• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

Rorschach

This is what happens when the only basketball you have seen consists of the movie Space Jam.

If only Milwaukee had a basketball team I might try to engage you in a debate about the game.
He really wanted to say Larry Bird, but didn't want to sound too Wisconsin.

Bowser

Beason officially to IR

Bill Voth ‏@billvoth
While Beason faces knee surgery, he’ll likely have to get shoulder surgery as well. He wasn’t close to healthy, esp after Week 3. #Panthers

Blehhhhhhhh

Beason's played 5 games since signing that $50m contract :|

And Eli and Peyton. The bigger the goober, the better the QB

tx_rivers.jpg

squicken

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/24/offensive-line-rankings/

PFF has an article on the OL rankings

bottom 5

32 Cards

31 Jags

30 Raiders

29 Rams

28 Seahawk this is oddly based mostly on all the penalties they have. Poorly coached Cheatin' Pete team you say?

top 5

1 SF their numbers are unreal. almost as good as cards are bad. all that talent and they will end up wasting two years, at least, with Alex

2 KC in addition to this they have played the league's easiest schedule

3 Vikes

4 Saints also very easy schedule

5 DET

Godslay

Banned
I have a feeling that those three SB will always be tainted, especially if they don't win another one under BB. No matter how many ad homs Dragon throws around the facts won't change.

1. Kevin Kolb.... lol! Kolb is not good. The last game he started the team put up 3 points. Sorry, this isn't a big loss if a loss at all.
2. Both starting OT's on a horrible line. So lets say on a scale from 1-10, your original starting tackles were rated 5's. Your backups 4's. ok? this was going to be a huge difference? no.
3. Your pass blocking was better the first 3 weeks? lets take a look:

week 1: 3 sacks allowed, 43 yards rushing
week 2: 2 sacks allowed, 102 yards rushing (on 32 carries)
week 3: 3 sacks allowed, 99 yards rushing (on 34 carries)
week 4: 8 sacks allowed, 28 rush yards (on 15 carries)

and now, the 3 losses:

week 5: 9 sacks allowed, 45 rush yards
week 6: 5 sacks allowed, 182 rush yards
week 7: 7 sacks allowed, 126 rush yards

So yeah, looks like your pass blocking took a hit but your run blocking significantly improved somehow without the hall of famer todd heap and it looks like your rush offense was devestated once your fullback got injured.... even though your run numbers have increased for the better!

4. kerry rhodes!? lol! alright...

5. which one of your starting DE's was injured? dockett? he has missed 1 game. and he has 0 sacks this season in 6 games started

6. who is this? Toler? heheahaha. alright man, i'm as big of a homer as any but come on

1. That QB rating you're so obsessed with, why don't you look at it for Kolb those first four weeks? That's cute that you took the game where he was sacked 9 times thanks to the OL as your entire sample to try to suggest he hasn't been good this season. Troll harder.

2. Give me a freaking break. Levi wouldn't make much difference from Batiste? hahahaha you aren't even trying! Levi is especially more effective at run blocking which would have helped significantly with the run game early on. Yes, it would be a HUGE difference to have him in instead of Batiste.

3. I know it sounds funny saying Heap was effective at blocking, but he has been. He actually only played the first two games, my bad for saying three. When you have a guy that's blocking well out, you have to compensate with multiple bodies and that takes away from somewhere else. Our 'improved' run blocking is perceived for having more success the last two games. Minny couldn't see little LSH and he had a career game, it was hilarious. If we continue to have success with our 3rd and 4th string RB's, I'll be ecstatic. That means we are seeing growth from the rookie tackle or maybe our low string RB's are better than we thought. Sherman is a stud and it is a large blow to the running game but also blocking over all. You argument is extremely flawed just using numbers. There are dozens of plays I watch where you see it really hurts not having him in there. Not to mention his fill-in, Mau'a is the moron that has had those horrible penalties that killed scoring drives late, losing us games. We both know that stats are nice, but never tell the full story in sports.

