• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

jmdajr

Your point? You only made the playoffs because of the lack of competition in your division. If the Niners were in your division last year, you wouldn't have done anything.

Ha, true that. Skelly used to own the 4th quarter. Not this year.

Damn man. It's not like the NFC West was setting the world on fire last year. Pretty darn good this year though.

Bowser

Mike Klis writes that the Panthers should look into hiring Brian Xanders to replace Marty Hurney as general manager. Xanders was the former general manager in Denver, and Carolina pursuing him would make sense if the Panthers want someone with previous experience who can start immediately. The Panthers have been very tight lipped about how they plan to proceed, but the one thing I’ve heard is they have their eye on at least one guy that currently works for another team and has not been a general manager before. If the Panthers want to talk to that guy, NFL rules say they have to wait until after the season. But they can talk immediately to Xanders or anyone else that is not currently employed by an NFL team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/40691/around-the-nfc-south-400

Not sure I want Xanders - dude hired Josh McDaniels.

As for the bolded:

ross_marc.jpg

Fox318

Coach McDaniels will lead the Panthers to the playoffs after they trade all of their pics for the next 2 years for for Tebow.

squicken

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/40691/around-the-nfc-south-400

Not sure I want Xanders - dude hired Josh McDaniels.

As for the bolded:

I'm always weary of bringing in the assistant. It could just be that Reese is that good. As for Xanders I think Bowlen made that hire. Not that there's any reason to hire him. Might as well fire Rivera and then bring in two guys who can work together but have a clear division of authority. They need to have the same vision on how they want to build, which Rivera and Hurney clearly didn't

Your team sucks b/c your coach is a moron and your QBs are shit. Your defensive is overrated and slow. Amendola was pushing all-world Peterson's shit in until he got hurt. Slot midget Amendola ripping up Peterson on the outside. You are God-awful clowns b/c your GM is so terrible at his job that you are putting the dreck from above on the field after using a first round pick on a WR

You got lucky for the reasons that have been given to you several times. Winning games in the 4Q and recovering fumbles are unsustainable. Water finds its level and your guys have found yours

Sorry but shitty teams don't beat the Pats at home and blow out the top rated offense in the league on their way to being 4-0. You're still salty about being wrong. Amendola did indeed burn Peterson on two plays. Unfortunately for your argument, I've repeatedly said our CB's were the weakness of the D due to inexperience and youth but will get better in time. Peterson WILL be a shutdown corner, it's just a question of when. I'm sorry he disappointed you in his second season. CB's are one of the top positions after QB in terms of difficulty for transitioning into the NFL. He's making strides at corner and has looked good more often than not this year. I'd say Amendola is probably the player that made him look the worst out of all our games.

No Cardinal fan will defend Graves and have in fact, called for his head for years. That said, I still really like the two drafts prior to this last one and think a few from the most recent one will pan out well. Floyd was an example of best player available which is a strategy I agree with. Roberts has severely defied expectations this year and before the season started, we desperately needed a #2, especially with Heap being out so often. It was not a bad pick if you aren't high on Reiff. I personally would have liked DeCastro but it turned out that he's been injured most of the year? Is this correct, Steeler GAF?

For the thousandth time, ALL OUR GAMES but one have been close nail biters and 5 wins in overtime dating to our stretch last year through this one. When you generate that kind of success consistently, it isn't luck anymore, it's just how we do business. This is clearly the source of your salt, you just can't wrap your mind around a team winning these kind of games over and over again. If we had as much luck as you suggest, we'd be in the SB.

Bowser said:
As for the bolded:
I'm honestly surprised the Bears didn't hire him when they were on their GM search this off-season. Reese has been grooming him for a GM position for awhile now. I'll hate to lose him but it's an unavoidable eventuality. I trust/hope Reese has the right person to step in and fill those shoes when he does move on.

So I saw Mike Pouncey (the center for the Dolphins) many times over the weekend in Jamaica at the resort I was staying at. I highly regret not bringing my Jets jersey w me :(

The cards have a lot of injuries but just because they were starters doesn't make them good. Cards were lucky to go 4-0 and now you see!

I only bothered naming the ones that mattered and had impact in our drop in performance. Our RT isn't good I'll give you that one spot, but surely would do better than a rookie. Everyone else are crucial pieces and have severely influenced our game. As bad as the last three teams played and that we were in each game until the end, no way we would have lost any of them if we had a few of those guys playing. 7-0 would have happened and I'd be making an avy bet with you this week.

