• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

TheFatOne

Made these two to illustrate Pats defense issues. First is from SEA game two weeks ago, second is Rams TD on first drive

http://www.abload.de/img/wuss-sidkvcda.gif

http://www.abload.de/img/br-givp9d7j.gif

I really have no idea what they were doing there. The RT was Chris Williams, street FA signed Monday and totally foreign to offense. Center calls the protections but no idea why either he, Sam, or Schotty didn't think to put someone there to help. What really bugs me is Quick's effort. QB hit as he threw, and not only does he make no effort to break up pass, he seems to completely not give a fuck about it or tackling DB

Yea it's the rookie safety. The double moves are what get him.Right now I think it's just experience that he lacks. Wilson has been alright, but he is a rookie and this stuff happens to rookie safeties. Pats just lack a solid vet safety. Hopefully with McCourty playing safety it helps him out because Chung/Gregory are fucking awful.

Yea it's the rookie safety. The double moves are what get him.Right now I think it's just experience that he lacks. Wilson has been alright, but he is a rookie and this stuff happens to rookie safeties. Pats just lack a solid vet safety. Hopefully with McCourty playing safety it helps him out because Chung/Gregory are fucking awful.

One guy I'm hopeful for is Dennard.He's been making more good than bad plays for being a rookie.

Great win for the Steelers yesterday, though it was tempered because man, the Washington Redskins defense really sucks.

Mike Adams being called a bust was premature. He's locked down that right side. Dude needs to gain some weight and get some more reps in, but I must say I'm still excited for this guy. He could very well be our LT of the future soon.

Colon is going to the Pro-Bowl. Yes I said it. He was atrocious the first few weeks but now he's come into his own and he is straight mauling guys. Dwyer had barn door size holes to run through behind Colon and shy of a pressure (that was mostly on Starks) Ben was kept clean inside all afternoon. Can't wait to have Colon, Pouncey, and Decastro together. Could we actually be close to having *gasp* a GOOD o-line?

Young Money was good again, although the hierarchy is changed - it's Brown at the top, followed by clutch Sanders and then Wallace. Maybe it's just me, but Wallace seems to have slowed down immensely, and without that speed he is a run of the mill possession receiver. Miller is Miller - i've argued that he's the best all around TE in the game and now we have an OC that can show people that. Took long enough.

Defense was great. Scooter was bitching that they weren't so hot but that was a product of the option offense. This was similar to the Tebow game against the Broncos last year, except that Lebeau sold out to stop Tebow because he didn't respect his throwing arm and that cost him. Griffin isn't the same, which makes his option way more dangerous. So many times the Linebackers had to freeze in their positions and diagnose who actually had the ball. That left some receivers open but the more important threat was Griffin.

As for the players themselves, Harrison looks to be winding into game shape, which is good because apparently Woodley has another hammy injury.

Keenan Lewis had his second great game in a row. Too early to expect a trend, but i'm really liking what i'm seeing from Booger (his nose is always running) recently. Nice to see another DB besides Troy, Ike, or Clark step up.

Speaking of Clark, harson is right, dude needs to learn how to tackle. He keeps taking himself out of games with those torpedo shots. He says he'll go for next week, which is good, because I don't like the idea of Eli against Will Allen and Ryan Mundy.

Striker

So, Prince Amukamara was warned by an official for being too aggressive. Huh, I wonder if they also tell the Dallas CB's that?

Amukamara had been warned earlier by an official that his coverage was teetering on the edge.

“I was warned, but I’m an aggressive corner, I like to put my hands on them,’’ Amukamara said.

He was sure that on the play that produced his puppy dog face, he did not interfere with Dallas receiver Kevin Ogletree.

“I couldn’t believe it,’’ Amukamara said. “He was the one grabbing me. “The ball was overthrown and we were both touching each other. Usually in that situation the call does go to the offense. Thank goodness they reversed it.’’
Speaking of Prince, felt like Aikman had an axe to grind or something with him. He kept bringing up Fewell's pre-season comment about playing to his 1st round level (which he has) and Aikman went on to cite Prince's "inconsistent" play - which again did not reflect on this season at all. I had to mute the TV to avoid any more ignorance from that dipshit.

I wonder if they also tell the Dallas CB's that?

No because they were also doing the same and a few times it should have been PI, the play that Hosley got call for PI was BS, Austin sold that fucking play perfectly dude was falling down, took away the sack too...

Dragon

Banned
One guy I'm hopeful for is Dennard.He's been making more good than bad plays for being a rookie.

