• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 9 |OT| Gronkenstorm

It's so going to be Sean Payton. Sucks to be cajun but that's the way it is. The image of Benson as this sort of fatherly goof who Payton would fuck over is also way off. The dude was notoriously stupid, cheap and meddlesome before he lucked into Payton and Brees.

If you'll remember, Brees tried to screw every other player and wanted to walk from CBA negotiations to get himself exempted from the franchise tag. Payton got language inserted to get him an easy out on his extension, and never wanted to live there in the first place. Brees had to stay b/c of the franchise tag, Payton doesn't. Romo is a good QB that is poorly coached and Payton can win right away there.

Can't think of a better coaching situation to land into (minus the GM). I think theres a ton of talent both on offense and defense and they do have a good QB .

Payton is the type of drugged out free and easy man that will be able to opt out, leave his past behind him, get up on the dance floor and mess around with anyone.

Draxal

Was Victor Cruz faking a head injury on the bullshit hit to the head penalty or did Clark really knock the air out of him?

It would be funny if some player got taken out of game after faking a concussion by the independent doctors.

He wasn't faking, a shot to the ribs like that hurts like hell, and Clark laid the wood on him.

eznark

Banned
Can't think of a better coaching situation to land into (minus the GM). I think theres a ton of talent both on offense and defense and they do have a good QB . Payton is the type of douche that will opt out and go for it.

That "minus" is pretty massive. I'd take a job like San Diego any day. That leash!

DMczaf

hamsterHOF.gif

He has 84 Speed in Madden.

:|

bionic77

Steelers are going to win too many games. You have to 9-7 it!
Tell me about it.

It might not be our year this year. Your team is in even worse shape at 6-3.

Right now the favorites in the NFC are probably Seattle and Philly who are 5-4 and 3-4, which is where you want to be at this point in the season. I don't see any contenders in the AFC right now, but might change though if we can pull out a strong loss against KC this Monday.

Tell me about it.

Right now the favorites in the NFC are probably Seattle and Philly who are 5-4 and 3-4, which is where you want to be at this point in the season. I don't see any contenders in the AFC right now, but might change though if we can pull out a strong loss against KC this Monday.

Steelers are going to win by 40. Haley is going to pull out every trick in his book that game. I cant believe it is week 9 and 5/6 playoff spots in the NFC are already wrapped up. What a weird season this has been.

Tell me about it.

For Pitt it's all about taking advantage of key opportunities. As a fan you've got to be pretty upset with them pulling off the W against a team like the Giants. The game was there to be lost and they just couldn't capitalize.

squicken said:
Couglin and Manning Disagree on Cause of Passing Woes
Watching some of the tape of the last few games, Eli at times isn't taking what the defense is giving him. He's trying to go for the big shot a bit too often in some cases. The wide receivers aren't helping in some cases either but he just needs to settle down and shorten the field a bit. I'm all for explosive plays but on 3rd down, it's about moving the chains and the Giants offense hasn't been very good at that lately.

I won't even get into the red zone issues which are a whole other issue that relates somewhat to play calling but more so execution. All fixable at the end of the day. 6-3 right now and the division isn't very good so far from a point where any fan should be in panic mode about anything. The Eagles lose tonight and losing yesterday is fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things (AFC team, lost no ground in the division etc.). Bounce back next week against the Bengals on the road.....

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Tell me about it.

Packers are screwed. No way we don't win 11 games at this point. We own the Vikings and the Lions. The Bears and Falcons will keep winning which means we'll still be a wildcard traveling to either San Francisco or New York. I'm not excited about either prospect.

bionic77

Steelers are going to win by 40. Haley is going to pull out every trick in his book that game. I cant believe it is week 9 and 5/6 playoff spots in the NFC are already wrapped up. What a weird season this has been.
This makes me a sad panda.

Watching some of the tape of the last few games, Eli at times isn't taking what the defense is giving him. He's trying to go for the big shot a bit too often in some cases. The wide receivers aren't helping in some cases either but he just needs to settle down and shorten the field a bit. I'm all for explosive plays but on 3rd down, it's about moving the chains and the Giants offense hasn't been very good at that lately.

I won't even get into the red zone issues which are a whole other issue that relates somewhat to play calling but more so execution. All fixable at the end of the day. 6-3 right now and the division isn't very good right now. The Eagles lose tonight and losing yesterday is fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Bounce back next week against the Bengals on the road.....
He had time against the Steelers, he was just inaccurate. The only plays he made against our D were to throw it deep and hope for a PI (and he got two one of which was legit, the other was bullshit).

He is in a funk because he was on fire earlier in the year.

I don't know who calls the plays, but almost every time your team went with the short slants or dinks the receivers were athletic enough to turn it into a bigger gain. That is what the Steelers did all game against your pass rush (which we could not handle) when we were not running the ball. I thought the Giants did not run it enough against us either. But I don't know how much of that is Eli glory hunting for the big play or bad playcalling.

Honestly I hope the Eagles get rid of Vick so he ends up with the Jets. Anybody but Sanchez.

Oh they will after the season. No way can they bring him back. He is actually having a decent year all things considered but the fans are 100% against him. There are way more bench Vick calls into sports radio then fire Andy calls now.

It's so going to be Sean Payton. Sucks to be cajun but that's the way it is. The image of Benson as this sort of fatherly goof who Payton would fuck over is also way off. The dude was notoriously stupid, cheap and meddlesome before he lucked into Payton and Brees.

