• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card Playoffs |OT| - It's Time for a SWITCH™

Bread

Banned
I think anime fan Greg needs to be the focus of the next OT, or possibly the entire offseason thread. He deserves more recognition and support for who he truly is. We here at NFL-GAF are an inclusive bunch and we need to do a better job of showing it.
2017: The Year Of Anime Greg

effzee

All those insiders were worried about candidates not wanting to work with Howie, but Chip was the hottest name at the time and he signed here, and Doug seems to be the guy who Lurie wanted.

Chip backed out first and then decided to take the plunge. He also consulted heavily with Reid and was sold on working for owner Lurie.

The issue with Chip is that none of his plans worked out. He flopped on replacing every single talented player he got rid of and the team regressed every year he was here. I'm all on board with getting rid of Howie if this doesn't work out with Pederson, but that isn't the case right now. The entire draft class looks promising...every single pick looks good, and he did a great job bringing in FAs that work within the system. Our Oline may actually be okay next season if Lane doesn't take anymore PEDs.

So since Chip is responsible for all the moves that took place in the 3 years he was here, is he also to be thanked for recognizing Foles sucks and the Eagles shouldn't pay boatloads of money for him? For drafting Lane Johnson, Ertz, Hicks, Jordan Mathews, bringing in Sproles? For going after Malcom Jenkins?

See you can't have it both ways. Some moves work and some don't. If you play the game that he was fired because all the moves he made failed, then you really are focusing on one off season of moves where he had full control. All the other transactions you and I can go back and forth on how was really behind or in charge. And if you want to blame Chip for moves during seasons 1 and 2, then he should also get all the credit for getting the most out of washed up or average QBs like Vick, Foles, Sanchez, and Bradford. For all the players I listed above which were brought in during his time.

We seem to be back on the right track now that Chip is gone, so I really can't fault Howie for the past 3 years based on how much of a difference the past year has been.

Let's see what happens if they do actually improve, Pederson wants more of a say or control, and how Howie reacts.

Lurie wanting Pederson is complete fucking bull shit. No one wanted Pederson. Not one team was interested or interviewed him. He was the perfect pick for Howie cause he won't fight back and for Lurie cause he is a Reid clone and will attend his xmas parties.

None of the other highly sought after candidates wanted to come here esp after what they saw happened between Chip and Howie.

RBH

Me when BG tries to give me his mixtape:

wxa3Fat.jpg

Mortemis

Banned
Budda Baker, Elijah Qualls, John Ross and Sidney Jones all declare for NFL draft per UW

-@Softykjr

Anyone need a S/DT/WR/CB?

My boys are gonna eat in the NFL. Hope we can get Buddha, could be a great nickel and backup safety.

But Ben can throw the ball more then 5 yards down the field.

I remember during the hawks game when Wentz was about to get sacked and couldn't step up and yet slung the ball really deep. It got intercepted (for being too deep) but I saw a guy that's got an arm.

Pepiope

Apparently what will happen is that Doug will make the board and Howie will make the picks. It seems like the relationship between Howie and Doug is fine, and the only relationship that was soured was the one with Chip, who just so happened to get into it with his GM in SF and has already been fired.

So let's see how it plays out. Either way, this is Howie's shot. He'll sink or swim.

Chain Gailey retires and five other Jets assistants fired:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/03/gailey-retires-five-jets-assistants-fired/

So, head coach Todd Bowles remains on the job for a third season but will have a very different staff.

Relieved of their duties were quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, running backs coach Marcel Shipp, defensive line coach Pepper Johnson, outside linebackers coach Mark Collins and defensive backs coach Joe Danna.

Defensive Coordinator Kacy Rodgers will return, but Bowles will now publicly pursue a new offensive coordinator. The team's release said Gailey informed Bowles before the recently completed season that he planned to retire.

”I thought it was best to tell him early, so that he could begin to think about how he would move the team forward on offense," Gailey said in the team's statement.

So yeah SI confirmed the obvious

Ryan was fired last Tuesday during a private conversation with Terry Pegula. The topic that brought the dismissal to a head: the team's decision not to play quarterback Tyrod Taylor in Week 17.

