• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

Not that the Jags were winning anyways but with Gabbert out this guarantees Jags will receive the #1 pick in April.

Geno Smith Future!

Would the Jags really draft a new QB? I know the current regime didnt draft Gabbert but I thought that people with the team were high on him now.

So... I just ordered a jaguars hat from amazon and it has both the jaguars and the ravens symbol on the hat... Is amazon trying to tell me something?

It was this hat but instead of the larger jaguars symbol in white, it has the ravens symbol... The symbol in the center is still the jaguars.

Its a memorial hat from that shitty thursday night game from last year.

Never forget.

jmdajr

I ask because I consider schaub to be slightly above average at the quarterback position. So if Cutler is worse than schaub then we can agree that he is a middle of the road qb?

Ok so who's better flaclol, or cutler

Quarterback Won/Loss Records

Well there is where we stand all time...

Wins Loss
Matt Scahub 38 35
Joe Flacco 54 26
Jay Cutler 47 39

Granted doesn't take into account defense, qb ratings, margin of loss, opponents etc etc etc.

Bowser

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ticism-of-newton-is-off-base-possibly-racist/

Shocking news.... Warren moon defends cam against the white devil!

Nothing he's saying is false though, especially this bit:

Moon also doesn’t think the Panthers coaches are putting Newton in good positions to succeed by ignoring the run game with the talent they have, and leaning too heavily on the read-option principles he ran in college.

“I don’t know why they got away from what they were doing last year,” Moon said. “They were running more of a pro-style offense, and now they’re going more to the read-option, the stuff he did in college. I think some of it is coaching. I think some of it is they don’t have enough good players yet. And there’s no question he’s not playing as well as last year.

“That offense doesn’t allow you to be an NFL-type quarterback. It’s a lot of tricks, sticking the ball into a running back’s stomach, trying to freeze the defense. Even though he can do that and had success with it in college, I don’t think it serves him well in the long run. You can’t keep going back and forth. I think he’s a little bit confused with the footwork, and I think that’s one of the problems with his accuracy – his feet are crossed up. Why this change? I think it’s backfiring. I think they’re out-thinking themselves.”

Fucking Chud...trying to prove how smart he is to land a HC gig and all he's doing is coaching himself out of a job, period.

Fucking Chud...trying to prove how smart he is to land a HC gig and all he's doing is coaching himself out of a job, period.

The Skins do that same stuff with RGIII sticking the ball in the RBs stomach and then taking it back. No one is complaining about their OC.

This is a really nice post. Out of curiosity, do you think the Vikings will finish better than 8-8 this year, at this point?

Good question.

I have to say- yes.
Looking at the rest of the schedule, I see possibly 5 more loses (either or both games against the Bears and Packers, Texans, and maybe the Seahawks in Seattle).
Coming back after the bye is going to be absolutely brutal and will be a true test of what this team has become & could be in the future.

Then again, the Vikes could play up against Houston for a win (ala SF) and down to a team like the Rams.
After beating Detroit at home I think the Vikes can handle them in the dome. Last night showed me a Detroit team with a lot of talent, but some critical problems.
I'd like for the Vikings to split with both the Bears and the Packers, mostly because if this team can't win divisional games their end-of-season record ultimately doesn't matter much. I'm not drinking enough of the purple kool-aid to think they can beat either/or team both times they play them, unless either Cutler or Rodgers go down for the season.

I'm feeling like 9-7 or 10-6 is doable for this team in 2012.
As a Vikings fan, I also feel like 7-9 could easily happen as well... especially if they have more games offensively like they did against Arizona (no slight to AZ. Their defense is fantastic).

Regardless, they are showing improvement (I mean... 3-13 last year, for fuck sake!) and I am very happy with the way Spielman is drafting in the past two years.

mr2xxx

Banned
So... I just ordered a jaguars hat from amazon and it has both the jaguars and the ravens symbol on the hat... Is amazon trying to tell me something?