If you'll remember, Brees tried to screw every other player and wanted to walk from CBA negotiations to get himself exempted from the franchise tag. Payton got language inserted to get him an easy out on his extension, and never wanted to live there in the first place. Brees had to stay b/c of the franchise tag, Payton doesn't. Romo is a good QB that is poorly coached and Payton can win right away there.

wow you would fit in really well on saintsreport.com, this is just about as dumb as anything I read over there.

bionic77

Packers are screwed. No way we don't win 11 games at this point. We own the Vikings and the Lions. The Bears and Falcons will keep winning which means we'll still be a wildcard traveling to either San Francisco or New York. I'm not excited about either prospect.
Like I said it just isn't your year this year. Things looked promising at 2-2 when you were playing like garbage quite frankly lucky to bet at .500, but since then things have gone downhill in a hurry.

Man I would kill to be where Seattle or Philly is right now. Mediocre to garbage is where you want to be until early December when you win a must win game and build momentum towards the playoffs where you then win 3 on the road and get the perfect opponent in the SB.

Draxal

This makes me a sad panda.

He had time against the Steelers, he was just inaccurate. The only plays he made against our D were to throw it deep and hope for a PI (and he got two one of which was legit, the other was bullshit).

I don't know who calls the plays, but almost every time your team went with the short slants or dinks the receivers were athletic enough to turn it into a bigger gain. That is what the Steelers did all game against your pass rush (which we could not handle) when we were not running the ball. I thought the Giants did not run it enough against us either. But I don't know how much of that is Eli glory hunting for the big play or bad playcalling.

Giant's run a read and react scheme with the wrs/qb, where the qb/wr's adjust there routes after making the read on the coverage. It's worked great the last year and most of this year except for playing the Redskins last year, and them again this year (and all the games after). Washington schemed something against the Giants and the other teams copied it, and the Giant's haven't adjusted yet. I wouldn't blame the playcalling so much as the team has to make new tendencies.

He had time against the Steelers, he was just inaccurate.
I didn't say it was an issue of time and I don't believe that it is. Again, it's a matter of him trying to go for the bigger play (many times to Cruz) and sending passes down the field instead of taking the check down or the intermediate receiver. The Steelers played tight coverage but there were opportunities on several plays to move the chains in the second half (wish I could gif!!) and he kept looking downfield instead and throwing some of the inaccurate passes you mentioned.

On the subject of time though, it's funny. The Giants gave up 7 sacks all season long. The only multi-sack game was against Dallas in week 1. The Steelers game is the first game that a team has had multiple sacks against us. What's the common factor in those two games?

Yeah, I'm beating a dead horse at this point but fucking hell I need that horse to be out of a Giants uniform already.

I thought the Giants did not run it enough against us either.

I agree with both.

It's been an issue for a few weeks. The run game gets abandoned too quickly and Giants fans are quick to shit on Gilbride for that but you have to look at Eli in those situations as well. He has the authority to audible out of whatever play is called whenever he likes. It's not all on Kevin.

Like I said, Eli just has to settle down. Next week presents a good opportunity to do that on the road where the team generally plays better. I don't understand why this team plays so poorly at home.

Here's a not so fun stat: The Giants are 1-8 in Week 9 under Tom Coughlin.

Draxal

It's been an issue for a few weeks. The run game gets abandoned too quickly and Giants fans are quick to shit on Gilbride for that but you have to look at Eli in those situations as well. He has the authority to audible out of whatever play is called whenever he likes. It's not all on Kevin.

I think they need to make Brown the starter (and we actually have evidence of his play this year unlike Herzlich who I was totally on). I just don't think Bradshaw with his hurt feet is helping the team right now.

squicken

Tell me about it.

COLTS

4-3. Easy Schedule. Coach has cancer players all believe. Goober QB. Doesn't own a smartphone and may be a virgin. Loves soccer

TheLegendary said:
Isn't that Gilbride?
It's hard to put the blame entirely on him because of what I mentioned. Gilbride is certainly pass happy, but Eli can and DOES change the play at the line.

Remember that pass play on a 3rd and short a few weeks back that all of us were yelling about when we should have been killing clock? That was Eli, not Gilbride. He didn't like what he saw on the defensive side and thought the back shoulder would be there with Hakeem so he checked out of the run. He admitted as much to the media after the game.

COLTS

4-3. Easy Schedule. Coach has cancer players all believe. Goober QB. Doesn't own a smartphone and may be a virgin. Loves soccer

Man if the Colts had a D they could really scare someone in the playoffs. I havent heard Luck mentioned for MVP but he has to be in the running if they make the playoffs right? That team was terrible last year, and dumped a bunch of guys in the off season.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Speaking of playoffs, I really want the Packers to win the Super Bowl but if I had to be team agnostic, I'd say at this point it's probably going to be Niners-Texans with the Texans winning.

Draxal

Isn't that Gilbride?

Yes and no, Eli has alot of control of this offense, but like all QB's he has to do his read progression so if he's not seeing his tertiary receiver in time that's wide open it's also not really on him as well. He has to freedom to audible into and out of running plays all the time, (I'm confident he audbiles into all those shotgun draws the Giant's run).

I don't agree with some of the personnel decisions which is a bigger issue than playcalling recently (DIEHL, Bradshaw, and Randle's been reallllllllly bad the last couple of weeks).

squicken

Bruce Arians is still the head coach and Luck is still a rookie. I don't think you can win a SB with either.

There's this video of him that I cannot find jumping and dancing around at a Dynamo game and looking so much worse than Brady at Carnival that anyone seeing it would know there were 5 SBs in his future. The best I could find is sadly a Bulls on Parade video

wattg6e4w.gif

Bruce Arians is still the head coach and Luck is still a rookie. I don't think you can win a SB with either.
Granted, Dolphins secondary, but Luck did not look like a rookie yesterday. Six third down conversions of 10+ yards plus completion after completion while either under pressure or on the run is something most veteran QBs wish they could pull off.

I'm not saying the Colts will go to the SB this year but I don't see Luck being the piece of the puzzle that prevents them from having a shot.

Top Bottom