• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 17 |OT| The Gift That Keeps on Giving

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Concussions on kick offs is already down.

Actually, great point. Kick off returns are by far the most violent and dangerous aspect of the sport and I like the new rules they've come up with.

Amazing logic. Conversely, we should get rid of pads and helmets and stop pussyfooting.

No, but lets not distill the game to the point we're not playing tackle football anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZMOm_picU

How does this clean hit warrant a 50k fine? There was no helmet to helmet contact, Victor Cruz's head hit the ground violently yet somehow Ed Reed gets a 50k fine? What sport are we playing again?

There are tons of plays at every position that don't show up on the highlight reel yet are violent in the way the helmet hits the ground.

I'm all for new helmet technology but until that happens none of these bullshit penalties and demonetization of defensive players will stop injuries or head injuries in the NFL or any other violent sport.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Honestly the worst shit on this forum is "don't like dudes opinion so he goes on ignore list." Whoever it may be.

I know you may not socialize much but ignore lists do not exist in real life. If me defending Suh is so egregious that you have to put me on your ignore list you're going to be a pretty miserable person as you browse GAF.

Rorschach

Honestly the worst shit on this forum is "don't like dudes opinion so he goes on ignore list." Whoever it may be.

I know you may not socialize much but ignore lists do not exist in real life. If me defending Suh is so egregious that you have to put me on your ignore list you're going to be a pretty miserable person as you browse GAF.

Ignore lists are even better in real life. It pisses off the person being ignored so much!

kastrioti said:
I know you may not socialize much but ignore lists do not exist in real life.
How old are you out of curiosity? In "real life" it's even easier to ignore people. I don't need a list to put them on either. Thankfully society has been kind enough to weed out most "real life" human interaction with the advent of smart phones and other technology.

Fantomex

Man every time I check in on this thread, some drama is going down. Yesterday it was ari, today this? Man imma have to stay on this permanently and keep the love going.

The patriots still suck I hear, so much that Tammy took off her nails and started hootin and hawlering. jnc

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sick burn, brah!

Your move, AngmarsKing!!

Aaron Rodgers has the same amount of home playoff wins as Matthew Stafford.

How old are you out of curiosity? In "real life" it's even easier to ignore people. I don't need a list to put them on either. Thankfully society has been kind enough to weed out most "real life" human interaction with the advent of smart phones and other technology.

24 et tu?

And the 'weeding out' of real life human interaction has been disadvantageous to humans as a whole. Discourse in person is actually a positive thing, and ignoring peoples opinions because you're butthurt means you either can't factually debate them or you're to immature to handle the debate.

Again if what I said about not wanting opposing QBs hurt and the way football is played is so egregious you mine as well log off because there are a lot more serious topics than the NFL that get defended on GAF.

24 et tu?

Discourse in person is actually a positive thing
Depends on the company and in so far as everyday interactions (checking out at a grocery store, picking up food at an eatery etc.) the less human interaction the better as far as I'm concerned.

Again if what I said about not wanting opposing QBs hurt and the way football is played is so egregious
No the logic you use to excuse the latter while trying to crusade for QB safety are in direct contravention to one another. You excuse the play of a man that has body slammed, choke slammed, nut shotted and stomped on players as being physical and within the rules of the game then turn around and say "oh golly gee I hope Staff and other QB's are never ever hurt!". It's utterly ridiculous and you seem oblivious of this fact and then want to lecture others on an inability to debate? Alrighty.

A debate has to start with some actual baseline logic. Not a Suh dick sucking initiative and raving about how defensive players should be allowed to level people any which way they want followed by wishing upon wishing no one hurts your QB or any other for that matter. It's silly. There's no debate to be had. You can't have it both ways.

Well, technically speaking, Staffords home playoff record is undefined. He has never played a home playoff game.

However, Rodgers post season success is plentiful and well defined. Sorry, but i will need a larger sample size from your boy before we can compare the playoff success of these two QB's.

Let's reengage this debate.... taking into account the next time the Lions make the playoffs, obviously - and assuming Stafford actually gets to host a playoff game - say........ never?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Depends on the company and in so far as everyday interactions (checking out at a grocery store, picking up food at an eatery etc.) the less human interaction the better as far as I'm concerned.

