• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

4 more years of AP at the least.

The man is not a human being. He is made of wires and circuits.

adrian1.jpg

When AP got paid I wasnt worried in the least. He is going to last almost all the way through it at a respectable level.

eznark

Banned
Every single team in the NFL had the book on RG3 before the season, and it was tape of the Panthers. The reason RG3 is succeeding so well still despite this, is that

a)AlMo is a legit talent with insane lower body drive and KShan knows how to use him right (as opposed to the Panthers rush attack)

and b) RG3 is hands down a better QB than Cam. He reads defenses better, his accuracy is much better and his reads at the line are far superior.

Cam's problem is not that he all of a sudden sucks. Cam's problem is his shit attitude and the fact that he fell in love with himself and his talent. Once he corrects that garbage, he'll be back.

I'm not convinced he reads defenses any better, he hasn't had to ever so it's speculative at best. He is roughly 10 million times more accurate though, and that's why I am now pretty confident he'll be successful. I had doubts about his accuracy just because he was never actually forced to be accurate in college and he has that sort of nonchalant throwing motion that seems too loose to be accurate at will. He's showing me!

LJ11

Yeah, the Panthers need some talent, they need to upgrade that OL. GM fucked up plenty of drafts. Injuries have hurt them too. Beason was great, he's nowhere near the same player yet they extended him.

They have work to do, can't write off Newton though. I haven't watched or read his comments to be honest, but demeanor on the sidelines is not what you want. Dude still isn't throwing with his legs, all arm. Needs better coaching.

Hopefully they get the right people in place going forward.

They announced an iPad 4 already?

Yeah, my shit is outdated already! The funny thing is that actually stressed how innovative they were this year by replacing a product in 6 months. Grade A trolling.

Slo

Wait, you think MJD won't hit 10k in his career? He's already over 7k and that's with splitting time with splitting time with Taylor in the beginning.

I mentioned MJD. He's the same age as AD and has almost the same yardage total. Who ends up with more is a toss up.

Regardless, my point is that we probably won't be seeing 10k backs anymore until it becomes back in fashion.

beast786

I like how the apple fanboys like to point out 2 million or so apps on the App Store but in reality 2/3 of the store is shit.

That company died with Steve jobs. Just don't feel the same way I did about there products with all the other products in the tech field.

Everything that has been released as of today. Has been Jobs portfolio. Add to the fact that Jobs had many failure of his own.

More iphone and apple product will be sold in the holiday Q, than any other.

That company died with Steve jobs. Just don't feel the same way I did about there products with all the other products in the tech field.
I keep waiting for something to come along and prove that they've still got it but right now I just don't see it. Everything is so boring and safe, there is just nothing exciting about the new products they're showing. I do own an iPhone 5 though and I like it a lot, but even that is a very safe and predictable product.

Bowser

Yeah, the Panthers need some talent, they need to upgrade that OL. GM fucked up plenty of drafts. Injuries have hurt them too. Beason was great, he's nowhere near the same player yet they extended him.

They have work to do, can't write off Newton though. I haven't watched or read his comments to be honest, but demeanor on the sidelines is not what you want. Dude still isn't throwing with his legs, all arm. Needs better coaching.

Hopefully they get the right people in place going forward.

This is the theory CatScratchReader has espoused on why we're not using a downhill running game:

Why are we running from the shotgun this season? Why is Chud sticking with the option? What is with the lack of touches for our premier RB's?

After watching the team for 6 weeks, and after thinking on the matter, I've settled on what probably should have been an easy observation in the preseason. We don't have the caliber of offensive line to run a power running game. We can't get the necessary push to sustain success in a traditional running game. Quite simply, our guys are getting beaten up front, allowing LB's and Linemen to blow up run plays.

Here's one drive from Sunday's game: 1st and 10- Run: Dive play (0 yards gained). 2nd and 10- Run: Weak I formation, counter (0 yards gained). 3rd and 10- Pass: 3 route (incompletion --0 yards gained). Punt.

Last year's Offensive Line had veteran presence and quality talent; Jordan Gross is the only player who still starts in his 2011 spot. Our line is bad, and it is hindering what we are able to do offensively, both in the pass game, as well as the run game. Why run the ball in the I if you know that your running back has almost no chance of even making it to the second level of defenders?

Chudzinski has been hampered by the dearth of talent on the Offensive Line just as McDermott had been by the lack of talent on the Defensive Line. If you're looking for someone to blame, I suggest the deposed General Manager, Marty Hurney. There were available players this offseason at both OG/T (and CB for that matter), however moves were not made to restore the depth of the offensive line.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/10/23/3539802/breaking-down-the-data-cowboys-vs-panthers

and PFF weighs in:

It never helps your offensive productivity when four of your offensive linemen grade below -1.0. Such was the case for the Panthers. Their reshuffled offensive line wasn’t gelling, and it hindered the offense’s efficiency. The four penalties committed by the line put the Panthers in some longer down-and-distances, really limiting Carolina’s play-calling options.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/23/refo-cowboys-panthers-week-7/

squicken

I'll go pick up a Nexus later today. Apple fail.

