• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card Playoffs |OT| - It's Time for a SWITCH™

I read somewhere that the person who threw him out has hated him since before she got her job with the eagles.

Either way, who really cares about this story other than the media guys?

And lol at McLane wanting Howie fired after he pulled off one of the best offseasons in football last year. We potentially have a franchise QB and the only pick we're missing is a 2nd rounder next season.

Eagles had another terrible offseason last year, just like all the others since they got stuck with howie. The jury is definitely out still on Wentz, and all the other moves amounted to nothing. Eagles spent more money last year then any other team and yet they couldnt even win one more game then the year before. They have holes all over the roster and a gm that hasnt been able to build a winner in ten years. As long as Lurie is the owner I feel the Eagles will never win anything. Lurie is so determined to be right about howie that he keeps him even when all the evidence points to him being terrible at his job and a huge negative influence on the franchise.

Hunter S.

All the people deserve to know glory and the unbridled euphoria that the Super Bowl win brings.

Bill Bellichick is like a sorcerer/Trumper trying to suck up all the world's happiness into a cauldron of selfishness and money. Bill wishes he could sell happiness back to you at a super high profit.

I hope they aren't serious about playing Tannehill this week...just sit him out the rest of the year, we aren't winning shit with this defense.
I think your point is valid but at the same time playoff berths are so rare I feel like you have to seize the opportunity and do whatever you can to win. If there is no serious risk for Tannehill in terms of aggravating the injury and making it worse I say play him.

We've waited a long time to get here, I don't want to see it wasted on Matt Moore unless that's the only option.

Pepiope

Eagles had another terrible offseason last year, just like all the others since they got stuck with howie. The jury is definitely out still on Wentz, and all the other moves amounted to nothing. Eagles spent more money last year then any other team and yet they couldnt even win one more game then the year before. They have holes all over the roster and a gm that hasnt been able to build a winner in ten years. As long as Lurie is the owner I feel the Eagles will never win anything. Lurie is so determined to be right about howie that he keeps him even when all the evidence points to him being terrible at his job and a huge negative influence on the franchise.
We have holes at the positions that Chip ignored, cut, and traded during his tenure here. Howie drafted promising linemen, got us a franchise QB, and this offseason will try replacing all of the offensive talent Chip didn't want. This is the first time he's in charge, and he's doing great.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why do we not have a decent video game version of frisbee golf yet?

FAX8qyw.gif

Bread

Banned
All the people deserve to know glory and the unbridled euphoria that the Super Bowl win brings.

Bill Bellichick is like a sorcerer/Trumper trying to suck up all the world's happiness into a cauldron of selfishness and money. Bill wishes he could sell happiness back to you at a super high profit.
You're a weird boy

We have holes at the positions that Chip ignored, cut, and traded during his tenure here. Howie drafted promising linemen, got us a franchise QB, and this offseason will try replacing all of the offensive talent Chip didn't want. This is the first time he's in charge, and he's doing great.

Yeah Eagles would be in a much better position if they were paying over $30m a year to Djax, Maclin, and Shady. Big V played in what 2 games, and was terrible in one. What a great pick by howie. It is also comical to hear you say this is the first time he is in charge, when Reid himself has said he wanted to draft wuss but Howie said no. Howie also wouldnt let Chip draft Carr and instead took Marcus Smith instead, yay howie. The one constant with the Eagles being terrible these last 10 years is that fucking garbage howie being involved with the team. Soon he will be gone and you wont have to try and stick up for him anymore.

effzee

Ok you are allowed to have you delusions about how great Howie is doing and or how he has solved all the holes the Eagles have, but this isn't the first time he is in charge. In fact Chip's first 2 seasons he was the GM. He was also the GM near the end of Reid's tenure.

You may like him or think he is making the right moves, but he has been in control or has had a say/hand in all major decisions save for last season when Chip was made czar. He doesn't escape responsibility.

I think your point is valid but at the same time playoff berths are so rare I feel like you have to seize the opportunity and do whatever you can to win. If there is no serious risk for Tannehill in terms of aggravating the injury and making it worse I say play him.

We've waited a long time to get here, I don't want to see it wasted on Matt Moore unless that's the only option.

I mean it would be nice to have him play...but I'm so terrified he's going to get RGIII'd and at this point he would miss most of next season too.

If we beat Pitts we go to NE, I don't see how we win that game with this defense.

But you are right, anything can happen you just need to get in and have a chance, so I don't know. Maybe see how this week goes and if we advance then play him?

In any case it's exciting talking about a playoff game, it's been so long!