4. Rhodes has been great in Arizona. Don't care what your perception of him was before then. Only problem is injuries but when he's healthy, he's effective.

5. Dockett, yes. He MISSED one game but he was extremely limited the next game or two and has had to step off the field for various plays he normally wouldn't since. Anytime he's out is a big deal. Here's another point where your stats fail you, miserably. You know why he hasn't run up sacks? Because he gets double teamed every play! Guess what that does for our LB's and Campbell? Stats are completely worthless for displaying team play. His being double teammed allows others to get to the QB.

6. Having Greg Toler out means putting William Gay on the field. Gay fucking sucks. Toler was looking good before his injury last season but since he doesn't have a large sample of play since then, you can take this one off if you want but a healthy Toler would be leagues better than Gay.

eznark

Banned
All of Milwaukee squicken'd to the Bulls during the 90s. The only thing the Bucks have ever had was "remember that time we had Lew Alcindor? yeah....."

Lies. All of Milwaukee hated the Bulls and was passionate about basketball during the Big Three. Then Stern chose Iverson over Allen and fixed the Eastern Conference Finals (losing on a fucking lane violation? I hope you die of raccoon aids, Stern you vile diseased cunt)

Then Herb Kohl's boyfriend decided it would be a good idea to trade Ray Allen and Bucks basketball died.

All of Milwaukee squicken'd to the Bulls during the 90s. The only thing the Bucks have ever had was "remember that time we had Lew Alcindor? yeah....."

This.

Grew up in the 90's watching Jordan. Are you guys really even sure that Milwaukee has a professional basketball team?

Eznark is the only living bucks fan...

bottom 5

32 Cards

31 Jags

30 Raiders

29 Rams

28 Seahawk this is oddly based mostly on all the penalties they have. Poorly coached Cheatin' Pete team you say?

top 5

1 SF their numbers are unreal. almost as good as cards are bad. all that talent and they will end up wasting two years, at least, with Alex

3 Vikes

5 DET

LOL at the Eagles not being in the bottom 5. The center cant block anyone and the LT is a total joke. Shady has been able to make something out of nothing a few times and Vick escapes multiple sacks a game. I really cant see how an OL could be worse, they give up pressure right up the middle almost every play.

Slo

The Bucks would have a larger fanbase if their name was a blue collar occupation that contributed to 'sconi obesity. Like the Milwaukee Fry Cooks.

eznark

Banned
LOL at the Eagles not being in the bottom 5. The center cant block anyone and the LT is a total joke. Shady has been able to make something out of nothing a few times and Vick escapes multiple sacks a game. I really cant see how an OL could be worse, they give up pressure right up the middle almost every play.

They are bottom 5 in pass pro but grade out very well in run blocking.

They are bottom 5 in pass pro but grade out very well in run blocking.

I saw that but even the run blocking I dont think it a true measure of the OL. Shady is probably better then any back at making the first guy miss, so he can get positive yards on a play in which a defender is in the backfield due to a missed block.

squicken

Everyone thinks their line is bad but for a few teams. What fans don't realize is how truly awful other teams have it. Like we can all make fun of Gabbert and Kolb but those guys are playing under conditions that very few quarterbacks ever face

eznark

Banned
I saw that but even the run blocking I dont think it a true measure of the OL. Shady is probably better then any back at making the first guy miss, so he can get positive yards on a play in which a defender is in the backfield due to a missed block.

Well I am sure you watching the games once via the broadcast feed is every bit as capable of grading out an offensive line as professionals.

bionic77

Vick doesn't help out the line either in how horribly he picks up and reacts to the blitz.

I have not seen every snap he has played this year, but man everytime a team sends a blitz he seems to take off running instead of keeping his eyes downfield. The Eagles used to be great at setting up screens to the RB to slow it down and they have a perfect back for that in McCoy, but I don't see the Eagles do that for whatever reason. In fact their screen game kind of sucks now.