Anyway, I hate bitching about injuries so don't want to carry on much more about it. It's just guys like Squicken that made me feel the need to address it. Nothing lucky about that 4-0 run.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I only bothered naming the ones that mattered and had impact in our drop in performance. Our RT isn't good I'll give you that one spot, but surely would do better than a rookie. Everyone else are crucial pieces and have severely influenced our game. As bad as the last three teams played and that we were in each game until the end, no way we would have lost any of them if we had a few of those guys playing. 7-0 would have happened and I'd be making an avy bet with you this week.

Anyway, I hate bitching about injuries so don't want to carry on much more about it. It's just guys like Squicken that made me feel the need to address it. Nothing lucky about that 4-0 run.

The thing about injuries is everyone gets them. If Hernandez doesn't get hurt against the cards, they don't even start 2-0.

Mrbob

What a weird ass remark. I'm supposed to predict if half my team will get injured? We dealt pretty damn well with a few pieces missing like the OT's, but then we lost the FB and TE that was blocking really well and our OL just completely went to shit. Also, Kolb plays, we beat Minny, no doubt. I'll try to pull out my crystal health ball next season, buddy.

Sorry dude, your team sucks and they were 2001 Bears lucky during their winning streak. The Cardinals had won every single game during that streak by 7 points or less. Now the luck has run out and they are back to mediocrity.

squicken

This is clearly the source of your salt, you just can't wrap your mind around a team winning these kind of games over and over again. If we had as much luck as you suggest, we'd be in the SB.

The only salt I have is for the cheating Seahawks. I have admiration for the 49ers. Great coach, great owner, great players (except for Alex and the WRs). For AZ I have nothing . I respect your devotion to your team and I wish you could see you guys belong on the loser bus. It would make it easier for you

Bowser

I'm always weary of bringing in the assistant. It could just be that Reese is that good. As for Xanders I think Bowlen made that hire. Not that there's any reason to hire him. Might as well fire Rivera and then bring in two guys who can work together but have a clear division of authority. They need to have the same vision on how they want to build, which Rivera and Hurney clearly didn't

True, but I think the Giants organization is as good of an incubator as you can get. They've had a pretty sustained run of success starting with Accorsi and now Reese, and while their last several drafts seem to have more misses than hits, the hits have been pretty damn good.

I also wouldn't be opposed to plucking someone from New England's front office (possibly Director of Player Personnel Nick Caserio?). While Pioli hasn't panned out (he seems like too much of a control freak), Falcons' GM Thomas Dimitroff came from NE and they've had a sustained run of success with winning records every season since his hire.

I'm honestly surprised the Bears didn't hire him when they were on their GM search this off-season. Reese has been grooming him for a GM position for awhile now. I'll hate to lose him but it's an unavoidable eventuality. I trust/hope Reese has the right person to step in and fill those shoes when he does move on.

Honestly, I'm just hoping to hire someone from the front offices of sustained successful teams such as the Giants, Steelers, Ravens, etc. But Ross, at this point, gives me the most hope for righting the ship. Which of course means we're probably going with someone no one's ever heard of.

Squall ASF said:
Nothing lucky about that 4-0 run.
So if/when they don't make the playoffs this year - will that still matter? I don't get why you care one way or the other whether someone calls it luck or skill. Chances are you aren't going anywhere with the offensive line and quarterback you have at the moment so really - who gives as shit? I don't get the argument.

Bowser said:
and while their last several drafts seem to have more misses than hits, the hits have been pretty damn good.
That's a fair assessment. I think the misses have been relegated to the later rounds. They also have a few players that are developing and are currently depth at some key positions from the later rounds as well. i.e. the rounds you should be gambling on.

