• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 17 |OT| The Gift That Keeps on Giving

KaYotiX

Banned
My favorite thing about this season is how my Packer friends are reacting to and treating me.

They went from no acknowledgement at all to "As if we give a fuck, Vikings are an after thought. You guys are second fiddle to the bears!".

Feels good to be noticed again. I believe the term the anime nerds use is Tsundere.

We shall refer them as the Minnesota Petersons :)

Draxal

In the last 6 games, it most certainly was. Why the insistence on ignoring that when discussing whether the scheme does or does not work? It obviously did when the players went "all in" and decided to execute at a high level.

Spags has no one to work with New Orleans so we'll excuse his defense being shit but you're going to omit the fact that we had a banged up defensive line in 2011 (including the defensive captain) that didn't get healthy until the end of the season (strange how the defense all of a sudden clicked). Oh and the fact that we lost 9 cornerbacks to IR doesn't play into it either I suppose?

I'd say the offense has taken its fair share of blame in 2012. It stopped carrying anything in the middle of the year if not earlier.

2011? Yeah, no argument from me.

The 2010 offense? The one that turned the ball over more than any other team in the league. The one with a QB with 25 interceptions? An offense that averaged 3 turnovers a game guaranteed? They carried the #7 defense in the league? You must be joking. The 2010 defense was consistently put in HORRIBLE field position situations thanks to the offense and a PUTRID special teams unit headed up by slippery hands Matt Dodge. Yet despite that the defense was pretty solid all things considered and led the league in generating turnovers with 44 if memory serves. Which was one of the key reasons we ever won 10 games that season.

Look, we're going in circles here so I'll just end with this: Give me a name. Tell me who you want brought in that lines up with the personnel and who you think will magically solve the issues we have on defense? I'm still waiting...

I'm not discounting the injuries as let's face the Giant's pretty much had shitty defensive injuries every year (I honestly question our training staff) except for 2007 (except for Kiwinuka).

2010 Giants O was 7(5th yardage) in the league, D was 17th(7 yardage) by points scored and alot of those turnovers were in the opposing zone decreasing the Giant's score count so it does hurt both ways. Giant's were hamstrung by a bad punting game, but the offense was also hamstrung by an anemic return game, as our special teams was truly horrific on all fronts that year.

2011 D the last six games, Pats (played a very good game) 49ers (played a very good game) with 2 horrific plays by phillips/rolle. Packers, I honestly thought that was more the Packers playing like absolute dog shit and our O rocking then our D, Rodgers was off all day, and the wr's dropped some easy balls. Falcons, well I kinda discount that game like I discount this last game against the Falcons.

And in all honesty, I think the name thing is kind of silly and I gave you as good of an aswer as I could of. If I was to tell you in 2006 that I wanted Lewis gone, and you were to ask me a name I would of never told you Spagnuolo. I don't have the insight here to know a high rising coach in a similiar system that we used to run, and I was content with the Sheridan choice after Spags was gone. (and I do think Sheridan kinda got screwed too, as bad as our talent is now, nobody is as bad as C.C. Brown was).

And I don't think for a second that our problems are going to go away, I think we're in for a couple of rebuilding years soon, the Giant's kinda got old faster than I thought they were, especially with the Salary cap issues. Next year's team is going to be very different.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's the easiest solution, admit it. I have no idea who they'd replace them with, where they'd get them from or what schemes they'll be running, but anything is better than going .500 a year removed from a Super Bowl! You're a homer if you don't agree.

This has been the giants MO since they won their first superbowl. Coughlin was on the hot seat both years he won the superbowl, last year they snuck in at the end. I don't think there will be a turnover anytime soon.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This has been the giants MO since they won their first superbowl. Coughlin was on the hot seat both years he won the superbowl, last year they snuck in at the end. I don't think there will be a turnover anytime soon.
Guy won two Super Bowls

"Yeah but what have you done lately?"

Draxal

Guy won two Super Bowls

"Yeah but what have you done lately?"

Eh, nobody's been calling out Coughlin on BBI (the Giant's die hard forum), there's a brutal civil war over Fewell though. And Coughlin wasn't on the hot seat last year, his seat was very very safe.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Eh, nobody's been calling out Coughlin on BBI (the Giant's die hard forum), there's a brutal civil war over Fewell though. And Coughlin wasn't on the hot seat last year, his seat was very very safe.
For one more year anyway! You guys know what I'm talking about....

Draxal

For one more year anyway! You guys know what I'm talking about....

Yeah, I hear you. It's just fun bitching about trivial stuff like this, I mean McCarthy did some mindnumbingly stupid stuff in the Packers/Jints game earlier this year, but there's no way he's getting fired either.