Pepiope

Yeah Eagles would be in a much better position if they were paying over $30m a year to Djax, Maclin, and Shady. Big V played in what 2 games, and was terrible in one. What a great pick by howie. It is also comical to hear you say this is the first time he is in charge, when Reid himself has said he wanted to draft wuss but Howie said no. Howie also wouldnt let Chip draft Carr and instead took Marcus Smith instead, yay howie. The one constant with the Eagles being terrible these last 10 years is that fucking garbage howie being involved with the team. Soon he will be gone and you wont have to try and stick up for him anymore.
Are we pretending that Reid wasn't in charge here or that as soon as chip got here we no longer drafted or signed any player with character concerns because chip didn't like egos? Howie wanted to get rid of Jackson so badly that he's probably bringing him back, ya Howie ran the show here...sure.

effzee

Eagles have some interesting locker room vs business decisions to make this offseason with Peters, Sproles, and Barwin. Both Peters and Sproles have 1 year left before retirement, Barwin a few more. However, even if he doesn't have the same step, Peters is still a Top 10 LT in the league, and Sproles is our entire offense, both are also huge locker room leaders. Barwin is more of a liability in this defensive scheme, but he's a huge fan of Philly and an important part of not only the locker room, but the community. He's even said he'll take a paycut to stay. The business decision would be to cut all 3, especially Peters and Sproles since the Eagles won't be competing for a SB next year. But at the least Sproles and Peters are worth keeping due to their level, although Peters could use a paycut. Barwin is less easy to justify, unfortunately unless he takes a drastically reduced deal he'll be gone. Which he should be, I think he's a pretty decent 3-4 OLB and could get a decent multi-year deal to end his career.

Peters is #10 salary wise of the top 10 paid LTs. Hei s a top 10 LT. His money is fine.

He can play at a high level, is paid right around where he should be, but the issue is his health. If the Eagles can squeeze another year out of both him and Sproles they would have 2 bookend tackles, a top G, decent C, and some promise at G in the guys they brought in and drafted.

With Sproles, regardless of what they do with RB in FA or the draft they would at least have a reliable weapon.

Barwin I would hate to see go but he doesn't fit where as Peters and Sproles do.

Are we pretending that Reid wasn't in charge here or that as soon as chip got here we no longer drafted or signed any player with character concerns because chip didn't like egos? Howie wanted to get rid of Jackson so badly that he's probably bringing him back, ya Howie ran the show here...sure.

If Reid was in charge every year then why id he say that he wanted wuss but Howie said no so they didnt take him? Why would Andy lie about that?

effzee

So all bad moves during Reid were all Reid.

All bad moves during Chip were all Chip. Then when he became GM it was all him again.

Poor Howie never given a chance with all these mean coaches always making the decisions.

An Eagles beat writer who has been critical of Howie Roseman, and just recently wrote an article stating that the Eagles should fire Howie, was ejected from the game on sunday for being to loud in the press box:

Ejected.JPG.d32b4b7a2df19ded75bbf36bf5812912.JPG

Les Bowen, another writer who covers the team had this to say about it:

This is the most vengeful, petty Eagles regime I've dealt with since I started covering the team in 2002. #Ejectthat

— Les Bowen (@LesBowen) January 1, 2017

Man things are going to be ugly next year between the team and the media.

Eagles PR is terrible. From Dave Spadaro to now this. Jeff is a great follow on twitter and usually very spot on with his sources.

He called out Howie at the presser when they introduced Doug and basically asked Lurie is Howie will be held accountable. No wonder the Eagles have it out for him ever since then.

Pepiope

Ok you are allowed to have you delusions about how great Howie is doing and or how he has solved all the holes the Eagles have, but this isn't the first time he is in charge. In fact Chip's first 2 seasons he was the GM. He was also the GM near the end of Reid's tenure.

You may like him or think he is making the right moves, but he has been in control or has had a say/hand in all major decisions save for last season when Chip was made czar. He doesn't escape responsibility.
I'm talking about complete control. Reid and Chip both were big parts in the decision making, and Pederson doesn't have nearly as much say as they did. This is the first time that Howie is completely responsible, all future success or failure is his doing.

Hindl

Yeah Eagles would be in a much better position if they were paying over $30m a year to Djax, Maclin, and Shady.

DJax probably not, but Maclin would've stayed if Chip picked up the phone:
As Reid, quarterbacks Alex Smith and Chase Daniel and receivers coach David Culley were calling Maclin that day, "making him feel like he's the greatest thing on Earth," Parres said, Maclin could "barely get (Eagles coach and de facto general manager) Chip Kelly to answer the phone."

"He called Chip Kelly five times Saturday: ‘Chip, can you just show me anything?' " Parres recalled.
That Sunday, the Eagles [gave] same deal Maclin was offered with the Chiefs that Maclin was ready to stay.

Then Reid called again.
And 10 minutes later Maclin was Kansas City-bound.

"It wasn't the money; it was that 10 minutes," Parres said. "Jeremy said, ‘(The Chiefs) just wanted me more, and I think that's where I should be.' "

And we could've kept Shady instead of getting Murray and Mathews.

Big V played in what 2 games, and was terrible in one. What a great pick by howie.
He actually played in 6 games and was solid in all but the first, but I'm not sure you actually watch the games.

It is also comical to hear you say this is the first time he is in charge, when Reid himself has said he wanted to draft wuss but Howie said no.
Citation needed. Andy wanted Russell in the 3rd, there was no indication he was planning on taking him before then.
Howie also wouldnt let Chip draft Carr and instead took Marcus Smith instead, yay howie.
Again, citation needed. I've never heard of Kelly wanting Carr, and I can't find any searches, especially since that was the season Foles was coming off of 27-2. But provide a link and I'll take it back. Howie was responsible for Smith, but there's no indication Chip wanted Carr.

