• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 8 |OT| Take A Chill Pill

mr2xxx

Banned
No he won't. We don't lose to rookie QBs for a reason, and that's the fact that we don't run straight forward defensive schemes when we play them.

His legs may hurt us, but I guarantee when it comes to the passing game, it's going to become very apparent that he's a rookie.

He'll hurt you guys with his conservative, accurate passing as much as he would with his legs. Considering he practices against your D on a daily basis I doubt you guys throw in anything that will confuse him, granted you guys do run it better than us but my point still stands.

Think of it like' at least you won't get a 43-13 ass beating this week agin either. Look at the positives man!

There are no positives. The sound you heard after the AFC Championship game was the Ravens window slamming shut. And that sound you heard after this past game, it was the other shoe dropping. We were waiting with baited breathe for this bad defense and bad offense to show up, and it did. It's over and done for us. We're now a moderate to poor team. We're the Cowboys, and it's going to be like that for a while. At least as long as we have Flacco.

Our only chance to make the playoffs is the shit AFC North. We're going 9-7, and only because we started out winning 5 of 6. This offense is not good. This defense is not good. Our coaching to not good. Dean Pease, Cam Cameron suck, and John Harbaugh is getting smug. He's as much a beneficiary of the Ravens Defense as Flacco. Let's see how he handles some adversity.

Suggs looked good. That's a positive. But he also looked fat, so it cancelled it out.

For a guy that was supposedly "NFL ready" coming out of Florida State, he really seems immature as a QB. He's very accurate, and the coaching staff has done a good job of designing plays that make the best of out our limited personnel. His hype was mostly around his high completion percentage and lack of interceptions, but when EVERY play is a fake to AD and then a drag route to Percy, it's easy to look good.

We don't run longer developing, deeper routes because 1) We don't have the WRs to do it. 2) AD can't block for shit. And 3) We don't trust Ponder to make good decisions.

Vikings fans need to take some deep breaths. Enjoy the ride on the Vikebike.

I can understand some fans starting to freak out (and patience is a hard thing to deal with in a league with so much talent), but this is the kid's first full year as an NFL starter with a full off-season behind him.

Also remember: this was to be truly a developing, rebuilding year for the Vikes... one of, if not the, youngest team in the NFL. The fact they are 5-2 is pretty damn amazing to me and I'm an optimistic fan. I predicted an 8-8 season at the absolute best.

I'm not saying Ponder is going to be elite (he could if he continues to develop, or he could just be a game manager for 10+ years), but all this doom and gloom after a couple rough starts seems to be forgetting his college play.
He's a smart kid. He'll learn. We've already seen tremendous improvement from last season, IMO.

Just by breaking down some of the best QB's in football right now (partial/full rookie seasons to recent seasons):
(WARNING: STATS! BOO!)

1998 Peyton Manning: 6.5 YPA
2010 Peyton Manning: 9.17 YPA

2005, 2006 Eli Manning: 6.75, 6.22 YPA
2011, 2012 Eli Manning: 8.38, 7.96 YPA

2002, 2003 Drew Brees: 6.24, 5.92 YPA
2011, 2012 Drew Brees: 8.34, 7.68 YPA

2001 Tom Brady: 6.88 YPA
2011 Tom Brady: 8.57 YPA

2012 Christian Ponder: 6.37 YPA

In addition to that:

Christian Ponder- First 17 NFL Starts (2011-2012)
301 completions, 501 attempts (60.1 percent), 3,246 yards, 22 TD, 19 INT
Brett Favre- First 17 NFL Starts (1992-1993) 344 completions, 539 attempts (63.8 percent), 3,564 yards, 20 TD, 17 INT
Aaron Rodgers- First 17 NFL Starts (2008-2009)
358 completions, 564 attempts (63.5 percent), 4,222 yards, 29 TD, 13 INT
Peyton Manning- First 17 NFL Starts (1998-1999) 347 completions, 608 attempts (57.1 percent), 4,023 yards, 28 TD, 30 INT
Eli Manning- First 17 NFL Starts (2004-2005) 265 completions, 520 attempts (51 percent), 3,297 yards, 24 TD, 18 INT
Drew Brees-First 17 NFL Starts (2002-2003) 338 completions, 559 attempts (60.5 percent), 3,486 yards, 19 TD, 18 INT

The Vikings are improving the OLine (I don't care if you are Breesus Christ, a QB will be hard-pressed to be productive with 1.05 seconds from snap to get rid of the ball when the OLine is collapsing). I mean, do you guys even remember how shitty the offensive line for this team has been going back to the end of 2009? It's inevitable they will get more talented WRs. They are set at TE and RB.
Could be the optimism, but this Vikings offense could be a season or two away from being really explosive.