2009 Draft:

1st: Hakeem Nicks - (Hit)
2nd: Clint Sintim - (Miss. Probably the worst miss in the Reese era to be frank)
2nd: William Beatty (Hit. LT of the future)
3rd: Ramses Barden WR (Draw. Finally developing but again mostly depth behind a stacked position)
3rd: Travis Beckum TE (Miss as of right now. Beckum keeps flashing but hasn't developed)
4th: Andre Brown RB (Hit. Even if it was a little late:) )
5th: Rhett Bomar QB (Miss but you bring in a QB with Eli on your roster for development anyway)
6th: DeAndre Wright (Miss, didn't even make the roster)
7th: Stoney Woodson (Miss, didn't even make the roster)

2010:

1st: Jason Pierre Paul (Hit)
2nd: Linval Joseph (Hit)
3rd: Chad Jones (Freak car accident. No longer playing for anyone)
4th: Phillip Dillard (Miss)
5th: Mitch Petrus (Depth at Guard - Draw)
6th: Adrian Tracy (Depth at DE/LB Playing more snaps in 2012 and registered first sack against SF. Development guy - Draw)
7th: Matt Dodge, P (Missed about as bad as his punts)

2011:

1st: Prince Amukamara (Starter and playing very well right now. Won't label a hit yet though.)
2nd: Marvin Austin (slowed by injury - finally getting reps so too early to call)
3rd: Jerrel Jernigan (WR depth - with the ridiculous amount of WR depth we have, who knows what happens with him?)
4th: James Brewer (OT) (Depth at Tackle, developmental guy.)
6th: Greg Jones (ILB) Mich St (Miss. Played decent but better players at the position)
6th: Tyler Sash (S) Iowa (Safety depth. Good ST'er)
6th: Jacquian Williams (LB) S Florida (Hit. Excellent speed at LB'er and learning more with each game)
7th: Da'Rel Scott (RB) Maryland (On IR, lost in numbers. Miss)

Oh look Mario Williams whining again:

Then how about you go sit the hell down wtf

watch him not play against the Texans in 2 weeks
smh

Despite the trauma the Bills caused me with the Oilers, I have nothing against that franchise. I actually feel sorry for them signing Mario (and to that retarded contract to boot).

On the other hand, I'm glad they superduper overpaid for him, so the Texans didn't mess up and re-sign him. :D

The thing about injuries is everyone gets them. If Hernandez doesn't get hurt against the cards, they don't even start 2-0.
Very true concerning injuries and you have to man up and overcome them. When you have one or two. When they pile up this much in critical areas, good luck have THAT much depth.
Sorry dude, your team sucks and they were 2001 Bears lucky during their winning streak. The Cardinals had won every single game during that streak by 7 points or less. Now the luck has run out and they are back to mediocrity.
You guys must love broken records. For the thousandth time, we did this going back to last season's stretch. It wasn't a 4-0 run that went this way, it was an 11-2 run that played out this way. Do you really want to call 11 of 13 games ending in such a way luck?
The only salt I have is for the cheating Seahawks. I have admiration for the 49ers. Great coach, great owner, great players (except for Alex and the WRs). For AZ I have nothing . I respect your devotion to your team and I wish you could see you guys belong on the loser bus. It would make it easier for you
Right, I should ignore that we've turned into a top defense with mostly young players. That we locked up Fitz and other core pieces. Woe is us! Surely we'll never get good going this route! Take a look at our defensive stats. #3 in sacks, #4 in pass defense, #4 in points allowed (stat that truly matters). In the top 10 overall just as I predicted. The top two teams in the NFL at preventing touchdowns the past 16 games? Niners with 21 allowed and Cards with 22. But you know, totally overrated.
So if/when they don't make the playoffs this year - will that still matter? I don't get why you care one way or the other whether someone calls it luck or skill. Chances are you aren't going anywhere with the offensive line and quarterback you have at the moment so really - who gives as shit? I don't get the argument.
*shrug* it's a message board and I'm defending my team. I don't lose sleep over it, but if I see nonsense spouted I address it.

Doorman

First thing: Brandon Marshall, shut up.

Secondly: Now that the Lions season is over I think it's a fair time to take a little retrospective look at the ups and downs that 2012 brought us to where we are now, as we prepare for the 2013 NFL draft.
To begin with an overall summary of the team's position: Fuck the Lions.
I mentioned this last night but I find it borderline hilarious that all of the fan-moaning that was done at the beginning of the year came about how the front office failed to adequately address and improve the defense, and how we'd have to win all of our games in crazy shootouts. Somehow we all had the priorities way off, as the offense has been nothing short of an absolute abject fucking failure, the defense has been merely mediocre (which actually is surpassing expectations) and the special teams have been nothing short of an absolute abject fucking failure. The veneer of last year's fluke wins has chipped away far sooner than I expected, and the scathing words of that anonymous GM from a couple weeks ago continues to ring true. I don't have faith in Stafford to ever live up to what he did last year, Calvin has gone back to being the best distraction in the NFL and a good-but-not-great receiver, and every other player on the offense ranges from mediocre to irrelevant. Linehan needs to get into the lab something fierce or I'll be joining the call for his head at the end of the season. Special teams coordinator Danny Crossman should already be fired, and Stefan Logan must be cut not just for the fumbles last night, but a sustained history of simply not being that good.

