• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card Playoffs |OT| - It's Time for a SWITCH™

Hindl

I need the Eagles to sign one of Kenny Britt or Robert Woods this off-season. Either one would be a huge upgrade to what we currently have. Assuming Jackson coming back is a lock

Jackson
Woods/Britt
Matthews
Rookie WR
Aggy
DGB

That's actually not bad.

I'd like that but if we're getting Jackson, especially on a deal, it might be better to target a FA CB instead of another WR. A solid FA CB combined with a rookie CB, and Jackson/Matthews/Rookie WR and Rookie RB would be a solid foundation

Pepiope

I'd like that but if we're getting Jackson, especially on a deal, it might be better to target a FA CB instead of another WR. A solid FA CB combined with a rookie CB, and Jackson/Matthews/Rookie WR and Rookie RB would be a solid foundation
I've heard this is a deep draft on the defensive side of the ball and RB. Idk. I figured we could spend a couple picks on DBs, get the RB, and sign a vet WR who can be here for 4-5 years (longer if we get Woods) to gel with Wentz.

I'm hoping Jackson comes here for 4-5M, and we can get Woods/Britt for 6-8M. 10-13M for two new starting outside WRs is not bad. Maybe that's a pipe dream though.

effzee

They are the worst. I sometimes think they exist solely to stir the pot instead of break news.

In fact, I would say that maybe fake news originated with Eagles press coverage.

What in that article at all indicates the media is bad at its job?

If anything that shows the Eagles are such a draw and there is such a demand for any information about the Eagles, that they have a larger group of people covering them.

I bet all writers covering different teams are characters, just there aren't 10+ covering every news release.

squicken

Listening to this press conference going on on wip right now, and I cant fucking believe that the Eagles still have a muddled structure. Howie says that Joe Douglas is in charge of player personal but that he is Joe's boss and that they will bounce stuff off of each other. Do others teams have these insane setups where no one can be blamed when moves dont work? Eagles need a Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcels type, a guy that stands up and takes the blame or the praise for moves. I hate this collective bullshit so much.
Kinda lame, but ultimately he's obviously running the show, so I think the mistakes will stick this time

effzee

I'll be interested. Obviously I am a Roseman supporter so it's nice to see the other side.

Some of the best parts are him basically acknowledging they have a lot of work to do, him highlighting the impact and importance of Joe Douglas, and how Douglas is going to be the one setting their draft board and key in making decisions about what players to go after. Howie had a nice jab at Chip saying he "wishes he could hop in a Delorean". He stated that 10-6 is not good enough and made it clear they are shooting for better. It's all sort of obvious stuff but he was very confident and concise about the goals for the offseason, and it really projected that internally the organization is in better shape than it has been in years.

Thank god he is pushing for more than 10-6. Not like that Chip.

On the Eagles front, they've had DRC, Nnamdi and Maxwell and none of them worked out.

Damn Chip for always making the worst CB FA pick ups.

effzee

Fucking asshole.

I honestly don't understand who cares about this story other than the reporters. McLane sucks anyway.

Just like why so many reporters locally cover the Eagles, obviously the fans care. Look at how much of a story it became on twitter with the fans overall.

How does McLane suck?

He's a rookie HC. Gotta give him time to adjust.

Yeah he is basically learning football on the fly. So new to the game we need to give him 2-3 seasons first.

BigAT

I have never played Mass Effect.

My friend raves about it.

Is this the type of game I would like?

I mean, you probably would have loved it if you played through the series a year ago. But now that we've seen what gaming looks like on the SWITCH™, it's kind of dog shit comparatively. All non-SWITCH™ gaming is frankly.

effzee

The offense wasn't the problem the first year with chip. Our defense sucked.

The issue is chip made the offense worse for whatever reason by forcing Jackson out, and the offense declined over the next two years until he was finally fired.

Losing Jackson didn't hurt as much as losing Foles to injury did.

Offense in his 3rd year obviously declined and its not shocking when you have 2 new starting RBs, new starting QB, 2 new starting WRs, and 2 new starters at OL.

I think most people understood it was actually year 1 for Chip with all the moves he was making and we would need to wait and see how it works out.

Not only did chip not do anything about the line, he got rid of Mathis and Herremans. He doesn't value the line as much as others, it backfired.

He values the line. He just didn't value those 2 guys at the price they wanted.

Problem isn't letting them go, its getting the replacements wrong. 1/3 of rosters are turned over every year but I've never seen such illogical reactions to cutting guys as when Chip did it.