Reid doesn't seem to give a fuck anymore and the word seems to be out on Vick on how to stop him on D.

Everyone thinks their line is bad but for a few teams. What fans don't realize is how truly awful other teams have it. Like we can all make fun of Gabbert and Kolb but those guys are playing under conditions that very few quarterbacks ever face

Well I am sure you watching the games once via the broadcast feed is every bit as capable of grading out an offensive line as professionals.

I am sure you are both right but it does seem odd after watching all the Eagles games this year and many other teams games that the Eagles could be one of the top run blocking teams when they have a really good back and yet struggle so much to run the ball when they do try. I am sure there is some subtle detail that you have to be an expert to appreciate and I am missing.

Rorschach

Was just gonna say this. Everyone thinks they have the worst OL in history. Partly because they want to excuse their skills position players or make them to be even better than they seem. And partly because every bad play gets blown out of proportion. OMG my QB got sacked? That's never supposed to happen! Our OL is the worst!
I bet you would all jump ship from the Pack at the drop of a hat too. Probably become Bears or Pats fans.

1. That QB rating you're so obsessed with, why don't you look at it for Kolb those first four weeks? That's cute that you took the game where he was sacked 9 times thanks to the OL as your entire sample to try to suggest he hasn't been good this season. Troll harder.

2. Give me a freaking break. Levi wouldn't make much difference from Batiste? hahahaha you aren't even trying! Levi is especially more effective at run blocking which would have helped significantly with the run game early on. Yes, it would be a HUGE difference to have him in instead of Batiste.

3. I know it sounds funny saying Heap was effective at blocking, but he has been. He actually only played the first two games, my bad for saying three. When you have a guy that's blocking well out, you have to compensate with multiple bodies and that takes away from somewhere else. Our 'improved' run blocking is perceived for having more success the last two games. Minny couldn't see little LSH and he had a career game, it was hilarious. If we continue to have success with our 3rd and 4th string RB's, I'll be ecstatic. That means we are seeing growth from the rookie tackle or maybe our low string RB's are better than we thought. Sherman is a stud and it is a large blow to the running game but also blocking over all. You argument is extremely flawed just using numbers. There are dozens of plays I watch where you see it really hurts not having him in there. Not to mention his fill-in, Mau'a is the moron that has had those horrible penalties that killed scoring drives late, losing us games. We both know that stats are nice, but never tell the full story in sports.

4. Rhodes has been great in Arizona. Don't care what your perception of him was before then. Only problem is injuries but when he's healthy, he's effective.

5. Dockett, yes. He MISSED one game but he was extremely limited the next game or two and has had to step off the field for various plays he normally wouldn't since. Anytime he's out is a big deal. Here's another point where your stats fail you, miserably. You know why he hasn't run up sacks? Because he gets double teamed every play! Guess what that does for our LB's and Campbell? Stats are completely worthless for displaying team play. His being double teammed allows others to get to the QB.

6. Having Greg Toler out means putting William Gay on the field. Gay fucking sucks. Toler was looking good before his injury last season but since he doesn't have a large sample of play since then, you can take this one off if you want but a healthy Toler would be leagues better than Gay.

Why only the first 4 weeks on kolb? Did he not play in the 5th game? Or the 6th?

Levi brown is trash. And now we are counting games where someone is dinged up as injuries? Zomfg how is the 49ers D so good when half our guys have been dinged up most of the season!? How!

Cardinals aren't a good team top to bottom. The facts are there to prove it.

Now are we on for a week avatar bet or not

bionic77

Was just gonna say this. Everyone thinks they have the worst OL in history. Partly because they want to excuse their skills position players or make them to be even better than they seem. And partly because every bad play gets blown out of proportion. OMG my QB got sacked? That's never supposed to happen! Our OL is the worst!