It was this hat but instead of the larger jaguars symbol in white, it has the ravens symbol... The symbol in the center is still the jaguars.

Great idea for multi-teamers, "Can't decide what team you want to represent this week? We got you covered. Now wear your love for the Steelers and Patriots all n one place"

Bowser

The Skins do that same stuff with RGIII sticking the ball in the RBs stomach and then taking it back. No one is complaining about their OC.

Wait til teams have more than 6 games worth of footage. That read-option crap is not an NFL offense. It's ok to throw it in as a look, but it is not what should be used as a team's base offense. Employing it full time is just holding Cam's growth back.

Moon is also spot on about Cam's demeanor:

"The big thing with him is he doesn't like losing," Moon said Monday. "He doesn't handle it very well. I don't see anything wrong with that; it's OK not to like losing. You just can't show it as the leader of the football team.

"You have to project optimism and calmness to the players around you. You can't be demoralized. He's not showing optimism. He's looking puzzled. He looks like a guy who doesn't have all the answers, and his teammates see that."

In fact Moon, who helped prepare Newton before the Panthers selected him with the first overall pick of the 2011 NFL draft, would like to see Newton emulate the young quarterback he's currently mentoring: Seattle Seahawks rookie Russell Wilson.
"You wouldn't know if we won or lost when you listen to him talk after a game," Moon said of Wilson. "That's what you want. Listen to Tom Brady or Peyton Manning after a game. They keep everything even-keeled. They never get too high or too low.

"Cam's an emotional player. He needs to learn to saddle that. If I was to talk to him – and I need to give him a call – I would tell him his demeanor's got to change in the face of adversity. It's more of a maturity thing; he's got to grow up in this area. He's got to get realistic that they're not a good football team right now and it's going to be tough to win as much as he thinks he should, until they get some more good players."

I didn't think he said anything wrong either really. Black QBs are often compared to other black QBs for better or for worse. I don't think that's racist though but it is unfortunate.

I guess it'd make him feel better if the whiny QB with no leadership skills that Cam is compared to was white though. Either way it's not praise so I'm not sure how much that helps you, but whatever.

effzee

It's not necessarily immaturity, it's not taking responsibility and always moping around.

I watched his last press conference. He did it put it on himself as well.

Its just how he reacts and looks. I do think its being immature. He needs to channel that anger from losing into something positive. But if it affects his team because it brings them down then he needs to grow up and stop it.

Great idea for multi-teamers, "Can't decide what team you want to represent this week? We got you covered. Now wear your love for the Steelers and Patriots all n one place"

Ya, I'm assuming it's a misprint... I was thinking the same thing, I thought maybe there was a drop down box I missed or something where you chose what the second logo was or something. :lol

Edit: Picture of the hat :lol

klSPm.jpg

Bowser

It's not necessarily immaturity, it's not taking responsibility and always moping around.

I understand the moping around part, but I'm not with you on the not taking responsibility part. He's always stressing presser after presser that he needs to cut down his mistakes and elevate his level of play. I think he knows that how he goes, so goes the offense.

But really, this new junk offensive system we apparently installed over the off-season is not doing Newton, the offense, or the coaches any favors.

effzee

I didn't think he said anything wrong either really. Black QBs are often compared to other black QBs for better or for worse. I don't think that's racist though but it is unfortunate.

I guess it'd make him feel better if the whiny QB with no leadership skills that Cam is compared to was white though. Either way it's not praise so I'm not sure how much that helps you, but whatever.

Probably because the era he played in was much worse for black QBs and the stereotypes associated with them.

squicken

Regardless, they are showing improvement (I mean... 3-13 last year, for fuck sake!) and I am very happy with the way Spielman is drafting in the past two years.

Loved Kalil and he's everything you could hope for, plus you fleeced the Brownies for an injury prone player you didn't even want. Harvin, AP, and Kalil are a good foundation. Not so much Ponder but maybe? QBs should take a big step in year two, and not many have the surrounding offensive talent that he does.