For that much money I would have expected the mini to have a Retina display and the new SoC, which they'll surely announce in 6 months. We bought my Mom and iPad 3 for her birthday, and it's been great, and all she does is web browse on it. But if I had bought one for myself, I'd feel a little annoyed. 6 months is like Android levels of product milking

I really hope someone comes out with a light, thin, cheap, Windows tab. I don't need it for gaming. Just have it play video and be a soild web browser and occasional book reader

edit: Sorry bowser, I don't buy the OL issue. STL has taken garbage offensive linemen and churned out a few hundred yard games with decent YPC numbers. It can be done

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Pretty much every electronic device I purchase revolves around gaming in some fashion so Apple products aren't really for me.

Phone? Gonna need that bigger screen for games so Note 2 or Galaxy S3
Laptop? ASUS gaming laptop!
Desktop? I build my own!

Okay that's not entirely accurate. The ipod is still the best MP3 player device around even though iTunes is the most bloated piece of software ever. I bought an ipod in 2005 and I haven't seen a reason to upgrade though!

Also I can't use a kindle to game so I lied about *every* electronic device.

The ipad might be a pretty useful thing to play with while watching NFL games or something. But then there's that Microsoft thing coming out soon so....

I mentioned MJD. He's the same age as AD and has almost the same yardage total. Who ends up with more is a toss up.

Regardless, my point is that we probably won't be seeing 10k backs anymore until it becomes back in fashion.

I think it'll literally come down to injuries for who has the higher totals. Both are amazing runningbacks.

ari

Banned
Everything that has been released as of today. Has been Jobs portfolio. Add to the fact that Jobs had many failure of his own.

More iphone and apple product will be sold in the holiday Q, than any other.
I don't know, this ipad 4 announcement wasn't in jobs playbook by any measure. seems weird for apple.

eznark

Banned
iPad mini's are how much?

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I can't wait to laugh at the idiots like me who buy that thing.

effzee

I don't even want a honest answer. What is their marketing pitch for the ipad mini What is the use or uniqueness of it? The size?

mr2xxx

Banned
I'm not convinced he reads defenses any better, he hasn't had to ever so it's speculative at best. He is roughly 10 million times more accurate though, and that's why I am now pretty confident he'll be successful. I had doubts about his accuracy just because he was never actually forced to be accurate in college and he has that sort of nonchalant throwing motion that seems too loose to be accurate at will. He's showing me!

He is reading defenses fine so far. Redskins are throwing in packaged plays where he can hand off, take off or pass based on how he reads the defense and he is doing a great job so far.

Here is great read on what RG3 is doing. http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/36841/back-to-school-how-mike-shanahan-is-using-rg3s-college-offense-with-the-redskins

I'm loving all the tech/game bloggers whining about "having" to replace their iPad 3 now. Still getting use out of my iPad 2 but I guess I'm doing it wrong.

eznark

Banned
He is reading defenses fine so far. Redskins are throwing in packaged plays where he can hand off, take off or pass based on how he reads the defense and he is doing a great job so far.

Here is great read on what RG3 is doing. http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/36841/back-to-school-how-mike-shanahan-is-using-rg3s-college-offense-with-the-redskins

Ok, I should restate. I'm not convinced he is reading secondaries well. I'm not saying he isn't, just saying he isn't yet really being asked to. Which is smart!

eznark said:
Oh, meh. No one is using the current processor to it's capacity and I'd just as soon not have to buy all new accessories. iPad 3 is fine. Until Christmas when I buy myself a Surface!

Quite happy with the 3.

Surface Pro is likely my next buy if its priced right.

Smokey

Pretty much every electronic device I purchase revolves around gaming in some fashion so Apple products aren't really for me.

Phone? Gonna need that bigger screen for games so Note 2 or Galaxy S3
Laptop? ASUS gaming laptop!
Desktop? I build my own!

Okay that's not entirely accurate. The ipod is still the best MP3 player device around even though iTunes is the most bloated piece of software ever. I bought an ipod in 2005 and I haven't seen a reason to upgrade though!

Also I can't use a kindle to game so I lied about *every* electronic device.

The ipad might be a pretty useful thing to play with while watching NFL games or something. But then there's that Microsoft thing coming out soon so....

Wrong.

The zune hd plus the music pass is the greatest music player and hardware combo in existence.

LJ11

Honestly, I knew the OL was in trouble once I saw Hangman starting at guard. He's so weak at the PoA. Not sure how your RT is doing, but that's another example of a very good player (Otah) going down because of injuries to the point where he's no longer capable of playing in the league.