Another season or two will also give the organization a good amount of time to evaluate Ponder's progression. If he's playing the exact same level of football after 3-4 seasons, ala TJack, yeah... time to start looking elsewhere.
From what I've seen, the kid is the real deal. His late game 'coolness' isn't something you can teach, his accuracy will get better, and he'll stop staring his receivers down so much. He'll spread the field like he did at FSU, he's just getting used to the speed of the NFL.

Don't jump off the Ponder-Train just yet.
In another year he'll be the one in all of the AllState commercials riding a Vikebike up that "RADGAAA'S!" guys ass.

Where are you going with this? Obviously i'm going to say Cutlet has won in the playoffs before.

Out of curiosity, why where you so high on the Pack last season?

I wouldn't go hoarse arguing for Cutler as a quarterback but he's much better than Smith. I just don't see Harbaugh's controlled handling of Smith lasting even the rest of this season.

Cutler is a middle of the road qb who beats up on shitty teams and folds against decent defenses just like Alex does. Maybe cutler is better overall because he has better pocket presence but he isn't much better

Striker

(They both like the Giants if anyone cares)
They will until they eventually lose again. Then it's back to the same old stories.

They were grateful winning over Washington because if they lost, it would have put them in a 0-3 hole in the division.

Slo

Vikings fans need to take some deep breaths. Enjoy the ride on the Vikebike.

I can understand some fans starting to freak out (and patience is a hard thing to deal with in a league with so much talent), but this is the kid's first full year as an NFL starter with a full off-season behind him.

Also remember: this was to be truly a developing, rebuilding year for the Vikes... one of, if not the, youngest team in the NFL. The fact they are 5-2 is pretty damn amazing to me and I'm an optimistic fan. I predicted an 8-8 season at the absolute best.

I'm not saying Ponder is going to be elite (he could if he continues to develop, or he could just be a game manager for 10+ years), but all this doom and gloom after a couple rough starts seems to be forgetting his college play.
He's a smart kid. He'll learn. We've already seen tremendous improvement from last season, IMO.

Just by breaking down some of the best QB's in football right now (partial/full rookie seasons to recent seasons):
(WARNING: STATS! BOO!)

1998 Peyton Manning: 6.5 YPA
2010 Peyton Manning: 9.17 YPA

2005, 2006 Eli Manning: 6.75, 6.22 YPA
2011, 2012 Eli Manning: 8.38, 7.96 YPA

2002, 2003 Drew Brees: 6.24, 5.92 YPA
2011, 2012 Drew Brees: 8.34, 7.68 YPA

2001 Tom Brady: 6.88 YPA
2011 Tom Brady: 8.57 YPA

2012 Christian Ponder: 6.37 YPA

In addition to that:

Christian Ponder- First 17 NFL Starts (2011-2012)
301 completions, 501 attempts (60.1 percent), 3,246 yards, 22 TD, 19 INT
Brett Favre- First 17 NFL Starts (1992-1993) 344 completions, 539 attempts (63.8 percent), 3,564 yards, 20 TD, 17 INT
Aaron Rodgers- First 17 NFL Starts (2008-2009)
358 completions, 564 attempts (63.5 percent), 4,222 yards, 29 TD, 13 INT
Peyton Manning- First 17 NFL Starts (1998-1999) 347 completions, 608 attempts (57.1 percent), 4,023 yards, 28 TD, 30 INT
Eli Manning- First 17 NFL Starts (2004-2005) 265 completions, 520 attempts (51 percent), 3,297 yards, 24 TD, 18 INT
Drew Brees-First 17 NFL Starts (2002-2003) 338 completions, 559 attempts (60.5 percent), 3,486 yards, 19 TD, 18 INT

The Vikings are improving the OLine (I don't care if you are Breesus Christ, a QB will be hard-pressed to be productive with 1.05 seconds from snap to get rid of the ball when the OLine is collapsing). I mean, do you guys even remember how shitty the offensive line for this team has been going back to the end of 2009? It's inevitable they will get more talented WRs. They are set at TE and RB.
Could be the optimism, but this Vikings offense could be a season or two away from being really explosive.

Another season or two will also give the organization a good amount of time to evaluate Ponder's progression. If he's playing the exact same level of football after 3-4 seasons, ala TJack, yeah... time to start looking elsewhere.
From what I've seen, the kid is the real deal. His late game 'coolness' isn't something you can teach, his accuracy will get better, and he'll stop staring his receivers down so much. He'll spread the field like he did at FSU, he's just getting used to the speed of the NFL.

Don't jump off the Ponder-Train just yet.
In another year he'll be the one in all of the AllState commercials riding a Vikebike up that "RADGAAA'S!" guys ass.

