• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 17 |OT| The Gift That Keeps on Giving

squicken

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2012/under-pressure-sackelroy

REALLY SEND THE HOUSE

Washington's seven-man blitz was a great example of a risky play call paying off, but it was positively sedate compared to the Rams, who successfully pulled off an eight-man rush on a first down against the Bucs. Safety Quintin Mikell got the sack 2.6 seconds after the snap.

An eight-man rush sack is rarer than you might think. No one recorded a sack on an eight-man rush in 2011, three were recorded in 2010, and one in 2009.

The Rams are the only team with a sack on an eight-man rush this season -- and they have four of them. St. Louis has dialed them up in a variety of situations. They have two eight-man sacks on first down, one on second down, and one on third down. Clearly, the Rams are willing to be a little riskier with their blitzes than most teams.

SonnyBoy

Are we watching a all time great Rb in AP? Is his name gonna go down with greats when he's done?

I'd hope so, he's one of my favorite players. I wish we'd get to see him paired with a QB worth a damn... A QB that can force the 8th man out of the box and let him be even more great.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I guess the occasional squicken doesn't bother me if you going to switch conferences or something. Like if a Lions fan wanted to be a Browns fan or vice versa.

But squickening in your own division? That's awful. I'm extra sensitive about that since this whole thing:

osSvk.jpg

"I'm a Favre fan herpa derp, I hate the Packers for how they treated him, Fraudgers sucks!!! Vikes for lyfe1111!!!!111"

RBH

Rex Ryan may be staging his exit after a second consecutive forgettable season if Jets owner Woody Johnson isn’t willing to invest more money into revamping the team’s struggling offense.

The Daily News has learned that Ryan, the man who dominated the headlines for the past four seasons, has intimated to “anyone who will listen” that he would be better off getting fired if Johnson isn’t willing to rectify player personnel and coaching issues on offense, according to sources.

It’s unlikely that Johnson would fire Ryan, who has two years and more than $6 million remaining on his contract. However, sources told The News that Ryan has not been given assurances about his job security three days before the season finale against the Bills on Sunday.

Ryan declined comment about his future when reached by The News. “If Woody’s not willing to do what it takes to fix the team, then (Ryan) knows he’s better off being fired,” a team source said. “If Woody is willing to eat some money and spend to get us out of this mess, then it’s worth staying.”

Ryan’s recommendations to Johnson would almost certainly include replacing first-year offensive coordinator Tony Sparano with a new play-caller. However, it’s unclear whether Johnson is willing to pay off the remaining portion of Sparano’s deal.

“The million-dollar question is how much dead money is Woody willing to absorb for 2013 with front office, coaches and players?” a league source familiar with the situation said. “If Woody’s not willing to spend, then (Ryan) would want out. He’d be a lame duck. Anybody would want out.”

Sources confirm that Ryan prefers to stay with the Jets if his owner is willing to pour in all the necessary resources to breathe life into one of the most anemic passing offenses in the league. Although Johnson’s bottom-line budget is unknown, sources said that Ryan won’t simply resign if the owner isn’t willing to make sufficient changes.

“He won’t quit,” a team official said.

At that point, one plausible scenario beneficial to Johnson would be to buy Ryan out of his contract with an agreed-upon financial settlement.

Otherwise, Ryan would essentially be coaching for his job next season. Without a significant upgrade in offensive talent, the Jets would be a borderline playoff team at best.

If Ryan were to part ways with the Jets, he would be an attractive candidate for several head coaching jobs expected to be available as early as Monday. He would also be amenable to taking a one-year hiatus and working in television, according to sources.

It would be a stunning end to an entertaining and mildly successful four-year run with the Jets.

With his penchant for brash and daring statements, Ryan quickly transformed the Jets into the most polarizing team in the league. He wasted little time placing a bull’s-eye on the franchise by claiming at his introductory press conference in 2009 that the Jets would be paying a post Super Bowl-victory visit to the White House to meet the President “in the next couple years.”

The Jets dominated the headlines in 2009 and 2010 with their style and substance. Gang Green’s back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances coupled with Ryan’s supreme confidence made the Jets the toast of the town.