He's certainly around the ball more. The interceptions he tends to get are when the QB severely underthrows it though which worries me a little. He's aggressive which is something I like in a corner since the rest of the Pats secondary is a bunch of chicken littles.

He's certainly around the ball more. The interceptions he tends to get are when the QB severely underthrows it though which worries me a little. He's aggressive which is something I like in a corner since the rest of the Pats secondary is a bunch of chicken littles.

He's already made more plays than Ras-I.

So Jason Babin only played 33 of 75 snaps for the Eagles yesterday. Maybe Todd Bowles realized that much like Osi, he's a situational pass rusher at best. Didn't help the Eagles defense much either way yesterday but thought it was interesting.

Rejoice Falcons fan, for we are 7-0.

We still haven't played anyone, win one in the playoffs, Cowardly Ryan, etc. etc.

Fuck all the haters, time to get on the bus!

So Jason Babin only played 33 of 75 snaps for the Eagles yesterday. Maybe Todd Bowles realized that much like Osi, he's a situational pass rusher at best. Didn't help the Eagles defense much either way yesterday but thought it was interesting.

Bowles said that he was going to rotate in the other guys a lot more. Graham is going to get more plays, and there was a lot of talk about Curry dressing for the Falcons game even though he didnt in the end. I am sure the penalty that kept the 1st drive going on Babin didnt help his playing time either.

bionic77

Great win for the Steelers yesterday, though it was tempered because man, the Washington Redskins defense really sucks.

Mike Adams being called a bust was premature. He's locked down that right side. Dude needs to gain some weight and get some more reps in, but I must say I'm still excited for this guy. He could very well be our LT of the future soon.

Colon is going to the Pro-Bowl. Yes I said it. He was atrocious the first few weeks but now he's come into his own and he is straight mauling guys. Dwyer had barn door size holes to run through behind Colon and shy of a pressure (that was mostly on Starks) Ben was kept clean inside all afternoon. Can't wait to have Colon, Pouncey, and Decastro together. Could we actually be close to having *gasp* a GOOD o-line?

Young Money was good again, although the hierarchy is changed - it's Brown at the top, followed by clutch Sanders and then Wallace. Maybe it's just me, but Wallace seems to have slowed down immensely, and without that speed he is a run of the mill possession receiver. Miller is Miller - i've argued that he's the best all around TE in the game and now we have an OC that can show people that. Took long enough.

Defense was great. Scooter was bitching that they weren't so hot but that was a product of the option offense. This was similar to the Tebow game against the Broncos last year, except that Lebeau sold out to stop Tebow because he didn't respect his throwing arm and that cost him. Griffin isn't the same, which makes his option way more dangerous. So many times the Linebackers had to freeze in their positions and diagnose who actually had the ball. That left some receivers open but the more important threat was Griffin.

As for the players themselves, Harrison looks to be winding into game shape, which is good because apparently Woodley has another hammy injury.

Keenan Lewis had his second great game in a row. Too early to expect a trend, but i'm really liking what i'm seeing from Booger (his nose is always running) recently. Nice to see another DB besides Troy, Ike, or Clark step up.

Speaking of Clark, harson is right, dude needs to learn how to tackle. He keeps taking himself out of games with those torpedo shots. He says he'll go for next week, which is good, because I don't like the idea of Eli against Will Allen and Ryan Mundy.
I agree with everything you said except about the defense being great. The Redskins dropped like a hundred passes yesterday that good teams are going to catch. I will say at least the defense was getting pressure, which is something we really couldn't say all year. We still suck dick at tackling, it looks too easy to run on us (though the Redskins have a beastly running game and we kind of kept it in check so that is something), and I don't think we have the stamina to be a 4 quarter defense.

I do agree with you that Adams was the biggest surprise. A lot of the great play from the line is from Haley who is not asking them to hold up for 6 seconds on every down where Ben tries to chuck it deep, but like you said they are opening up holes and winning matchups and most importantly cutting down on the holding and false start penalties.

Still worried about our defense, but at the same time everyone is trash this year anyways so it is not as big of a deal as it could be.

Too bad we don't have a east coast game tonight. We could have watched another hurricane game like the one the Steelers played in Miami several years ago. Remember the ball getting stuck in the ground? :lol

beast786

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET LOLions

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET I don't trust the Lions.

SEA @ DET Loins Losing, they gonna be loser

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET - Whoever scores first wins.

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET - Detroit's really bad. Still don't expect Seattle to score a ton, but I'd be shocked if they lost this one

SEA @ DET- Seahawks DB's are 500lbs each, so it's legal for them to buttfuck WRs. And Bears D embarrassed the Lions wideouts today.