I can't call for Schwartz to be fired because he just signed that contract extension, so wanting him gone would just be yelling at a wall and I won't waste the effort. I will reiterate something that I concluded a few weeks ago, though: I think that Jim Schwartz will eventually be a good head coach in the league, but it will be for his NEXT team, not here in Detroit. I don't believe we will ever win a super bowl with him at the helm. This year is already toast, and I don't anticipate reaching the playoffs in 2013 with this group, either.

Doorman

Way to give up all hope on the season.

It's like the last few years in the NFL haven't happened or something.

Well, unless four teams in the same division can somehow make the playoffs now, then yes. I don't see how the team will reach even its most minimum expectation from the year, which means it's time to figure out how to fix it.

Mrbob

You guys must love broken records. For the thousandth time, we did this going back to last season's stretch. It wasn't a 4-0 run that went this way, it was an 11-2 run that played out this way. Do you really want to call 11 of 13 games ending in such a way luck?

Here are the scores during their 11 out of 13 streak:

19-13 W OT
21-17 W
7-23 L
23-20 W
19-13 W OT
21-19 W
20-17 W
16-23 L
23-20 W
20-16 W
20-18 W
27-6 W (Eagles break down game)
24-21 W OT

Looking at those Ws, it's hard to argue that lady luck wasn't on the Cardinals side.

Draxal

That's a fair assessment. I think the misses have been relegated to the later rounds. They also have a few players that are developing and are currently depth at some key positions from the later rounds as well. i.e. the rounds you should be gambling on.

2012 draft is looking really good with Hosley/Kuhn seeing a ton of playing time along with Wilson's special teams and Randle showing flashes when he played. 2009 was the weakest draft, 2010 was extremely good if you count Cruz. 2011's bottom was amazing (especially the free agent class getting Hynoski/Herzlich/Paysinger), however I don't think you can give Scott a miss, if Jernigan gets a pass. Scott has actually done more (special teams/Jernigan's not a special teams weapon like we though he was), being drafted a lot later and being buried on the depth chart like Jernigan is

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

19-13 W OT
21-17 W
7-23 L
23-20 W
19-13 W OT
21-19 W
20-17 W
16-23 L
23-20 W
20-16 W
20-18 W
24-21 W OT

Looking at those Ws, it's hard to argue that lady luck wasn't on the Cardinals side.

Looking at those numbers, I can only conclude that Skeletor is clutch as fuck.

Wes

venison crêpe
Greg Zuerlein at Regent's Park in London:

"I don't even know what this place is, is it a park?"

Bowser

Quick little comparison (only passing) of two "breakout" QBs from last year:

Player A: 164/264 (62.1%), 1,754 yards (6.6 YPA), 5 TDs, 6 INTs (2.3% INT), 78.4 QB rating
Player B: 101/173 (58.4%), 1,387 yards (8.0 YPA), 5 TDs, 6 INTs (3.5% INT), 79.3 QB rating

Yet I don't seem to hear about Player A much nationally...

Player A: Fatford
Player B: Cam obviously

Draxal said:
2012 draft is looking really good with Hosley/Kuhn
There's a ton of question marks with it, too. Jernigan could easily be odd man out if Randle develops and there's no question Reese brought some these guys in to hedge on the possibility that he may not be able to sign both Nicks and Cruz (I hope I'm wrong there).

Wilson is the future at RB. Plain and simple. It will take time to develop him but Ahmad's feet aren't going to hold up and it's nice that we have Andre Brown stepping up.

I love the Hosely pick but you can tell by that pass to Moss that he still has a ways to go...

squicken

I remember telling someone that football was bigger in the Germany than the UK, maybe Wrayfield?, and him wanting a link on that. Here's a kind of long piece on the NFL's plans for European expansion.