I bet you would all jump ship from the Pack at the drop of a hat too. Probably become Bears or Pats fans.
Oh shit!

That might have gone below the belt Rors.

Looking at the Steelers OL rankings they seem to be exactly in line with what I have been seeing on the field. Decent pass protection, among the worst run blocking in the league, and also close to the lead in penalties. Though in the line's defense, we must be one of the most penalized teams in the league. Every part of the team from offense, defense, and special teams is contributing to the cause for us to become Raiders East!

squicken

Vick doesn't help out the line either in how horribly he picks up and reacts to the blitz.

It is of course subjective, but PFF assigns sacks and hurries to the QB when he holds it too long or steps into pressure. It's not gospel, but a pretty good starting point imo

That said, if a QB calls a poor protection like forcing a C to try and solo block a NT shading a gap, then the C takes a hit when it really isn't on him

Troll

Banned
I have a feeling that those three SB will always be tainted, especially if they don't win another one under BB. No matter how many ad homs Dragon throws around the facts won't change.

Hey have you ever noticed that our rookie QB Osweiler looks like that Edward dude from those dumb vampire movies?

bionic77

Steelers have the perfect plan to stop RGIII, they're wearing those god awful throwbacks. Griffin might be paralyzed with laughter.
Fuck those throwbacks.

And I would like to see RGIII run away from Harrison with his bad back and gimpy knees or SB champion Larry Foote! I like you RGIII but we are bringing the pain this Sunday!

cajunator

Banned
The Saints Oline is holding up well with Grubbs in there, but its still weak at the edges where Bushrod and Strief are.
Bushrod always had some help by Nicks and now Grubbs, but Kromer doesnt seem to be using RBs and TE's to chip block like Payton sets up. As a result there has been a ton of pressure around the edges and up until a couple games ago the pocket was collapsing and taking the Saints O out of rhythm. Looks to be settled now though.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

bottom 5

32 Cards

31 Jags

30 Raiders

29 Rams

top 5

3 Vikes

5 DET

Browns at #10 that's what's up.

tmdorsey

Yeah in one of his press conferences, Mike Smith did a good explaining that more goes into pass protection than just OL play. It made mention of few things that people can easily forget about like the time it takes to the QB to get the ball out of his hands, or receivers running their routes properly to backs and TE's picking up proper blocking assignments.

bionic77

It is of course subjective, but PFF assigns sacks and hurries to the QB when he holds it too long or steps into pressure. It's not gospel, but a pretty good starting point imo

That said, if a QB calls a poor protection like forcing a C to try and solo block a NT shading a gap, then the C takes a hit when it really isn't on him
I would not say that Vick holds on to the ball too long, but he just doesn't react well to pressure. That is true of most quarterbacks, but he seems to panic at the first sight of pressure instead of just standing in there, picking up the blitz, and getting the ball to whoever their safety valve is in that situation. Obviously the whole team has to react to the blitz and the receivers have to break off their routes as well, but I am not watching the game film on the Eagles and I am just talking about what I see Vick doing.

Also, running the ball also helps to slow down the blitz. :lol Reid.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Lies. All of Milwaukee hated the Bulls and was passionate about basketball during the Big Three. Then Stern chose Iverson over Allen and fixed the Eastern Conference Finals (losing on a fucking lane violation? I hope you die of raccoon aids, Stern you vile diseased cunt)

Then Herb Kohl's boyfriend decided it would be a good idea to trade Ray Allen and Bucks basketball died.

It might be because we were all in late elementary school when the Bulls were starting to win all those championships but I don't remember any love for the Bucks in the late 80s/early 90s. Brewers? Oh heck yeah, Paul Molitor and Robin Yount were practically deified and guys like BJ Surhoff and Greg Vaughn were loved. And Pat Listach was supposed to be the greatest ball player of all time!

eznark

Banned
It might be because we were all in late elementary school when the Bulls were starting to win all those championships but I don't remember any love for the Bucks in the late 80s/early 90s. Brewers? Oh heck yeah, Paul Molitor and Robin Yount were practically deified and guys like BJ Surhoff and Greg Vaughn were loved. And Pat Listach was supposed to be the greatest ball player of all time!