According to multiple people with knowledge of the conversation, Ryan, Pegula and Whaley had had their standard weekly conversation last Tuesday. That's when Ryan learned of the organization's decision to bench Taylor, the starting quarterback the past two seasons. The Bills were already eliminated from playoff contention, and there would have been a financial risk to playing Taylor. His $27.5 million salary for 2017 is guaranteed for injury only, so if he suffered a significant one in the season finale, the Bills would have been on the hook for money they may not want to pay. They also wanted to see the other quarterbacks on the roster, EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones, get some game action.

Both were obvious signs that the Bills were not committed to Taylor—or to Ryan, who had handpicked Taylor to be his quarterback. So Ryan, who for a few weeks had been hearing reports of his impending firing, asked to speak to Pegula one-on-one. Ryan had made a promise to Taylor, telling him that he'd be the Bills starting quarterback as long as Ryan was the coach. Ryan didn't want to break his word, and he was worried how the team would respond. If you are already planning on firing me next Monday, Ryan told Pegula, then you might as well fire me now.

It seems highly unlikely that Taylor will play in Buffalo next season, unless interim head coach Anthony Lynn, who has expressed a desire to continue to work with Taylor, is hired on a permanent basis.

Farooq

Banned
Looks like Mo will play in the divisional, I hope he can stay healthy through the playoffs and Collins is coming back from IR to be Leary's backup good stuff. Also cowboys finished 13th in sacks for the regular season great job by Marinelli and his orphans.

Deepest offense in the playoffs.

Hindl

However you want to break down 2013-2014, they get full credit. So if Howie gets blame for Marcus Smith, he also gets credit for Jenkins and Sproles. If Chip gets blame for Jackson and Maclin, he gets credit for Matthews and Lane. Ultimately 2013-2014 is a mixed bag, where the personnel and draft decisions ranged from fantastic to awful, though it put the team in a position where they needed to rebuild. Howie and Chip both deserve credit and blame, laying all of it and the feet of either isn't right. But I'm not sure it was enough for either Howie or Chip to be fired.

Chip was fired because the team didn't want to play for him anymore. People can make jokes about the Christmas party but that's making light of the real point. In 2014 and 2015 December, the team flat-out quit on him. 2014 they were sitting 9-3 and collapsed, and 2015 they stepped up against the Pats and BIlls, but then had two crucial games against the Cards and Washington and showed no fight. There was open mutiny with some of the players, and if the players don't want to play for the coach, it doesn't matter how smart they are. That coach has to go.

Compare that to this season, which finished with the same record. The difference is that the players loved playing for Doug, and finished the season hard. The Washington and Baltimore games were hard-fought slugfests that went the wrong way, and they came out and smothered a Giants team with everything to play for and beat a Cowboys team that, to be far, had nothing to play for. But here are the comments after the season:

"I like everything he's done," defensive tackle Fletcher Cox said. "He never overreacts to a lot of stuff, which is good. He's handled a lot of stuff. I think everybody on this team, every player's got his back, in every situation . . . Everybody loves him."

Tight end Zach Ertz called Pederson "a beast of a coach."

"He's earned the respect of everybody on this team," middle linebacker Jordan Hicks said. "I didn't know him at first, just like everybody else, but once you got to know him, once you understood who he was and his personality, and his story, you understand that he's a coach that really has the players' best interests at heart. Really, this team's best interests at heart.

"Doug is consistent in who he is as a person, who he is as a coach. No matter what - offense, defense, no matter who he's talking to, no matter if it's a win or a loss - he's always the same person. He comes in with the mindset, 'It's not about anyone else, it's about us.' That's something you can rally around. He comes in with a smile on his face every day and rallies his troops. We play hard for him, and I think it shows."

Systems and tactics are seldom what bonds players and coaches.

"To me, it's about your relationship with your guys, can you get your guys to play hard for you?" Hicks said. "If you're (coaching) on this level, you've paid your dues, you're going to make the call you think is necessary . . . It's a matter of getting your guys to execute, it's a matter of getting your guys to play with emotion, with passion for you. Not necessarily for you, but for something, for each other."

Mock it all you want, that's the emotional intelligence that Lurie was looking for. The players love playing for Doug, and that's a quality that you want in a HC. Not the only quality, but an important one

this_guy

Forget the Eagles and let's talk about the first game of the playoffs. Will the Texans score double digit points? It's definitely possible!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I know it's not going to happen but it would be nice if Romo came to Jacksonville.

We'll take Rex Ryan too.

Hindl

So this guy Hooker is supposedly the next Dawkins/Reed. Can we draft him at 15?