Hey I put that footnote in there...

also my favorite

David Carr 23 56!

dat 0.291

so awful. I will always wonder though about putting him behind that line and having no running backs and Billy Miller as the best WR. Never has any rookie QB had a worse situation. Some maybe just as bad, but none worse

Also LOL at Apple and $329. I don't think they understand the draw of 7" entry level tablets, though I'm sure their fans will eat it up

Striker

I watched his last press conference. He did it put it on himself as well.

Its just how he reacts and looks. I do think its being immature. He needs to channel that anger from losing into something positive. But if it affects his team because it brings them down then he needs to grow up and stop it.
The suggestion box thing was a joke; if I were Steve Smith I'd punch him in the jaw.

There are no positives. The sound you heard after the AFC Championship game was the Ravens window slamming shut. And that sound you heard after this past game, it was the other shoe dropping. We were waiting with baited breathe for this bad defense and bad offense to show up, and it did. It's over and done for us. We're now a moderate to poor team. We're the Cowboys, and it's going to be like that for a while. At least as long as we have Flacco.

Our only chance to make the playoffs is the shit AFC North. We're going 9-7, and only because we started out winning 5 of 6. This offense is not good. This defense is not good. Our coaching to not good. Dean Pease, Cam Cameron suck, and John Harbaugh is getting smug. He's as much a beneficiary of the Ravens Defense as Flacco. Let's see how he handles some adversity.

Suggs looked good. That's a positive. But he also looked fat, so it cancelled it out.

welcome to mediocrity, brother! The great news is we're still the best two teams in our shitty division so it'll be like two old-assed boxers throwing half hearted punches at each other.

mr2xxx

Banned
Wait til teams have more than 6 games worth of footage. That read-option crap is not an NFL offense. It's ok to throw it in as a look, but it is not what should be used as a team's base offense. Employing it full time is just holding Cam's growth back.

Seriously doubt Teams stop Rg3 next year like they are doing with Cam this year. RG3 is just a much better passer than Cam, way more accurate and better decision making. On top of that his leadership hasn't come into question despite four tough losses, he is just more mature than Cam. Then you have the Shannahan's who are better coordinators than Chud and they will continue to evolve the offense as RG3 matures as a player.

LJ11

It comes down to play calling and execution, there's no reason why you can't use it effectively. Very similar to the Texans/Broncos boot game in theory, just have another run threat to hold the backside end. Simply comes down to using it properly/not over using it. RGIII/Skins aren't using it in some new fashion that's throwing off teams, they're just executing it properly and not over doing it.

Edit: What I'm saying is don't just do it for the sake of doing it, mix it in and move on. Honestly look at it like a PA Boot. Some of these OCs have no business trying to run triple options because they don't know how to coach it properly.

tmdorsey

Also LOL at Apple and $329. I don't think they understand the draw of 7" entry level tablets, though I'm sure their fans will eat it up

I like Apple products so I guess that makes me a "fan" and as a "fan" I have no interest in the Mini.

Now that iMac on the other hand....

eznark

Banned
It comes down to play calling and execution, there's no reason why you can't use it effectively. Very similar to the Texans/Broncos boot game in theory, just have another run threat to hold the backside end. Simply comes down to using it properly/not over using it. RGIII/Skins aren't using it in some new fashion that's throwing off teams, they're just executing it properly and not over doing it.

They also had/have solid route runners though. The Panthers don't really have that discipline in their skill positions to be able to find holes and settle giving Cam easy release valves on play action.

edit: scratch that, I thought Olsen had been hurt the past couple games. He's actually good at that.

Bowser

The suggestion box thing was a joke; if I were Steve Smith I'd punch him in the jaw.

I agree, the whole thing about the suggestion box was ill-conceived and it shouldn't have been said. You gotta remember though, he's 23 years old and probably, at least in his sporting life/career, truly at a loss for words as to how to explain what's wrong and why the team isn't winning. I'm not disagreeing in that he has strides to make in the way he handles the losses and how he projects himself when things aren't going the Panthers way, but to say he takes no accountability is harsh and flat out wrong.