Draxal said:
(and I do think Sheridan kinda got screwed too, as bad as our talent is now, nobody is as bad as C.C. Brown was).
Players didn't buy into the system. It was evident in the preseason with the Osi blow up. He wasn't screwed, his system wasn't liked. Tuck all but admitted as much post the 2009 season. Lewis was in the same boat. The players hated the read and react and were vocal about it.

As for the name issue, I find it silly to call for the head of a Super Bowl winning coordinator the year after winning said game without a semblance of an idea as to who the replace him with. That screams overreaction to me. Fewell isn't Tim Lewis or Bill Sheridan. The players are not in revolt against his system (only a portion of the fanbase seems to be). No defensive player is out there questioning the scheme right now. They are questioning themselves as they should be.

Draxal said:
And I don't think for a second that our problems are going to go away, I think we're in for a couple of rebuilding years soon, the Giant's kinda got old faster than I thought they were, especially with the Salary cap issues. Next year's team is going to be very different.
..and on this we agree.

Draxal

Player didn't buy into the system. It was evident in the preseason with the Osi blow up. He wasn't screwed, his system wasn't liked. Tuck all but admitted as much post the 2009 season. Lewis was in the same boat. The players hated the read and react and were vocal about it.

As for the name issue, I find it silly to call for the head of a Super Bowl winning coordinator the year after winning said game without a semblance of an idea as to who the replace him with. Fewell isn't Tim Lewis or Bill Sheridan. The players are not in revolt against his system (only a portion of the fanbase seems to be). No defensive player is out there questioning the system right now. They are questioning themselves as they should be.

I'll beg to differ on the revolt thing, Osi called him out earlier this year and JPP isn't having fun (which can be taken many different ways), but it's also to the point where you can't get 2 defensive coordinators fired in a row (well since the contract is over I guess this wouldn't be a firing). I'll stand by what I said earlier, if the Giant's get destroyed like they did the last two weeks Fewell won't be here next year, losing is fine, but getting humiliated like that again is something that Mara won't tolerate due to the lost years in the 70's.

jbug617

Banned
People are trashing the guy who wrote the Rex article today because Rex denied the report. What did people expect Rex to say.

Draxal

People are trashing the guy who wrote the Rex article today because Rex denied the report. What did people expect Rex to say.

Pettine is the source for all the stuff according to Francesa.

Justin Tryon at corner. Can't wait see him scheme his way out of that one!;)

I'll give you a name, Rex Ryan. I actually met Kevin Gilbride at the 5 Guys by the stadium the one day and he's still jacked. I bet you he could take him.

Draxal

Daily News is saying that Rex told Mehta things off the record.

Thank you Jets for taking the spotlight off the Giants.

@Brian_Bassett: Francessa says Pettine is leak. All I know is Pettine was internally SLAPPED last year for leaking stuff to press.

@Brian_Bassett: Also, Pettine forced to use a specific phone for all purposes last year so team could monitor calls. Guess Stringer Bell got him a burner.

ari

Banned
The jets are not making any sense, mark sanchez is not working out and they still continue to fuck over tebow by once again over jumping him on the depth chart, dude could possible be pretty decent. watch him go to Jacksonville and go to work next season...in which the jets would look even more shitty.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Thank you Jets for taking the spotlight off the Giants.

@Brian_Bassett: Francessa says Pettine is leak. All I know is Pettine was internally SLAPPED last year for leaking stuff to press.

@Brian_Bassett: Also, Pettine forced to use a specific phone for all purposes last year so team could monitor calls. Guess Stringer Bell got him a burner.

I don't even know what to think about any of this. Sigh.

The jets are not making any sense, mark sanchez is not working out and they still continue to fuck over tebow by once again over jumping him on the depth chart, dude could possible be pretty decent. watch him go to Jacksonville and go to work next season...in which the jets would look even more shitty.

Jets are making perfect sense right now. Ryan is shifting all the blame onto Tannenbaum so he saves his job and Tannenbaum gets the Axe. Shitty part is that will probably happen anyway after this season.

Draxal

I don't even know what to think about any of this. Sigh.

It gets even worse.

Brian Bassett ‏@Brian_Bassett
@NickSpano @Chris726 I've sat on that for a year. No reason to hide it now if it helps public understand the larger picture.

For those wondering about leak. If you ran 1/2 of a biz sucessfully, but other 1/2 ruined it for whole organization, would you be happy? No.

Right now, #Jets brass is like Egyptian government during the Arab Spring. Unable to control their subjects due to proliferation of tech.
Expand

One more thing. Pettine isn't only one in #Jets organization under close communication scrutiny. It's a common thing in Florham Park.

Jets are making perfect sense right now. Ryan is shifting all the blame onto Tannenbaum so he saves his job and Tannenbaum gets the Axe. Shitty part is that will probably happen anyway after this season.

Eh, I don't like the Jets one bit but Tannenbaum was clearly incompetent, the team bombed so many picks, and had no depth what so ever.

Tanny is being relieved on Monday but is said to be having more of a cap decision role.