Todd barely lasted a year in IND and Mathis retired a year later. Trent Cole is still bitching even though he was way past his prime.

Hindl

I've heard this is a deep draft on the defensive side of the ball and RB. Idk. I figured we could spend a couple picks on DBs, get the RB, and sign a vet WR who can be here for 4-5 years (longer if we get Woods) to gel with Wentz.

I'm hoping Jackson comes here for 4-5M, and we can get Woods/Britt for 6-8M. 10-13M for two new starting outside WRs is not bad. Maybe that's a pipe dream though.

True, but even top tier CB prospects can need up to a year to adjust to the NFL. I want to take 1-2 CBs in the draft, but pairing the top one with a veteran instead of having both getting thrown in would make a better impact. I'd be cool with Britt or Woods on their own but I'm not sure we can get them and Jackson, and it seems like Jackson is coming back. I think Jackson+rookie WR and vet CB+rookie CB is better than Jackson+Woods+rookie WR and two rookie CBs starting

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Weeden officially announced the back up QB for Saturday.

One step closer to that Weed future.....

5dF1MJj.gif

effzee

Joe Douglas is in charge of scouting, not player personnel, as far as I understood it. He makes all the decisions on how to rank prospective acquisitions, then Howie has final approval on picks. AKA Howie takes responsibility if picks fail, and doesn't pass the buck. He literally says he is the person who makes final decision. It's very black and white.

Is he the guy from the MS Surface ads for the NFL?

I need the Eagles to sign one of Kenny Britt or Robert Woods this off-season. Either one would be a huge upgrade to what we currently have. Assuming Jackson coming back is a lock

Jackson
Woods/Britt
Matthews
Rookie WR
Aggy
DGB

That's actually not bad.

Are the Eagles fielding an WR team?

They don't need Jackson who is about to fall off a cliff with his speed deteriorating. They need someone like him but 10 years younger.

You had a real # to Mathews, Aggy, and DGB and you are set. To me that is Alshon Jefferies.

Joe Douglas is in charge of scouting, not player personnel, as far as I understood it. He makes all the decisions on how to rank prospective acquisitions, then Howie has final approval on picks. AKA Howie takes responsibility if picks fail, and doesn't pass the buck. He literally says he is the person who makes final decision. It's very black and white.

Him saying that Joe is in charge of the board made it seem like, blame that guy if stuff sucks. So I hope you are right that it is actually more clear now.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Jason Cole now reporting O'Brien is out of they lose the wildcard game due to his "aggressive coaching style"....

He made Brock cry.

edit- I just saw your later posts... smh he really did lol

What in that article at all indicates the media is bad at its job?

If anything that shows the Eagles are such a draw and there is such a demand for any information about the Eagles, that they have a larger group of people covering them.

I bet all writers covering different teams are characters, just there aren't 10+ covering every news release.

Nothing in that article does. Ten minutes of reading and/or listening to most local sports media tell you. There are downright factual inaccuracies in most of their articles that you can check with simple googling half the time. Yes, the team is a huge draw, it's true. It's a big media market too. That doesn't really excuse the writers/journalists from being awful in their conjecture half the time, and purposefully stoking flames of ignorant fans for clicks and ad revenue. The amount of baseless and wild speculation alone should bring awareness to that fact.

The only good one is Ray Didinger. The last Eagles beat writer that got me excited was Sheil Kapadia, and he left town to cover the Seahawks.

Him saying that Joe is in charge of the board made it seem like, blame that guy if stuff sucks. So I hope you are right that it is actually more clear now.

That's how I understood it and how the guys on the radio I was listening to explained it.

Howie also said that they are getting a clear picture from Pederson as to what sorts of players he wants to fill in the holes on his offense and defense. He made it sound like he never got that information from Chip.

MechDX

I mentioned it on twitter but it's kind of odd how the Bleacher Report article comes out claiming the Texans FO isn't happy with BOBs aggressive coaching style then not an hour later it "leaks",there was a shouting match between O'Brien and Osweiler in the Titans game.

Why wouldn't a shouting match between a HC and the QB not be out there right after the game?

bionic77

I mean, you probably would have loved it if you played through the series a year ago. But now that we've seen what gaming looks like on the SWITCH™, it's kind of dog shit comparatively. All non-SWITCH™ gaming is frankly.
You are an intelligent person and I cannot really dispute anything you are saying because it was 100% factual.

i will say to be kind to the mouth breathers that maybe we not advertise to them that they are playing turdy games because it might hurt their feelings. We will just say one of those made up sayings like "it is a matter of taste" when DM tells us he prefers Call of Duty 15* to gaming on Switch.

