• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card Playoffs |OT| - It's Time for a SWITCH™

effzee

Whaley is amazing, he survived a ownership change and yet still has all this power after fucking taking EJ Manuel and having strong disagreements with multiple coaches (wasn't he the reason Marrone left town?)

Rick Smith is also surprising, in that, all his years there, he can't bring in a single good QB. Can't draft them and when he gets a shot at a FA QB, he takes Osweiler. I'm assuming Schaub was long enough ago that it wasn't Smith who took him. Schaub was a decent QB for a while.

I think Marrone left cause he thought he was being slick with a provision in his contract that allowed him to walk away with a full salary and would land another HC job.

Being forced to keep a coach with almost no success in the NFL is going to severely limit your GM options. GM's want their own guy, it's that simple

Then he should have been fired a year ago so Chip could have paired with a new GM and given more than a season. This just seems like another dumb move.

Drakeon

I think Marrone left cause he thought he was being slick with a provision in his contract that allowed him to walk away with a full salary and would land another HC job.

Then he should have been fired a year ago so Chip could have paired with a new GM and given more than a season. This just seems like another dumb move.

Yeah, Jed's pretty well known for those. At this point, Harbaugh was a fluke.

I think you're right, Marrone thought he'd get the Jets job by all accounts. I still think he didn't agree with Whaley. Whaley didn't get along with Rex either.

I got this as well, and I still can't understand why. The only reason any of Baalke's picks looked good was because of Harbaugh. Look at how fucking awful this team is with all of Baalke's boys.

Jed York should die of a gonorrhea and burn in hell.

Reminder Jed ruined a franchise as historic as the 49ers because Jim Harbaugh hurt his feelings

effzee

Of the names floated so far for GM (Caseiro in NE, Ballard from KC) do you like any of them? I was going over Barrow's possible hires and I probably prefer Ballard. I'm not thrilled about McDaniels/Caseiro combination hire, if only because I remember the shitshow he had in Denver (and fucking trading up for Tebow in the first round).

With how much he hammered the idea of a coach and GM being in sync, it makes sense they would look to hire an assistant and FO member from the same organization

What happens when all of the perennial "TEAMS YOU DONT WANT TO SEE IN THE PLAYOFFSSSSS" in the NFC get together (Giants, Packers, Seahawks).

We shall see!

@AdamSchefter
Jaguars QB Blake Bortles told @ESPNdirocco that he played this season with two shoulder separations and wrist tendonitis.

Doomsayer

Of the names floated so far for GM (Caseiro in NE, Ballard from KC) do you like any of them? I was going over Barrow's possible hires and I probably prefer Ballard. I'm not thrilled about McDaniels/Caseiro combination hire, if only because I remember the shitshow he had in Denver (and fucking trading up for Tebow in the first round).

Ballard is actually my preference as well, I don't want anything to do with McDaniels though.

Black & Blue Review
‏@BlackBlueReview
Asked if he feels Mike Shula is still the right man at OC, RR: ”Yes."

Rowboat's loyalty (or lack of guts) will end up costing him his job if they aren't competitive again by next year. Shula is an anchor. On this team, and on Newton and Rivera's careers.

Final 2016 defensive standings (points allowed/game)
1. NE - 15.6
2. @Giants - 17.8
3. SEA - 18.3
*Seahawks were No. 1 previous four seasons

Offensive touchdowns allowed in 2016
1. @Giants - 25
2. NE - 27
3. DEN - 28
4. MIN - 31
5t. KC - 33
5t. HOU - 33

So nice to have a Giants defense to be proud of. Now about the offense....

bionic77

It's surprising how many coaches and GMs survive or get fired based on owners feelings or egos.
That is not surprising at all.

Most owners are not like the Rooneys. They are literally a football family and that is their business so they run it like a business. For most of these owners their team is just a really expensive toy. Some people like to take care of their toys and play with them properly. Those owners do well. Others like to rip the pieces off and set them on fire. That is how they get enjoyment (see Niners ownership). But its their toy and they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Tebow made the playoffs
Not due to his efforts

Black & Blue Review
‏@BlackBlueReview
Asked if he feels Mike Shula is still the right man at OC, RR: “Yes.”

Rowboat's loyalty (or lack of guts) will end up costing him his job if they aren't competitive again by next year. Shula is an anchor. On this team, and on Newton and Rivera's careers.
UNC winning the Natty or The Falcons winning the Super Bowl?

Which would be worst?

MechDX

That is not surprising at all.

Most owners are not like the Rooneys. They are literally a football family and that is their business so they run it like a business. For most of these owners their team is just a really expensive toy. Some people like to take care of their toys and play with them properly. Those owners do well. Others like to rip the pieces off and set them on fire. That is how they get enjoyment (see Niners ownership). But its their toy and they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Bob McNair is the kid that had every Go-Bot made and tried to convince all the cool kids with Transformers that he should be allowed to play with them while getting mocked and laughed at

Not due to his efforts

UNC winning the Natty or The Falcons winning the Super Bowl?