He's going to the Browns at 12. Besides, we have Jenkins and McLeod and I can't see him getting starting time over them for at least a few seasons, whereas we could conceivably get Cook, Fournette, Davis, Williams, Jones, Wilson, or other top tier prospects at our pick

You draft Hoover, im gonna draft Hooker pleighboi.

I'm glad the Eagles can help contribute to the dream of 8-8

Carson Wentz is a much better QB than Sam Bradford.

You do realize that Bradford annihilates him this year right? Sam is better in every single category this year, there is no comparison at all. The Eagles definitely traded away the better QB, the only hope is that Wentz can improve drastically going forward, even though that looks very doubtful right now.

Sammy B had more completions, on fewer attempts, more TDs, fewer ints, and more yards. Oh and Sam had a historically bad OL this year as well and no support at all from the run game. There is no argument at all that anyone could make for Wentz being better this year.

So this guy Hooker is supposedly the next Dawkins/Reed. Can we draft him at 15?

Safety isn't really a position of need. You could make a BPA argument for him if he's there when Eagles draft, but that's about it.

You do realize that Bradford annihilates him this year right? Sam is better in every single category this year, there is no comparison at all. The Eagles definitely traded away the better QB, the only hope is that Wentz can improve drastically going forward, even though that looks very doubtful right now.

Sammy B had more completions, on fewer attempts, more TDs, fewer ints, and more yards. Oh and Sam had a historically bad OL this year as well and no support at all from the run game. There is no argument at all that anyone could make for Wentz being better this year.

That's great. Carson Wentz's rookie stats are better than Sam Bradford's rookie stats. So he has to improve less than Sammy B did to get to that level.

Tom Penny

Bradford had Diggs and Kyle Rudolph though 🤔

Sephzilla

What happened last time they played

Lions played the Seahawks in 2015 in Seattle. Seahawks won 13-10.

Seattle has an all time 13-8 record against Detroit.

Gonna be 17 degrees in GB on Sunday, Can the Giants offense score more than 17 points?

A better question is will the Packers defense hold the Giants under 17.

@RVacchianoSNY
Eli Manning was "a little disappointed" in photos of his WRs on a boat in Miami. "They didn't pack accordingly. They didn't have any shirts"
"I was telling people I'm the one who took the picture. They just wouldn't let me in with my shirt off."

Safety isn't really a position of need. You could make a BPA argument for him if he's there when Eagles draft, but that's about it.

That's great. Carson Wentz's rookie stats are better than Sam Bradford's rookie stats. So he has to improve less than Sammy B did to get to that level.

That is a good point and I do hope that he does improve but I am extremely worried. He looked great the first few games but not much after that. There was a play against the Cowboys where DGB had a ton of separation running down the sideline and Wentz underthrew him so badly, I really do worry about him throwing deep. Everyone wants to blame the WRs, and my god do they suck, but Wentz misses deep so badly and so often it is a major concern. Everyone makes fun of Bradford for all the checkdowns and especially this year, but Sam's YPA is almost a full yard better.

From my earlier point that the Dolphins Defense is running on fumes and why I'd rather just sit Tannehill

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...-england-patriots-at-miami-dolphins-a-review/

So each week, I'll give the game tape a closer look. Here are some things I noticed:

Because of injuries, Miami is asking some defensive players to do more than anyone planned. There was a goal-line stand in the fourth quarter on Sunday in which four of the 11 Dolphins defensive players were Ndamukong Suh, Kiko Alonso, Earl Mitchell and Jordan Phillips. And the seven other players might not have been in on the field in this situation at the start of this season. This is not to disparage their legitimacy as NFL players, or to criticize their effort. But I noticed the other seven players were: Terrence Fede, Nick Williams, Jason Jones, Donald Butler, Neville Hewitt, Spencer Paysinger and Michael Thomas. Miami's depth has been stretched more than would have been imagined. Two of those players were claimed off waivers. Three of those players are known primarily for their very strong special teams play. Defensive coordinator Vance Joseph tried so many different formations and coverage schemes on Sunday, but it was nearly impossible to compensate for the absence of injured players like Reshad Jones, Isa Abdul-Quddus, Byron Maxwell, Jelani Jenkins, Koa Misi and the disappointment of benched free agent signee Mario Williams. Oh, and in case you forgot, LeGarrette Blount scored on that play, a 1-yard run to give the Patriots a 35-14 lead.

Top Bottom