• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

Smokey

I ask because I consider schaub to be slightly above average at the quarterback position. So if Cutler is worse than schaub then we can agree that he is a middle of the road qb?

Ok so who's better flaclol, or cutler

beast786

I ask because I consider schaub to be slightly above average at the quarterback position. So if Cutler is worse than schaub then we can agree that he is a middle of the road qb?

Another problem when Cutler is to see who is OC is right now. That aint gonna help him either.

eznark

Banned
I'd take Shaub. I think they're both good QBs but Schaub seems more likely to take a team the distance.

Not a fan of the gunslinger style QB? He's just trying to follow in the footsteps of Favre.

I haven't looked but I am guessing the rest of their numbers are fairly similar. Cutler has a way better arm but they've had enough actual NFL snaps that we don't have to look at physicals, we can look at results.

Holding on the ball and taking a sack is different than having the oline be blown up on nearly every play where either a sack is taken or a throw is rushed!

Why do you put an exclamation mark at the end of every completely pedestrian statement?

ari

Banned
Times have changed. NFL has changed. You need a QB to win SB now. Chicago is going to need Cutler to step up in big game. And that is not going to happen. even in blow out wins this year, he struggle big time till the defense turn the game around and then he shows up when with lead and no pressure.
You don't even know if cutler will or will not be able to lead our team from behind. You have no proof whats so ever for this claim. especially for this year. We won't have compentant opponents until like three weeks from now and even then, who's to say that he can't convert big time third downs or score when needed? Such a baseless claim.

Aren't you a lions fan? You really want to give the bears quarterback coaching?

Vyroxis

Banned
Yeah, you have to be pumped.

Thank God AP is on his last legs.

I think all Vikings fans are pumped, we are doing far better than expected. Sadly, the second half of our schedule is going to be ugly at best. I still stand by my prediction of 8-8, but it will be a hard fought battle.

LevelNth

Banned
Yeah, you have to be pumped.

Thank God AP is on his last legs.
I will bet cold hard cash AP has 3-5 more seasons at this level of dominance. He is without question IMO the best RB in the league right now (pretty much every stat metric backs that up, or you could just watch him run).

He an absolute beast freak of nature.

Mrbob

The Bears offense is currently on the Bionic and Eznark plan. They are sucking their way to a Super Bowl title. In a couple weeks the offense is going to transform into one of the most dominant in the league, and with one of the best defenses, the team will be tough to beat!

eznark

Banned
I will bet cold hard cash AP has 3-5 more seasons at this level of dominance. He is without question IMO the best RB in the league right now (pretty much every stat metric backs that up, or you could just watch him run).

He an absolute beast freak of nature.

He's 27 with a catastrophic knee injury. I'm going to arbitrarily add a year to his age because of that. He'll be 28 at the start of next year (29 in Dr. Eznark years). 2013 will be his last dominant year.

But yeah, obviously he is the best running back in the league. Who is questioning that? Who is even close at this point?

RBH

grantland_g_gabbert01jr_576.jpg

The Jaguars expect to find out today whether quarterback Blaine Gabbert will be available for Sunday’s game at Green Bay, but the early indications are that the right-handed Gabbert has suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

That was the diagnosis from the team’s medical staff, according to ESPN’s Ed Werder, and today Gabbert will get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ert-has-torn-labrum-in-non-throwing-shoulder/

LevelNth

Banned
He's 27 with a catastrophic knee injury. I'm going to arbitrarily add a year to his age because of that. He'll be 28 at the start of next year (29 in Dr. Eznark years). 2013 will be his last dominant year.

But yeah, obviously he is the best running back in the league. Who is questioning that? Who is even close at this point?
Exactly my point. He's 27 years old 10 months removed from a catastrophic knee injury... dominating to an almost laughable degree.

You can't apply the regular rules to him, you simply cannot. His 27 is leaps and bounds above most other RB's 24.

Well for the sake of argument, I suppose Arian Foster is on the same level.