We're getting into another topic but ignoring someones opinion would require them to say something horrible or racist. We're talking about football here.

All I said was:

1.) Lets not root for another QBs injury despite how violent the sport is.

2.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2wV4pK-gFc

This is a legal hit and sack in the game of football. I would never want this hit to happen to Stafford but recognize its part of the game and if you change that you change the essence of what tackle football is.

The NFL has gone out of there way to appease people who were against the sport to begin with, and end up fining Ed Reed, James Harrison and Suh for hits that are part of the game and always will be unless you want to start flagging every single play.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They are funding new helmet research. Hopefully, they get on stuff like that, but nothing is gonna stop brains from rattling around in their skull unless they fasten it down or coat it with puddy. :p
The brain is suspended in fluid, which already allows for both cushioning and slipping. While helmets can't nullify impacts entirely, they can do their job much better than they are now, which is really the point.

Kastrioti said:
The NFL has gone out of there way to appease people who were against the sport to begin with...
Players?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

I think you would find that most players know the game is violent and the NFLPA is against the fines imposed by the commissioner and owners trying to appease money hungry lawyers. Most of the fines levied against players are inconsistent and have been all the place in terms of what is a "legal hit" and what is not.

What the NFL may have potentially done wrong is hiding evidence that violent hits and helmet hits on the ground (may) lead to concussions or brain injury.

If the NFL knowingly withheld information like that I hope they pay the financial price they can afford. On the flip side if you ever played the game of football you should know (or your parents should) that its a violent sport where serious injuries are possible.

Hitokage said:
To be blunt though, players are about the last people I trust on determining proper prevention of head injuries. Or any injury for that matter. Just this week it was revealed McElroy kept his concussion symptoms from the Jets coaches and doctors so that he could play.

Players can talk all they like about safety but when they are pulling that shit and handing out 10,000 dollar rewards for injuries - I couldn't care less about their opinions on how to supposedly make the game safer.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

4kf2nhk.gif

I wasn't sure before but this confirmed to me you're just doing a masterful trolling job.

Kudos.

Hunter S.

Hitokage could never stomach rugby. The NFL is turning the game into a pussy sport with the new rules, especially those involving pads, hits on the QB, and defense against wide receivers.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To be blunt though, players are about the last people I trust on determining proper prevention of head injuries. Or any injury for that matter. Just this week it was revealed McElroy kept his concussion symptoms from the Jets coaches and doctors so that he could play.

Players can talk all they like about safety but when they are pulling that shit and handing out 10,000 dollar rewards for injuries - I couldn't care less about their opinions on how to supposedly make the game safer.
I was responding to his "well they hate football anyway" claim. Sure, players can be full of shit, but that kind of dismissal isn't called for.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I thought you mean we all had fluid. Is it different for different people? Do all the NFL players have the liquid? If not, it would explain guys like Collie and Dilfer. Do black players have more of this liquid than white players?
Some people have nothing but. It's pretty cool.

It's way too much of a hassle to put people on ignore when you can just read their bullshit. Even if it is the most desperate rationalizations for their shitty team.

Yeah, I'll never buy the "we can't fix the concussion problem with helmets" argument. We (collectively, as a civilization) haven't been making helmets long enough to claim we're any good at it. In fact, given all the concussions players get wearing them, our helmets demonstrably suck ass. They were invented to stop people from having their head split open, not to mitigate blunt force trauma.

The NFL is finally throwing some money at the problem now, which is nice. The organization that really disgusts me in this whole thing is the NCAA + universities. They've managed to skate through and basically take none of the blame, as they swim in their pools of money.

Milchjon

BB King rules again:

Belichick, according to a source in the Patriots film room, got Sunday’s game against the Dolphins flexed to 4:25 p.m. for one reason only — to watch what the Texans do in a 1 p.m. kickoff and know what his Pats will achieve in not throwing the Miami mashup, that being a coveted first-round bye. No drop kicks allowed if Houston chokes against the Colts.

Speaking of BB, I played a bit of basketball for the first time in maybe a decade. Man, that's fun. Now if only my FG% was above .030...

Wrayfield

Currently banned video games in Germany[...]

