they could against a talented opponent like Jacksonville. We knew going in that this game was going to be a battle, and it did not disappoint.

Amazing.

Miguel

Buttfumble. :jnc

For the late Fraudxans crowd.

@awexler said:
@SeanCablinasian @MikeMeltser among all QBs w/ 30 atts on 3/9+, Schaub's rating is dead last at 36.6. His Ypa is also last. 31st of 31.
http://bit.ly/YOCE1C

@awexler said:
Looking at 3rd down & 9+ yds to go scenarios...Only 1 RB has gotten the ball > 8 times on 3/9+...it's Arian Foster w/ 19!! rushes. #NFL
http://bit.ly/YOD08I

tumblr_lpufthbIvG1qafrh6.gif

Greg

I wish Nick Collins would get a bionic neck...
:(

When did he say he didn't want to be compared to black QBs? The only comment I saw was RGIII saying he'd prefer being compared to someone who has actually done something (like Rodgers) rather than some new QB that hasn't done shit (Cam). And he said he understood why he was being compared to him at the time (they were about to play and the media likes to say the matchup is QB vs QB instead of QB vs defense and also because they run similar offenses). I didn't see a comment where he said that he doesn't want to be compared to black qbs or that he doesn't want to be seen as black.

this is all I remember him saying:
I don’t play too much into the color game, because I don’t want to be the best African American quarterback, I want to be the best quarterback.

mr2xxx

Banned
I didn't have a problem with what Rob said, within the context of having an issue with RG not wanting to be be compared to other black QBs.

Bro, you black you nice. It's been a struggle for us. Don't say shit like that in print. It wasn't the correct PC approach IMHO....

Honestly you ain't paying attention what he is saying. Rg3 wants to compared to all QBs not just black ones, he wants to be best QB period. He has never denied his blackness or any bs you think he has said, your just taking things out of context.

Watch the video and tell me if he comes across as someone who is trying to deny his blackness.

http://www.csnwashington.com/video_content_type/rg3-i-dont-want-be-best-black-qb-i-want-be-best-qb

The segment was based off of a USAToday piece.

I just watched it again. His quote wasn't as abrasive as I remember it being. But, like I said, I'm not mad at Rob for feeling a certain way about it. Because of his personal history with Tiger.

Robert is right about not being in a box, be compared to everyone. Blah blah blah. But this is America, dude. This is how we do business.

He could've also said I want to be a great black quarterback but I also just want to be a leader of men. Something along that line, no?

He didn't speak up for the plight of the black QB and I think that's the angle Parker went with.

mr2xxx

Banned

I just watched it again. His quote wasn't as abrasive as I remember it being. But, like I said, I'm not mad at Rob for feeling a certain way about it. Because of his personal history with Tiger.

Robert is right about not being in a box, be compared to everyone. Blah blah blah. But this is America, dude. This is how we do business.

He could've also said I want to be a great black quarterback but I also just want to be a leader of men. Something along that line, no?

He didn't speak up for the plight of the black QB and I think that's the angle Parker went with.

I think your reaching for straws and filling in gaps that aren't there. Parker was just throwing shit out there and hoping something would stick, I don't think he was thinking in terms of how black QBs have it tough. What other young black QBs have been speaking about the plight of the black QB? Freeman, Wilson, Cam? Its BS to call out Rg3 on the issue and not mentioning anyone else if that was his point. Dude made uncalled for personal attacks and got rightfully blasted. If your going to touch on a subject like this then be professional about it and give the subject the attention it deserves not BS about a white wife.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know, parkers an idiot, and national tv isn't a place to call the dude out if anything, but everything about rg3 spells (shit packers fans say).

Ari, youre a silly bears fan but I like you, so I would recommend changing that post stat.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Why in the hell would he have to say I want to be a great black quarterback when he already basically said he wants to be a great quarterback?

Rorschach

No. What he said is perfectly fine. He wants to be the best quarterback. What other player is going to get shit for saying he wants to be the best at his position? Should Patrick Willis say he wants to be the best black linebacker? Fuck that. He should be aiming to be the best at his position, if not the best football player, period. Obviously, if he's the best quarterback, the best quarterback would be black and he'd be the best black QB too...

And the plight of the black QB? You mean how they all get lumped in together because of race?

PS: is the AFC racist? 6 black QBs in the NFC starting. 0 in the AFC. :x They'd have 1 if Al Davis was still alive and 2 if Garrard hadn't died for Miami's sins.

mr2xxx

Banned
PS: is the AFC racist? 6 black QBs in the NFC starting. 0 in the AFC. :x They'd have 1 if Al Davis was still alive and 2 if Garrard hadn't died for Miami's sins.

New England has been at the forefront of this atrocity. So many white players at black positions, white WRs, white RB, white DB,and even a riceball brotha at safety. Coach Belicheck is trying to return to the 40s where white is right and a eunuch is their leader. May god have mercy on our souls if Belicheck wins another SB. Lets pray for our savior Lord Eli to conquer all odds and slay the beast once more in historic fashion where millions may watch one last miracle. Hail to the Goober.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Honestly, dealing with a Bears fan is bad enough ( I mean we have had Bob for years here), but it's been pretty obvious with his general lack of knowledge about football that ari is kinda slow and now throw in being a racist ... yikes.

smh man this part of the forum really isn't moderated at all. I should have shitted on GAF's movie taste in this thread lol

STOP IT MIG! :(

I didn't have a problem with what Rob said, within the context of having an issue with RG not wanting to be be compared to other black QBs.