But the Jets, who are 14-17 over the past two years, went into a tailspin after their early success.

“I’m always going to keep searching because I’m trying to win,” Ryan said after a 27-17 loss to the Chargers on Sunday ensured his first losing season as a head coach. “Whatever it takes, that’s what I’m here to do. Obviously, it’s been a bad season. There’s no question about that, but I’m going to keep competing. I want to win. I came here to win a championship.”

It may make perfect sense for Ryan to leave if Johnson isn’t willing to take the necessary steps to revamp the offense. The dearth of offensive talent on the roster would likely be too much to overcome next season. Ryan could realistically be fired if the Jets miss the playoffs for a third consecutive year. Moreover, Ryan’s market value could dip. It may behoove him to make a move to greener pastures now. Potential openings include the Eagles, Chargers, Chiefs, Browns and Cardinals.

Ryan has deflected questions about his future in the past couple of weeks, but acknowledged on several occasions that this season has been a disappointment.

“Obviously, if you don’t make the playoffs, you’re not going to win a championship this year, but we’ll see what happens,” Ryan said after losing to the Chargers. “I know one thing: I’m always going to keep believing, I’m going to keep working and I’m going to keep trying to search for answers.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ax-jets-fail-offense-article-1.1228741#ixzz2GLNaWJc1

eznark

Banned

1. lol at not checking out of the PA and the deep routes
2. lol at not hitting the wide open crossing route

TB actually picked that blitz up really well. Freeman should have had an easy 8 yards. If he had recognized it he could have hotted that low receiver to slant which would have gone for 6.

Notice how both running backs totally recognized the blitz and didn't perform the PA while Freeman was fucking clueless and went on with the fake. Pathetic.

squicken

Hot routes. How do they work?

When I watched the game live, I thought Freeman looked like crap. But watching it on Rewind, and while he still makes some bad decisions, he's not exactly put in great position to succeed.

On that play, even if Clark would have popped out for a quick throw in the flat, Lauranitis and Dunbar are flowing that way and might have taking it back had he thrown it

edit:

ez all game they ran deep and intermediate routes. For whatever reason, they didn't take the short stuff. Martz commented that it seemed TB was hell bent on attacking the Rams vertically.

brentech

His wide outs didn't really do him any favors either. They should have at least changed route to a comeback, curl, or slant.

Though, since Freeman didn't realize he needed to offload to his man underneath, it's not to say he would have figured out his wideouts were making adjustments either.

tmdorsey

For some reason I think the Packers are be like GAF and fall into the hype about being a lesser seed through the playoffs and fold to the Vikings. This of course would be stupid since anytime you have a chance to possibly eliminate a division rival you got to take it.

bionic77

My 1st team are the Bucs

My 2nd team is drinking.
Drinking is not the answer my friend. Look to Rors or even Ez (though I think he takes it too far) for the solution to a shit team.

Instead of focusing on how garbage your (or mine for that matter) team is, instead focus your hatred on the flaws and weaknesses of the other teams.

I can feel you anger. Let it flow. Most of these shit teams are defenseless. Take up a weapon and strike them down with all of your hatred and your journey to the happy side will be complete, my young padawan.

eznark

Banned
When I watched the game live, I thought Freeman looked like crap. But watching it on Rewind, and while he still makes some bad decisions, he's not exactly put in great position to succeed.

On that play, even if Clark would have popped out for a quick throw in the flat, Lauranitis and Dunbar are flowing that way and might have taking it back had he thrown it

The Rams blitzed 8 for one reason; they have no respect for Freeman. It's clear why.

His wide outs didn't really do him any favors either. They should have at least changed route to a comeback, curl, or slant.

Freeman gave no indication that they should though.

Bowser

Cam Newton is the god of garbage time points. The only elite QB's that stat hog like Cam Newton are Brady and Brees. Both of those are due to douchebag coaches. Big difference there, is they are stat hogging by running up the score on shitty teams like CAR.

Considering we've lost by more than 6 points only twice this season, you're just straight up wrong.

Stick to hockey.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Though, since Freeman didn't realize he needed to offload to his man underneath, it's not to say he would have figured out his wideouts were making adjustments either.