Right now, American football ranks seventh or eighth on the list. Soccer (obviously) tops the charts over there. The next cluster includes cricket, rugby and tennis. After that, golf and motorsports. And then, American football and, believe it or not, darts. So based on that, the NFL would have to pass golf and motorsports in UK popularity for the league to seriously consider what some of football's biggest power brokers have high on their agenda, breaking into the London market full-time.

Taking that next step won't be easy, but Parsons was able to cite plenty of progress over the first six years of the Wembley incarnation of the International Series. Over that period, the league has gone from having two sponsor partners across the pond to 12, while regular-season ratings in the UK are up over 150 percent. Also on the rise: traffic to NFL.com, "NFL Game Pass" (Europe's "NFL Sunday Ticket" equivalent) subscriptions and "Madden NFL" sales.

With this growth, it's easy to see why the league has focused so intently on London and the UK, rather than branching out to places like Germany -- where football has been more popular than it is in England, but issues like television distribution exist.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-league-entering-new-phase-of-uk-project#four

Greg Zuerlein at Regent's Park in London:

"I don't even know what this place is, is it a park?"

Saw that. Was pretty funny. In fairness to them the beat writer said the fog was so bad they couldn't see the surrounding buildings on the bus ride over, and none of them had gotten much sleep since they left STL

19-13 W OT
21-17 W
7-23 L
23-20 W
19-13 W OT
21-19 W
20-17 W
16-23 L
23-20 W
20-16 W
20-18 W
24-21 W OT

I watched every one of those games, you probably didn't. We came back in the 4th on a regular basis. Experiencing those cardiac arrest finishes so often instills confidence for those situations, it instills heart that prevents the players from mentally quitting. Our team believes we can win every single close game because we have done it so many times before. It amazes me that anyone can think we got lucky that many times in close succession. No team in the NFL gets lucky that many times. I think 11 of 13 is a pretty damn good sample size to suggest it's more than luck.

I've now argued this same point repeatedly, I'm done. If you guys want to continue to be delusional about it, be my guest.

mr2xxx

Banned
Quick little comparison (only passing) of two "breakout" QBs from last year:

Player A: 164/264 (62.1%), 1,754 yards (6.6 YPA), 5 TDs, 6 INTs (2.3% INT), 78.4 QB rating
Player B: 101/173 (58.4%), 1,387 yards (8.0 YPA), 5 TDs, 6 INTs (3.5% INT), 79.3 QB rating

Yet I don't seem to hear about Player A much nationally...

Player A: Fatford
Player B: Cam obviously

Why even ask this because you know the answer is because Cam could run while Fatford could barely waddle across the LOS.

Forgot to add that Stafford was hurt throughout the season so it's tough to hype up a guy who is in a sling.

squicken

Couple of notes on CAR

From the NFL.com piece earlier

. There is, though, a good way to take advantage of this timing. History can explain. The Packers hired Ron Wolf in November of 1991. The Dolphins hired Bill Parcells in December of 2007, and the reason they did it then, as one person who's been around Parcells put it, was to "give him a chance to assess the damage."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...hort-bears-and-lions-play-a-misdirection-game

If Carolina wants to rebuild, they'll likely have to go ahead and make some big cuts this offseason. It seems likely that they would cut the likes of Williams, Jon Beason, Gamble, James Anderson, and Charles Godfrey, while probably giving serious thought to trading or releasing Steve Smith. The Panthers simply won't have the cap space to make investments under new management without getting rid of those guys, and even then, they won't be able to dip back into the free agent market until 2014.

That makes the Carolina job very unappealing for the league's up-and-coming managerial candidates; while the presence of a franchise quarterback is always exciting, your options are a bad team that's capped out or a bad team that will be terrible for the next year and a half. Furthermore, the situation creates an ugly situation in the Carolina front office that will make it difficult to conduct business for the rest of the season. Everybody in football operations — from management down through the scouts to the quality-control guys — will be spending the rest of the season under what essentially amounts to lame-duck status. Do you think that will encourage people to put in 16-hour days before the draft? And if you're a scout, do you really want to make that extra trip to check out a guy when you're probably going to be working for a new team in May?

Honestly, I'm just hoping to hire someone from the front offices of sustained successful teams such as the Giants, Steelers, Ravens, etc. But Ross, at this point, gives me the most hope for righting the ship. Which of course means we're probably going with someone no one's ever heard of.

