• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

I know I'm late but I agree that Tice is an idiot at play calling. However, I think they want to run more but the o-line just can't create holes to run through. If the Bears had the 49ers o-line I truly believe they would be the best team in the NFL. Too bad they have one of the worst so they will only remain a top 5 team.

lulz

Levyne

Banned
just "remain a top 5 team" comes off funny considering the bears haven't played anyone and struggled with one of the worst defenses in the league last night

I am just glad the defense is playing well. Someone scoffed a bit at ESPN saying nice things about Major Wright, but he and Conte, as well as Jennings and Tillman, have all been playing well. On every single one of the seemingly 50 2nd half drives that the Lions got yesterday, I was waiting for the big mistake, the poor approach angle, the broken coverage. It never happened, and the secondary has been playing well all year. I hope it keeps up one we get into playing better receiving corps and especially teams with pass catching TEs.

But yeah...the offense will need to step it up.

NawidA

Banned
Top 5 Right Now (in no order):
Giants
49ers
Texans
Falcons
Packers

On the bubble: Bears (need to beat a good team), Vikings (need to beat either the Bears or Packers)

Bears were my preseason pick for a championship, so I think they got this.

They are a top 5 team right now. Their defense is incredible. Looking forward to seeing you guys play them

oh i agree, they have to be. i said it sounds funny because "we will have to remain a top 5 team" as in "well we won't have any downfalls this year! we are guaranteed to finish as a top 5 team" even though it may not have been meant to come out this way

MechDX

just "remain a top 5 team" comes off funny considering the bears haven't played anyone and struggled with one of the worst defenses in the league last night

No shit. Opponents record for top 5 teams in ESPN's power rankings:

49ers 26-22
Texans 22-24
Bears 16-22
Falcons 13-24
Giants 18-27

And the Texans got shit for weeks for playing "weak teams".

I had no idea there was a Nook HD. Seems, based on specs at least, to be the best 7" tablet. As long as it can be rooted of course

edit: Charles Woodson played a really, really, deep safety.
Yeah, he was freaking offscreen half the game, and I was there!

Not impressed by our safeties much. To contrast, the young CBs are good (Hayward, House)... but Woodson still isn't comfortable back there (and now hurt), Burnett takes some horrible angles, and our rookie safety rotation at the FS spot is a bit of a turdburger

minx

49ers lost to the Vikings... got destroyed by the Giants
Giants lost to the Cowboys and the Eagles
Texans haven't played anyone and got destroyed by the Packers
Falcons almost lost to the Raiders and Panthers
Ravens barely beat the Chiefs and got destroyed by the Texans
Packers lost to the Colts and Seahawks

Those are the other considerations for top 5. I think it's hard to argue Bears aren't top 5. Sure they haven't played that great of competition but they have destroyed teams they should have beat, and that's what good teams do. I agree their offense is suspect and in no way am I confident they will win a playoff game. Their first true test doesn't come till week 9 against the Texans and week 10 against the 49ers. We should all be able to know how good they truly are after that.

Edit: I didn't mean to come off like that. Just stating that right now they will remain top 5 until proven otherwise, which I don't think will happen till week 9 or 10. With the Bears remaining schedule the playoffs should be in the future as long as Cutler can make it through the year behind that o-line. Just hope we don't play the Packers in the Playoffs again.

49ers lost to the Vikings... got destroyed by the Giants
Giants lost to the Cowboys and the Eagles
Texans haven't played anyone and got destroyed by the Packers
Falcons almost lost to the Raiders and Panthers
Ravens barely beat the Chiefs and got destroyed by the Texans
Packers lost to the Colts and Seahawks

Those are the other considerations for top 5. I think it's hard to argue Bears aren't top 5. Sure they haven't played that great of competition but they have destroyed teams they should have beat, and that's what good teams do. I agree their offense is suspect and in no way am I confident they will win a playoff game. Their first true test doesn't come till week 9 against the Texans and week 10 against the 49ers. We should all be able to know how good they truly are after that.