* Dude also thinks that hot dogs and Olive Garden is fine ass dining so that tells you all you need to know about him...

Just messin' with you, friend! We will always have our Fire Emblem bond. <3

Definitely hoping to get a Switch this year!
Speaking of people with great taste.

See you are at launch friend! The Switch can help us forget about the shiftiness that is America under the Patriot/Trump administration. No matter what happens we will always have the Switch..

bionic77

Me waiting 5-10 more years for KH3
giphy.gif
You guys love KH that much?

I liked both games, but they seem like dumb RPG fun more than anything else. The art and music was fantastic but the story and gameplay was dumber than a Pats fan.

Speaking of KH I remember being home from law school when I was trying to finish the first one and screaming at my mom who kept telling me to come downstairs for dinner (I don't think you could pause the ending and at the time I was hoping for some sort of epic Sora+ his bitch (whatever he name was) ending). Parents just don't understand.

Grexeno

I liked both games, but they seem like dumb RPG fun more than anything else. The art and music was fantastic but the story and gameplay was dumber than a Pats fan.

Speaking of KH I remember being home from law school when I was trying to finish the first one and screaming at my mom who kept telling me to come downstairs for dinner (I don't think you could pause the ending and at the time I was hoping for some sort of epic Sora+ his bitch (whatever he name was) ending). Parents just don't understand.
DAD

YOU JUST DON'T FUCKING GET IT

I CAN'T JUST SAVE WHENEVER THE HELL I WANT

Jim Kelly and Bill Polian took to the air of an ownership-friendly Bills radio show to trash Tyrod today

Jim said:
He's too inconsistent on times when we really really need him...lacks the camaraderie that we need to see or need to hear as former players in the locker room
Also implied he isn't a leader, was late to meetings, and didn't hold teammates accountable

Come back to us Tyrod, we'll treat you right

It absolutely was dumb, the story was beyond ridiculous and you couldn't hope to comprehend or follow along with any of it. And I think that made me love it even more

It made me dumb too. I got a PS3 just for the hope of it and FFVersus

and then a PS4

But at least I got FFVersus, so I have hopes for it coming out eventually!!!

probably gonna need a PS4 for it :'[

EAGLES DANGEROUSLY MISGUIDED TO BELIEVE THEY'RE 'CLOSE'
Ruben Frank said:
There are few things in sports as misguided and dangerous as a team believing that a few close losses means they’re on the brink of greatness.

That’s the theme we’ve been hearing out of the NovaCare Complex for the last few weeks.

That a bunch of close losses — losses by seven points or less to the Lions, Cowboys, Giants, Ravens and Redskins twice — could easily have gone the other way if the ball just happened to bounce differently.

“When you look back on the season, it's going to come down to about six or seven plays that could change the outcome of your season and flip it for you,” head coach Doug Pederson said last week. “So we were right there.”

The reality? The Eagles were not “right there.” And nobody involved in this disappointing season has any right to say they were.

And this is the last thing any Eagles fan should want to hear right now.

Because it indicates a franchise that has deluded itself into believing it’s closer than it really is. It ignores the reality the Eagles weren’t on the brink of anything this year. It pretends the talent to be a legit contender is here, and it’s not.

Losing close games means one thing. You lost.

It doesn’t mean that magically those close losses will become close wins next year.

Let’s look around the league.

The Jaguars finished 3-13 and fired their coach. They lost nine games by seven or fewer points. Are we supposed to believe they were nine plays from being a 12-4 team?

The Bears went 3-13. Six losses by a touchdown or less. Did they look like they were a few bounces of the football away from a 9-7 record?

The Bills were a 7-9 team with six losses by seven points or less. Right on the brink of 13-3, right?

You can play this pointless game for just about any bad team.

The Eagles won two games from Sept. 26 through Dec. 21. A 3-0 start became a 5-9 record. And the close losses and these last two wins better not delude anybody in the front office into thinking the Eagles suddenly figured anything out.

The Giants win was a good win, and it’s always nice to beat the Cowboys, but that was Mark Sanchez and a bunch of scrubs out there, for crying out loud. Everybody went home happy Sunday, but in the big picture, beating a Cowboys team resting its starters for the playoffs is nothing to brag about.

The reality is this team won three games against teams playing their starters after Week 3.

The reality is that a bunch of close losses don’t mask the fact that the roster is shockingly low on elite young players.

