• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 17 |OT| The Gift That Keeps on Giving

Law school is easy but the economy is shit and it is hard as fuck to find a job.

Astrolad always has a good thread about how dire shit is for newbies.

Man I miss school. You freakin Euros and you free schools and free, hot and slutty women. We have to pay for our school and women in the US.

I wouldn't just do law, I would combine it with my economics thing, so I wouldn't be completely dependent of it.

bionic77

I wouldn't just do law, I would combine it with my economics thing, so I wouldn't be completely dependent of it.
I studied economics. That was fun and I even got a Masters in it but I can barely remember anything from it, other than Econometrics was not nearly as hard as everyone made it out to be.

Make sure to get some good experience while in college if you want to get anything out of that degree. Honestly I think law is probably a waste of your time unless you learn about something really specific that can supplement your degree in economics. Perhaps learning about securities laws, etc.

Also, fuck the Pats.

Greg

Don't forget the huge supply of hot girls nearby.

And speaking of music please tell me that none of you assholes posts in that One Direction thread.
Yeah, that's always a plus.

And as for One Direction - I'm not sure if be posted there, but that's what Dutch wanted custom soundtracks for.

Striker said:
I'm curious if Fewell leaves
Doubtful, IMO. Just coming off of a Super Bowl win he'll get another season (as he should IMO).

I think his scheme/game planning is more often than not solid. I see execution as being a bigger factor in our defensive woes along with personnel. At the end of the day, through three different coordinators the identity of the Giants defense hasn't changed. It's predicated on a monster four man pass rush. That's what Acorsi helped to build and what Reese continues to focus on. If those horses on the front line can't get home, the defense is exposed. Unless we're going to make a fundamental shift in drafting philosophy, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As for Perry, the common complaints are:

-Fewell doesn't blitz enough - So? We've been at the top of the league in sacks for years now even under Fewell until this season. His defensive scheme is run on the belief that our front four can dominate. Up until this season, they have been able to do so more often than not at the right time.

- Fewell plays too much zone - Ok, so the downside is that our personnel is supposedly better at playing press. Are they? I've yet to see a consistent demonstration of that since 2008 when we ran Spags blitz heavy scheme. We're at a point where the old is being wiped away with new blood so I'm curious to see what these younger guys do in the scheme before saying too much zone is a problem. Here's what I do know: Fewell's zone heavy scheme has resulted in a defense that has been incredible at generating turnovers in the three years he's been coordinator. That's a positive that gets ignored far too often.

- The Giants can't stop the run - This is one area where I agree and I believe scheme is somewhat to blame but when you look at that 6 game stretch to win the SB, something clicked from both a scheme and personnel issue that needs to be recaptured. I think losing T2 and then seeing that his linebackers weren't as ready as he thought they were to take over for the loss of Grant put a damper on some of the things he wanted to do on defense. I think losing Kenny really hurt things as well since that took the fallback 3 safety look away unless you start depending on young guys like Will Hill and Sash.

I'm sure there's more including Fewell not being great at in-game adjustments but we've seen varying personnel groupings all season long (even a 4-4-3 and 4-4-2-1 in the Ravens game to try and help with the run game).

I understand the dislike but I'm for giving Fewell another opportunity with a restocked group before saying "yeah, its the scheme that's the problem". Sheridan was dumped because the players never bought in. That's not an issue with Fewell and I think calling for his firing is more reactionary than anything else (calling for Gilbride's firing is laughable).

It kinda sucks that if the Vikings win this weekend they pretty much are set to play GB again at their place of residence.

Oh well, I chalked up this season as a win about 4 weeks ago.

Striker

Doubtful, IMO. Just coming off of a Super Bowl win he'll get another season (as he should IMO).
This line just strikes frustration to me

Perry on defensive struggles: 'we're in position to make plays, and we haven't made plays.'

I mean, I'm sure he might be given another chance, but if he doesn't and takes off, I won't be upset.