bears have played 1 good team and got blown out by that team

minx

bears have played 1 good team and got blown out by that team

While the Bears played really bad I wouldn't call 23-10 a blowout when one TD was a fake FG and the Bears were one Marshall dropped TD pass from being right in it. Not saying the offense wasn't putrid, because it was, but not a blowout at all in my mind.

mr2xxx

Banned
For some reason teams give the Rams space in first halves. I know I will get trolled, but I haven't given up on Bradford being good. Never will he be elite, but he can be in the next tier. He makes the right reads. Obviously he makes mistakes, but there's not wide open WRs running around that he misses for easy TDs.

His flaws are accuracy when pressured, and pocket movement. Pocket movement has improved this year, and I think his pocket presence will improve as his WRs start winning vs press. I've posted stills or GIFs of ever key Rams play this year, and all of them involve WRs getting stuffed at the line.

Flame on bros

Can't hate on you man, I was hoping Beck or Grossman would step up last year, McNabb the year before that, Jason Campbell for 5 years, so on and so on for the last 15 years. You gotta do what you gotta do to make through the season as a fan and sometimes it involves hoping for miracles.

squicken

Can't hate on you man, I was hoping Beck or Grossman would step up last year, McNabb the year before that, Jason Campbell for 5 years, so on and so on for the last 15 years. You gotta do what you gotta do to make through the season as a fan and sometimes it involves hoping for miracles.

You know I appreciate this kind of trolling. So many people go just full volume hate but you took note of my feelings and were kind. Well done. The John Beck part is really beautiful

While the Bears played really bad I wouldn't call 23-10 a blowout when one TD was a fake FG and the Bears were one Marshall dropped TD pass from being right in it. Not saying the offense wasn't putrid, because it was, but not a blowout at all in my mind.

that was as close to a blowout as you can get without looking at the actual score. yeah, it was a 23-10 game, but you and everyone else knows the game wasn't close at all. packers were never in danger of losing that game. bears got completely dominated. they could've played 10 more quarters and not put up 2 more TD's in that game

mr2xxx

Banned
You know I appreciate this kind of trolling. So many people go just full volume hate but you took note of my feelings and were kind. Well done. The John Beck part is really beautiful

No problem Sir, I could never hate the team that has brought me so much happiness. Hopefully our draft picks can get you someone that would make you feel the way I do.

Godslay

Banned
If we played just a little better in those 3 losses we could probably be 6-0.

Sure. There are some odd things that go along with this. It's ripped from an Insider article, but here's some additional things that show that things could have gone better for us.

The Broncos are only 3-3, but that mediocre record is not an accurate reflection of this team's performance this year. Their three losses have come against three division leaders (Houston, Atlanta and New England) with a combined record of 16-4

Denver has had the misfortune to play so many good teams so early, but its luck concerning bouncing balls has been even worse. Our research has shown that avoiding and forcing fumbles are definite skills, but actually falling on those balls is mostly a matter of luck. Denver's opponents have fumbled 10 times, but lost only four balls. Even more amazing, the Broncos have fumbled nine times, and their opponents have recovered all of them. All together, the Broncos have recovered only four of 19 total fumbles this season. That kind of bad luck is bound to turn around soon.

A good paragraph on Miller. Playing lights out, but is being outshined by Watt:

The top playmaker, though, has unquestionably been Von Miller. As a rookie in 2011, Miller collected 11.5 sacks, but he was one-dimensional, with only eight defeats (tackles that cause a loss of yardage, turnover or third- or fourth-down stop) against the run. This year, he's even more effective against the pass, with six sacks in six games. Better yet, he has blossomed as an impact run defender. He leads the league with 10 run defeats this year, besting his rookie total with 10 games to go. Only the incomparable J.J. Watt has more total defeats (run and pass) than Miller in 2012. In any other season Miller would be a strong candidate for Defensive Player of the Year, but Watt is virtually a lock to take that hardware home. Could Watt and the Texans defeat Miller's Broncos in a playoff game, though? That's no lock at all.