And while I love Smitty, I'm not sure he's anyone to talk or really be seen as a role model - his issues have been well publicized, and honestly, it was just 2 years ago when he gave minimal effort (although with the shit platter of Matt Moore/Jimmy Clausen/Brian St. Pierre at QB, can't blame him too much) and had one foot out the door. Don't forget, everyone from fans to "experts" were calling him washed up, the "other Steve Smith" until Cam arrived last season.

Edit: What I'm saying is don't just do it for the sake of doing it, mix it in and move on. Honestly look at it like a PA Boot. Some of these OCs have no business trying to run triple options because they don't know how to coach it properly.

I'm not sure we disagree here. I agree with what you're saying - it's a great look to mix in and throw a defense off balance. But Chud and the Panthers are using the read-option on, literally, 80-85% of the offensive snaps. It doesn't allow our RBs or Cam to get into a rhythm, especially now that we've got a patchwork offensive line missing its protection general and best overall player

I agree, the whole thing about the suggestion box was ill-conceived and it shouldn't have been said. You gotta remember though, he's 23 years old and probably, at least in his sporting life/career, truly at a loss for words as to how to explain what's wrong and why the team isn't winning. I'm not disagreeing in that he has strides to make in the way he handles the losses and how he projects himself when things aren't going the Panthers way, but to say he takes no accountability is harsh and flat out wrong.

And while I love Smitty, I'm not sure he's anyone to talk or really be seen as a role model - his issues have been well publicized, and honestly, it was just 2 years ago when he gave minimal effort (although with the shit platter of Matt Moore/Jimmy Clausen/Brian St. Pierre at QB, can't blame him too much) and had one foot out the door. Don't forget, everyone from fans to "experts" were calling him washed up, the "other Steve Smith" until Cam arrived last season.
He's sounds like a spoiled brat that's gotten everything he ever wanted so the first time something goes bad he thinks the world is ending. Can he "grow" out of it? Sure. But it doesnt have anything to do with age

squicken

I agree, the whole thing about the suggestion box was ill-conceived and it shouldn't have been said. You gotta remember though, he's 23 years old and probably, at least in his sporting life/career, truly at a loss for words as to how to explain what's wrong and why the team isn't winning. I'm not disagreeing in that he has strides to make in the way he handles the losses and how he projects himself when things aren't going the Panthers way, but to say he takes no accountability is harsh and flat out wrong..

Every year there are 23 year old QBs getting destroyed by the league. You can probably count on one hand the number who have handled it worse than Cam. I'm not saying you give up on the guy, but you sure as hell break the glass on the panic button

LJ11

They also had/have solid route runners though. The Panthers don't really have that discipline in their skill positions to be able to find holes and settle giving Cam easy release valves on play action.

Honestly, I don't know what the Panthers are doing, I don't think they know what they're doing either, and that's the problem. No identity.

I'm not sure we disagree here. I agree with what you're saying - it's a great look to mix in and throw a defense off balance. But Chud and the Panthers are using the read-option on, literally, 80-85% of the offensive snaps. It doesn't allow our RBs or Cam to get into a rhythm, especially now that we've got a patchwork offensive line missing its protection general and best overall player

Yeah, that's way too much. And to reiterate, I truly wonder how well they're coaching it to begin with. You see some of the stuff Chip Kelly does in the run game, it's fun to watch and looks difficult to execute, but it would be harder to pull off in the NFL simply because the hash marks are narrow and you'd need an incredibly gifted Center to move around and block the way they want him to. Not a problem at the college level.