K.gif

A team coming off a super bowl win returning the bulk of its starters, beating the next best team in the league week one and dominating most of the rest of the year. Seems pretty logical.

So taking their past success (which is all the Super Bowl means the next season, winning the Super Bowl last year doesn't mean you have the inside track to winning the Super Bowl this year even with largely the same players) and comparing it to their current success, no? Same thing I did with the Bears.

Cutler is 1-1 in the postseason (beating one of the worst post-season teams in football history), I'd hardly call that having any real post-season success. I personally evaluate teams on a week to week basis and don't worry about things like past post season success or pretend like the opponents they have beaten/lost to don't matter. The Bears lost to the only decent team they have played. I find it difficult to have any faith in them whatsoever. The Packers and 49ers can beat anyone but also lose to anyone on any given week, for opposite reasons (defense and offense respectively). The Giants are the most complete team and they fit your criteria for "until proven otherwise" (defending champs) and a QB with playoff success (Eli-te)!

All valid points. This is a prognostication of who the best team is in week 7. I judge teams as they are in the same manner you do. Me putting the Bears at number 1 over the Falcons should say more about my lack of faith in Matt Ryan over my confidence in Jay Cutler, especially since my Falcons opinion is not uncommon.

As for the Jints I can't say I have too much belief that they're the best team. They in fact remind me of the 2011 Packers - they live and die based on their quarterback. Eli has taken their ass out of the fire more than a few times in this young season, and their most dominating win (which I admit was the most impressive 3 phases team win this season) was against Alex Smith, who I have very little regard for.

Cutler is a middle of the road qb who beats up on shitty teams and folds against decent defenses just like Alex does. Maybe cutler is better overall because he has better pocket presence but he isn't much better

No argument there.

squicken

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/79166/dropped-passes-per-target-through-week-7

This is a chart on drops per target, but it also has average target depth, which is different than air yards per attempt, as it accounts for drops. It's usually positive to have a high number, but like most football stats, needs context. SEA's offense relies so much on shot plays that the number for them will always be high. NYG also have a high aDOT, since they attack the defense vertically.

The absolutely shocking number is again The Vikings. The aDOT is 5.7 yards. That's a full 1.5 yards worse than Jacksonville, who is 31st

ari

Banned
Cutler was/is decent his whole career. The only season cutler shit the bed was his first season with the bears. Alex smith literally just got relevant in these type of talks.

I would trust cutler to throw the ball more then I would smith on a third down and 3 at the goal line also.little tangibles like that surpass cutler over smith all day.

beast786

The game was virtually a shut out. Everyone agrees with that. I do agree our offense is suspect.

Haters gonna hate.

what is wrong with bears fans here. Even ESPN cant come up with with mythical stat twist.

Your team is a FRAUD like the 5-0 Lions start. You will learn to live with it by the end of the season. Then will come the injury list excuse as if no other teams goes through them.

You are NEVER going to win with cutler. Just like Romo and Rivers.When big moment comes in Cutler will FAIL. He is talented but a head job.

You can again see his head job in action during the game last night. 16-31, 150 yds against a high-school pass defense with no names just pulled of the street two days before the game. everything was gift wrapped by the defense and ST to him.

Wait till you see what happens when you play team above 500. You will learn just like the lions did last year when they struggle against above 500.

Cutler was decent his whole career. The only season cutler shit the bed was his first season with the bears. Alex smith literally just got relevant in these type of talks.

Lol cutler has had a qb rating over 90 one time in his career. He has always been a Jeff George type qb. All the supposed talent in the world but somehow never had success. It is always someone else's fault!

Ps

Alex is 2-0 vs jpout :D

Pat Shurmur is an idiot is the answer to that.

Never-ending slants is our go to play.

Now for Eagles fans, from everything you guys have been saying what's the real deal with Banner? From what I'm understanding from you guys is he's great for establishing a proper Front Office and setting up the salary but he shouldn't stay around too long?

I love Banner. He got more involved in personel decisions as time went on and I thought that he did a good job. He was the one who traded for Peters and he also was responsible for a lot of the Draft packs the last few years. He is a super hard ass when it comes to contracts though, players cry about him all the time but the Eagles did a great job of resigning guys and bringing in players while he was here. I think he will do great for you guys.

The thing that baffles me is how people count Washington as a weak win for the Falcons. You know, the same 'Skins that just took the Giants to the edge.

Yes, we played down to the Panthers and Raiders level, it happens.

As far as postseason success, as tmdorsey said, nothing can be done about that until we get there.

beast786

Lol cutler has had a qb rating over 90 one time in his career. He has always been a Jeff George type qb. All the supposed talent in the world but somehow never had success. It is always someone else's fault!