That's not something a receiver does on the fly. That's bad coaching. It's also possible that no one, including the qb and wr's didn't recognize the blitz. I refuse to believe that all of them missed it, so I'm going back to bad coaching.

Draxal

edit:

ez all game they ran deep and intermediate routes. For whatever reason, they didn't take the short stuff. Martz commented that it seemed TB was hell bent on attacking the Rams vertically.

That's Coughlin offense that Sullivan runs, there's no short game what so ever.

eznark

Banned
That's not something a receiver does on the fly. That's bad coaching. It's also possible that no one, including the qb and wr's didn't recognize the blitz. I refuse to believe that all of them missed it, so I'm going back to bad coaching.

The backs picked it up and it looks like the linemen did a pretty good job as well. Even on seven man blitzes if the QB has time to complete his ball action, fully drop, and also hop you're probably giving up a lot of yards. Unless the QB sucks.

Cam Newton is the god of garbage time points. The only elite QB's that stat hog like Cam Newton are Brady and Brees. Both of those are due to douchebag coaches. Big difference there, is they are stat hogging by running up the score on shitty teams like CAR.

Yeah...no.

Vast majority of those 19 losses were close games in the fourth quarter. Not garbage time.

In six of our nine losses this year, we've had fourth quarter leads. And only two of our nine losses this year could be considered blowouts (the games against the Manning bros).

squicken

Clark is the slot guy and doesn't turn his head until late. At a minimum he should have noticed Mikell blitzing. I'm not saying Freeman is absolved in any way, but the whole team seems off here

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The backs picked it up and it looks like the linemen did a pretty good job as well. Even on seven man blitzes if the QB has time to complete his ball action, fully drop, and also hop you're probably giving up a lot of yards. Unless the QB sucks.

I'm not absolving Fatman. He needs to see that blitz and let the ball go to his TE on the crossing pattern as soon as his back foot hits. I'm saying a half decent coaching job gets that top receiver to run a quick slant then he's only one beaten cb away from 6 points. There's a reason that teams don't run that blitz anymore, it's as likely to give up a TD as get a sack. Peyton Manning would hit the slant, pad his stats and laugh at Jeff Fisher as he ran back to the sideline.

squicken

Peyton Manning would hit the slant, pad his stats and laugh at Jeff Fisher as he ran back to the sideline.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
Rams 7 sacks sending 7+. No one else with more than one.

They sent a lot of pressure at Wilson in the first game, and at Kaepernick in the second game. Supposedly Gregg Williams' son calls the game on defense. It's a testament to the St Louis media that no one knows for sure

Fantomex

Are there stats for audibles called during a game? I'm pretty sure Fivehead and Tammy would be at the top, but I'm more interested in who would be at the bottom besides Freeman and Vick.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
Rams 7 sacks sending 7+. No one else with more than one.

They sent a lot of pressure at Wilson in the first game, and at Kaepernick in the second game. Supposedly Gregg Williams' son calls the game on defense. It's a testament to the St Louis media that no one knows for sure

I wonder if they tried it against Brady or the Midget. Otherwise, they've played teams with qb deficiencies pretty much all year.

squicken

I wonder if they tried it against Brady or the Midget. Otherwise, they've played teams with qb deficiencies pretty much all year.

Brady carved them up. Like 5 straight drives with a TD. Rodgers did well too. Any QB who can make the quick reads on the short stuff beats them. They idea is too give up the dink and dunk and then jump the routes. Finnegan has been hurt and really bad recently, but Jenkins is getting really good at it. If he can not get tasered again or have too many more children, he's got a chance to be an elite CB

beast786

1. lol at not checking out of the PA and the deep routes
2. lol at not hitting the wide open crossing route

TB actually picked that blitz up really well. Freeman should have had an easy 8 yards. If he had recognized it he could have hotted that low receiver to slant which would have gone for 6.

Notice how both running backs totally recognized the blitz and didn't perform the PA while Freeman was fucking clueless and went on with the fake. Pathetic.

Hey ,you play pretty good QB on the internet.

Top Bottom