The reality is the Eagles have the NFL’s worst group of wide receivers, they once again need wholesale changes at cornerback, they don’t have a franchise running back, they’re desperate for a pass rusher and there are serious questions up and down the offensive line.

The Eagles recorded the second-fewest offensive plays of 30 yards or more in the NFL this year — just 12 all year. And they allowed the third-most — 33, just two off the lead.

Their offense can’t make a big play down the field, and their defense can’t stop big plays down the field. Bad combination.

Two of their best offensive players, Darren Sproles and Jason Peters, are 33 and 34, respectively. Key defensive guys like Brandon Graham and Malcolm Jenkins are going into their eighth and ninth seasons. One-time Pro Bowl veterans like Connor Barwin and Jason Kelce face an uncertain future.

The head coach, while liked by his players and generally able to get them to play hard, made enough poor gameday decisions to raise legitimate questions about his ability to guide the franchise to elite level even with a stocked roster.

But there is no stocked roster. Years and years of poor drafting have caught up with the Eagles, who haven’t won a playoff game in eight years and haven’t even reached the playoffs in three years.

There is a small nucleus here of promising young players, and it begins with Carson Wentz and continues with Jordan Hicks, Fletcher Cox, Zach Ertz and Jordan Matthews. They do have a very impressive, very promising young quarterback, and that is a terrific start.

But there is so much work to do, not a ton of salary cap room to do it with and a front office run by a guy with a weak track record for identifying and selecting talented college players.

This is a last-place team, the only team in the NFC East that hasn’t reached the playoffs the last two years, one of only 12 NFL teams that hasn’t been to the postseason the last three years.

The Eagles are not close. They are not on the brink. They are not a few bounces away from being an elite team.

And the people running the franchise better understand that or it's never going to change.

Jim Kelly and Bill Polian took to the air of an ownership-friendly Bills radio show to trash Tyrod today

Also implied he isn't a leader, was late to meetings, and didn't hold teammates accountable

Come back to us Tyrod, we'll treat you right
They also said that on ESPN too during NFL Insiders.

E: I think Kelly also wanted Floy's boy Cardale Jones to start a couple of games

Dishwalla

Banned
Both the Texans and the Raiders are going to go so hard after the QB's, the thing I'm most afraid of is Cook getting hurt too. Really hope our O-line protects the crap out of him.

Pepiope

EAGLES DANGEROUSLY MISGUIDED TO BELIEVE THEY'RE 'CLOSE'
Saw this the other day, ignored it. Every team in the NFL can turn it around in a year, unless you're the Browns. We just witnessed in our own division the 6-10 Giants and 4-12 Cowboys turn it around and go 11-5, 13-3. So screw that guy.

Saw this the other day, ignored it. Every team in the NFL can turn it around in a year, unless you're the Browns. We just witnessed in our own division the 6-10 Giants and 4-12 Cowboys turn it around and go 11-5, 13-3. So screw that guy.

The 2014 Cleveland Browns also went 7-9. They lost 5 out of those 9 games by 10 points or less (4 by 7 points or less). Are the Browns a dynasty now?

bionic77

It absolutely was dumb, the story was beyond ridiculous and you couldn't hope to comprehend or follow along with any of it. And I think that made me love it even more

It made me dumb too. I got a PS3 just for the hope of it and FFVersus

and then a PS4

But at least I got FFVersus, so I have hopes for it coming out eventually!!!

probably gonna need a PS4 for it :'[
The story between Sora and his bitch (Kari?) and the stuff with Mickey and the gang was pretty cool. But everything else was bonkers. I did like how he went to save Riku, even though he was a little bitch ass bitch in the beginning (assuming he was jealous of Sora's girl).

I can still hear that song.

I would get a KH3 (on Switch) but I honestly don't even remember what the story is anymore.

Pepiope

The 2014 Cleveland Browns also went 7-9. They lost 5 out of those 9 games by 10 points or less (4 by 7 points or less). Are the Browns a dynasty now?
You ignored the part where I said "unless you're the Browns".

And "can" turn it around. It's not a guarantee, but to say it isn't possible is stupid. A lot can happen in an offseason.

I want to like the KH franchise, but man the fucking story and the gameplay for 1+2 (I hear BBS is better) just makes it way hard to do so. There's no saving the story, its a convoluted mess that would make most anime's blush in how stupid its story is. The gameplay there are breif moments when it clicks, but most of the time its just okay and slightly to somewhat frustrating.

this_guy

What are you Texans fans going to do for the game?

I'm probably going to meet up with some friends and check the box score after the game to see if we won.

Top Bottom