Some of the issues are bad luck, but can't excuse the poor decision making, have to fill holes and create depth. They've been trying to replace Mohammad for years. Interior DL is also weak.

mr2xxx

Banned
Ok, I should restate. I'm not convinced he is reading secondaries well. I'm not saying he isn't, just saying he isn't yet really being asked to. Which is smart!

That is true, Shannahan isn't taking the leash off him yet, which explains why we have been so bad on third downs so far. But we have been improving in that regard the past two games.

eznark

Banned
That is true, Shannahan isn't taking the leash off him yet, which explains why we have been so bad on third downs so far. But we have been improving in that regard the past two games.

Yup, no shame in it. Bring the guy along slowly if at all possible.

Bowser

edit: Sorry bowser, I don't buy the OL issue. STL has taken garbage offensive linemen and churned out a few hundred yard games with decent YPC numbers. It can be done

We've churned out some great total rushing #s (save for TB), but it's usually more due to Newton's rushing than anyone else:

@TB: 10 rush yards (Leading rusher: Cam 6 yards) - just atrocious
vs NO: 219 rush yards (Cam 71 yards)
vs NYG: 60 rush yards (DeAngelo 50 yards)
@ATL: 199 rush yards (Cam 86 yards)
vs SEA: 82 rush yards (Cam 42 yards)
vs DAL: 112 rush yards (Cam 64 yards)

As you can see, the only time we put up good rushing stats is when Cam accounts for the bulk of them. Which makes it even more mind boggling that Hurney handed out so much $$$ to 3 RBs.

Honestly, I knew the OL was in trouble once I saw Hangman starting at guard. He's so weak at the PoA. Not sure how your RT is doing, but that's another example of a very good player (Otah) going down because of injuries to the point where he's no longer capable of playing in the league.

Some of the issues are bad luck, but can't excuse the poor decision making, have to fill holes and create depth. They've been trying to replace Mohammad for years. Interior DL is also weak.

Hangman is now our starting C, Byron Bell is our RG, and Garry Williams our RT. The right side of the line is in disarray and is pretty atrocious. Otah being a fat lazy bum and Kalil's injury has killed what should have been a great line.

mr2xxx

Banned
Yup, no shame in it. Bring the guy along slowly if at all possible.

Pretty much, not much pressure when you have the top running offense and are a top 5 offense overall. On the other hand our pass D is on pace to give up over 5,200 yards this season.

beast786

The play calling disgusted me last night when the Bears had first and goal from the 3 when they were up 10 to 0. Three straight passes, wtf? Did the spirit of McCarthy seep into Meathead for a couple play calls? The team has Forte and one of the best short yardage backs in the league with Bush, and they pass 3 times? Should have pounded the ball 3 times into the end zone and the game is over.

Obviously the play calling was disgusting. Even you know not to trust cutler in big situations.

Bowser

Switching gears a bit, I'm hoping in the end the Panthers hire either the Giants' Marc Ross, the Ravens' Eric DeCosta, or (soon-to-be-ex-)Browns GM Tom Heckert (certainly seems like he's got Cleveland on the right, or at least a better, track).

beast786

iPad mini's are how much?

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I can't wait to laugh at the idiots like me who buy that thing.

My mother in law wants to order as Christmas gift for pretty much all her grand kids.

Bowser

Mike Holmgren didn't guarantee during his press conference Tuesday afternoon that he'll remain with the team through the rest of the season, and won't rule out a return to coaching somewhere in the NFL.

Asked if he has one more coaching stint in him, Holmgren, 64, said, "I don't know. I do miss the coaching part.''

He said he considered coaching the Browns after firing Eric Mangini, but didn't feel it was the right time.

"I thought a lot about it, what I was willing to do, what I wasn't willing to do,'' he said. "At that time I wasn't ready for it. I thought I'd be shortchanging the organization.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/10/cleveland_browns_outgoing_pres.html

Hmm.

I'd take him as long as he did not have roster control. I don't want a GM/Coach. I want a distinct GM and Head Coach.

A $250 iPad would have killed all other tablets.

People will still buy it because its an iPad.

This is what gets me. They really could have cornered the market by pricing the mini at $199-$249. It's not like they don't have the cash to market and sell a break-even product. But I suppose that's not Apple's way and I'm sure the thing will still sell like hotcakes anyway.

ari

Banned
Obviously the play calling was disgusting. Even you know not to trust cutler in big situations.
Deep down everyone knows cutler's season won't pick up Eli style until week 11 or 13, roll that hot play into the playoffs and game set match for the Super Bowl.

That will be the NFC Super Bowl team story anyhow, just replace cutler's name with a decent QB from the NFC and you got your Super Bowl favorite. :/

Top Bottom