• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

yuck

not a fan of the fall seasonal, too much spice flavor. can't wait for winter beers to come out, i miss my winter warmer.

i now realize how much i contradicted myself with those sentences.

winter lager is good too.
Can't wait to try some of these winter beers, really enjoyed Summer Shandys when it was warmer out
WAsTT.jpg
What a amazing picture

SonnyBoy

Not sure if if i follow his logic:

"Outside of the 3-step game, every route breaks at a depth of 12-15 yards. From a defensive perspective, if the WR doesn’t drop his hips at that depth he is going down the field. Open your hips and get on top of the route."

"I have no issue with the coverage. In a two-minute situation, taking away Cruz is a smart idea. However, as a DB you can never assume (or guess) the route scheme. And there is no excuse to giving up a TD when you have two DBs bracketing a WR in the slot."

He doesn't blame the coverage but says that as a DB you should assume he is going deep if he doesn't break off his route early but also states a DB shouldn't assume a route. IT seems that in this case the DB, most likely Williams should of read the receivers body language and assumed he was going deep. So is it the coaches fault for putting Williams in a spot where he couldn't react to Victor fast enough due to his speed, or Williams fault for just not reacting fast enough mentally?

That shit is on Williams. He wasn't where he was supposed to be. It was double-fucking-coverage and he was standing flat-footed. Williams isn't a rookie, he should know that he does not possess elite speed and that he needs to give himself every advantage that he can.

Jim Wexell was agreeing with me about Roethlisberger. He says he too routinely lets teams hang around instead of putting them out for the count. Complain about the defense all you want, but we would have been 5 and 1 if Ben was still as clutch as we insist he is.

The Steel Curtain is gone. This team can still be good, but it's up to Roethlisberger. Rodgers, Brady, and Brees all have shit defenses and find ways to win.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Blaming Ben is fucking hilarious. He's having one of his best years of his career. How in the world could anyone say hes somehow part of the problem? Maybe the defense should just do their damn job.

effzee

- We can't run the ball
- We can't stop the run
- Offense looks anemic at times despite having arguably one of the best receiving corps in the league.

It isn't good.

Well you are in luck! The Eagles can't stop the run and refuse to run the ball. Also our D plays great first half but then goes to sleep in the last quarter.

This will be the Falcons break out game which is funny to say for an undefeated team.

Drakeon

Why do I keep thinking its Thursday? I was contemplating not even bothering watching the game, Vikebikes are gonna ride all over the taco trucks.

LJ11

But as coach you gotta pick your poison and he he picked the wrong one. Williams hasn't proved to be reliable in the past 6 games so why put him in this spot now?

Yeah, I agree. I could understand if they ran that coverage on 3rd down and the Giants had no time outs, needed to get the ball out of bounds, but with 3 timeouts on 2nd down you better have faith that your DBs can do the job.

Blaming Ben is fucking hilarious. He's having one of his best years of his career. How in the world could anyone say hes somehow part of the problem? Maybe the defense should just do their damn job.

Mike Wallace had 4 drops on Sunday. Haley drew up some softballs to get him going, but mainly sent him out to get separation for the other Wide Receivers. Ben still goes to him late, he predictably drops the passes.

Dwyer is eating the shit out of the Bungholes ass. Does Ben keep the ball on him? Nope, checks to a pass, shot to Wallace, drop, drive stalled.

Situational football is important. I didn't want to believe it at first, but now I'm really starting to see that Ben is resistant as fuck to Haley's offense. At some point he, and everybody, is going to have to realize that the Steelers D isn't what it once was and as such they can't keep bailing him out. The Bengals are a bad football team. Good teams won't let you hang around and beat them up like that - you have to put them away. If he wants to keep winning games he needs to get his head out of his ass.

squicken

So I checked Matt Bowen's section on NFP to see if he broke down the Cruz play against the Skins, and he did. Check it out here.

Knew it was Cover 7, should have said so but I wasn't sure if the term was correct because I think coordinators vary up the terms. I know for a fact Buddy Ryan called it Cover 7, it's where I first read about it.

Bowen does guest spots in radio sometimes. Really like him. Very didactic and doesn't push a story when discussing games. Just goes with what he saw

squicken

Situational football is important. I didn't want to believe it at first, but now I'm really starting to see that Ben is resistant as fuck to Haley's offense. At some point he, and everybody, is going to have to realize that the Steelers D isn't what it once was and as such they can't keep bailing him out. The Bengals are a bad football team. Good teams won't let you hang around and beat them up like that - you have to put them away. If he wants to keep winning games he needs to get his head out of his ass.

