• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

ari

Banned
So what's the point of a mini anyhow if for a few more twenties you can get the 3? Apple is so damn greedy and I think this isn't gonna make a dent. Watch google step up and shit all over this next week.

Talamius

iPad Mini is launching in no man's land. It seems like people who want an entry level tablet will buy Kindle Fire HDs, and people who want premium tablets will just buy the iPad 4.

However, the iMacs looked amazing. If I were in the market for a new computer I'd definitely consider one.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So what's the point of a mini anyhow if for a few more twenties you can get the 3? Apple is so damn greedy and I think this isn't gonna make a dent. Watch google step up and shit all over this next week.

Apple could bring back the chia pet and it would sell millions. But I agree with you, its a completely baffling device in every possible way.

Bowser

Cam has the maturity of a teenager and is not a team player.
He sees football games not as a way to better the record of the Carolina Panthers, but as an opportunity to glorify himself. He bought into the hype last year and thought he was going to set the NFL on fire. Now he is acting like a brat who is too dumb to stoically accept the slowly unfolding truth. In short he's an idiot and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a very short career. Dude is not leader material.

You're an idiot.

squicken

Love the coaches tape. Hate Lance Kendricks. No one in STL wanted the guy besides Spags and Devaney. As far as I know, the only two players the fans and the media wanted were Cobb and Torrey Smith, but Devaney's philosophy was that WRs were easy to find (strange seeing as that he never found any)

First Rams possession, first third down. Looked like a bad throw on TV, but Rams fans in attendance said it was on Kendricks. As he is sort of a hated person, I didn't really believe them, but it's clear he blew it. For some reason he runs an out instead of fading the route. Throwing an out was never in the cards b/c of the CB underneath. He's rarely targeted for a reason

kenwrong44jh7.gif

edit: fixed judder

ari

Banned
Apple could bring back the chia pet and it would sell millions.
Which is sad, what a pathetic age of technology we live in when a company sell inferior products and sell it for more then the competition and still outsell them 3 to 1, even when the competitions product is light years away. Just sad.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Which is sad, what a pathetic age of technology we live in when a company sell inferior products more then the competition and still sell more.

A popular brand name will be able to sell anything for a while, thats always been true since basically forever.

Before Apple there was the Dallas Cowboys.

Mrbob

Wow, journalist on journalist crime going on 670 The Score right now. Laurence Holmes is burying Rick Reilly at the moment for his Cutler piece on ESPN. The back story to it is intriguing. Reilly is a bitter man. ESPN will never run what LH is saying right now though because it's tarnishing one of their own.

manfestival

Go Bucs! Superb owl here we come. Took a little bonding to finally get over the small hurdles that we keep bumping into but now the pain train will come through starting with the poor vikings

bionic77

Smaller form factor. Apple is reacting to demand for smaller tablets like the Nexus.

Vyroxis

Banned
Go Bucs! Superb owl here we come. Took a little bonding to finally get over the small hurdles that we keep bumping into but now the pain train will come through starting with the poor vikings

Careful now. Our Defense is getting better, and the twin cities has more Taco Bells, Taco Johns, and everything in between than this state has farms. That's just a recipe for Freeman being bloated and getting eaten alive out there.

Starting QB (this alone would make virtually all the successful teams irrelevant)
BOTH starting OT's (before the season even began)
BOTH of your top RB's (one for season and other for most of it)
Starting TE (Ironic we miss Heap's blocking even more than his receiving, one of the reasons our protection was better first three weeks)
Starting FB (huge blow to our OL and especially the run game, obviously)
Starting FS
Starting DE
CB2

1. Kevin Kolb.... lol! Kolb is not good. The last game he started the team put up 3 points. Sorry, this isn't a big loss if a loss at all.
2. Both starting OT's on a horrible line. So lets say on a scale from 1-10, your original starting tackles were rated 5's. Your backups 4's. ok? this was going to be a huge difference? no.
3. Your pass blocking was better the first 3 weeks? lets take a look:

week 1: 3 sacks allowed, 43 yards rushing
week 2: 2 sacks allowed, 102 yards rushing (on 32 carries)
week 3: 3 sacks allowed, 99 yards rushing (on 34 carries)
week 4: 8 sacks allowed, 28 rush yards (on 15 carries)

and now, the 3 losses:

week 5: 9 sacks allowed, 45 rush yards
week 6: 5 sacks allowed, 182 rush yards
week 7: 7 sacks allowed, 126 rush yards

So yeah, looks like your pass blocking took a hit but your run blocking significantly improved somehow without the hall of famer todd heap and it looks like your rush offense was devestated once your fullback got injured.... even though your run numbers have increased for the better!

4. kerry rhodes!? lol! alright...