The Baltimore scheme was really strange; reminds me of his two DT deep depth vs. Indy few years ago, and then the Colts just run down the defense's throat. Just dumbfounding.

Striker said:
Perry on defensive struggles: 'we're in position to make plays, and we haven't made plays.
If its frustrating for you, how frustrating must it be for him to watch his defense miss 18 tackles in two quarters? (that's what I counted at the game) Do we really think that Fewell isn't reinforcing fundamental tackling at practice? Under Tom Coughlin of all coaches? Really?

Maybe I'm being a softy for Fewell but at some point it becomes about the players and their lack of want/execution for me.

This line just strikes frustration to me

Perry on defensive struggles: 'we're in position to make plays, and we haven't made plays.'

I mean, I'm sure he might be given another chance, but if he doesn't and takes off, I won't be upset.

The Baltimore scheme was really strange; reminds me of his two DT deep depth vs. Indy few years ago, and then the Colts just run down the defense's throat. Just dumbfounding.

One of my favorite memories. That was hilarious.

Draxal

That must be sarcasm.

Well, it's a bit of hyperbole as they do have a short passing game (although Eli's bad at throwing screen passes), but Coughlin's offense has always been predicated on the deep throw and Eli's primary/secondary reads have been long and intermediary routes (and Coughlin has admitted this). I believe you have clearly stated that Eli misses a lot of the short open receivers, but part of the reason that he misses them is that they're the last read the majority of the time.

Coughlin and Arians had a similiar philosophy, I mean Eli does throw a nice deep ball and he has on them alot in the last couple of years, it has worked (but with a Gimp Nicks and no Manningham it has clearly suffered this year). I'm not critical of Gilbride (let's face it Eli audibles into run all the times and this is also Tom's offense not Gilbrides), because it has clearly worked in the past.

I think his scheme/game planning is more often than not solid. I see execution as being a bigger factor in our defensive woes along with personnel. At the end of the day, through three different coordinators the identity of the Giants defense hasn't changed. It's predicated on a monster four man pass rush. That's what Acorsi helped to build and what Reese continues to focus on. If those horses on the front line can't get home, the defense is exposed. Unless we're going to make a fundamental shift in drafting philosophy, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As for Perry, the common complaints are:

-Fewell doesn't blitz enough - So? We've been at the top of the league in sacks for years now even under Fewell until this season. His defensive scheme is run on the belief that our front four can dominate. Up until this season, they have been able to do so more often than not at the right time.

- Fewell plays too much zone - Ok, so the downside is that our personnel is supposedly better at playing press. Are they? I've yet to see a consistent demonstration of that since 2008 when we ran Spags blitz heavy scheme. We're at a point where the old is being wiped away with new blood so I'm curious to see what these younger guys do in the scheme before saying too much zone is a problem. Here's what I do know: Fewell's zone heavy scheme has resulted in a defense that has been incredible at generating turnovers in the three years he's been coordinator. That's a positive that gets ignored far too often.

- The Giants can't stop the run - This is one area where I agree and I believe scheme is somewhat to blame but when you look at that 6 game stretch to win the SB, something clicked from both a scheme and personnel issue that needs to be recaptured. I think losing T2 and then seeing that his linebackers weren't as ready as he thought they were to take over for the loss of Grant put a damper on some of the things he wanted to do on defense. I think losing Kenny really hurt things as well since that took the fallback 3 safety look away unless you start depending on young guys like Will Hill and Sash.

I'm sure there's more including Fewell not being great at in-game adjustments but we've seen varying personnel groupings all season long (even a 4-4-3 and 4-4-2-1 in the Ravens game to try and help with the run game).

I understand the dislike but I'm for giving Fewell another opportunity with a restocked group before saying "yeah, its the scheme that's the problem". Sheridan was dumped because the players never bought in. That's not an issue with Fewell and I think calling for his firing is more reactionary than anything else (calling for Gilbride's firing is laughable).