Why Polian isn't in the talks of being the next Jets GM is beyond me.

Also I don't believe for a second that Ryan would accept being fired, probably because he wouldnt land a head coaching gig elsewhere.

squicken

Tanny is being relieved on Monday but is said to be having more of a cap decision role.

Also I don't believe for a second that Ryan would accept being fired, probably because he wouldnt land a head coaching gig elsewhere.

Why would you want Polian? He lost his touch and Peyton held it all together. The Colts gutted the roster after 2-14. No one is taking that job unless they can rebuild the whole structure. With all the leaks there, the new guy should fire every single person. Normally I think it's petty when support staff get fired after a coaching change, but no place needs a culture change like the Jets

You want Polian? Why? So he can draft a franchise QB then sit on him for 15 years?

Why would you want Polian? He lost his touch and Peyton held it all together. The Colts gutted the roster after 2-14. No one is taking that job unless they can rebuild the whole structure. With all the leaks there, the new guy should fire every single person. Normally I think it's petty when support staff get fired after a coaching change, but no place needs a culture change like the Jets

You want Polian? Why? So he can draft a franchise QB then sit on him for 15 years?

Well if you were to give me a choice between him and Joey Clinkscales, I'd pick Polian. But also we want a proven GM already, Polian was a name that came to mind.

Although it would be nice if there was a complete blow up of the organization...meaning Woody Johnson sells the team to someone who wants to win.

RBH

Terrelle Pryor will start the regular-season finale against the San Diego Chargers Sunday, Raiders coach Dennis Allen said.

“I’ve decided to go with Terrelle Pryor as our quarterback,’’ Allen said Friday following practice. “He’ll play in the game and we’ll see how the game goes. He’s the starter, and we’re going to go into it as we would any other game.’’

Allen said Pryor and Matt Leinart had been told earlier in the week Pryor was the likely starter.

“I wanted to see how each player responded,’’ Allen said. “I thought Terrelle responded well. I think he gives us a unique element of athleticism at the quarterback position and I think he deserves to get an opportunity to get out there and see what he can do.

“I’m anxious to see him play. I want to see him get out there and relax, play the game of football the way it’s supposed to be played. I want to see him take command of the huddle. I want to see us get in and out of the huddle and the operation be smooth. I want to see him protect the football, make sure he makes good decisions.’’

Allen said Leinart “didn’t like’’ the decision and that he didn’t expect him, as a competitor, to like it.

Pryor has played only six snaps in the past two games, a there-and-out series against the Kansas City Chiefs and three specialty plays against the Carolina Panthers where he was a shotgun quarterback with Carson Palmer or Matt Leinart split wide.
http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2012/12/28/pryor-to-start-against-chragers/

RBH

titansfans.jpg

The fans in Tennessee are speaking with their remote controls and declaring that they’re fed up with the Titans.

Sunday’s 55-7 loss to the Packers had a 16.5 local TV rating, the lowest local rating for a Titans game since the 2005 season, Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports. That 2005 season represented rock bottom for the Titans: Their 4-12 record that year was the lowest since the franchise moved to Tennessee in 1997.

RBH

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan vehemently denied a report that he would welcome being fired if owner Woody Johnson fails to make offseason changes.

"That is totally untrue," Ryan said. "The fact is -- and it's simple -- this is the only team that I want to coach, period. And I think anybody that knows me knows that I'm telling you the truth."

Ryan, who was "mad as a hornet" after he read the New York Daily News story, held a team meeting where players described him as both angry, and so upset that he openly cried.

"Rex has always been a fighter and he taught us how to fight," running back Joe McKnight said. "... It hurt him to say stuff like that. He was crying too, he was that mad, that hurt. You hurt a man like that and he cries."

The article suggests Ryan is looking for a way out after what has been a difficult and, at times, comical season. It's a criticism that Ryan felt he needed to address publicly, not just with his team.

"I don't want to coach anywhere else," Ryan said.

"I'm not stepping down, no chance and that's the truth," Ryan added. "It bothers me that I feel I have to comment on it because it was so strong out there."

Some players were upset as well, and a few reacted when the media were let in during the scheduled access with players. Most didn't want to discuss the report, but defended their coach.

"This is a family to us," offensive lineman Austin Howard said.

Linebacker Bryan Thomas called Ryan a "defensive genius" and said he wishes Ryan had been his coach for his entire professional career.

The report cited anonymous sources who said Ryan was eyeing the exit if Johnson doesn't invest in the offense, which has been notably weaker this season. That included, according to the report, "almost certainly" firing coordinator Tony Sparano.

"I called Mr. Johnson as soon as I read the article and let him know that absolutely 100 percent is not my intention," Ryan said. "No way in heck, and I'm not putting an ultimatum to the man that hired me, no chance."
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8787659/rex-ryan-new-york-jets-denies-report-welcome-exit

Top Bottom