Ah, the USK (German Pegi, basically). The demon of games and films around here. The violence stuff in your list a couple of pages back isn't banned, it's indexed. There is a big difference there from an economic perspective. These can still be sold but not advertised. That's why publishers release gimped version they can advertise and sell in retail. That's why adult gamers buy their shit in the UK. It's slowly, too slowly, improving. The old generation of USK officers who didn't know a game console from their elbow are fading out. The youger generation allows for a lot more violence. Loses more and more relevance with online retailers, but still sucks for anyone with a German IP on Steam.

To put in in a perspective, bear in mind that you postpone every live footage by a few seconds because of a lousy nipple. Is that freedom? No, just random organisations doing their hypocritical shit. Every country has them, for different reasons. Don't agree with either of those two, for what that's worth.

As for Nazi glorifying -- it's in the German consitution that it's forbidden. You can argue about it. I would. Then again, the consitution is from 1949-ish (been a while, don't remember the exact date). Go figure. Every game dev worth their penny knows that stuff. Just like you don't have the Fat Man in the Japanese version of Fallout. And that's just one reason, many Germans are still feeling guilty to the point of feeling bad when they hear their anthem. That's so weird to me and I always try to argue with my German friends, but it's a mentality that's still around much. It's not so much about freedom as much about addressing weird cultural feelings of 80 million potential customers.

The 2nd amendment of your consitution generally allows you to take your rilfe with you when you pick up your kids from kindergarten. I know it's generalising, but hey...

You guys seem to have some sort of post x-mas blues and are trolling the bejesus out of each other. I know the season is coming to an end, for some sooner than for others. It's offseason soon, but that bullshit is getting old. Go ahead and watch some buttfumbles, it will make you all smile again.

Idk about you guys, but I want Brady to get hurt. I think it's because of his face.

Hurt not injured. Want to beat him in the huddle, not some Cassel -2.0. For me, it's his face, his demanding flags and getting them. The double standard this league has been granting this franchise since seemingly forever. The fact that they beat us for what seems ages. I dislike them with a passion. Makes it even harder to like Dutch and Milch around here, but I try not to think about it too much :).

squicken

BB King rules again:

Speaking of BB, I played a bit of basketball for the first time in maybe a decade. Man, that's fun. Now if only my FG% was above .030...

Some thought probably is given to losing and getting the 4th seed and letting BAL get the 3 seed. Get HOU in round 2 instead of DEN

edit: Right on, Wray. Last few pages were crap. Way too much bickering.

Narag

Looks like I finally found someone who wants to join my Movement for Abolition of Prettiness.

Life would be so much easier if everyone looked like Steve Buscemi.

Being a Colts fan would certainly be easier if my QB was brought up to Buscemi-level handsomeness.

Milchjon

Being a Colts fan would certainly be easier if my QB was brought up to Buscemi-level handsomeness.

After 13 years of Peyton, shouldn't you be used to it already?

Also, I think the ugliness of Luck is overstated. As long as he keeps his mouth shut, his hair cut and his chin shaved, he looks like a normal dude.

I fucking warned you about Dark Faze!

the-dark-knight-clapping-unscripted-scene.jpg

You and I are destined to do this forever I see.

I live in DC. Half of my family is from VA the other half is from Philadelphia.

I'm a special case. My allegiance was to Dawk, Jim Johnson, and McNabb.

I think there's a special clause for being able to bail when your team hires a convict/dog killer , kicks out all the players you like, etc. But I've always been a Skin fan as well.

NO shame in my "betrayal"

IMA DO ME

You and I are destined to do this forever I see.

I live in DC. Half of my family is from VA the other half is from Philadelphia.

I'm a special case. My allegiance was to Dawk, Jim Johnson, and McNabb.

I think there's a special clause for being able to bail when your team hires a convict/dog killer , kicks out all the players you like, etc. But I've always been a Skin fan as well.

NO shame in my "betrayal"

IMA DO ME
Rors is right. this type of behavior would never have been accepted before squicken. smh

squicken

I'll just add that I remain 100% loyal to the Houston Oilers

edit:

Rick Gosselin ‏@RickGosselinDMN
The NFC won the interconference series from the AFC, 39-25. The NFC closed out the AFC by winning 12 of last 14 games over last 3 weeks

Top Bottom