5. which one of your starting DE's was injured? dockett? he has missed 1 game. and he has 0 sacks this season in 6 games started

6. who is this? Toler? heheahaha. alright man, i'm as big of a homer as any but come on

Bowser

Pretty sure the writing is on the wall for DeAngelo Williams - he couldn't have endeared himself to the coaching staff with his passive-aggressive twitter RT rampage before and after the Cowboys game. He was in for a total of 5 snaps while Stewart was in for 58.

Rivera tried to change things up schematically this past week against the Dallas Cowboys, benching DeAngelo Williams and allowing Jonathan Stewart a shot as the workhorse running back. Normally the Panthers split carries, but on Sunday the plan was to use Stewart as the clear featured back.

Stewart is younger, has a better build (I believe bowling ball backs are better than smaller, scat type backs for a featured runner), and has a ton of experience in both pro and read-option offenses.

I believe DeAngelo doesn't have any more guaranteed money left on his contract after this season. I don't think he's done though. Some time is going to sign him cheap after he's cut and get a back that, for 6 years in the league, doesn't have that much wear and tear on him and can still contribute as a featured back on a playoff team.

In regards to the GM search:

The Panthers are expected to hire an outside consultant to run the search, two league sources said Tuesday.

A number of former NFL coaches and executives have done consulting work with teams previously.

The list includes former New York Giants defensive coordinator Ernie Accorsi, a consultant for the league; former Green Bay general manager Ron Wolf; Andrew Brandt, ESPN’s NFL business analyst who formerly worked in the Packers’ front office; and ex-Kansas City president/general manager Carl Peterson, who advised Miami owner Steve Ross last winter when the Dolphins hired Joe Philbin as head coach.

Any consultant hired by owner Jerry Richardson would come to Charlotte to examine the football operations, attend practices and watch video of a team whose 1-5 start led to Hurney’s dismissal.

Richardson has not spoken publicly about what characteristics or experience level he’s looking for in his next general manager. One industry insider said Tuesday that given Hurney’s business-side background – he managed the Panthers’ salary cap before becoming GM – the Panthers could look for someone with a strong scouting background.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...e-advisors-to-aid-panthers.html#storylink=cpy

cashman

Banned
Sean Lee might be out for the year

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...dallas-cowboys-need-season-ending-toe-surgery

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys fear linebacker Sean Lee needs season-ending surgery on his right big toe, according to sources.
Lee suffered a sprained right big toe in the third quarter of Sunday's win at Carolina and was on crutches on Monday. Coach Jason Garrett did not offer an update regarding Lee's status on Monday as he awaited results of an MRI.

After the game, Lee said he would be OK but he had a limp and had to wear his tennis shoes instead of dress shoes with his suit as he walked to the team bus.
The loss of Lee would be a huge blow to the Cowboys' defense.
Lee, who is one of the Cowboys' two defensive captains, is the team's leading tackler with 77 stops in the first six games, according to the coaches' film. He has two tackles for loss, eight quarterback pressures, one interception, two pass deflections and a forced fumble.
Dan Connor would replace Lee in the starting lineup, and he earned praise from Garrett for his work against the Panthers, which included a third-down stop of Cam Newton and a pass deflection, after taking over for Lee. Second-year linebacker Bruce Carter would become the defensive signal caller. The Cowboys have Orie Lemon and Alex Albright as backup inside linebackers on the 53-man roster but could look to add another inside linebacker.
Lee nearly needed season-ending surgery last year on a dislocated left wrist. He ended up missing only one game and played the rest of the season with a cast. He finished with a team-high 131 tackles and tied for the team lead with four interceptions, two fumble recoveries and eight tackles for loss.
Lee came to the Cowboys in 2010 with some injury questions after missing the 2008 season at Penn State with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He was slowed by the injury when he came to the Cowboys and missed two games in 2010 because of a hamstring injury.

FUCK EVERYTHING

squicken

That was some shit coverage by GB.

For some reason teams give the Rams space in first halves. I know I will get trolled, but I haven't given up on Bradford being good. Never will he be elite, but he can be in the next tier. He makes the right reads. Obviously he makes mistakes, but there's not wide open WRs running around that he misses for easy TDs.

His flaws are accuracy when pressured, and pocket movement. Pocket movement has improved this year, and I think his pocket presence will improve as his WRs start winning vs press. I've posted stills or GIFs of ever key Rams play this year, and all of them involve WRs getting stuffed at the line.

Flame on bros

$329 though? I think it will be hard to compete at that price. $199 is the sweet spot for a 7" tablet. Then again what do I know?

This is what is funny. When Sony said "$599!!!! Only $599 for all the goodness that is the PS3!!!!" people shat all over them. It tooks years to rebound from the PR nightmare.