The simple fact that Peterson has been about consistent for 5 years though puts him above everyone else though.

eznark

Banned
Exactly my point. He's 27 years old 10 months removed from a catastrophic knee injury... dominating to an almost laughable degree.

You can't apply the regular rules to him, you simply cannot. His 27 is leaps and bounds above most other RB's 24.

We say that about every dominant running back, and every running back dies at 30.

He is going to end up with 300 attempts again this year. Not good.

Well for the sake of argument, I suppose Arian Foster is on the same level.

The simple fact that Peterson has been about consistent for 5 years though puts him above everyone else though.

Foster has not looked terribly dominant this year. He seems to be going down on first contact AND the Packers bottled him up so he must suck.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Times have changed. NFL has changed. You need a QB to win SB now. Chicago is going to need Cutler to step up in big game. And that is not going to happen. even in blow out wins this year, he struggle big time till the defense turn the game around and then he shows up when with lead and no pressure.

his passer rating in prime-time games is 71.96.

Eh, just because we haven't seen a game manager win a Super Bowl in a decade doesn't mean it won't ever happen again.

I mean, by all means, I hope they keep trying to rely on Cutler to win big and ignoring the Matt Forte/Michael Bush combo.

effzee

All the talk from the fans to bench Vick is definitely having an effect. Reid gets nothing but questions about that now at his press conferences and it is all they are talking about on the radio. Vick had over 370 total yards against the Lions and should have had 2 more TD's and yet it really feels like Foles will be the starter soon. It is totally insane.

I agree except I don't see any scenario other than injury that would lead him to bench Vick.

If we are to believe Reid's job is on the line (and I hope its true) then he knows he has to win now and with Vick. Vick has played bad in terms of turnovers but he isn't horrible and certainly not the sole reason they are losing.

Pat Shurmur is an idiot is the answer to that.

Never-ending slants is our go to play.

Now for Eagles fans, from everything you guys have been saying what's the real deal with Banner? From what I'm understanding from you guys is he's great for establishing a proper Front Office and setting up the salary but he shouldn't stay around too long?

Yankeehater will disagree with me but I don't think Banner is that amazing.

He was great at managing the cap but I don't trust him with any football decisions. To what degree and length his power reached in Philly I can't be sure because Reid did have final say but there were always talk that he and Reid would clash sometimes. Or that players would leave and have terrible things to say about Banner and how he treated them.

If you have a clear separation of power and Banner isn't making any football moves but rather the figurehead who works the #s than I don't think he will be a problem.

The Eagles drafts the past 5-6 seasons have been atrocious, especially on the D side. Whether it was Heckert, Roseman, Reid, or Banner I don't know for sure.

Mrbob

You don't even know if cutler will or will not be able to lead our team from behind. You have no proof whats so ever for this claim. especially for this year. We won't have compentant opponents until like three weeks from now and even then, who's to say that he can't convert big time third downs or score when needed? Such a baseless claim.

Aren't you a lions fan? You really want to give the bears quarterback coaching?

Don't worry about Beast, his world is falling apart right now. He actually thought Fatford was in the same QB elite conversation as Rodgers and Flacco.

ari

Banned
I mean, by all means, I hope they keep trying to rely on Cutler to win big and ignoring the Matt Forte/Michael Bush combo.
Exactly what I don't get about mike tice. Matt forte and micheal bush is easily the best one two punch compliment for any QB. Having cutler out throw the running game is just plain silly, especially when bush/forte throttled that defense last night.

Mrbob

The play calling disgusted me last night when the Bears had first and goal from the 3 when they were up 10 to 0. Three straight passes, wtf? Did the spirit of McCarthy seep into Meathead for a couple play calls? The team has Forte and one of the best short yardage backs in the league with Bush, and they pass 3 times? Should have pounded the ball 3 times into the end zone and the game is over.

eznark

Banned
The play calling disgusted me last night when the Bears had first and goal from the 3 when they were up 10 to 0. Three straight passes, wtf? Did the spirit of McCarthy seep into Meathead for a couple play calls? The team has Forte and one of the best short yardage backs in the league with Bush, and they pass 3 times? Should have pounded the ball 3 times into the end zone and the game is over.