Bowser

He's sounds like a spoiled brat that's gotten everything he ever wanted so the first time something goes bad he thinks the world is ending. Can he "grow" out of it? Sure. But it doesnt have anything to do with age

That is kind of how he takes losing - he's never experienced it and to he's at a loss to explain it. And considering he's in a results-based profession and he's the one who's regarded as the most important aspect to getting Ws, yeah, for him to keep losing is the world ending for him. Does he need to approach on with a more even-keeled tone. Yes, no doubt. But calling him a spoiled brat is a bit much.

It's clear we have our own opinions here though, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Honestly, I don't know what the Panthers are doing, I don't think they know what they're doing either, and that's the problem. No identity.

This, this, a thousand times this. John Fox may have ended on a sour note in Carolina, but he had a clear vision for his teams. He was going to pound you with a smash mouth running game to set up deep shots over the top, and play a bend-but-don't-break defense that kept everything in front of them and got the stops that it needed. There was a clear identity to the team. Rivera/Chud are still, after an offseason and 6 weeks of game footage, talking about trying to establish an identity on offense (sidenote, but the same goes for the defense, to an extent. When Rivera was hired he said he would employ an aggressive, attacking style defense, and yet he starts Nakamura and has him line up 20 yards of the line of scrimmage. But I think the defensive side of the ball is more due to personnel and lack of talent than anything. We have enough offensive talent that we should be one of the higher scoring teams in the league).

Loved Kalil and he's everything you could hope for, plus you fleeced the Brownies for an injury prone player you didn't even want. Harvin, AP, and Kalil are a good foundation. Not so much Ponder but maybe? QBs should take a big step in year two, and not many have the surrounding offensive talent that he does.

Agreed.
Kalil will always be an unsung hero (like most great OLinemen are. If you aren't hearing their numbers called, they are normally doing their job :D) and I was thrilled at using such a high pick for him. He'll be an anchor for a long time, assuming he can stay healthy.

Three other big draft picks the Vikes picked up this year are playing at a high level:
-Josh Robinson (he'll be a shutdown corner in about two years. Fast, strong, can jump, tackles well).
-Blair Walsh ("You dumbasses got rid of Longwell?!?!"- I heard that a few times in the offseason. The Blair Walsh Project is working out well. The guy has a boot!)
-Harrison Smith (Potential DRotY. Highlights don't do enough. Watch this kid for an entire game. His motor never slows down. Hits like a truck, tracks the ball well, finishes tackles. He wasn't the captain of Notre Dame's D because he was "serviceable". Vikes haven't had a real safety since Darren Sharper's old ass was out there. :D)

mr2xxx

Banned

edit: scratch that, I thought Olsen had been hurt the past couple games. He's actually good at that.

I was about to say we don't really have a better receiving core than the Panthers . Moss is probably our best guy but they have Smith who at the very least is equal to Moss. Garcon has played one healthy half of football this year so he doesn't even count.

effzee

Well they did just take the right first step by firing the GM. The insane contracts he gave out the past 2-3 seasons were well...insane.

Slo

Yeah, you have to be pumped.

Thank God AP is on his last legs.

He's got 2ish more year in him. Right? RIGHT? :(

I wonder if he may end up being the last drafted 10k yard back that the NFL sees for a loooong time. Maybe MJD or Arian Foster?

LevelNth

Banned
Compare AP's career to Emmitt Smith then (who didn't have an ACL injury to my knowledge).

There's still a sharp drop off after the first five or six years. I think long term with that ACL injury, there's no way that AP will even be able to match LT's rushing attempts.
Disagree again. Smith was pretty much a consistent low 4.x YPA for around 10 years, and only dropped below for his last few years.

IMO, Peterson is going to have the same level of production over his career, because I do not believe the injury has affected him as it would a normal, non-freak human. His YPA is the best it's been since his 2nd year, and he's noticeably getting stronger every week.

Not reaching LT's rushing attempts though I don't necessarily disagree with, though not for lack of ability. LT averaged 320 attempts a year during his time at SD. AP around 295 not including last season's lower attempts.