We both know Ol Jerry's going with the cheapest option possible.

Doorman

I watched every one of those games, you probably didn't. We came back in the 4th on a regular basis. Experiencing those cardiac arrest finishes so often instills confidence for those situations, it instills heart that prevents the players from mentally quitting. Our team believes we can win every single close game because we have done it so many times before. It amazes me that anyone can think we got lucky that many times in close succession. No team in the NFL gets lucky that many times. I think 11 of 13 is a pretty damn good sample size to suggest it's more than luck.

I've now argued this same point repeatedly, I'm done. If you guys want to continue to be delusional about it, be my guest.

Wow, this all sounds so oddly familiar. Oh wait, that's right, Lions fans were saying this early last year after a season full of 4th quarter comebacks, and how it gave the team the heart and confidence to become winners. It wasn't just a fluke.

Oh, wait.

Draxal

There's a ton of question marks with it, too. Jernigan could easily be odd man out if Randle develops and there's no question Reese brought some these guys in to hedge on the possibility that he may not be able to sign both Nicks and Cruz (I hope I'm wrong there).

Wilson is the future at RB. Plain and simple. It will take time to develop him but Ahmad's feet aren't going to hold up and it's nice that we have Andre Brown stepping up.

I love the Hosely pick but you can tell by that pass to Moss that he still has a ways to go...

He didn't play that well, but Rolle was totally lost on that play, he had no safety help.

ari

Banned
Some teams can give up now. Well, teams in the NFC. AFC anything is possible except for a couple of teams

Actually, the NFC is far from wrapped up. The NFC north is gonna come done to a game or two. The NFC east have all four capable teams that can turn around fast, and i believe the saints won't be too far off the falcons throats. Also, the Niners don't have that division wrapped up by any stretch of FMTs imagination. The NFC is a total competitive conference with the exceptions of two shit teams in the south...(bucs and panthers)

Yes, i do believe the saints and lions isn't as shitty as their records.

fun fact: i called the nfc west a close race doing the offseason....come at me bros.

Bowser

Why even ask this because you know the answer is because Cam could run while Fatford could barely waddle across the LOS.

Forgot to add that Stafford was hurt throughout the season so it's tough to hype up a guy who is in a sling.

Stafford was healthy all last season, no? And he's played every snap this season. I wasn't comparing the two players' respective year 2s, I was comparing their #s this season compared to last season. Both players were deemed to be "breakout" players last season, Newon his rookie year obviously, and Stafford the first year he was healthy all season.

I honestly don't think it's going to deter too many people. As bad as the situation seems, teams are always going through a bunch of financial engineering to make cap room. It's pretty clear that some veterans will be asked to restructure in the off-season, and some will be cut.

Also, there's only 32 GM gigs in the NFL - just because we're not the Patriots, Steelers, Giants, etc., doesn't mean the job isn't valuable.

We both know Ol Jerry's going with the cheapest option possible.

I am doubting that right now. I think he was hoping he could get away with that this season after the promise the team showed last season. Obviously, that was a mirage against shit teams with incapable QBs or retarded HCs.

Bottom line is, the man is 76, he's already had a heart transplant, and he's aware that he's not long for this world. I think he's finally to the point where he wants to overhaul the culture of the team and get at least one ring before his time is up.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Actually, the NFC is far from wrapped up. The NFC north is gonna come done to a game or two. The NFC east have all four capable teams that can turn around fast, and i believe the saints won't be too far off the falcons throats. Also, the Niners don't have that division wrapped up by any stretch of FMTs imagination. The NFC is a total competitive conference with the exceptions of two shit teams in the south...(bucs and panthers)

Yes, i do believe the saints and lions isn't as shitty as their records.

fun fact: i called the nfc west a close race doing the offseason....come at me bros.
freudian slip :O?

effzee

King Dunlap starting on Sunday?

Nice.

He is no worse or better than Bell. I guess this move is to just shake it up.

The interior of the line is the true culprit in terms of just allowing free pass rushers. Westbrook pointed out today that guard Danny Watkins, who the Eagles wasted a first round pick on last draft even though he is already 28, is confused and guessing. Brilliant pick Andy!

Doorman

Stafford was healthy all last season, no? And he's played every snap this season. I wasn't comparing the two players' respective year 2s, I was comparing their #s this season compared to last season. Both players were deemed to be "breakout" players last season, Newon his rookie year obviously, and Stafford the first year he was healthy all season.