Bro, you black you nice. It's been a struggle for us. Don't say shit like that in print. It wasn't the correct PC approach IMHO...

Rob did say he dropped Tiger after he said he wasn't black. So yea, naturally, Parker gonna be on the offensive if he perceives something similar to be happening again.

The cornball brother shit? They obviously had a production meeting, and if they willfully let him say that? Lol, more power to them.

I do.

A clean cut black guy cannot be successful in America without other black people "questioning his blackness". Who the fuck is anybody to question how black somebody is? You don't know them or what they've been through. Being black is not inherently related to struggle, yet when a black person has it easy or comes up too far all of a sudden they're a cornball. Fuck Rob Parker.

Why in the hell would he have to say I want to be a great black quarterback when he already basically said he wants to be a great quarterback?

Black Quarterbacks are like White receivers. All lumped in together.

MechDX

Wakes up, logs on to GAF, sees last page....

RexConfused.gif

Oh and Miguel? We will meet at Reliant at 5 PM today to shout obsceneties at it.

SonnyBoy

He didn't speak up for the plight of the black QB...

He's speaking with his stats. He's speaking with his play on the field. He's speaking with his actions.

...and I think that's the angle Parker went with.

That's complete bullshit. As a black man, I know exactly what angle he took. And like most NFL defenders, RGIII negated it and breezed past it. It was pure ignorance.

Rob Parker is just another crab in the barrel.

ari

Banned
I apologize for derailing this thread in the last three pages. I edited my posts accordingly and i am sorry for whom i had hurt.

SonnyBoy

I do.

A clean cut black guy cannot be successful in America without other black people "questioning his blackness". Who the fuck is anybody to question how black somebody is? You don't know them or what they've been through. Being black is not inherently related to struggle, yet when a black person has it easy or comes up too far all of a sudden they're a cornball. Fuck Rob Parker.

QFT

andthebeatgoeson

I do.

Black Quarterbacks are like White receivers. All lumped in together.

Besides, who can really resist white women?

Cornball post

Oh shit...

Talon

What world am I living in where Matt Ryan is completing 69% of his passes and has a higher YPA than LORD BRADY and Drew BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES?
Maybe Ari and MWS should get their own thread where they unbiasedly tackle race issues!

Maybe jordan could be a guest poster!
Sounds legit.

What world am I living in where Matt Ryan is completing 69% of his passes and has a higher YPA than LORD BRADY and Drew BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES?
A world where the Falcons have Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Tony Gonzalez. Ryan's playing well but he has too much help for me to be too impressed.

Talon

A world where the Falcons have Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Tony Gonzalez. Ryan's playing well but he has too much help for me to be too impressed.
Thanks for passing on him, Parcells/Ireland braintrust.

Just realized Ireland isn't going to get fired. Greatest upset of the season.

I'd rather the Dolphins go 0-16 for the next 5 seasons than have Ryan under center. I've got nothing against the Falcons, just not a Matt Ryan fan at all.

Wrayfield

Ryan has won as many playoff games as any shitty Dolphins QB they've had (and they've had their share of BLarry turd-like QBs). You can mouth off once you score more than 2 points in the postseason. :)

nateeasy

Banned
Heres an argument for Geno Atkins to be in consideration for Defensive player of the year.

The conversation regarding NFL Defensive Player of the Year typically begins with edge rushers extraordinaire J.J. Watt of Houston and Von Miller of Denver.

Fronting the conversation is deserved. Watt and Miller have 19 sacks entering the final week and lead teams headed for the playoffs. Although those record-chasing sack numbers are impressive, handing over awards without taking a closer look at Cincinnati DT Geno Atkins means not paying close enough attention.

Atkins was elected to his second consecutive Pro Bowl on Wednesday and leads all defensive tackles with 12.5 sacks. That number ranks fourth in the NFL overall. The next closest DT in the category would be Detroit's Ndamukong Suh with seven. The sacks may not seem like much when placed next to Watt and Miller. But considering how difficult it is to sack the quarterback from the interior line, the true disruptive nature of Atkins can be lost.

Atkins' sack numbers aren't just great. For his position, they're relatively historic.

No NFL DT has had this many sacks in a season since 2000. Warren Sapp, considered one of the best pass-rushing defensive tackles in NFL history, only reached 12.5 sacks once with 16 in 2000.

Few things alter the passing game more than backing a guard or center into the quarterback's face. The predominant reason Atkins belongs in the conversation for defensive POY is what he does beyond sacking the quarterback.

He has 51 tackles, 17 for a loss, and been at the core of a pass rush leading the NFL in sacks with 47. Rarely can a QB safely step into throws in the pocket with Atkins clogging the middle.

Top Bottom