• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card Playoffs |OT| - It's Time for a SWITCH™

C1RKL14UQAEJMmx.jpg

LMAO

effzee

Are you putting the Jackson release on Howie? Did Chip not get rid of Jackson, McCoy, and Maclin without any plan for a replacement? Did we not have to reach on Algholor because Chip wouldn't return Maclin's phonecall?

I don't know who was behind each and every move.

I do know Howie didn't get along with Banner, Reid, and then Chip. I do know he has influence and the ear of Lurie and has had it for almost a decade now. This naive view of him as some abused poor old personnel guy who was never given a chance until this off -season is a moronic and only works with people who think Lurie and the FO never make a mistake.

Howie is usually blamed for the spending spree in 2011 during the Dream Team fiasco. He also took responsibility for the Marcus Smith pick.

Chip might have pushed DeSean out the door, but Howie was still the GM. He was the GM who brought shit CBs like Fletcher and Williams. If he wasn't behind some or all the moves, why did Chip need to wrestle control from him? If he was just giving into what Chip was asking, why was there animosity?

Chip is a stubborn SOB but so is Howie. It's not a coincidence that many insiders and reporters pointed out coaching candidates were worried about having to work with or for Howie because they know his past with coaches and other execs and how much Lurie loves him.

If Chip is to be fired after 1 season as a GM for his bad moves, where is the accountability for Howie who has been in some shape or form a decision maker in the FO for 10 years and has only risen to the top more and more?

BTW Chip's plan to replace DeSean was Maclin and Mathews which looked like a great combo in the only year they played together.

Eagles offered great money to Maclin, but he took a little more to play for Reid and his home-town team. Agholor was not a reach and most everyone had a 1st round grade on him. His issues are mental, not talent. A reach is Marcus Smith who no one had going in the first. But ok if Agholor was a terrible pick by Chip, how are his other picks? How is Jordan Hicks doing?

McCoy's replacement plan was to have Demarco Murray, Kiko, and Ryan Mathews for the $$$ they were paying McCoy. It all blew up and didn't work but in theory I'd take a young possible stud LB over a RB nearing 30 any day.

you hate all games, but like Mass Effect

you're a strange one, Deacon!

Mass Effect trilogy is GOAT.

My brother bought a Gear VR to check out whether this virtual reality nonsense is actually enjoyable or not. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes turned out to be a pretty great party game.

I actually feel okay about the corners. Young group but they are trending in the right direction. Phillips seems okay at DT also.

I miss Reshad. :(

There are some pieces but like you said they are young, so especially late in the season, we are going to get a lot of mistakes. If they develop this talent properly though we should have a good defense in another year or two (probably two)

But right now we have role players that are starting, I get the whole next man up mentality and players have stepped up but after a certain point you just can't handle anymore injuries and we are at that point.

Doubling down on the crazy,

you hate all games, but like Mass Effect

you're a strange one, Deacon!

The original Mass Effect is fantastic though (especially the PC version which added back the pause/issue command group control functions). It had that typical Bioware structure that they'd been peddling for some time but fuck if it wasn't a blast to play/explore. Setup a damned good story, too.

I hated the stripped down second game. Third one recovered nicely from a gameplay perspective (mostly) but dropped the ball HARD on the story.

Pepiope

I don't know who was behind each and every move.

I do know Howie didn't get along with Banner, Reid, and then Chip. I do know he has influence and the ear of Lurie and has had it for almost a decade now. This naive view of him as some abused poor old personnel guy who was never given a chance until this off -season is a moronic and only works with people who think Lurie and the FO never make a mistake.

Howie is usually blamed for the spending spree in 2011 during the Dream Team fiasco. He also took responsibility for the Marcus Smith pick.

Chip might have pushed DeSean out the door, but Howie was still the GM. He was the GM who brought shit CBs like Fletcher and Williams. If he wasn't behind some or all the moves, why did Chip need to wrestle control from him? If he was just giving into what Chip was asking, why was there animosity?

Chip is a stubborn SOB but so is Howie. It's not a coincidence that many insiders and reporters pointed out coaching candidates were worried about having to work with or for Howie because they know his past with coaches and other execs and how much Lurie loves him.