Your friends were a bunch of front running clown fuckers. No love for ALLLLLLLLLLVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN?

Smokey

I was listening to ESPN's betting podcast, don't know the exact name of it, but some interesting numbers. For Thursday games:

Home favorites are winning more than 80% of games straight up over the past few years

Home favorites getting more than 6 have never lost since I want to say 2000

The context was that the point spread was worthless but making money line plays was like free money. I kind of think it's such a huge competitive advantage that the league will have to tweak the format, especially with the Rooneys losing.

I've tried to tell people this! People get caught up in parlays but you can do that on money lines too.

Point spread is nerve wracking. Like that bears game... They covered the spread until that late touchdown by the Lions moved the spread over to them. That would've drove me crazy if I had played that game on the bears

bionic77

Your friends were a bunch of front running clown fuckers. No love for ALLLLLLLLLLVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN?
No wonder you moved out of sconiland.

I could never live near so many mouth breathing, bandwagoning, Jordaphiles.

TB @ MIN - I think Josh Freeman will work some of his magic.

MIA @ NYJ - Jets probably have this one with some Tebow love.
SD @ CLE - I would normally pick SD but I think Browns might get through at home.
IND @ TEN - Luck will need some luck.
NE @ STL - Go PATS PATS PATS!!!
JAC @ GB - Yeah the obvious.
ATL @ PHI - Hard pick but I'm going with Philly at home.
WAS @ PIT - RGIII baby.
SEA @ DET - LOL
CAR @ CHI - Chicago has been winning a lot, right? right???

OAK @ KC - No idea but going with the home team.
NYG @ DAL - I just want Dallas to win.
NO @ DEN - QB showdown, going with Denver at home.

SF @ ARI - I just picked SF cuz I like them more.

Looking forward to this weekend, Go Pats!!!

tmdorsey

I've tried to tell people this! People get caught up in parlays but you can do that on money lines too.

Point spread is nerve wracking. Like that bears game... They covered the spread until that late touchdown by the Lions moved the spread over to them. That would've drove me crazy if I had played that game on the bears

I still don't understand how money lines work.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

My 10 year old self never even heard of the guy until a few years later when we moved to Arkansas!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
lol last night I posted Stafford's and Newton's stats side-by-side and asked why Stafford has largely been ignored by the national media while Newton is routinely roasted...and then this article show up on NFL.com today:

Cam Newton criticized while Matthew Stafford ignored

That's the same way it was last year except Newton was being praised.

I don't want to hear crying about Newton being criticized because last year he was all over everything. Media couldn't stop talking about the guy. Now that he's tanking, you think they'll just ignore him?

LevelNth

Banned
A significant boost to the Niners run blocking grades is IMO the trap schemes designed by Harbaugh and Roman. No one designs trap and fly out blocks better in the NFL right now.

The Niners OL will be the best part of our offense for quite some time, outside of Goodwin in the middle everyone has 5+ years left, if not more.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I'm offended by this post. You're being too insular.

there were a lot of Bears fans living in Milwaukee when I was a kid in the pre-Favre/Majowski era because of that Super Bowl win, it was disgusting

Dragon

Banned
Don't even waste your time learning about it.

It is a huge waste of time and money to gamble on football.

The truest thing you have said since Belichick is a genius.

Clearly the fact that they got 1 break for them in a SB explains why they were undefeated in 3 SBs before the league caught them cheating, and have gone 7 years without winning a SB since they were caught cheating. It was all Kasay.

The Patriots won those three games by nine points combined. Of course luck played a huge part of that. Just like luck played a part in them losing the two since. Dismissing that and solely concentrating on the cameras is dumb, even for a Philly fan.

Top Bottom