His schemes have definitely had some bad days (Colts in 2010, Ravens last week).

1. People aren't just calling out the lack of blitzing, it's how fucking pathetic his blitz packages are, compare them to Spag's it like night and day. Part of the reason is that we have terrible blitzers currently, but the blitzers under Spag's days weren't great either. And yes having a dominant front four is fine, but if you keep them on an island like they have too much, they are going to get worn down. Tuck would be fine if a situational players, not playing 30 downs and 10 of them being double teamed.

2. Playing a zone is fine, but playing a zone with a press cb is bad, you saw Webster under Lewis, and how he totally changed under Spags. You also saw last year what happened with Asomougah with Philadelphia last year, it's just a bad fit for the player. And yes we do generate a ton of turnovers, but we also give a shit ton of yards, and when we aren't getting those turnovers shit happens.

3. I'll honestly give Fewell something here, we have bad linebackers and Reese likes to draft rush tackles instead of big fatties, and our big fatties got hurt this year (Rogers). His track record in Buffalo suggests that this is a trend though, good pass defense but absolutely terrible against the run.

I want Fewell gone, but I don't blame him, He's just a bad fit for the talent, and Reese is going to draft who's he going to draft. You need to supplement Reese's talent with a Coach that is better suited for his talent, as Reese isn't going anywhere. Also, Osi clearly called out Fewell earlier this year, and you can see there's still some c confusion in the ranks, especially in the secondary (all though I rememember Eric from BBI said that might because we don't have Grant anymore).

Fewell's gone if we get blown out again like the last two games. John Mara isn't as forgiving as his father and I'm glad for it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's a testament to the St Louis media that no one knows for sure

This is mostly because the Rams are not the Cardinals and I'm not sure whether or not most of St. Louis is aware that they have an NFL team.

And what is Advocare, why does it sound like a Pyramid scheme, and why is Drew Brees sponsoring it!

Rorschach

I am surprised that was able to skate on kicking Tommy Kelly. I could understand the refs not penalizing him on the field where it was some what difficult to see exactly what happened between Cam and Kelly. But you would have thought that the league office would see the tapes this week and its pretty clear-cut that Cam instigated that situation and definitely threw a foot out at Kelly.
Preferential treatment. And I can't see how the ref doesn't penalize him. He's RIGHT THERE and he's looking straight at it. In fact, Kelly got flagged on that play. That game was horse shit.

I'm not, I believe the ref was looking at it the whole time. If the roles were reversed, he would have thrown that flag.

He would have been ejected for sure.

Drinking is not the answer my friend. Look to Rors or even Ez (though I think he takes it too far) for the solution to a shit team.

Instead of focusing on how garbage your (or mine for that matter) team is, instead focus your hatred on the flaws and weaknesses of the other teams.

I can feel you anger. Let it flow. Most of these shit teams are defenseless. Take up a weapon and strike them down with all of your hatred and your journey to the happy side will be complete, my young padawan.

Just channel all your hate towards your division rivals. These new fans have decided they're going to channel all their love towards those teams they are supposed to hate. Love is stupid. It's impossible to even parody these guys anymore!

My 1st team are the Bucs

My 2nd team is drinking.

Go team Gordita!

Draxal said:
His schemes have definitely had some bad days
How's Spags defense looking these days in New Orleans? How's Dom Capers looking over in Green Bay for the better part of two seasons now? Bill Belichik "Defensive Mastermind!" hasn't fielded a defense worthy of his reputation for years now. Name me one coordinator who's schemes don't have "some bad days".

Lets cut through some of this and get to the root of it: Giants fans by and large still haven't let go of their love affair for Spags and his blitzing defense. Plain and simple.

Draxal said:
'm not critical of Gilbride (let's face it Eli audibles into run all the times and this is also Tom's offense not Gilbrides), because it has clearly worked in the past.
..but Fewell's Super Bowl winning defense hasn't?