Tice isn't intelligent enough to adjust his gameplan mid-game. The Lions secondary is hot garbage so they planned all week to throw. Guy is an offensive line coach, what do you want from him?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
And MJD out this weekend.

At least now the Packers will have a chance to stop the inevitable comeback in the 4th quarter!

Rashad Jennings will get 150 yards rushing and Chad Henne will throw for 300 yards.

Final score: 28-27 Packers. I'm feeling optimistic.

LukeSmith

Dammit. My two year old has a cavity and will be having it drilled tommorrow. Sounds like some real shitty process involving gas, and I'm nervous. I know that I always brush her teeth when I am with her....

Anyone have a kid get a cavity that young?

Some tooth types/enamel makeups are predisposed to getting cavities -- on the converse, you occasionally have folks who never get cavities. Your daughter may just be the former. I had sealants put on my molars once my adult teeth came in 1000s of years ago. Super helpful

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Dammit. My two year old has a cavity and will be having it drilled tommorrow. Sounds like some real shitty process involving gas, and I'm nervous. I know that I always brush her teeth when I am with her....

Anyone have a kid get a cavity that young?

I don't have kids but someone needs to explain to me why baby teeth get so much dental attention.

LevelNth

Banned
We say that about every dominant running back, and every running back dies at 30.

He is going to end up with 300 attempts again this year. Not good.

Foster has not looked terribly dominant this year. He seems to be going down on first contact AND the Packers bottled him up so he must suck.
I wholeheartedly disagree with the first statement. Who in the last 15 years is comparable to AP? My point is that the regular, commonplace argument against running back production past 30 (which still gives him 3 more years) cannot be made against AP.

His consistent level of play and his play this year after the ACL/MCL whammy is my basis for saying that. Guy puts up 153 on a Top 10 D 10 months after surgery AND with a tweaked ankle, but he'll just wind down like every other back usually does?

Doesn't compute to me.

Agree about Foster though. Couple that with the insane OL he has, and it's been a weird performance this year so far.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the first statement. Who in the last 15 years is comparable to AP? My point is that the regular, commonplace argument against running back production past 30 (which still gives him 3 more years) cannot be made against AP.

His consistent level of play and his play this year after the ACL/MCL whammy is my basis for saying that. Guy puts up 153 on a Top 10 D 10 months after surgery AND with a tweaked ankle, but he'll just wind down like every other back usually does?

Doesn't compute to me.

Agree about Foster though. Couple that with the insane OL he has, and it's been a weird performance this year so far.

Foster doesn't hold AP's jockstrap, especially now that he stopped eating meat.

eznark

Banned

Doesn't compute to me.

Yup!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Doesn't compute to me.

Compare AP's career to Emmitt Smith then (who didn't have an ACL injury to my knowledge).

There's still a sharp drop off after the first five or six years. I think long term with that ACL injury, there's no way that AP will even be able to match LT's rushing attempts.

Henne is Alex Smith without the surrounding talent.
Man... when you put it like that...

I might actually miss him a little if it wasn't for Tannehill, if only because it's hard enough for the Dolphins to find a QB who is even remotely decent.

Foster isn't the player to put up there with AP. It's Ray Rice. The only thing holding him back is Cam Cameron.
I think you're right about this. Did I ever mention that I hate Cam Cameron? Not as much as Nick Saban, though.

Dre3001

Not that the Jags were winning anyways but with Gabbert out this guarantees Jags will receive the #1 pick in April.

Geno Smith Future!

cdyhybrid

Predictions for this weekend:

1) Brandon Browner literally kills Megatron on the field.
2) Refs don't throw a flag because Paul Allen is paying them off.
3) squicken has an aneurysm and becomes a Browns fan.

So... I just ordered a jaguars hat from amazon and it has both the jaguars and the ravens symbol on the hat... Is amazon trying to tell me something?

It was this hat but instead of the larger jaguars symbol in white, it has the ravens symbol... The symbol in the center is still the jaguars.

Top Bottom