TheFatOne

But Wilsons better than Bradford.

To be honest I don't know what to expect from the Pats. The coaching has been terrible on both sides of the ball. I hope this is the week the offense starts to get their shit together. On the bright side Visanthe Shiancoe is practicing. Would be a nice addition if he can still play.

Troll

Banned
If we played just a little better in those 3 losses we could probably be 6-0.

Two TDs away from being 5-1. Then in the Pats game if Pey Pey doesn't get sacked and fumble then they don't drive for a TD. That could have been a 14 point swing right there if we would have scored on that drive. Crazy.

To be honest I don't know what to expect from the Pats. The coaching has been terrible on both sides of the ball. I hope this is the week the offense starts to get their shit together. On the bright side Visanthe Shiancoe is practicing. Would be a nice addition if he can still play.

I just want a win.

Troll

Banned
So if Denver was a few inches and milliseconds from being 6-0, was Denver a good win for Atlanta?

Denver is Atlanta's best win of the year. It isn't even close. I'm not sure if you can find anyone even on this forum that thinks Denver is a bad team.

squicken

No problem Sir, I could never hate the team that has brought me so much happiness. Hopefully our draft picks can get you someone that would make you feel the way I do.

It's difficult for me. I like RG3. I have a few long suffering Skins fans as friends. But I need you guys to suck for two years. Need those picks to be good

edit: Denver put up some really garbage time TDs versus HOU and ATL to make those games look better than they were. That said, they are better now than they were then, and w/o Cushing, Houston is worse

Troll

Banned
Not San Diego?

You're funny.

Peyton-Manning-Thumbs-Up-Broncos.gif

Troll

Banned
Did you guys see the segment on First Take where Brandon Marshall and Stephen A got into it about who's a better Christian? Gotta love sports talk shows.

Godslay

Banned
It's difficult for me. I like RG3. I have a few long suffering Skins fans as friends. But I need you guys to suck for two years. Need those picks to be good

edit: Denver put up some really garbage time TDs versus HOU and ATL to make those games look better than they were. That said, they are better now than they were then, and w/o Cushing, Houston is worse

Both the HOU and ATL games came down to the fact that IF the defense makes a stop, Peyton has a shot to win the game. They didn't do it. The NE game never really felt close to me.

You could argue it was garbage time, but that time only really exists in blowouts. If your defense can make a stop and give the QB a shot to win it at the end, then it's not garbage time imo. NE was borderline garbage time. The other two not so much.

Both the HOU and ATL games came down to the fact that IF the defense makes a stop, Peyton has a shot to win the game. They didn't do it. The NE game never really felt close to me.

You could argue it was garbage time, but that time only really exists in blowouts. If your defense can make a stop and give the QB a shot to win it at the end, then it's not garbage time imo. NE was borderline garbage time. The other two not so much.

Your defense did make the stops.
You gave up 4 turnovers and we only got, was it like 10 points off it? 13?

Peyton lost that game by playing like shit in the 1st quarter and throwing 3 INT.

Seda

I am just glad the defense is playing well. Someone scoffed a bit at ESPN saying nice things about Major Wright, but he and Conte, as well as Jennings and Tillman, have all been playing well. On every single one of the seemingly 50 2nd half drives that the Lions got yesterday, I was waiting for the big mistake, the poor approach angle, the broken coverage. It never happened, and the secondary has been playing well all year. I hope it keeps up one we get into playing better receiving corps and especially teams with pass catching TEs.

But yeah...the offense will need to step it up.

Pretty much. The secondary has played pretty well for most of the year.

But that offense.

squicken

Join the Android side.

Wasn't really unimpressed with the UI on the GS3, or even CM10. Reading the Surface review at Anand, I think Microsoft might have the right idea on making a proper UI for touchscreens. Now, ham fisting that on to desktop is dumb. But for mobilbe, I'm far more interested than what it might offer than iOS and Android's homescreen full of little icons

Top Bottom