Draxal said:
I want Fewell gone,
So who do you want brought in? Who's the person that matches our personnel in your mind?

Bowser

I am surprised that was able to skate on kicking Tommy Kelly. I could understand the refs not penalizing him on the field where it was some what difficult to see exactly what happened between Cam and Kelly. But you would have thought that the league office would see the tapes this week and its pretty clear-cut that Cam instigated that situation and definitely threw a foot out at Kelly.

Besides his $21,000 fine for bumping an official, Cam Newton was also fined $10k for kicking Raiders DL Tommy Kelly.

Just reported.

jbug617

Banned
A_OjLEuCUAEzk3M.jpg

Very nice of JJ Watt and Texans organization hosting some kids from Newtown.

Draxal

How's Spags defense looking these days in New Orleans? How's Dom Capers looking over in Green Bay for the better part of two seasons now? Name me one coordinator who's schemes don't have "some bad days".

So who do you want brought in? Who's the person that matches our personnel in your mind?

Do you still think Tim Lewis should be our defensive coordinator? He got a shorter leash than Fewell. And as for Spags, compare the Saint's roster on d compared to the Giants. He has jack to work with.

And I think I'm pretty clear, I want someone under the Jimmy Johnson tree instead of the Tampa 2 tree like Fewell. It's just a better fit.

Draxal said:
Do you still think Tim Lewis should be our defensive coordinator?
Nope, but Fewell isn't running a Tim Lewis pure read and react defense and his defense won a Super Bowl in 2011. Apples to oranges.

Draxal said:
And as for Spags, compare the Saint's roster on d compared to the Giants.
Oh so personnel matters. Gotcha.

Draxal said:
I want someone under the Jimmy Johnson tree
Who? Who would you like brought in?

Slo

It kinda sucks that if the Vikings win this weekend they pretty much are set to play GB again at their place of residence.

Oh well, I chalked up this season as a win about 4 weeks ago.

It's okay. Knocking the Bears out of the playoffs, and then a shot at ending the Packer's season too would be all worth it.

Draxal

Oh so personnel matters. Gotcha.

I've clearly stated that I don't think the personel is going to be a good fit for Fewell, and I don't think Reese is going to get the talent that Fewell wants for his system to work, not that Fewell is a bad coach.

..but Fewell's Super Bowl winning defense hasn't?

Yes, because the defense in 2011 was so utterly GREAT, look up the numbers for our d the last 3 years, and compare them to the offense, and it's been pretty much one consistent our offense carries the team unlike the 2004-7 Giants.

MechDX

I would think one of the kids would kick him in the groin area but I'm not sure if it would hurt him.

His twitter

Thanks. Havent looked at my twitter feed today. lol Some more on Watt on Christmas day:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...hristmas/633d0c8b-f441-4875-9f33-fd46992ca318
It started on Christmas Eve. Watt visited a local children’s hospital and stayed for about two hours. He may have been there longer had he not gotten held up at a local Academy Sports Outdoors on his way there as he went to buy gifts for the children he was about to visit.

“Our fans are great, but it makes it hard to go shopping,” Watt said, smiling, on Wednesday in the Texans’ locker room. “That was a lot of fun. I knew I was going to be by myself on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be a kid in the hospital on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, so I just wanted to go and see if I could spread some cheer whatsoever. Those were some special moments. Those kids’ smiles were unbelievable.”

Watt then started driving around town to make several special Christmas visits. He showed up unannounced at several fire stations. He also stopped by the Bellaire Police Department, whose corporal Jimmie Norman was murdered in the line of duty on Christmas Eve.

“I wanted to pay my respect at the police department for the officer who was killed and drop off some cleats,” Watt said. “And my dad’s a firefighter, so I know what it’s like to be a firefighter on Christmas and be away from your family. I was really lucky. The fire departments gave me some great food. Those guys know how to cook.”