Which would be worst?

The Falcons winning the Super Bowl no contest.

I've lived through two Carolina basketball titles in the past 11 years. Not ideal, but not the worst thing ever.

The Failcons actually not failing would literally shake my faith in sports and the human condition for good.

bionic77

Bob McNair is the kid that had every Go-Bot made and tried to convince all the cool kids with Transformers that he should be allowed to play with them while getting mocked and laughed at
To be fair to the morons in your analogy.

GoBots were cool if you had never seen Transformers. But the second you saw the toys or cartoon you wanted to throw your GoBots directly into the garbage can. Anyone who persisted with GoBots after they knew about Transformers was fundamentally flawed as a person.

That is kind if how it happened for me. I had some GoBots and thought they were cool (not sure which came out first but this is what happened to at least two other friends) and then we all wanted to throw them in the trash and upgrade to Optimus Prime the second we saw a Transformers commercial.

this_guy

To be fair to the morons in your analogy.

GoBots were cool if you had never seen Transformers. But the second you saw the toys or cartoon you wanted to throw your GoBots directly into the garbage can. Anyone who persisted with GoBots after they knew about Transformers was fundamentally flawed as a person.

That is kind if how it happened for me. I had some GoBots and thought they were cool (not sure which came out first but this is what happened to at least two other friends) and then we all wanted to throw them in the trash and upgrade to Optimus Prime the second we saw a Transformers commercial.

Hey NFL GAF - Bionic had GoBots!

Hahahahahahahaha

Let's all point and laugh at him.

@AlbertBreer
Bills GM Doug Whaley asked if he had input into Rex Ryan's firing. Answers "no", then looks at reporter and says it again -- "No."
... So the GM wasn't part of the decision to fire the coach, then the interim coach wasn't part of the call to bench the QB

So basically the Bills just nuked themselves pretty much entirely because the owner doesn't want to pay Tyrod. And he still might have to, anyway

BillsGAF, is there any legitimate reason for liking the owner now besides the obvious "wasn't Bon Jovi and wanted to keep the team in the area"

@AlbertBreer
Bills GM Doug Whaley asked if he had input into Rex Ryan's firing. Answers "no", then looks at reporter and says it again -- "No."
... So the GM wasn't part of the decision to fire the coach, then the interim coach wasn't part of the call to bench the QB

So basically the Bills just nuked themselves pretty much entirely because the owner doesn't want to pay Tyrod. And he still might have to, anyway

BillsGAF, is there any legitimate reason for liking the owner now besides the obvious "wasn't Bon Jovi and wanted to keep the team in the area"
I don't know how I feel about teams doing things that could normally expected of from Cleveland and us not doing those.. for the moment

Drakeon

@AlbertBreer

Buffalo doing its best to keep would be HC candidates away I see.

MechDX

Mike Chappell ✔ @mchappell51
Pagano: Is talent better than 8-8 record? "great question. interesting question.'
12:59 PM - 2 Jan 2017

Mike Chappell ✔ @mchappell51
Pagano: Why do you think this can be turned around? Faith, belief. We have the best quarterback in the league.

Zak Keefer ✔ @zkeefer
Pagano filibuster clock: 11 minutes.

He's spent the last 3 minutes talking about special teams. I'm not kidding.

a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago
San Diego is off and running: Chargers have requested permission for HC interview with Patriots DC Matt Patricia, per source.

Patricia getting an interview

Just saw Thomas Davis and Charles Johnson at the mall.

Pretty funny how low key their presence was. Guess it's harder to recognize football players when they don't have helmets and jersey numbers on their backs

MechDX

Ok we have a winner from the Pagano presser!

Gregg Doyel ✔ @GreggDoyelStar
Pagano says beating Jacksonville proves team has "right guys, coaches and players."

Ryan-Reynolds-confused.gif

Seeing all these comments from the end of the season pressers is kinda great. Browns coming up soon😳😳😳😳

Edit: holy shit Malik Hooker declared for draft. Thought he was staying at Ohio state. Floy and Deshaun broke him :/

Albert Breer ‏ @ AlbertBreer 4m 4 minutes ago
Albert Breer Retweeted Malik Hooker
Ohio State S Malik Hooker declares for the NFL Draft. Again, maybe the best college safety I've ever seen, even if it was only for a year.

Dane Brugler ‏ @ dpbrugler 31s 32 seconds ago
I always wait until the underclassmen deadline before posting my top-50 draft board. I started mapping it out last night, Hooker is at No. 5

jed york is such a fucking clown. the only hope i have is that there was a time that, despite his ineptitude and lack of knowledge, we were a successful team. but that hope is highly diminished knowing that there is only 1 harbs on this planet and he's not coming back :(

i will say that as far as coaches go i like mcdaniels and i like shannahan but the thing is ok we bring in either of those guys well we don't have the offensive talent that either the pats or falcons have so what are they going to do?

Top Bottom