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET - I'd go Lions, but I'm not gonna lie to myself. SEA has a much better chance at winning.

SEA @ DET

SEA @ DET go hawks

dm_121022_e60_matt_stafford.jpg

FINAL SCORE : DET 28 SEA 24
titustd.gif

ipH3rDzXeBDDl.jpg

SUCK IT NFL GAF

Too bad we don't have a east coast game tonight. We could have watched another hurricane game like the one the Steelers played in Miami several years ago. Remember the ball getting stuck in the ground? :lol
Yeah man, that game was insane! 3-0 was the final score and it was a miracle that the FG was even made because of how muddy the field was. What a fun game that was (more fun than most during that 1-15 season, at least...).

When that punt hit the ground and just stuck I laughed so hard.

Chaz Schilens says the chants for Tebow are B.S.

The New York Jets are sticking with Mark Sanchez. For now.

Coach Rex Ryan issued a vote of confidence for his quarterback-under-fire after yet another scattered performance in Sunday's disastrous 30-9 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

MetLife was not a happy place Sunday. The Jets sunk to 3-5 in a defeat that offered little hope for a fan base growing suspicious of the master plan in Florham Park. Many of those in attendance resorted to showering Sanchez with boos amid calls for backup Tim Tebow. That didn't sit well with some Jets players.

"That chanting is just B.S. Mark's the QB," receiver Chaz Schilens told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "I think the fans are out of place."

"We didn't play well," Schilens acknowledged. "They're pissed. So they have a right to be pissed."

Changing passers -- at least from Sanchez to Tebow -- won't be enough.

Hey Chaz, you know what else is BS? Being a paying Jets fan this season.

If my QB didn't know how to hold on to the ball every time he was sacked for so long I'd probably boo too.

Players calling out paying fans for booing when you're shitting the bed is just so stupid.

Slo

If only Lake Erie would drown the city of Detroit, maybe Goodell would take pity on them and gift them a Super Bowl.

University of Maryland just lost their fourth starting QB of the season. Their losing one every other game. Now, we throwing out a linebacker who played some option QB in high school. Should be awesome. I thought we might actually get a bowl this year.

bionic77

Yeah man, that game was insane! 3-0 was the final score and it was a miracle that the FG was even made because of how muddy the field was. What a fun game that was (more fun than most during that 1-15 season, at least...).

When that punt hit the ground and just stuck I laughed so hard.
Yeah that was hilarious. The announcers reaction made it even better. It was the most exciting thing that happened in that game.

Do you hear us Goodell? We need another hurricane game!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2012/1022/dm_121022_e60_matt_stafford/dm_121022_e60_matt_stafford.jpg[IMG]

[B]FINAL SCORE : DET 28 SEA 24[/B]
[IMG]http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1271485/titustd.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ipH3rDzXeBDDl.jpg[IMG]

SUCK IT NFL GAF[/QUOTE]

Can't believe you're talking shit about that one.

beast786

If only Lake Erie would drown the city of Detroit, maybe Goodell would take pity on them and gift them a Super Bowl.

LMAO

1504244_o.gif

Your shitty old ass 3rd world country stadium got drowned in snow. And thank god we saved your ass and goodell pity your franchise and played the makeup game in Detroit ford field. Otherwise your pathetic team would have been playing in the frozen lake somewhere in that shit of a state.

I agree with everything you said except about the defense being great. The Redskins dropped like a hundred passes yesterday that good teams are going to catch. I will say at least the defense was getting pressure, which is something we really couldn't say all year. We still suck dick at tackling, it looks too easy to run on us (though the Redskins have a beastly running game and we kind of kept it in check so that is something), and I don't think we have the stamina to be a 4 quarter defense.

Yeah, the Dropskins were bad. And most of the guys that dropped balls were wide friggen open, didn't care to see that from the D. Still, was generally a decent game overall for the Steelers. Like the way Dwyer and the run blocking are progressing.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
University of Maryland just lost their fourth starting QB of the season. Their losing one every other game. Now, we throwing out a linebacker who played some option QB in high school. Should be awesome. I thought we might actually get a bowl this year.

Didn't those morons hire Mike Locksley as their oc? Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahahahaa!

Slo

LMAO

1504244_o.gif

Your shitty old ass 3rd world country stadium got drowned in snow. And thank god we saved your ass and goodell pity your franchise and played the makeup game in Detroit ford field. Otherwise your pathetic team would have been playing in the frozen lake somewhere in that shit of a state.