He's only on pace for 310 so far this year, which I doubt he'll get to. Probably below 300. Still, I'm willing to bet he eclipses LT's mark. Emmitt's however, is likely just not possible. He simply doesn't average anywhere close to enough carries a season.

eznark

Banned

Playing against better defenses is pretty much it. They had wins against crappy teams last year and I expect them to do the same in a month when they get Tampa and Oakland at home and go to KC and San Diego. They'll end up with 4-5 wins again and Cam will have pretty similar numbers.

They just aren't good.

Agreed.
Kalil will always be an unsung hero (like most great OLinemen are. If you aren't hearing their numbers called, they are normally doing their job :D) and I was thrilled at using such a high pick for him. He'll be an anchor for a long time, assuming he can stay healthy.

Three other big draft picks the Vikes picked up this year are playing at a high level:
-Josh Robinson (he'll be a shutdown corner in about two years. Fast, strong, can jump, tackles well).
-Blair Walsh ("You dumbasses got rid of Longwell?!?!"- I heard that a few times in the offseason. The Blair Walsh Project is working out well. The guy has a boot!)
-Harrison Smith (Potential DRotY. Highlights don't do enough. Watch this kid for an entire game. His motor never slows down. Hits like a truck, tracks the ball well, finishes tackles. He wasn't the captain of Notre Dame's D because he was "serviceable". Vikes haven't had a real safety since Darren Sharper's old ass was out there. :D)

Its between him and maybe two others. I'll be disappointed if he isnt picked.

I wonder if he may end up being the last drafted 10k yard back that the NFL sees for a loooong time. Maybe MJD or Arian Foster?

Wait, you think MJD won't hit 10k in his career? He's already over 7k and that's with splitting time with splitting time with Taylor in the beginning.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wait did apple really announce a ipad4 and a $329 ipad mini with ipad 2 stats? What lolol

Are you questioning Apple?

Also don't really understand why a thinner iMac even matters when the overall bulk of the product comes from the stand and not the screen itself. Thinner display on something that already had a thin display and you are just plopping up on your desk anyway doesn't seem like a huge selling point.

4 more years of AP at the least.

The man is not a human being. He is made of wires and circuits.

adrian1.jpg

Bowser

They announced an iPad 4 already?

Yep:

Apple has just announced a revised version of its 9.7-inch iPad tablet. The 4th-generation iPad retains the high-resolution Retina Display and 5-megapixel iSight camera that debuted back in March, but it has swapped out the 30-pin dock connector for Apple's new Lightning port that appeared on the iPhone 5 last month. It also features a new A6X processor with twice the graphics performance of the outgoing A5X. Despite the upgraded performance, the 4th-generation iPad is still rated for up to 10 hours of battery life.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3540226/apple-refreshes-9-7-inch-ipad-lightning-a6x

LevelNth

Banned

Moon is also spot on about Cam's demeanor:
Every single team in the NFL had the book on RG3 before the season, and it was tape of the Panthers. The reason RG3 is succeeding so well still despite this, is that

a)AlMo is a legit talent with insane lower body drive and KShan knows how to use him right (as opposed to the Panthers rush attack)

and b) RG3 is hands down a better QB than Cam. He reads defenses better, his accuracy is much better and his reads at the line are far superior.

Cam's problem is not that he all of a sudden sucks. Cam's problem is his shit attitude and the fact that he fell in love with himself and his talent. Once he corrects that garbage, he'll be back.

jmdajr

Wait did apple really announce a ipad4 and a $329 ipad mini with ipad 2 specs ? What lolol

This happened today? Didn't know.

Meh, my droid phone is good enough. Don't need a tablet to browse GAF, or check my Fantasy Football.

edit: wait Ipad4? Guess I don't keep up.

ari

Banned
I like how the apple fanboys like to point out 2 million or so apps on the App Store but in reality 2/3 of the store is shit.

That company died with Steve jobs. Just don't feel the same way I did about their products with all the other products in the tech field. Also, this ipad 4 stunt is a fucking joke. 5-6 months update is the new yearly update. Lol

Top Bottom