Ps

Alex is 2-0 vs jpout :D

Problem with cutler is he is a total head job. Cutler has prime-time games where his quater back rating is in 20's. Which non of the better Qb's ever do. He folds. He is a head job. He is self destructing head job and its just a matter of time during big games. THIS IS A FACT.

This is a really nice post. Out of curiosity, do you think the Vikings will finish better than 8-8 this year, at this point?

My original prediction was 6-10.

I feel like we are better than that but I dont know if the team is mature enough to make a real run of any kind. I think they have a shot at finishing 9-7 or 10-6. That final stretch is just brutal.

My biggest take away is that the team is moving in the right direction and Spielman is able to pull off a good draft.

eznark

Banned
Problem with cutler is he is a total head job. Cutler has prime-time games where his quater back rating is in 20's. Which non of the better Qb's ever do. He folds. He is a head job. He is self destructing head job and its just a matter of time during big games. THIS IS A FACT.

That's kind of a myth. The real problem with Cutler is poor footwork, sloppy mechanics and a tendency to rush his throwing motion. These result in general inaccuracy. It's possible that these show up more in pressure situation but I've never really looked into his "clutch" numbers too closely.

Guy just isn't a real accurate passer. That's his problem.

I feel like we are better than that but I dont know if the team is mature enough to make a real run of any kind. I think they have a shot at finishing 9-7 or 10-6. That final stretch is just brutal.

If they win three games the rest of the year I will be truly stunned. Not a knock against them, I just don't see how that team wins three more games with that schedule.

If they win three games the rest of the year I will be truly stunned. Not a knock against them, I just don't see how that team wins three more games with that schedule.

No knock taken.

I'm about as realistic as Viking fans come. I'm ecstatic at the fact that our rebuilding is going quicker than expected. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

AirBrian

Good point. Cutler has never actually had a QB rating over 90.

If you're talking an entire season, then yes, that's correct. But he's had plenty of games over 100 (hell he was 140.1 versus the Cowboys two weeks ago).

The positive thing for the Bears is they don't rely on him to win games like other teams do. The Bears' D (and special teams) have gotten a team to the Super Bowl with Rex fucking Grossman as their QB. So anything Cutler can do is pure upside. I'm not giving Cutler a pass, just saying he doesn't need to be an elite QB for the Bears to have success.

If you're talking an entire season, then yes, that's correct. But he's had plenty of games over 100 (hell he was 140.1 versus the Cowboys two weeks ago).

The positive thing for the Bears is they don't rely on him to win games like other teams do. The Bears' D (and special teams) have gotten a team to the Super Bowl with Rex fucking Grossman as their QB. So anything Cutler can do is pure upside. I'm not giving Cutler a pass, just saying he doesn't need to be an elite QB for the Bears to have success.

Alex smith had a 151 rating against the bills!

ari

Banned

The positive thing for the Bears is they don't rely on him to win games like other teams do. The Bears' D (and special teams) have gotten a team to the Super Bowl with Rex fucking Grossman as their QB. So anything Cutler can do is pure upside.
Yea, thought he was eluding to a per game qbr...which is silly.

Jay cutler career : 84.1
Alex smith career: 77.9

Does it even matter?

Mrbob

Lol, such a bad comparison. Not surprised it's through your Niners goggles.

Lets look at one key difference:

Alex Smith has one of the best lines in the league. Cutler gets pounded on a weekly basis. No QB looks elite when they are getting thrown to the ground all game long.

Dammit. My two year old has a cavity and will be having it drilled tommorrow. Sounds like some real shitty process involving gas, and I'm nervous. I know that I always brush her teeth when I am with her....

Anyone have a kid get a cavity that young?

eznark

Banned
I didn't even know those tiny teeth could get cavities! I don't think my daughter has ever been to the dentist. She does love brushing though.

Curtis Painter had two games over 90.

Given the Bears string of QB's though, I understand why you're so quick to anoint a mediocre QB as your savior.

Yea, thought he was eluding to a per game qbr...which is silly.

Jay cutler career : 84.1
Alex smith career: 77.9

Does it even matter?

I said they are in the same category. Cutler isn't vastly superior to alex especially these days. Don't care what they did 4 years ago

beast786

Times have changed. NFL has changed. You need a QB to win SB now. Chicago is going to need Cutler to step up in big game. And that is not going to happen. even in blow out wins this year, he struggle big time till the defense turn the game around and then he shows up when with lead and no pressure.

his passer rating in prime-time games is 71.96.

Alex Smith has one of the best lines in the league. Cutler gets pounded on a weekly basis. No QB looks elite when they are getting thrown to the ground all game long.

Oh wah wah wah here comes the cutler excuse train as always!

eznark

Banned

Cutler: 19 sacks

Smith: 18 sacks

Top Bottom