• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card Playoffs |OT| - It's Time for a SWITCH™

Farooq

Banned
His lower half has always been messy, that arm makes up for it. Not sure he's going to ever get better in that area, take the good with the bad I guess.

I sometimes think that having a great arm can sometimes be a detriment in a way that a QB who has an ability to scramble can be a detriment. It is like a crutch you can fall back on when a play gets chaotic. You aren't forced to throw with a great base because you can get away with it.

I don't know what this means?

I can see this happening. He needs to rebuild his cred. The man's image is tarnished
Make JT a Heisman candidate again would be a good start..

Chip's problem is that unless a random firing happens.. there isn't a college job opening (that's assuming he wants to go back to college since his well known hatred of recruiting) in the Power 5. (ND can't fire Kelly with a 20 million dollar buyout so they're stuck with him at least another couple of years).

I don't know if an NFL team is going to want to take another chance on him after his last two stints.

Penn State is in the Rose Bowl today?

Time to root for USC.
We are all fighting Scooter fans

LJ11

I sometimes think that having a great arm can sometimes be a detriment in a way that a QB who has an ability to scramble can be a detriment. It is like a crutch you can fall back on when a play gets chaotic. You aren't forced to throw with a great base because you can get away with it.

Yeah, most definitely, gifted athletes can get into bad habits.

Vixdean

And he still made some great throws this year. I think he is what he is and you live with him being wild with the high throws sometimes b/c he is so good most of the time. But this year I thought there were issues beyond accuracy. I saw the same thing with Rivers too. Just throwing deep into coverage when it wasn't really wise

Basically this, he's never going to be a perfectly polished pocket passer, and that will manifest itself more when the protection breaks down as it did all too often this year. The decision making is probably the main thing I was disappointed in, I want to see more checkdowns and less fuck it just chuck it.

On the Panthers in general, this coaching staff and front office deserves a mulligan (except for Shula, he's always been terrible) on this season. No major shakeups, just address the obvious holes on the roster, get healthy and be ready for another run next year.

MechDX

I keep thinking about that Jay Glazer comment yesterday. I have this gut feeling that minus a couple playoff wins O'Brien wont be back in Houston next year and it wont be because he got fired.

Mindlog

The year 2017

1+7 = 8

2-0 = 2

Two sets of 8.

8-8

They don't want you to know #staywoke
My VPN blew up after I read that.
lMGII0W.png

Lol black Monday
These coaches still get paid
$$$$$$$$$

Fail, get fired , still get paid
America 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

David Chappine
‏@DavidChappine
According to @MikeGarafolo, Chip Kelly and others in the 49ers building wanted Dak Prescott in the draft but Baalke didn't draft him. Wow.

We had a first round grade on Russell Wilson...

We would have taken Tom Brady in the first if we needed a QB...

Baalke is a blithering idiot, and should never be allowed anywhere near a GM position ever again.

Quoting myself on Cam from yesterday

Yeah part of that inaccuracy is on him but part is on not getting clean pockets or time to throw, receivers not getting separation and yes, drops. Not to mention that's he been playing through a bum throwing shoulder for a month and a half.

Do I think Cam will ever be a super accurate passer? No, especially if they continue to rely so heavily on a downfield passing scheme. His mechanics are what they are at this point and he's always gonna to rely on superior arm talent over fundamentals. Even last year he was a sub 60% passer.

But his talent is undeniable. We know he can play the position and play it at a high level. We know that if you put the pieces around him, he can take them to success. You can win a Super Bowl with Cam Newton. To say that the Panthers should hit the reset button and start looking at other options at QB would be an overreaction to an off season.

On the Panthers in general, this coaching staff and front office deserves a mulligan (except for Shula, he's always been terrible) on this season. No major shakeups, just address the obvious holes on the roster, get healthy and be ready for another run next year.

Yep.

At the end of the day, 9-7 made the playoffs. The Panthers ended up 6-10 and you could argue that they should have won/had a good shot at winning 5 of those games they lost (Broncos, Bucs I/II, Chiefs, Raiders). This season was more a story of missing opportunities than just consistently bad football. The core of the team is still strong, they just need to stop trying to fix the holes with dollar store scotch tape. What's the point of all that work Getts did to get the Panthers out of cap hell just to not use that cap room when its available? The only person who gains from that is Richardson (who lets be fair, has directed his GM to save on football expenditures before, see 2010)

jbug617

Banned
Wade is not getting the job in Denver.