He played in every game, true, but there was a stretch in the middle of the year of about 3-4 games where he played with a broken finger. That's when he started having worse games and threw a ton of his interceptions from that year. So yes, he played, but it was at a detriment and he has yet to complete a "fully-healthy" season.

And there's a reason why Cam's fall from grace has been getting more coverage than Stafford's: Cam's rise was also given more hype than Stafford's last year. Newton was elected to the pro-bowl as a rookie, Stafford wasn't, even though he put together a better statistical season (hell he got passed over for Eli Manning and Tony friggin' Romo too). Stafford hasn't gotten as much credit nor gotten much blame because I just don't think that the national media considers him (or the Lions as a whole) to truly be all that relevant yet. I'm inclined to agree.
Also: Stafford didn't just go on a public pouty rant about how he doesn't know what's wrong and saying his team is clueless about how to fix their problems. That tends to net you a few more cameras.

mr2xxx

Banned

I was thinking you were comparing their rookie seasons. But if your asking why Cam is getting shit on this year while Stafford has not then the only logical thing would have to be:

1) His pouty attitude. Stafford may eat away the pain but at least he isn't about to breakdown after every shitty loss .
2) Despite Stafford having an amazing last year no one was really talking about it, while everyone was hyping Cam up and you know how the media works, they will build up and just as quickly break you down.
3)Cam also had a lot of haters and they are out in full force now to make up for last year.

Bowser

He played in every game, true, but there was a stretch in the middle of the year of about 3-4 games where he played with a broken finger. That's when he started having worse games and threw a ton of his interceptions from that year. So yes, he played, but it was at a detriment and he has yet to complete a "fully-healthy" season.

And there's a reason why Cam's fall from grace has been getting more coverage than Stafford's: Cam's rise was also given more hype than Stafford's last year. Newton was elected to the pro-bowl as a rookie, Stafford wasn't, even though he put together a better statistical season (hell he got passed over for Eli Manning and Tony friggin' Romo too). Stafford hasn't gotten as much credit nor gotten much blame because I just don't think that the national media considers him (or the Lions as a whole) to truly be all that relevant yet. I'm inclined to agree.
Also: Stafford didn't just go on a public pouty rant about how he doesn't know what's wrong and saying his team is clueless about how to fix their problems. That tends to net you a few more cameras.

Ah, didn't remember that he had broken his finger. And yeah, I think it was a bit of a travesty that Stafford wasn't elected to the Pro Bowl. It was an insane year for QBs last season, but he deserved to go.

The personality stuff rings true as well, I don't even know how Stafford feels about this season.

I was thinking you were comparing their rookie seasons. But if your asking why Cam is getting shit on this year while Stafford has not then the only logical thing would have to be:

1) His pouty attitude. Stafford may eat away the pain but at least he isn't about to breakdown after every shitty loss .
2) Despite Stafford having an amazing last year no one was really talking about it, while everyone was hyping Cam up and you know how the media works, they will build up and just as quickly break you down.
3)Cam also had a lot of haters and they are out in full force now to make up for last year.

True on all counts. I hope Cam can work on his post-game attitude...it's the one thing critics feed on and it does seem to affect morale on the team as well.

Cam has the maturity of a teenager and is not a team player.
He sees football games not as a way to better the record of the Carolina Panthers, but as an opportunity to glorify himself. He bought into the hype last year and thought he was going to set the NFL on fire. Now he is acting like a brat who is too dumb to stoically accept the slowly unfolding truth. In short he's an idiot and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a very short career. Dude is not leader material.

Talamius

That Grantland article is an example of why Hurney had to go now. Keep him around and the damage only gets worse. In the 2013 draft Carolina has traded their 3rd round, 7th round and an undetermined pick for Frank Alexander, Colin Jones and Louis Murphy. He had to go while we still had picks to use. Yes, this year is a lost cause. Yes, the Panthers will be financially strapped in 2013. The upside is Carolina can contain the damage, shed a ton of contracts and be ready to roll by 2014. Who knows, since everyone will predict us to be garbage in 2013 then maybe we'll overachieve. Seems to be the pattern: Carolina overachieves when predicted to do poorly, and shits the bed when predicted to be good.

Top Bottom