If Chip is to be fired after 1 season as a GM for his bad moves, where is the accountability for Howie who has been in some shape or form a decision maker in the FO for 10 years and has only risen to the top more and more?

BTW Chip's plan to replace DeSean was Maclin and Mathews which looked like a great combo in the only year they played together.

Eagles offered great money to Maclin, but he took a little more to play for Reid and his home-town team. Agholor was not a reach and most everyone had a 1st round grade on him. His issues are mental, not talent. A reach is Marcus Smith who no one had going in the first. But ok if Agholor was a terrible pick by Chip, how are his other picks? How is Jordan Hicks doing?

McCoy's replacement plan was to have Demarco Murray, Kiko, and Ryan Mathews for the $$$ they were paying McCoy. It all blew up and didn't work but in theory I'd take a young possible stud LB over a RB nearing 30 any day.
All those insiders were worried about candidates not wanting to work with Howie, but Chip was the hottest name at the time and he signed here, and Doug seems to be the guy who Lurie wanted.

The issue with Chip is that none of his plans worked out. He flopped on replacing every single talented player he got rid of and the team regressed every year he was here. I'm all on board with getting rid of Howie if this doesn't work out with Pederson, but that isn't the case right now. The entire draft class looks promising...every single pick looks good, and he did a great job bringing in FAs that work within the system. Our Oline may actually be okay next season if Lane doesn't take anymore PEDs.

We seem to be back on the right track now that Chip is gone, so I really cant fault Howie for the past 3 years based on how much of a difference the past year has been.

Jags haven't made a first round pick outside of the top 10 since 2007

Gata hasn't seen legitimate success in his life, no wonder he bandwagoned the Pats :[

DJax probably not, but Maclin would've stayed if Chip picked up the phone:

And we could've kept Shady instead of getting Murray and Mathews.

He actually played in 6 games and was solid in all but the first, but I'm not sure you actually watch the games.

Citation needed. Andy wanted Russell in the 3rd, there was no indication he was planning on taking him before then.

Again, citation needed. I've never heard of Kelly wanting Carr, and I can't find any searches, especially since that was the season Foles was coming off of 27-2. But provide a link and I'll take it back. Howie was responsible for Smith, but there's no indication Chip wanted Carr.

I'll critique Howie for 2012-2014 and 2016. Anything else and you can't clearly label blame, especially since he had only been GM since 2010 and Reid demanded full control from 2011-2012. And 2012 was fantastic, 2013 was solid, 2014 was poor, and jury is out on 2016 but at least gave us 5-6 players that will be on the roster as at least depth.

I totally agree on Peters, I just want to lower his cap hit, and the business decision would be outright cut since they wouldn't be competing next year anyway. But I'd keep Peters but try to reduce his hit to $5-6M fully guaranteed, and keep Sproles and draft an RB while cutting Barwin.

Possibly but solely dependent on how high Cook rises. If Eagles get ahead of the Colts, I only see the Jets, Panthers, and possibly Jags picking a RB, but he could fall. Fournette would be amazing though.

The Kelley wanting Carr thing came from the no huddle show a few weeks ago, that is Mark Ekels podcast. He said that he has heard from people in the room that Chip was banging on the table telling howie to draft Carr and that their split came from that. I have also heard the Reid wanting wuss with one of the 2nd round picks numerous times on different podcasts but I cant find a direct source so I will concede that one. Sucks that the Eagles 2 seconds that year where Kendricks, and Curry who are both busts.

Greg gets ready to attend a Packers game wearing his Sunday best:
I think anime fan Greg needs to be the focus of the next OT, or possibly the entire offseason thread. He deserves more recognition and support for who he truly is. We here at NFL-GAF are an inclusive bunch and we need to do a better job of showing it.