Also the story there about Watt getting a twitter from a fan saying she couldnt find her son a Watt Jersey for Christmas so he hand delivered some cleats on Christmas Day. The guy is just awesome and I guarantee McNair will make him a Texan for life.

Draxal said:
Yes, because the defense in 2011 was so utterly GREAT
In the last 6 games, it most certainly was. Why the insistence on ignoring that when discussing whether the scheme does or does not work? It obviously did when the players went "all in" and decided to execute at a high level.

Spags has no one to work with New Orleans so we'll excuse his defense being shit but you're going to omit the fact that we had a banged up defensive line in 2011 (including the defensive captain) that didn't get healthy until the end of the season (strange how the defense all of a sudden clicked). Oh and the fact that we lost 9 cornerbacks to IR doesn't play into it either I suppose?

Draxal said:
and it's been pretty much one consistent our offense carries the team
I'd say the offense has taken its fair share of blame in 2012. It stopped carrying anything in the middle of the year if not earlier.

2011? Yeah, no argument from me.

The 2010 offense? The one that turned the ball over more than any other team in the league. The one with a QB with 25 interceptions? An offense that averaged 3 turnovers a game guaranteed? They carried the #7 defense in the league? You must be joking. The 2010 defense was consistently put in HORRIBLE field position situations thanks to the offense and a PUTRID special teams unit headed up by slippery hands Matt Dodge. Yet despite that the defense was pretty solid all things considered and led the league in generating turnovers with 44 if memory serves. Which was one of the key reasons we ever won 10 games that season.

Look, we're going in circles here so I'll just end with this: Give me a name. Tell me who you want brought in that lines up with the personnel and who you think will magically solve the issues we have on defense? I'm still waiting...

My favorite thing about this season is how my Packer friends are reacting to and treating me.

They went from no acknowledgement at all to "As if we give a fuck, Vikings are an after thought. You guys are second fiddle to the bears!".

Feels good to be noticed again. I believe the term the anime nerds use is Tsundere.

In the last 6 games, it most certainly was. Why the insistence on ignoring that when discussing whether the scheme does or does not work? It obviously did when the players went "all in" and decided to execute at a high level.

Spags has no one to work with New Orleans so we'll excuse his defense being shit but you're going to omit the fact that we had a banged up defensive line in 2011 (including the defensive captain) that didn't get healthy until the end of the season (strange how the defense all of a sudden clicked). Oh and the fact that we lost 9 cornerbacks to IR doesn't play into it either I suppose?

I'd say the offense has taken its fair share of blame in 2012. It stopped carrying anything in the middle of the year if not earlier.

2011? Yeah, no argument from me.

The 2010 offense? The one that turned the ball over more than any other team in the league. The one with a QB with 25 interceptions? An offense that averaged 3 turnovers a game guaranteed? They carried the #7 defense in the league? You must be joking. The 2010 defense was consistently put in HORRIBLE field position situations thanks to the offense and a PUTRID special teams unit headed up by slippery hands Matt Dodge. Yet despite that the defense was pretty solid all things considered and led the league in generating turnovers with 44 if memory serves. Which was one of the key reasons we ever won 10 games that season.

Look, we're going in circles here so I'll just end with this: Give me a name. Tell me who you want brought in that lines up with the personnel and who you think will magically solve the issues we have on defense? I'm still waiting...

Fire the whole Giants coaching staff. They all suck shit anyway.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My favorite thing about this season is how my Packer friends are reacting to and treating me.

They went from no acknowledgement at all to "As if we give a fuck, Vikings are an after thought. You guys are second fiddle to the bears!".

Feels good to be noticed again. I believe the term the anime nerds use is Tsundere.

Until the corpse of Rodgers plays for the Vikings, I can't imagine hating you guys as much as the Bears. 2009 Vikings may have been my most hated team in sports history. So congrats!

Top Bottom