Vance Joseph is going to get hired this offseason. My guess is the Broncos

Vikings final OL tally

-12 different players played offensive line this year
-Rashad Hill, signed off JAX practice squad, finished the year at LT
-He was one of 5 LTs who played the position this year
-8 different starting offensive line combinations
-No player started more than 14 games on the offensive line
-No player played more than 88% of the offensive snaps

Number of OL who took more than 88% of the snaps for:

NE 5
HOU 3
PIT 3
KC 4
OAK 4
MIA 2

DAL 3 (would have been 5 but for resting starters)
ATL 5
GB 3
SEA 2 (Russ Wilson the real MVP)
NYG 4
DET 3

Top 5 scoring offenses

ATL
NO (4 OL over 88%)
NE
GB
DAL
So, seems like Rodgers should be mvp then?

MechDX

Wade is not getting the job in Denver.

Vance Joseph is going to get hired this offseason. My guess is the Broncos

I like Vance Joseph but I dont get the supposed rush to hire him as a head coach. Only been a DC one time, this year in Miami and its not like the Dolphins defense set the world on fire.

On that thought, Chiefsplanet is probabaly the worst sepecific online football fanbase/forum as far as NFL forums goes so I'm not surprised. So much racism, hatred and overall bigotry.

Chiefs-GAF is fine though from what I've seen

Agreed. they are the worst. Especially at the SB nation boards

Farooq

Banned
I wonder if Linehan gets a HC gig. Will Romo follow him?

Edit: Well, it looks like he isn't getting any interviews yet.

WedgeX

Banned
On that thought, Chiefsplanet is probabaly the worst sepecific online football fanbase/forum as far as NFL forums goes so I'm not surprised. So much racism, hatred and overall bigotry.

Chiefs-GAF is fine though from what I've seen

Except that guy.

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
An Elway-Shanahan connection again? Broncos have requested permission to interview Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan, per source.

Well that is a unique wrinkle.

Who had the more disappointing season, Denver or Carolina?

In the context of just this season? Denver.

But I bet it feels a whole lot better not making the playoffs the year after you won the Super Bowl as opposed to not making the playoffs the year after you embarrassed yourself on national TV in the Super Bowl.

RBH

C09MzB4XgAA640X.jpg

The Buffalo Bills made the "business decision" to bench starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor for the regular season finale, a move that for obvious reasons did not sit well with the six-year veteran.

Taylor was just coming off the best game of his career against the Miami Dolphins in Week 16, but with the firing of head coach Rex Ryan, general manager Doug Whaley made the decision to bench the quarterback for the final week of the season. And for the first time since he has come to Buffalo, he let his emotions show during the team's locker room clean out.

"That decision is on them. I feel like I’ve done enough as far as my play to be the starter here," Taylor said when asked about his future with the team. "It wasn’t like I was outplayed, it was simply taken from me… and that decision came from them. We’ll see what the future holds."

"Did I believe that was fair? No I didn't."

The quarterback said the GM, Whaley, approached him after the decision had been made. It was described as a brief meeting, and one that echoed the same sentiments that were put out through interim head coach Anthony Lynn last week: it was a "business decision."

Taylor said that the move showed an overall lack of faith in him as a quarterback, and dismissed the notion of the injury guarantee clause because he had been playing all season long under those terms. There have been some reports about a groin injury that may need surgery, and Taylor confirmed that the first medical opinion he sought out believes it's significant enough to have a procedure done. He also said that he'd be going to get a second opinion.

If the Bills declined the option to bring him back for the 2017 season, would Taylor be open to the idea of restructuring his contract?

"It's too early to tell right now. Maybe that's a possibility down the line, but we'll visit when and if that happens."

As for now, Taylor is on hold as to his future until the Bills finally make a decision -- just like the fans who are interested in seeing what the team will do with it as well. For now, the Bills enter the offseason with a lot of questions about the position, and a clearly unhappy starting quarterback with how it all went down.
http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/bills-qb-tyrod-taylor-on-starting-job-it-was-taken-from-me

Hindl

Who had the more disappointing season, Denver or Carolina?

Carolina. Denver lost a HoF QB even though he was crippled, and were starting Trevor Siemian. And they lost some defensive pieces. Panthers mainly just lost Norman and their OL play was horrible. Though Cam possibly could've been secretly concussed for a lot of the season with some of the shots he took

Denver. Defense balled out but had no QB

In the context of just this season? Denver.

But I bet it feels a whole better not making the playoffs the year after you won the Super Bowl as opposed to not making the playoffs the year after you embarrassed yourself on national TV in the Super Bowl.

I disagree. Denver started a first-year QB, and lost a lot of pieces on defense. I know Carolina lost Norman, but they also got Benjamin back (even though turns out he's not that good).

Carolina is way more surprising.

Top Bottom