The one constant with the Eagles being terrible these last 10 years is that fucking garbage howie being involved with the team. Soon he will be gone and you wont have to try and stick up for him anymore.

I'll critique Howie for 2012-2014 and 2016. Anything else and you can't clearly label blame, especially since he had only been GM since 2010 and Reid demanded full control from 2011-2012. And 2012 was fantastic, 2013 was solid, 2014 was poor, and jury is out on 2016 but at least gave us 5-6 players that will be on the roster as at least depth.

Peters is #10 salary wise of the top 10 paid LTs. Hei s a top 10 LT. His money is fine.

He can play at a high level, is paid right around where he should be, but the issue is his health. If the Eagles can squeeze another year out of both him and Sproles they would have 2 bookend tackles, a top G, decent C, and some promise at G in the guys they brought in and drafted.

With Sproles, regardless of what they do with RB in FA or the draft they would at least have a reliable weapon.

Barwin I would hate to see go but he doesn't fit where as Peters and Sproles do.

I totally agree on Peters, I just want to lower his cap hit, and the business decision would be outright cut since they wouldn't be competing next year anyway. But I'd keep Peters but try to reduce his hit to $5-6M fully guaranteed, and keep Sproles and draft an RB while cutting Barwin.

Is there any chance Leonard Fournette falls to 14?

Possibly but solely dependent on how high Cook rises. If Eagles get ahead of the Colts, I only see the Jets, Panthers, and possibly Jags picking a RB, but he could fall. Fournette would be amazing though.

Pepiope

So all bad moves during Reid were all Reid.

All bad moves during Chip were all Chip. Then when he became GM it was all him again.

Poor Howie never given a chance with all these mean coaches always making the decisions.
Are you putting the Jackson release on Howie? Did Chip not get rid of Jackson, McCoy, and Maclin without any plan for a replacement? Did we not have to reach on Algholor because Chip wouldn't return Maclin's phonecall?

I'm talking about complete control. Reid and Chip both were big parts in the decision making, and Pederson doesn't have nearly as much say as they did. This is the first time that Howie is completely responsible, all future success or failure is his doing.

Then he should be held accountable for last years disaster of an offseason. Eagles spent the most money out of any team and yet they got nothing for that money. The Giants spent the second most and they went from the worst defense in football to one of the best, they also made the playoffs. This is the second time Howie has gone on one of these offseason spending sprees and both times the Eagles missed the playoffs the following year. Lurie needs to clean house and bring in some competent people while they still have Wentz on a rookie deal. Building the team is going to get exponentially harder in a few years.

Pepiope

Then he should be held accountable for last years disaster of an offseason. Eagles spent the most money out of any team and yet they got nothing for that money. The Giants spent the second most and they went from the worst defense in football to one of the best, they also made the playoffs. This is the second time Howie has gone on one of these offseason spending sprees and both times the Eagles missed the playoffs the following year. Lurie needs to clean house and bring in some competent people while they still have Wentz on a rookie deal. Building the team is going to get exponentially harder in a few years.
Last year's disaster of an offseason? LOL

I don't even think we can have an actual conversation about Howie if you are seriously going to consider this past offseason a disaster.

Hindl

He brought in three major FAs. McLeod, Bradham, and Brooks. Brooks is the 4th ranked Guard, Bradham is the 11th ranked LB, and McLeod has been a very solid Safety. Combine that with what is looking like a successful draft and it was a good offseason

He brought in three major FAs. McLeod, Bradham, and Brooks. Brooks is the 4th ranked Guard, Bradham is the 11th ranked LB, and McLeod has been a very solid Safety. Combine that with what is looking like a successful draft and it was a good offseason

You should know better than to engage yankee on this topic.

Pepiope

And he got a top 15 pick for Bradford, everyone was laughing at me for saying we would get higher than a 2nd.

Last offseason was great. His one mistake looks like Curry, hopefully next season he'll be better.

Hindl

You should know better than to engage yankee on this topic.

I know but I can't help it.

And he got a top 15 pick for Bradford, everyone was laughing at me for saying we would get higher than a 2nd.

Last offseason was great. His one mistake looks like Curry, hopefully next season he'll be better.

Yeah, the Bradford deal was revelation, and Curry is a disappointment but hopefully if they jettison Barwin and we get some CBs that can actually cover he'll improve. Ertz is like half of a disappointment since he's a good TE but not the top tier one that he's paid like. But he really turns it up at the end of the season, which if we ever makes the playoffs means he could be riding hot. But given the TE situation around the league, I'll take Ertz being solid if overpaid. Also it was noted that in the past 3 years, where he starts slow but breaks out in December, he's had a different QB and OC every year. So maybe some continuity will help him become a bit more consistent. Cuz even if you took his current production and just spread it out that would help a lot.

Top Bottom