• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
And let the Peyton Manning MVP talk commence. Not that it hasn't already, but you can't deny his candidacy now. He has been playing lights out since the Texans game and has the Broncos in 1st place in the AFC West. The rest of their schedule is pretty soft outside of Baltimore, and even they don't seem to pose the same threat they once did just two weeks ago. With at least 11 wins and great stats I think he's on his way to a 5th MVP. And yes I realize Matt Ryan is having great year himself but Peyton has the whole story with him coming back and starting over on a new team. And his name alone has a ton of merit. So I wouldn't count on Ryan being a lock even if his team has a better record and won the head to head. It's going to be a close race this year and it's good to have Peyton back in the mix.

I think Manning is always in that conversation along with Rodgers.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think Brady,Ryan, and both mannings are the clear front runners so far. Don't see Rodgers as MVP material so far this season.

Don't see why Rodgers isn't statistically in that discussion. He's basically carrying the Packers at this point. Green Bay is probably a 4-12 or worse team without him.

The honey moon is over for you and alexis?

what honey moon? he is a good game manager and most of his success is because of harbaugh. i said that before, i said that when he was the #1 rated QB in the league, and i'll say that if we win the superbowl. he has poor pocket presence, doesn't throw receivers open and won't throw the ball to someone unless they are wide open (which rarely happens in the NFL unless the scheme tricks the D).

i dont really care who our QB is. as long as we are winning games with alex then i dont have too much of a problem. yeah we'd be more dangerous with peypey or any number of other qb's (including kap) but we'll just see if alex has what it takes when we need him. unfortunate that we don't get to play defenses like the saints in every playoff game :(

Godslay

Banned
I think Brady,Ryan, and both mannings are the clear front runners so far. Don't see Rodgers as MVP material so far this season.

:jnc Rodgers is good...

ib2HMrgzmPHN0k.png

Denver is 4-3, and 2-1 in the div. Really, I can't see them not having the advantage in the division. Bar a possible loss to the Raiders at home, I really don't see them losing another game in the AFC West. Bengals, Ravens and Browns are the only teams I'd be worried about if I were them.

not that i disagree that manning has been awesome but they are 4-3 and in first place in the 2nd worst division in football.

p.s.

yes i wish manning was a niner :(

That's why I pointed to having at least 11 wins and good stats at the end of the season to give him a good shot at it. They're 4-3 now, but they could easily be 11-5 or even 13-3 to end the season. Look at their schedule, I think they'll be the favorites in all of their remaining games. And Manning has a history of leading his team to long win streaks, he did it almost every year with the Colts, even in that one season when they started 3-4 and ended the season 12-4.

A good record and good stats will put him in the discussion. But you can't deny that the Peyton Manning factor will also play a part of it. Voters may not be able to turn away from this feel good story. But again, he has to perform as well and I think he will continue playing at this level the rest of the season. As far as stats are concerned, once it gets updated. I think Peyton is 1-3 in every major category. Not bad for a old man coming off neck surgery and playing on a new team.

Who knew alex smith was a top 10 QB?

he was #1 in the league 2 weeks ago :(

then he hurt his finger on his last throw against the bills.... yeah, thats it, he hurt his finger and that explains his awful performance against the giants and mediocre performance against the seachickens!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Who knew alex smith was a top 10 QB?

Sorted by passer rating. Depends on how you sort it. Regardless Rodgers is still at the very top in just about every category.

Yeah you have to dig deeper and you can see yards/game, touchdown to INT ratio, touchdowns, etc. etc.

Rodgers is having a monster season but so are others. I don't see a clear cut winner at this point.

Sorted by passer rating. Depends on how you sort it. Regardless Rodgers is still at the very top in just about every category.

Once it gets updated, I think Peyton is now the new #1 in passer rating. Again, he's basically 1-3 in every major category and still avoids getting sacked often. So it should be a close race this year for MVP.

Godslay

Banned
26 sacks on Rodgers already? Got damn

The most amazing stat of it all is Eli only having 5 sacks going into game 8 of the season.

Once it gets updated, I think Peyton is now the new #1 in passer rating. Again, he's basically 1-3 in every major category and is still avoid getting sacked often. So it should be a close race this year for MVP.

Yeah, he's definitely playing at that level. Hopefully he maintains it.

squicken

Didn't expect to see the Fatman top ten...

his numbers are weird. low completion percentage but most of his yards come on long passes. low YAC for his WRs. high average depth of target. very high rate of passes off PA

offense based on solid running game and shot plays off PA

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'd have to root for superior Bionic Manning in the Super Bowl. That and the Giants have been in my good graces until that hypothetical point because they won righteous victories over the evil Patriots.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Chargers lost to the Browns.

By rule they are immediately eliminated from the playoffs.

Said it earlier today, but the Browns are better than their record indicates. You guys have a shitton of picks next year, and if used properly with a decent FA acquisition of two and Browns could become a young playoff team by next year.

Chargers problem is they have no receivers since Vincent Jackson left.

An all Manning bowl would suck.

Third Superbowl for both Mannings.
First time ever two brothers dueled against each other in a Superbowl.
First time a QB left one team and took his new team to a Superbowl in the first year.
Superbowl is being held in New Orleans.
Archie Manning played for New Orleans.
Peyton and Eli were born in New Orleans.

It is destiny.

cajunator

Banned
Is there anything that could be done to even slightly improve Saints defense?
Not looking for smart ass answers but actual analysis.
Roman harper is definitely part of the problem.

Third Superbowl for both Mannings.
First time ever two brothers dueled against each other in a Superbowl.
First time a QB left one team and took his new team to a Superbowl in the first year.
Superbowl is being held in New Orleans.
Archie Manning played for New Orleans.
Peyton and Eli were born in New Orleans.

It is destiny.

That's actually kind of scary when you point out all those facts.

squicken

Is there anything that could be done to even slightly improve Saints defense?
Not looking for smart ass answers but actual analysis.
Roman harper is definitely part of the problem.

Sorry cajun but you are what you are. It's a talent problem. You get no pass rush, your LBs are slow, and your DBs can't cover long enough to wait for blitzes to get home.

sucks to suck. 2/3 of that defense will be unemployed next year

Top Bottom