49ers interviewing ESPN analyst Louis Riddick for GM next week

I was wondering why he's been saying on air that the 49er job would be the most desirable destination for coaches and GM's. :jnc

Then he should be held accountable for last years disaster of an offseason. Eagles spent the most money out of any team and yet they got nothing for that money. The Giants spent the second most and they went from the worst defense in football to one of the best, they also made the playoffs. This is the second time Howie has gone on one of these offseason spending sprees and both times the Eagles missed the playoffs the following year. Lurie needs to clean house and bring in some competent people while they still have Wentz on a rookie deal. Building the team is going to get exponentially harder in a few years.

If you think the 2016 free agency was a disaster I question if you even watch games. First we'll look at acquisitions:

Brandon Brooks was the highest rated member of the offensive line by PFF. Just a tiny smidge higher than Peters and Johnson. He posted an 87.5, Johnson and 87.3, and Peters an 87.4. The only possible knock on Brooks is his mental health issues. Stefen Wizniewski was a more than capable backup who saw a lot of play time due to the injuries across the line, and the line would have been a complete mess if he hadn't been available.

Nigel Bradham was a close second to Jordan Hicks as a LB. Jordan Hicks is an amazing linebacker and obviously a great draft by Chip. Nigel Bradham racked up an 86.3 PFF rating and played 97% of all defensive snaps all season. He's very clearly a great addition to the LB corps that desperately needed help as Hicks was the only real quality player at that position, especially since Michael Kendricks isn't ideal for the scheme. Backup free agent signing LB Stephen Tulloch barely played due to Hicks, Bradham, and Kendricks being healthy all season.

Rodney McLeod played nearly as well as Malcolm Jenkins. He posted an 80.2 PFF rating compared to Jenkins 80.7. He played 99% of all snaps. He also played 20% of ST snaps. McLeod matched Jenkins on the year with 3 Ints and 1 FF, and posted more combined tackles than Jenkins with 83. He lead the team DBs in solo tackles, and was 9th among all DBs in solo tackles. He's a solid safety and for the first time in years the team has a tandem of quality safeties, and it's now probably the strongest position grouping on the entire defense.

Leodis McKelvin was the best corner on the team in a year where not many great corners were available, certainly not for a reasonable price. He was responsible for 18 passes defended which is among the leaders in the NFL, and played in 13 games. He also notched 2 Ints on the season. He was signed for 2 years, $6.2m. Contrast this to say Sean Smith who sign with the Raiders for 4 years and $40m, who had only 11 passes defended all season in 15 games. McKelvin will likely be a starting CB next season. Obviously stats don't really cover the impact of all a CB does, as there's a lot more to coverage than passes defended and tackles, but on the measurable stats he played well, by far the best on the team. Given his low cap hit compared to his production this is a genius tier signing by Howie.

I'm not going to go into Chase Daniel much. He's a backup QB and tutoring Wentz and he's getting paid an awful lot and it's hard to stomach but that's the nature of the QB market right now.

The one wiff you can put on Howie in the free agency acquisitions this offseason is the signing of Ron Brooks, who played somewhat below average and was injured all season. You could also say paying Chris Givens $840k to be a camp body was a bad idea too, but that's is pocket change.

I was going to write up another post for contract extensions and re-signings, but frankly I'm not willing to spend the time doing the homework at this point. You could say the Vinny Curry contract was a big mistake, but the way the contract is structured it has a very minimal cap hit. The Fletcher Cox contract is what it is. He's obviously a very valuable player and is getting paid like it. They extended Nolan Carrol for a 1 year prove it contract for not a whole lot of money and he looked like a chump this season. They extended a whole bunch of great ST players deservedly so.

Anyway, the point is, Howie actually did a pretty damn good job in free agency this offseason. You'd have to be blind to think he did a poor job in the draft given that Wentz, Seumalo, Smallwood, Vaitai, and Mills were all regular appearances in games despite being rookies, and all of them showed promise. Mills was probably the worst of that bunch, but he's a 7th round pick in one of the hardest positions to learn at an NFL level, so I'm even willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think you have had many valid complaints about Howie in the past. He's had some shitty draft picks, like Marcus Smith. He's also had some great ones. Bottom line is that the organization actually had a fantastic offseason in 2016 and ignoring that fact is making your overall argument about how bad Howie Roseman or the Eagles ownership is fall flat. 2016 is not the year to use to prove your point here.

Top Bottom