My problem with Ben is that he doesn't seem to understand what has sunk them the past few years is HIS health at the end of the season. He's been so ineffective b/c he just can't overcome the leg issues. The old defense is a big problem which makes it even more imperative for Ben to be healthy, and that means throwing from the pocket and not holding it for 8 seconds and taking shots all game

edit: Verlander got rocked. Such a emotional blow for DET for him to lose

Without looking it up, anyone care to guess who the least and most popular players are according to Forbes?
Least
Cutler
Big Ben
Suh
Brandon marshall
Osi just because he never stops talking
Cromartie
Santonio Holmes

.....can't think anymore my head hurts
I personally Like both Marshall and Cutler

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
NFL's most-liked players

1. Troy Polamalu (63 percent appeal rating)
T-2. Drew Brees (62 percent)
T-2. Charles Woodson (62 percent)
4. Peyton Manning (59 percent)
T-5. Aaron Rodgers (58 percent)
T-5. Rob Gronkowski (58 percent)
T-7. Donald Driver (57 percent)
T-7. Robert Griffin III (57 percent)
T-7. Brian Urlacher (57 percent)
10. Matthew Stafford (56 percent)

NFL's least-liked players

1. Ndamukong Suh (19 percent appeal rating)
2. Jay Cutler (21 percent)
3. Michael Vick (23 percent)
4. Randy Moss (24 percent)
5. Matt Leinart (26 percent)
T-6. Kyle Orton (27 percent)
T-6. Tony Romo (27 percent)
8. Santonio Holmes (28 percent)
T-10. Mark Sanchez (31 percent)
T-10. Brady Quinn (31 percent)

NFL's most-liked players

I want a recount.

eznark

Banned

Racism obviously

squicken

From ESPN's NFCW blog.

MIN never rushed more than 4 and sacked Skeltor 7 times

GB normally rushes more than four on 42% of pass plays. Sunday they did so on 66% of pass plays, the highest total of any team last week.

Ive noticed this happens a lot with STL. Teams blitz, Rams throw hot, 5 yard gain. Teams have no fear of a big play

edit: Urlacher? Brady Quinn? How do either of those guys rise to the level of even being noticed enough to like or hate?

Drakeon

NFL's most-liked players

Are there that many saints fans that Drew Brees is that well liked? I didn't hate the guy before all the "wheres the evidence?!" stuff, but I'm starting to hate him now.

Also, top 3 least liked are well deserved! Leinart being so high is kinda random, lots of pissed off Cardinals fans?

Was he even signed by anyone this offseason?

He's the backup in Oakland. They're going for a trifecta of USC quarterbacks and drafting Matt Barkely next year.

NFL's most-liked players

Everybody hates Neckbeard.

My problem with Ben is that he doesn't seem to understand what has sunk them the past few years is HIS health at the end of the season. He's been so ineffective b/c he just can't overcome the leg issues. The old defense is a big problem which makes it even more imperative for Ben to be healthy, and that means throwing from the pocket and not holding it for 8 seconds and taking shots all game

Ben is having a great season as far as staying upright goes. Haley's offense focuses on a lot of simple screens and checkdowns to keep the chains moving, and the run game is heavy on trapping and pulling guards (which is why Decastro's injury was a massive blow). Ben has only taken 13 sacks on the year, and three of them were in garbage time of the Denver game.

Haley's offense is working for Ben, and his numbers are fantastic. The Offense Time of possession is way up (only the Pats are higher) and our #1 Tight End Heath Miller is having a career year. Problem for Ben is that it doesn't feature those huge homerun shots down the field like Arians used to employ (which is what had Ben scrambling and getting sacked 5 times a game - word of warning to Andrew Luck). Ben whined to the Post-Gazette that the lack of deep stuff was on the OC, not him.

Ben has also historically wanted to throw regardless of how the run game was doing. Haley won't let him, even though in the first few games it was absolutely putrid - 2.1 YPC I think our best RB was getting. Now the O-Line has settled down and they're seeing good gains but Ben wants to throw the ball. It's that situational football that I was talking about.

squicken

So uh..football, yeah!

I've noticed most NFL forums are very much Us Weekly types of places. It's kind of hard to find a place where people really stick to football stuff. Not that I am complaining, really, levity is needed.

There's nothing worse than know it all, frustrated, junior high coaches. Though they are probably my favorite sports radio caller. Inevitably they go to the "my 13 year olds could beat these guys"

edit: Yeah I guess I didn't make that clear. I see Ben whining about Haley's offense but it is exactly what he needed. Arians is getting Luck blasted in Indy. He throws downfield more than any QB. Nothing sinks a team like an injured QB. There's no next man up

WedgeX

Banned

What has he done to inspire hate? He frustrates me with his unevenness right now, but nothing to hate.

A slanger.

iE7vbuNxHALix.jpg

Cares about his teammates.

ibxb0BfPqifZeO.jpg

Doesn't give up on them, despite suffering injuries that require surgery later.

ilGq2gzyo9e0Q.jpg

And that winning fat kid smile.

ipH3rDzXeBDDl.jpg

How can you hate this?

Unless you have an irrational hate of fat people.

Top Bottom