Apple says "$329!!! Only $329 for a smaller version of something you can get for only $499!!!" people will suck it up and buy gazillions of them... despite there being a very good alternative (Nexus) and a somewhat okay alternative (Kindle Fire) for $199.

Just funny how different the reaction is to very similar pricing schemes.

Bowser

This is what is funny. When Sony said "$599!!!! Only $599 for all the goodness that is the PS3!!!!" people shat all over them. It tooks years to rebound from the PR nightmare.

Apple says "$329!!! Only $329 for a smaller version of something you can get for only $499!!!" people will suck it up and buy gazillions of them... despite there being a very good alternative (Nexus) and a somewhat okay alternative (Kindle Fire) for $199.

The problem was the PS3 didn't have the killer app or software at the onset to justify the $599 price. But Apple offers the largest and most diverse app universe out there currently. I've seen many people say they love their Nexus 7's but what's lacking is what matters most - the apps.

The problem was the PS3 didn't have the killer app or software at the onset to justify the $599 price. But Apple offers the largest and most diverse app universe out there currently. I've seen many people say they love their Nexus 7's but what's lacking is what matters most - the apps.

True... but that's a helluva markup for the apps, especially when developers are beginning to provide both iOS and Android version of their apps. Developers/publishers know that to maximize revenue they'll need to address both platforms, now that there are more Android tablets out there.

Be interesting to see how long Apple can continue to charge so much more. At some point this strategy will crash on them. Apple-GAF would likely implode if the iPad mini bombas.

Godslay

Banned
The Apple logo cost $130.

Seems to be that way.

I really wonder how well it will sell. I agree (surprisingly with Ari) that it will be in a no man's land. Then again I've never been very good at discerning what consumers want, so it will probably sell like crazy.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
That was some shit coverage by GB.

Indeed. wtf is the safety doing? And the receiver on the other side is probably still running if he gets the ball.

Why I eliminated the MS tablet outright. If it's still around in a year AND has support, then I'll consider it.

Hunter S.

$329 though? I think it will be hard to compete at that price. $199 is the sweet spot for a 7" tablet. Then again what do I know?

Love my nexus 7 using it now. Currently playing ff 7 using Roms which apple's shit closed operating system cannot do.

squicken

Indeed. wtf is the safety doing? And the receiver on the other side is probably still running if he gets the ball.

STL hit Kendricks on a 25 yard seam rout the week before. Kendricks sells that a bit before breaking to the sideline. They went after the safety later and had a TD, but the WR was tripped/fell down

Why I eliminated the MS tablet outright. If it's still around in a year AND has support, then I'll consider it.

If the Surface is going to run any software that runs on Win 7 then it's got a real good shot of being "the next big thing." I agree with ez that a tablet that can run Excel, Powerpoint, Word (the real ones, not pseudo ones) has a great shot of catching on with businesses. I can see execs carting those around, storing their presentations/spreadsheets, etc in the cloud. Yes, the Surface could do quite well.

Wouldn't hurt if you can run Steam on the thing either.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If the Surface is going to run any software that runs on Win 7 then it's got a real good shot of being "the next big thing." I agree with ez that a tablet that can run Excel, Powerpoint, Word (the real ones, not pseudo ones) has a great shot of catching on with businesses. I can see execs carting those around, storing their presentations/spreadsheets, etc in the cloud. Yes, the Surface could do quite well.

I already own a laptop. So, sure, maybe when that needs replacing I'll look at one of those again.

Godslay

Banned
Love my nexus 7 using it now. Currently playing ff 7 using Roms which apple's shit closed operating system cannot do.

I got in on the $99 HP Touchpad fire sale. I put Android on it, and it's a great device for the price. Build quality sucks, but plenty of horsepower.

I agree. If the Surface Pro can run Visual Studio I will buy one.

Smokey

whats the point of apple

Tabris

True... but that's a helluva markup for the apps, especially when developers are beginning to provide both iOS and Android version of their apps. Developers/publishers know that to maximize revenue they'll need to address both platforms, now that there are more Android tablets out there.

Be interesting to see how long Apple can continue to charge so much more. At some point this strategy will crash on them. Apple-GAF would likely implode if the iPad mini bombas.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/the-ipad-mini-vs-the-competition-specs/

It's not the same as Android phones vs iPhone where the iPhone is beat out on some hardware features and software features. I mean just the camera justifies the cost between Nexus and iPad Mini.

minx

I know I'm late but I agree that Tice is an idiot at play calling. However, I think they want to run more but the o-line just can't create holes to run through. If the Bears had the 49ers o-line I truly believe they would be the best team in the NFL. Too bad they have one of the worst so they will only remain a top 5 team.

squicken

Top Bottom