Meanwhile in Detroit

6a00d83451b88a69e201156fd3532b970b-800wi

Richard Sherman talks a big game

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/29/richard-sherman-i-made-calvin-johnson-a-non-factor/

PFT said:
Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman dubbed himself Optimus Prime last week because he planned to shut down Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, aka Megatron. And sure enough, Johnson had just three catches for 46 yards on Sunday. So Sherman was proud of himself afterward.

“I mean, you see his numbers – they speak for themselves,” Sherman said. “He was a non-factor. So, you know, that’s how that went.”

Sherman doesn’t deserve all the credit for Johnson’s disappointing day: Johnson had three dropped passes, including one in the end zone, and if Johnson had made those catches, Sherman wouldn’t have as much room to boast about how he covered Johnson.

And, of course, there’s the little matter of the Lions winning the game. Johnson wasn’t a major factor in the Lions’ victory, but second-year receiver Titus Young had the best game of his career, with nine catches for 100 yards and two touchdowns, and Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford had his best game of the season against Seattle’s secondary.

Seattle cornerback Brandon Browner said after the game that the Seahawks did exactly what they planned to do to contain Johnson, but the problem was they couldn’t contain everyone else.

“I thought before the game even started we were going to do OK against him,” Browner said. “But it’s the other guys that got off. We can’t focus on one player, because we tend to forget that they’ve got stars like Titus Young. . . . I thought we would match up well with [Johnson]. He’s a big guy. We’re big guys. It’s the little guys that we’ll have problems with, because they can get in and out of breaks faster than we do.”

And so while Optimus Prime is bragging about stopping Megatron, the Lions may have provided the blueprint for passing against the Seahawks’ secondary.

bionic77

Yeah, the Dropskins were bad. And most of the guys that dropped balls were wide friggen open, didn't care to see that from the D. Still, was generally a decent game overall for the Steelers. Like the way Dwyer and the run blocking are progressing.
Our only hope on D is that the injured players get healthier at the end of the season (even though this never really ever happens in football) and the younger players continue to improve.

Really we need the offense to carry us. Right now we can't rely on the defense.

I am worried what Eli is going to do to us next week...

squicken

I just found it funny that it was literally the exact same play. Both from the far hash, cover 2, around midfield, 2 WR route, PA. The only difference is that the Rams WRs on the far side of the field runs too far inside and turns the hips of the far side safety right into the play

Slo

Even that pics shows more trace of civilization than whole state of iceberg Minnesota .

Shit, I actually didn't expect you to respond. There must be quite the line forming behind you at the community computer in the Detroit Public Library.

A simple, effective breakdown of the Giants defense in the last drive for the Cowboys. Talks about strategy and some of the coverages. It specifically talks about Witten's routes which I mentioned yesterday a few time. He kept running the same out over and over again and the Giants defense couldn't pick it up until the last few plays. Decent read.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40111566/

11th Play: The final play of the drive gets its own diagram. Let’s look at a few subtleties in the figure. First, note how Justin Tuck (91) and the other defensive tackle (Chris Canty, not numbered) are both lined up between the center and a guard. It is fourth-and-one, after all, and the Giants must be wary of a quarterback sneak. Also, notice that there is no defender head-up on Witten (82). The plan is to bracket Witten with a linebacker (Boley, not numbered) and Stevie Brown (27). This play is similar in design, offensively and defensively, to many of the 10 plays that came before it.

Romo has three receivers running short routes to pick up the first down. Not surprisingly, Witten is one of them, and he is running a variation on the out-route he ran many times on this drive. By now, the Giants are waiting for it, and when Romo looks Witten’s way, he has no chance of completing a pass, because Boley undercut the route and Brown is glued to the tight end.

Romo has bigger problems. Osi Umenyiora (72), who applied pressure during the scramble earlier in the drive, has once again broken free. When Romo tries to roll away from him, Tuck also eludes his defender. The four-man rush that did not seem to provide enough pressure early in the drive (though it did generate a scramble and a sack negated by a penalty) is making noise when needed most.

One defender who does not join the Romo chase is Jason Pierre-Paul (90). After getting stymied on his first move on this play, JPP drops back to clog any potential passing lanes to Jones or Austin. This is great situational football; the Giants do not need a third lineman chasing Romo, but they do need an extra body guarding the first down line.

So Romo, with two defenders on his tail and no one open, launches a desperate pass to Witten on the sideline. Brown intercepts it, but an incomplete pass would have the same effect on fourth down in the final minutes. The Giants prevented a comeback, and they did it without the “prevent.”

giants_story_943ess7s_88yj6d95.jpg

Top Bottom